Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I presume it must of being his own young lads match?According to gaa website Glenmore defeated the village last Saturday in u13.Terrible carry on if true and unfortunately there can be horrible things shouted in from the line at most matches and unfortunately this goes on in alot of sports.Its a very poor example to be setting for young lads particularly.I hope this is resolved because anyone genuine doesn't want to see this going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

It was the Comer v Village u13 game last week & it was Richie's young lad allegedly got the knee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Didn’t happen and wasn’t his lad. Kid fell over - too many adults on sideline from both sides and he more or less fell into a man who tried to protect the falling kid, definitely didn’t trip him or knee him. Excitable adults - on both sides eventually cooled down. Comer were a couple of goals up at the time and village a bit upset. They were favs to win it out. People should really get their facts right before they "hazard a guess" as to what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Power shouldn't be tweeting anything of the sort. Reckless stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

There are many avenues to make a complaint. Twitter should be down around number 99 of those. It's nothing more than an attention seeking platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I would definitely agree with your last sentiment and to be honest Cody's influence is already suffocating and all encompassing. The difference in some players I've heard about recently when well treated, supported and respected by their club management teams have been transformative compared to how their treated with the various county setups. These young players came back from county setups and looked like pale shadows of the players the club knew when they sent them in. It took a lot of work but the 5 players I've heard about (from just talking to lads from 3 different clubs) is staggering. These guys went from being very good county prospects to being some of the clubs worst players but with understanding and patient management teams these guys have been built back up. I would fear for what we're doing to good prospective players with poor quality coaching and overly aggressive management in our county setup. What if good players come back from these setups and meet lads just as ignorant in their clubs that could be a very good playing career ruined before it starts. This is always a fear in any era but it should be a club that doesn't have the coaches or bad management that messes a player up, not the county setup doing most of the damage.

I'll concede that Lyng actually didn't do much to improve the style of play our young lads used for the last two years. I'd still give him a full year uninterrupted by Covid to see can he get them playing a smarter brand of hurling. I find it staggering looking at the games over the last few months/weeks at minor and senior level the variety and adaptability of our players to play different systems, yet at all levels of the county setup we're playing like it was 1974. It's worrying to see the contrast so clearly, if it's so obvious to a hurling dolt like me how come the county board and our various management teams can't ask these guys to do the same things. As you said and the first point I referenced Cody has an iron grip on Kilkenny hurlings throat and he ain't letting go. Hopefully it still has some life in it whenever he finally does let go. Anyone who says we don't have the players and haven't produced the players to contest an All Ireland evidently don't watch club hurling in the county because the dogs in the street can tell you we have the players when their used right and given a good gameplan they can work with. Not just Codys team talks which from what I've heard include all the clichés you'd get if you asked a lad off the street to give a team talk "fight hard" "win your own ball" "great spirit" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Ah Lad take it easy there.

I have had lads on the development squads, given the oldest were treated very unfairly. The youngest is getting some amount of coaching and help. At the very first session they were given a strength and condition programme to do. Now I know a few that threw it away but most a doing it. He is doing it and loads more to try to build his conditioning. I was told they will return to squads in October when the championships are concluded.

Great I'm glad to hear it and I hope he gets on great. I'm more referring to minor and above maybe lads will say they need to toughen up but I don't think we can be affording to throw any young talented players by the wayside. If their not prepared to do the work then thats a different story, but if lads are working hard then let them hurl. One of the lads I'm talking about is hugely talented and hearlded a by lots inside and outside his club but his confidence has crashed over the last while mainly because of treatment in county setups (not development squads) but he's bouncing back great for his club with patience and good coaching. From what I've heard I'm optimistic about what might happen in our development squads in the next while, the issue is when you go the next step up the coaching and management currently don't seem to be on the same page.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I have to agree with you on this! Just even looking at last weekends game Ciaran Brennan looked like a different player to the player who was taken off early in the U-20 game this year, he’s a lad with great potential but maybe is benefitting from a bit of better training in the club! You could easily include Liam Blanchfield in that too, looking at him on Sunday you’d wonder how he’s got so little game time over the last couple of years and when he plays with Kilkenny he looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Agree 100%. Along with both those lads, I would include Sean Morrissey who seemed to lose all confidence when he went in to train with the county and set him back a couple of years. Not all players respond to "tough love" and need encouragement, feedback and the feeling that management have confidence in them

I have always felt that Cody has deliberately gone harder on known "prospects"

I'm unsure that is a good policy, especially in 2021. Roaring at lads, always the stick never the carrot.

