Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Ah cool. If you could draw up a list of people who deserve healthcare, and in what priority, that would help a lot?

Additionally, once again, this thread is about guidance to provide a little bit of support to trans kids. Medical intervention (which is extremely unlikely for prepubescent children, never mind 4 year olds) is not on the cards.

As someone else said above, classic sensationalism indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This almost got lost among @[Deleted User] and @AllForIt reminiscing like a pair of auld biddies about the civil rights movement and culture in the 70’s and 80’s and how everything seemed much simpler then… it did if you were wearing rose tinted glasses (which I’m sure were quite fetching, Elton John was rockin’ ‘em for the best part of a decade and all!), but it’s not the least bit strange that their versions of history would ignore the origins of the Stonewall marches and Pride.

They facts are a bit fuzzy depending upon who’s telling the story, but all the essential elements, including the T, were there from the beginning, and what is being witnessed now is just history repeating itself -

@[Deleted User] I think @Annasopra had a fair point about the way your post read as a sort of a “people who are transgender should just be quiet”, it was that very same sort of attitude which led to one of the organisers of the organisers of the march referred to as an “oppressive culture of hetero-sexism”, which in their opinion needed to be overthrown by people who didn’t conform to it, basically anyone who didn’t conform to expectations of gender and sex or sexual identity and sexual orientation. There was no shortage of in-fighting among the various groups either.

The way you put it though klaz as though people who are transgender should ASK for something as simple as entry to the bathroom they’re most comfortable in, same as anyone else is already entitled to without asking, and making the point that being transgender isn’t similar to being homosexual and they aren’t comparable, but smokers ARE comparable as second class citizens? As odd comparisons go like, although it is similar to the way in which homophiles (as they were known at the time), were just expected to quit being homophiles in the same way as smokers are generally just expected to quit smoking (personally I have no desire to quit smoking, I enjoy it far too much, but would never encourage children to take up the filthy habit 😏).

But surely you can’t have been so oblivious that you really think there were no straight men in gay clubs during the 70’s - present? Not even during the era of the New Romantics, New Wave, Electro and Synth pop that was huge in the UK with bands like the Pet Shop Boys, Erasure and the Scottish band Bronski Beat? Frankie really must have went to Hollywood that yourself and AllforIt missed out on a whole generation of music and culture, Culture Club was another one… maybe we liked the music 😏

But the idea that people who are transgender haven’t been taking baby steps, or haven’t always just been treated as an afterthought in the movement and now the idea that they’re gaining equal rights looks like they want everything immediately? Lads they’ve been having to fight for legal recognition since before any of us were born. In 1997 Lydia Foy started their battle for legal recognition, AFTER they had completed sex reassignment surgery as it was known then at the time -

The GRA was only introduced into Irish Law in 2015, nearly 20 years after Lydia Foy began fighting, and 11 years after it had already been. law in the UK following a case that went as far as the ECHR in 2002 in the UK. How “slow” do you imagine IS acceptable, before they can ask to use the bathroom? They wouldn’t want to be waiting in a queue while human rights are being recognised, would they?

For all the harping on that anyone is teaching facts are less important than feelings and all the rest of it about “biological reality” and yada, yada, the reality is that approach has NEVER been taken by any group, in any circumstances, so to suggest that it should now apply to people who are transgender is something of a glaring double standard. Education has always been provided by people who were promoting their own personal beliefs, and in this particular case, which I don’t immediately associate with people who are transgender as though they’re responsible for it, the circumstances aren’t any different, so different standards shouldn’t apply if we’re all equal, right? Unless we’re not… for reasons which I’m yet to be made aware of that don’t amount to just plain old prejudice.

It does y’know, in the section on “Supporting young transgender people at school: steps for good practice”. They refer specifically to Scotland’s Curriculum for Excellence. Part of that curriculum is learning while including LGBT in education -

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, people who are actually medically ill, sufferers of medical conditions actually deserve healthcare, who deserve to get better.. a list of priorities ? That will already exist.

So either these children are mentally ill (according to some here), but don't require/deserve treatment? Or we want to pretend being trans doesn't exist (and therefore we won't treat the actual mental illness that might be caused by this denial of fact?), Or we assume it's all just a choice and give no support at all (wonder how that would work with all the other lifestyle choices people make that cause them to require medical assistance 🤔).

It's kinda amusing to see how some groups of people try and tie themselves in knots.

Of course, this is all a completely over the top hypothetical situation as the topic is nothing to do with gender related medical intervention for 4 year olds. It's just more baseless fear mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see there has been calls to investigate the figures around these so called trans charity especially over inflating the number of trans people committing suicide ,

But get the feeling this is nothing new Massively over representation and over inflating the number of trans individual these charities claim to represent

• Advertisement

Now we wouldn't want to base anything on "feelings" now, would we 🤣

I think it's the absolute hypocrisy that I find the most amusing in these threads.

