Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

Probably very close to the ton I'd guess 940 kgs in or around

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He killed 467 at 940 he would only have killed 50%. Even without being feed meal I would expect him to killout more than that. Those AA bulls would fatten on grass alone

Slava Ukrainii

If you say so I reckon he was over the 900 kg but sure we will soon know 😉

We will not because he is hanging inside in a cold room at present.

Slava Ukrainii

Indeed but we can just ask as there will be a kill docket ...

• Advertisement

The local factory always includes a live weigh on the docket maybe they all don't do that

Cattle are not live weighted into a factory. DW only at present. All you get on the kill docket is the DW. I suspect that Whelan wants an idea of the LW to compare what the animal would make in the mart. She already stated that as the bull was cross she could not shop around for prices and got a poor factory price. Friesan bullocks kill 46-49% compared to fresh weight but that would be 49-52% compared to mart weight. Them heavy AA bulls would definately grade R+ and into U straight off grass as they would fatten on grass. That would indicate 54-55% and maybe higher compared to mart weight. They weight 52% compared to fresh weight

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Whats the general price for these types of bull? I've to move on my fella soon and you don't hear too much of their price as there probably isn't much throughput. I presume it starts with a 2

If there is flesh on a bull marts seem to be very competitive at present especially if you he bull is below a three year old

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

If there's not flesh on a bull then he's not worth a whole pile in either the mart or the factory but sometimes circumstances dictate. I'd be inclined to try the mart tbh especially if you've a good sale of cull cows locally. There's lads killing cow's and bulls weekly that will manage a better price than you for a one off and maybe pay haulage to the likes of Roscrea or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any quotes for bullocks for next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Hershall

Got the same quote today. Have a load going next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Still no sign of a rise despite the ‘desperate shortage’. I rang an agent today for a price next week. Cut me short saying he’d ring me back in a couple of hours but no call back from him.

I wouldn’t be expecting a rise this time of the year as strange and all as the year is. There will be plenty of cattle coming fit in the next couple of weeks and coming to 30 months. Cattle are flying this past two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Getting €4.20 for steers this week. Available from 2 midland factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

The pressure is starting to come on, I know a man that had good r grade angus bullocks, he sent them off This week, he told me he got 4.60 flat, he had a few agents this week ringing looking for cattle

Today is the 15th, from now on U 40 month cattle will be getting scarcer every week. Lads that let cattle go over 30 months will let the weight pile onto them. Very few people let cattle hut exactly 30 months lads would be hanging the from 29 months on at the latest. We are into April cattle at the moment.

While you might not get a substantial price rise lads are making money if the price remains the same. Lads that were panicking in early/mid August are holding steady now. There is a huge difference in fitness of cattle and at present there is a huge reward.

An AA bullock that was April born grading O+3= in mid Augusts at 320kgs at a base of 4.1 would have grossed 1300 euro. At 335 kgs at O+/R- he would at a base of 4.2 make make 1480+/- 20 euro.

In early mid October if he is still under age if prices hold and he grades R=4= he will make 1575 euro..

Even if you were feeding him an average of 4kgs/ day it would cost 75 euro

Slava Ukrainii

Got rid of a few during the week. They were all within 2 weeks of 30 months and 3- to 3= in the fat. I’d have liked to hold onto them for another month because they’d have held plenty more weight but grass can disappear in a couple of days here when the weather turns so it was time to thin them out.

Still have a good few overage lads and under30 month cattle to go but I’m in no panic for another month.

I amuch the same myself dropping them off in drips and drabs. It's nearly better than trying to fight with an agent over 5c. Left off two tonight going over age next week. A Hereford and a Friesian. The Friesian is 50/50 to grade O-.one of those tall black lads. The HE is a handy bullock.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Those tall black FR peak at u21 months with meal, I find.

probably do but I only buy light bullocks, he was one of the dearer Friesians I bough last year. He cost 600 euro part of a bunch that weighted 400kgs, I think a few are hung already.

Slava Ukrainii

The Friesian graded O=3+ he slaughtered shy of 360 kgs and grossed slightly under 1500 euro. The HE was disappointing, he hung under 310kgs at O+4- and grossed 1325. The Fr was 400kgs cost 600, the HE was about 350kgs, cost 680 and came in a month after the Friesian.