Power, Cha, TJ and Hogan all got treated roughly espeically in the first few years

Richie Hogan was left out of 2010 team and was only introduced 3rd forward sub in 62nd min with game gone, sound familiar?

TJ almost walked away entirely 8-9 years ago sick of being whipped off. Power was on and off the team for first few years and we all know the Cha ending.

Cody himself was a prodigy but was treated like dirt by selectors 1977-1981 and it's long been my belief that experience framed him, "if i had to suffer, so can they".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

The longer Cody stays the longer this circus goes on. Why would Liam Blanchfield make himself available to Cody after his antics v Cork in the semi final. Cody whipped off 3 players who barely struck a ball in the match and brought them back on before Blanchfield. You would not see it in under 15 club championship tonight.

His relationship or lack of with DJ is well documented. His treatment or Richie Hogan, Colin Fennelly walking away. Comerford and Mcgarry ready to walk away over what ever happened at full time/ extra time of All Ireland Semi Final. The Ballyhale contingent making it clear to everyone that Shefflin is light years ahead of Cody when it comes to management.

Cody has created a circus and his end cant come soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I would agree.

Its time for someone to make that decision to either walk away, or to cut him loose.

Whos has the liathroidi to do either ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Over the last few years I’d always have been very reluctant to look for Cody to go and to be too critical of him. This was partly out of loyalty and respect for everything he has achieved for Kilkenny hurling and the great times we’ve had as supporters over this period. Also I didn’t believe there was anyone out there who I’d be confident would do a better job.

Over the years whenever Kilkenny have lost big games I’d have always been disappointed but would have thought we’d given it out best shot and just lost to a better team. However over the last couple of years the disappointment over a loss has been replaced by a bit of anger because it’s plain to everyone here and everyone watching us play that we aren’t getting the best from our players and not playing in a way that best suits our resources! Now all of that of course isn’t all the managers fault and the players have to take a good bit of criticism also.

I think thing now when we look at the team and Cody’s management of the team is that the main question is are we improving or are there signs of progress and since 2019 when we beat Limerick I don’t think we’ve progressed enough or shown enough signs that we’re making progress. Unfortunately for the good of Kilkenny hurling and for Cody’s own legacy I think now is the time to step aside and let a new face, whoever that may be, bring a bit of freshness to things.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

No one at county board level will have the liathroidi to do either, he has the job unopposed for as long as he wants it. But I'm fairly convinced you will see a mutiny from the stands in the next couple of years and then he and the county board will know where the Kilkenny hurling public stand. He is a great man to have achieved what he did a legend in my book. But hurling has changed drastically even since 2015 and he is unwilling or unable to embrace that change. I said after the 2016 final when he stood with his arms folded and watched Tipp tactics destroy our back line that he should have went then, the game of hurling was moving on right there and he didn't do a thing to shore up the backs. His legacy is going to end on an unsavoury note and it will happen in a big game for everyone to see. Boos and jeers lads Boos and jeers it's coming unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I would have been a loyal supporter of Brian Cody up to 3 years ago. Hurling has changed in recent years and he appears not to want to change his ways. He has tried a few things but he doesn't seem convinced and would rather hang in there in the hope that past hurling will somehow come back. His treatment of players been subbed isn't acceptable any longer. They need encouragement, not admonishment, if they are to play with confidence.

Everybody knew the way Cork would play in the semi, yet we didn't seem to come with a plan to counteract Cork. We appear devoid of a game plan, a plan which might bring the best out of the players and have them play with confidence.

We all heard rumours of Gorta and McGarry leaving the set up. I wished they did as it would send out a clear message. But I believe they're staying on, which means Cody is. Our County Board will be happy if that's the case as a new manager would have to move with the times, recruit the best backroom team, which in turn would cost money. For every year that passes serious damage is being done and we'll only fall further behind.

I'd Cody was going he'd have announced it by now. What a pity, as his legacy is being clouded the longer he stays.

Is there nobody on the county board, not just officers, who would cry halt?