This almost got lost among @[Deleted User] and @AllForIt reminiscing like a pair of auld biddies about the civil rights movement and culture in the 70’s and 80’s and how everything seemed much simpler then… it did if you were wearing rose tinted glasses

OEJ... (In the absence of quotes, I assume you're referring to the last few quotes on this page)

Now, this is pure fabrication since there is nothing about civil rights or how everything was much simpler back then. We spoke about the presence of Transpeople (per the modern definition) in the gay scene, and who that T represented. Nor was there anything even related to rose tinted glasses, nor was there any yearning for the "good ole days".

If you want post some stuff... go right ahead. I really enjoy most of your posts, but don't use me as a springboard by inferring **** that isn't true.

@[Deleted User] I think @Annasopra had a fair point about the way your post read as a sort of a “people who are transgender should just be quiet”,

/Sigh. Except, I didn't say that Transgender people should be quiet about bathrooms and such.

@Anne_Widdecombe For example, trans men and trans women have been using toilets for donkey's years - often with nobody even noticing

@[Deleted User] Because they hid what they were. The difference now is that Trans people want to be recognised and accepted as Trans.. they're not looking to hide it anymore. If they were fine with hiding it, and keeping a low profile, there wouldn't be the resistance that exists

Notice the difference? As I said to Annasopra, context is important. they did hide themselves in the past, and manage to use the same facilities as other people. Also the numbers of Transpeople were far less in the past compared to the present day (obviously enough).

Now... where do I say that Transpeople should just be quiet? And no... don't be relying on Annaspora's unpacking of my language, and the "subtle" meanings.

The way you put it though klaz as though people who are transgender should ASK for something as simple as entry to the bathroom they’re most comfortable in, same as anyone else is already entitled to without asking, and making the point that being transgender isn’t similar to being homosexual and they aren’t comparable, but smokers ARE comparable as second class citizens?

I see. So... I have warm fuzzy memories of going to the ladies bathroom with my mother, I feel comfortable there, but I'm not Transgender... by your logic, I should have access to the female bathroom. As a a male.

In the vast majority of cases, there is no physical transitioning for transgender people. They're simply people who feel/believe that they're the wrong body, and should be able to live as the other gender.

As odd comparisons go like, although it is similar to the way in which homophiles (as they were known at the time), were just expected to quit being homophiles in the same way as smokers are generally just expected to quit smoking (personally I have no desire to quit smoking, I enjoy it far too much, but would never encourage children to take up the filthy habit 😏).

I don't want to stop smoking, but after three decades of smoking, I'm aware of a few home truths... and that the main one is while society did encourage smoking when I was young, it is still a choice to smoke. I've stopped for periods of 3-4 years at a time, and returned to smoking, but I know I could stop again if I truly wanted to.

For the vast majority of Transpeople, I believe it's the same for them. That they could/will choose (at periods in their lives) to be gender fluid and at other times, stick with the gender they were born with.

Unless we’re not… for reasons which I’m yet to be made aware of that don’t amount to just plain old prejudice.

Oh, I do have my prejudice towards the Trans movement. I'd say that's pretty obvious, and I've stated multiple times the whys.

The GRA was only introduced into Irish Law in 2015, nearly 20 years after Lydia Foy began fighting, and 11 years after it had already been. law in the UK following a case that went as far as the ECHR in 2002 in the UK. How “slow” do you imagine IS acceptable, before they can ask to use the bathroom? They wouldn’t want to be waiting in a queue while human rights are being recognised, would they?

Except they were always able to go to the bathroom. They just couldn't go to the bathroom of their opposite gender. If a transgendered person was born a man, they could go to a male bathroom. If a transgendered person was born a woman, they could go to the female bathroom. They've always been able to do that. The problem is when they want to go to another genders bathroom.

As for rights, the expectation is that they receive the benefits and protections of their desired gender... and IMHO, for someone who has fully transitioned, like for Lydia Foy, then I believe that they should receive those same rights, because they've committed themselves to being that gender. I do think some consideration needs to be made for sports and such, due to the aspects of male bodies which are not altered, but in terms of common rights for normal people, yes... a fully transitioned Trans person, should receive the same rights as others of their desired gender.

BUT. I don't believe the same for someone who hasn't physically transitioned and simply "feels" to be the other gender. They should be treated the same as their born sex and subsequently the gender their natural body corresponds with... along with all the benefits and restrictions we all face. I don't believe that male cross-dressers/Transvestites should be treated the same as women, simply because they want to be. I don't believe that's any kind of human right, nor should it be.

So... yeah... the rights movement has been slow, but I would say that's because the range of beliefs sheltered under "Trans" is wide, and the implications of giving those rights across the board are very serious to society.