Friesians are besting HE and AA by about 100 euro on the margin this year at a guess

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

We sold 9 bullocks this week in Ballinasloe

Weights from 400 to 620kg

Price per kg was varied from 2.16 to 2.53

Averaged about 2.40 per kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I would be finding it the other away around, bit disappointed with how the FR's are killing out killing O- and P+ when you add the AA / HE and QA bonus to the HE and AA cattle they are beating the FRs plus the FRs are probably killing 50% LW at best, the AA's & HE's are probably killing 52 - 53%. Now there has been no meal fed to anything so overall I am very happy with my returns this year but looking at it going forward I think the FRs are on a yellow card. Have a few CH out of FRs cows which I am really happy with, might get more of these if I can pick them up at €2.20/kg or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Do you not think you are giving away those bonuses the day you buy?

Also we don't normally have a a good back end and your margins are being masked by the good price.

There could be an argument that AA's & HE's cost more the first day to buy, but you are making it back as they are easier to feed, grade better on killing and kill out a higher percentage of their live weight. So if you look at it the better kill out % weight and the better conversion of feed to beef covers the additional cost that you pay day 1, then the better grade and bonus is the additional profit. I notice during the winter I would have 14 (400 - 500 kg) cattle in a pen. A pen of FR's will eat two 5ft grabs of silage a day where as 3 grabs will do 2 pens of AA's & HE or my own bred Lm's.

If you are give €2 - €2.20 per kg for your AAx & Hex at circa 400 Kgs day 1 then you could need to be buying the FR's at sub €1.50 /kg. This is a bit insulting to the lad that reared them to this stage and he most defiantly will not be making any money.

Friesians usually gain weight faster than most AA's and HE's. In a grass based system this is key as you are gaining cheap weight.. This makes up for the poorer K/O. The Friesians I bought last year were 20-30 kgs heavier on average than the HE and AA and cane in 70-80 euro/ head less.

I feed all the cattle ration. Most AA/ HE will only get 6-7 weeks, Friesians are hitting 10 week, they probably have bigger mouths at the troughs too. Friesians will eat 50-55 euro worth of ration, coloured cattle 35-40 euro worth. Barley/maize/hulls was costing me 260/ton it is gone to 280/ton for the load I got last week. However this Autumn with the price holding and the Friesians are outperforming AA/HE that I have

That tall black Friesian if you allow he did 60kgs in 120days in the shed did up on 1.1kgs/day on grass while he was on the farm. The same figures for the HE are about 800grams/ day gain at grass.

Slava Ukrainii

Anto just one thing on your pricing of AA/HE and FR stores. For the the man producing them from calves generally FR will out weight AA/HE by 50+kgs and the HE wi out weight AA by 20-30kgs. For a lad producing like for like in his system and he FR will be 480 kgs, the HE will be 430 and the AA 410kgs at sale

The Friesian will gross 720@,1.5/ kg and give him a calf price of 70 on average he will leave 650

The HE will gross 946 at 2.2/ kg give a calf price of 270 leaves a margin of 676.

The AA will gross 902 at 2.2/ kg and giving a calf price of 200 he leave a margin of 700.

There is not much difference there. However FR that are over 450 kgs attract a premium I'm the mart compared to those under 450 so I expect they be hitting 1.6-1.7/ kg so lad producing them at that weight is making more off them than off similarly reared AA/ HE.

At present store and ration costs anybody planning on wintering cattle will need a a base of 4.6-4.7/ kg to make money

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

In fairness I like the good Herefords if I can get them, especially the red ones and you are correct there is a very wide variation within the Fr breeding, but the main things I have noticed about FR's on my farm over the last few years is they are hungry and eat more than others. Yes this does convert to good weights of 700 kgs plus but they continue to disappoint when they are hung up with a poor % kill out and a grade or so less than you would think. With the AA's and HE's they regularly hit a grade above what you would think. The gird really punishes poor grading cattle. Friend worked on a killing line for years and has a very sharp eye for grades, he would tell you once the FR is hanging the hinds tend to look very narrow. Where as I think there are days when some factories refuse to put anything but a P grade on on a FR.

Advertisement