I had added my post while your one uploaded. I agree with you.

I had been going to county board meeting for a number of years as our club delegate and the main problem in the county board is that we have a chairman and secretary who sit at the top table and conduct the meeting but the real (Ned Quinn, Pat Henderson) people who actually run the county board sit down the back. When club delegates ask legitimate questions or criticise something that’s being done the chairman with try’s to nave away from the subject it looks down the back hoping one Quinn or Henderson will say something and appease the person asking the question!

The current officers in the county board are never going to make a move against Cody, and I think the more people rally against him the more entrenched in his position he will become. I honestly can’t see him voluntarily stepping aside anytime soon.

The county board in general needs a big freshen up! It’s the same faces in there year in year out moving jobs when there term comes to an end! There needs to be an injection of new blood, bring fresh ideas and people who are more clued into what’s happening at ground level in clubs.

If you go back far enough you'll see I was one of Cody's biggest defenders on here for a long time and believed his way could out. He has proven beyond all reasonable doubt that this is not the case. My eyes were opened in 2018 in the replay against Galway and his treatment on Colin Fennelly on the sideline that day was a disgrace. The 2019 Leinster final loss to Wexford was the nail in the coffin for me and my support for Cody. They way we were out played that day when we obviously had the better players was humiliating. I meet one of the players who played with Brian and a man who has great respect for him but his words echoed some that have been said here. He said a few months ago before the Semi Final loss to Cork " he was booed in 78 he'll be booed again before the end and it'll be very sad".

I won't boo him, as I have too much respect for him and the few times I've talked to him he is a genuinely nice man but I won't be surprised when it happens. There needs to be a revolution in Kilkenny hurling circles and I just hope it's not too acrimonious and clubs and officials don't fall out permanently over it and we can continue to pull together at county level. Unfortunately the longer the current situation continues the worse the rift will be when it inevitably comes. I'd love Cody to step away now and say I'm handing it over to the next man. Unfortunately Cody seems to have been blinkered by all the hype over the years and now seems to believe that only he can save Kilkenny hurling. What happened to his mantra of hand the jersey on to the next lad in a better place than when you got it. When things went wrong for Kilkenny early in Cody's reign he tried to learn and adapted our game to it. Now he seems incapable of that and seems to be content that we just don't have the players to challenge.

The problem is there is no one in the clubs or county board who will stand up and say stop because their rightly afraid of being blasted for saying it but it does need someone with a fair bit of clout to do it. They will get slated but then the conversation can be had more widely. The press also have a huge roll in this and their inability to question the man and his inability to adapt. It's like a dictatorship no one dares question the dear leader except in the shadows like us here but no one wants to put their name to it. Any sniff of opposition will be brutally suppressed by the have some respect for what the man has down.... but the dyke will break as it always does and the question is what will we be left with afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Contacted the county board about the issue with the supporters pass in Freshford and they said

"Due to Covid all County Board passes are suspended at the moment"

I asked what had covid to do with paying or using a pass and the reason given was

"Clubs have had no income for the past 18 months"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

..Apart from membership fees?

And had no real costs then either?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

So they screw the pensioners! Many of whom would have supported the GAA during previous hard times as volunteers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 VelaSupernova

It doesn't matter if you have Jesus Christ and the Holy Buddha in charge of Kilkenny next year, the raw material is not there.

We won't win an all-ireland for the next five years at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Doubt Jesus and Buddha have their foundation level course done. Whilst I think Cody should step away there's been a bit of a pile on the last couple of days that may be a bit much. Regardless of whether he stays or goes we need a high level coach in there and I don't think there is one good enough in Kilkenny which would mean going outside the county which would be seen as blasphemy. Plus I doubt the CB would pay for it.

It's also not exclusively about winning All Irelands. It's about performing to the maximum of your potential/ability and we're clearly not doing that.

While you could well be right, leaving Limerick aside there isn't a fag paper in standards between the next 5 contenders, and we are comfortably in that group. If our pospects are grim then so are Tipp's, Galway, Cork and Waterford, while Clare and Wexford may as well give up on any notion of ever winning an AI again.

When you have a very dominant team like Limerick right now, every county feels they are way off the mark. Just as many counties would have felt during Kilkenny and Dublin's respective peak periods that they were miles off. But I don't believe Limerick have the depth of talent either of the latter two possesed and therefore feel their time at top may be shorter than many are predicting (Peter Casey's injury alone will I believe weaken them in 2022).