And in terms of education, do we really want to normalise all of the Trans movement to children? I don't... and the reason I don't is because I've known/met many people who were part of the LGBTQ scene, who weren't mentally/emotionally stable, and they all fell into the Trans category. There are so many negatives involved, and people are rushing to embrace the Trans idea without consideration about these negatives. Pronouns and gender change are the gateway to all of that... Yes, encourage people to respect desired pronouns... but don't encourage children the choose/use selective pronouns.

I've made my point about Scotland and exposing non-trans children to the trans movement, but it seems to be ignored. No point repeating it for the umpteenth time.

You present some hypothesis based on you getting "the feeling" entirely without irony, say what indeed!

• Advertisement

"present some hypothesis"

As per usual off to ignore 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

What are you talking about? What charities? Calls by who? What has it got to do with the Scottish guidance?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Quite a lot, if an "affirmation" framework is ultimately found to be ineffective.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Explain that one to me. Gatling is claiming that there are "calls" for charities to be investigated over false numbers reporting trans suicides.

While we wait for him to link to his source which I'm sure will not be Twitter, please explain to me how a charity supposedly (but probably not in reality) reporting incorrect numbers for trans suicides has anything to do with the Scottish guidance?

Ahh it’s hardly fabrication klaz to say the impression I got from your posts too, the conversation between yourself and AllforIt, and I’m absolutely taking them in the context in which they were intended with no malice of any sort - it really was reminiscent of two ould biddys harking back to the old days when there weren’t so many “quares” about. There were, it’s just as you suggested - they were for the most part invisible, they hid it, they didn’t want people knowing because they knew people would immediately associate them with a caricature of a child stealing deviant who would turn children homosexual, and men were afeared a quare might want to have sex with them, so had to beat the living daylights out of them first, just in case there might be any other quares get ideas! Same sort of sentiment eminating from the posts about people on the basis of their being transgender - they’re mentally ill and they’re a threat to society which was better when there weren’t so many of them and they weren’t so visible. We’re just thinking of the women and children who need our protection.

As it turns out… ahh feck it you know the probability statistics, and they don’t favour people who are transgender being the most likely danger to women and children. Even the numbers of rapists and deviants and perverts who are pillars of their communities and all the rest of it, the people who are more likely to engage in all sorts of deviant behaviour behind closed doors, they’re an absolute minority of minority of people of either sex. Because they’re a dominant majority in public, people don’t pay THEM any extra undue attention. Yet you’re trying to suggest anyone has anything to fear from people who are, and always will be a tiny minority in any given society. It just doesn’t make any sense klaz tbh.

klaz you said it yourself that they always went to the toilet they were comfortable with, and that’s no different than anyone else, and that’s why I questioned your suggestion that they should have to ASK to use the bathroom. I was referring to the fact that they use the bathrooms they want to already, and generally nobody bats an eyelid. The only thing that’s actually different nowadays is that people are armed with mobile devices which they can use to film themselves and others in the bathroom (I’ll let you take a wild guess at who’s doing the most filming, and what they’re uploading, for the benefit of an audience who are into that sort of thing). It’s THEIR behaviour should be addressed, NOT the person who just wants to use the facilities to do their business or to change their clothes or try on clothes in dressing rooms, whatever.

Nobody had any right to police other people’s privacy in bathrooms and public spaces before now, and I don’t see people being granted that right any time soon, because invariably it would lead to more women being harassed in changing rooms and so on than it would expose deviant perverts.

It’s true that they are recognised in law as acquiring the rights of their preferred gender, but that’s not the same as suggesting that they have carte blanche in all circumstances. The rights they acquire generally prevent them from being discriminated against unlawfully on the basis of their gender identity or sex. And that’s about it really. It doesn’t mean they have automatic access to women’s sports or spaces, etc. No woman has those automatic rights either simply on the basis of their sex. If a person regards themselves as having been treated unfairly or unlawfully discriminated against, they would still lose their case if the person or people providing the service could demonstrate a legitimate aim and that ten purpose of discrimination was determined to be reasonable and proportionate means of achieving that legitimate aim. It’s because discrimination has had a serious impact upon society already that any existing discrimination has to be justifiable.

You made the point yourself that the “trans umbrella” encompasses a wide range of ideas, which is a fair point. That’s why when you ask do “we” want to start normalising all the trans movement to children, I’m taking a wild guess that you’re referring to yourself, me, other people and parents (regardless of how they came to be parents, legal guardians, etc, unmarried mothers, unmarried fathers, etc), and I can’t answer definitively because I know everyone has their own ideas about what they do or don’t associate with the “trans movement”. I don’t think it’s beyond the bounds of possibility that there ARE people with children who want their children to be exposed to the whole kit and kaboodle, “Theybies” are some craic -

Like, of all the things that I’d be concerned about for my own child, gender identity or stereotypes or whatever else just doesn’t come into it - as far as I’m concerned he’s a boy and I raise him with the intent that he too becomes a man who also isn’t interested in making anyone else’s life more difficult, but doesn’t allow himself to be a doormat either just to keep other people happy. Personally I can’t stand all that “be kind” nonsense, I’d rather there were no social currency in people portraying themselves as victims in an attempt to manipulate their way through life by attempting to guilt trip others into submission. It’s insidious behaviour IMO.