I feel it's a cop out that plays into Cody's hands this "we just don't have the hurlers". Meaning Cody acolytes marvel at getting such supposedly poor raw material teams to AI semis.

I also belive the series of underage losses to Galway (especially during Covid) may well mean nothing to both counties in terms of senior hurlers. It looks to me that Galway (and Cork and Limerick) have hugely professional operatiions at minor and u20 and that advantage intensified during Covid. As classy and talented as Cork minors were, it was also obvious from their slick almost telepathic interplay that they have been relentlessly drilled and coached.

As I menioned in an earlier post, two underage teams of broadly equal talent, one puts in 200 hours of training, the other 100, the 200 hrs will tell. But will that matter much come Senior?

We definitely need change at top in my opinion but nothing to be gained by panic and doom mongering, imagining we have suddenly stopped producing good inter county players.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

Not having the players IS a cop out as posted above. The County Board don't want change as it will cost them and they're too used to doing the same thing for the last twenty years. Don't ask them to think outside the box such as fund raising to pay for a proper backroom team. Kilkenny hurling badly needs change. We are static in every way and we're not giving the players a decent environment in which to perform to their optimum. A new manager might not do any better than the present one but at least let us try by appointing a manager with vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 upnorth

With regard to operations at minor and U20 level I decided to put together the following data from 2011-2021 to show whether or not we have had the players coming through compared to other counties and the factual operations of each county in the last ten years.

I'm giving 5 points for winning an All Ireland and 3 for reaching the final

2011 Galway 5 Dublin 3 2012 Tipperary 5 Dublin 3 2013 Waterford 5 Galway 3

2014 Kilkenny 5 Limerick 3 2015 Galway 5 Tipperary 3 2016 Tipperary 5 Limerick 3

2017 Galway 5 Cork 3 2018 Galway 5 Kilkenny 3 2019 Galway 5 Kilkenny 3

2020 Galway 5 Kilkenny 3 2021 Cork 5 Galway 3

Minor Totals Galway 36 Kilkenny 14, Tipperary 13, Cork 8, Dublin 6, Limerick 6 Waterford 5

U21/U20

2011 Galway 5 Dublin 3 2012 Clare 5 Kilkenny 3 2013 Clare 5 Antrim 3

2014 Clare 5 Wexford 3 2015 Limerick 5 Wexford 3 2016 Waterford 5 Galway 3

2017 Limerick 5 Kilkenny 3 2018 Tipperary 5 Cork 3 2019 Tipperary 5 Cork 3

2020 Cork 5 Dublin 3 2021 Cork 5 Galway 3

U21/20 Totals Cork 16 Clare 15 Galway 11 Tipperary 10 Limerick 10 Kilkenny 6 Wexford 6 Dublin 6 Waterford 5 Antrim 3

Totals Galway 47 Cork 24 Tipperay 23 Kilkenny 20 Limerick 16 Clare 15 Dublin 12 Waterford 10 Wexford 6 Antrim 3

So based on reaching/winning underage All Irelands Limerick who rank 6th at minor level in the last 10 years and 4th at U21/20 have won 3 of the last 4 All Ireland Senior titles.

So their 'highly professional' underage academy has delivered no minor title since it's creation and no minor final appearance since 2016. Yet Kiely and Kinnerk have done incredible work with the players handed to them in 2017. 'We haven't the players' hasn't been a battle cry Shannonside.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I understand your point but I tend to disagree.. you could have a fantastic minor team that win all round them without having any potential senior players on it.. I'd personally rather see a team with 2 or 3 stand out players that have the potential to go on to play senior.. even looking at some of the very successful galway minor teams.. they seem to me to be full of monsters of men that are fairly agricultural hurlers that wont train on...

Plenty lads are happy to be minor county hurlers too and have no desire to progress further.. as it is a huge commitment ..more lads travel etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I suppose what I'm trying to say is if hurling attributes can be broken down to

Size/ skill/pace/strength/ work ethic..

1 or 2 of those are enough to make a successful underage hurler but to make the next jump to senior requires pretty much all of the above

That's probably over simplistic but I'm a simple kind of man😁

Advertisement