Ha, it's some laugh isn't! Making up some wee stories based on "feelings" then when asked a basic question people decide"oh no, I'm taking my ball back"

🤣🤣

Never change boardsies, never change ❤️!

The fabrication was where you went with it... since I spoke of the lack of Transgender people as part of the LGB crowd, and that the T in LGBT wasn't what is referred to today. That's it.. although you felt that constituted a lot more.

There were, it’s just as you suggested - they were for the most part invisible, they hid it, they didn’t want people knowing because they knew people would immediately associate them with a caricature of a child stealing deviant who would turn children homosexual, and men were afeared a quare might want to have sex with them, so had to beat the living daylights out of them first, just in case there might be any other quares get ideas! Same sort of sentiment eminating from the posts about people on the basis of their being transgender - they’re mentally ill and they’re a threat to society which was better when there weren’t so many of them and they weren’t so visible. We’re just thinking of the women and children who need our protection.

OEJ, where in any of my posts to date have I said such? In the past on the Gay scene of bars/clubs, the transgendered people came along as "Queens" and/or Transvestites. Or fully/partially transitioned, but they were rare. And yes, they would have received a lot of negative attitudes, but then again, many of them deserved the reputations they had. Have you known any Queens? A posse of old queens drunk and bitter, and more than capable of lashing out with brutal violence? Depending on which venues you went to, you could encounter quite a bit of nastiness as part of the scene.. alternatively you could have a blast of a night with some wonderfully upbeat Queens. But yes, I could see where some of the more negative/nasty beliefs came from about Trans people. A lot of it would be ignorant and just nasty.. but some of it would be based on actual experiences.

The thing is, OEJ, Trans is a catch-all term, and tends to include a wide range of beliefs and attitudes. This is something that tends to get dismissed or ignored in these threads. Paint one group a certain way, and then, you're accusing the whole overall movement. And yes, children do need protection.. just as I'd want them protected from any adult group with dubious beliefs.

[Edit: Ahh I see you posted about this. Thanks]

As it turns out… ahh feck it you know the probability statistics, and they don’t favour people who are transgender being the most likely danger to women and children. Even the numbers of rapists and deviants and perverts who are pillars of their communities and all the rest of it, the people who are more likely to engage in all sorts of deviant behaviour behind closed doors, they’re an absolute minority of minority of people of either sex. Because they’re a dominant majority in public, people don’t pay THEM any extra undue attention. Yet you’re trying to suggest anyone has anything to fear from people who are, and always will be a tiny minority in any given society. It just doesn’t make any sense klaz tbh.

Hold on a second, OEJ. Where did I push the view that they needed to be feared? Where did I call them pedo's, or make claims about violence towards children or women?

I'm apparently trying to suggest something, and yet, I haven't even tried to suggest such a thing. Go on.. quote me. No reading between the lines. Show me what I've written that makes such a claim.

I have no idea where you're going about filming or whatever. The point on bathrooms comes back to they (Trans) have always had the right to go to the bathroom. That hasn't been taken away from them. They simply shouldn't be going to another genders bathroom, and doing so is not, and should not, be a human right. As I said, there's no difference between me, as a man, going into the ladies toilets, and a Trans (biologically male) going into the ladies toilets. Its not allowed and shouldn't be allowed.

If people want to share a bathroom space, fine.. set up separate places which are communal.. but don't remove the right from people who want to have their own gender segregated areas. And a Trans woman is still a man.. So, to the male area or a communal area. Simple enough.

I kinda agree with the remainder or your post, and also feel that parts don't relate to what I wrote previously, so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I read the whole of the Scottish guidance and most of the Irish one linked here by OEJ. The Irish one was much better written btw.

And because I have I can retrieve this:

Typical pronouns are 'he' or 'she'. Some transgender young people, especially those with a non- binary[42] gender identity, are unhappy about people referring to them as 'he' or 'she', and use the gender-neutral pronoun 'they'. Other, rarer, non-binary pronouns include 'zie' or 'ey' or 'per'.

So clearly I have read it and understood it, and all I did was pose a question in regards to the use of unusual pronouns the vast vast majority of people never heard of. Yes the guidance doesn't say if 'zie,' 'ey' or 'per' should be taught in a spelling test, and I'm just making the point - why not? I don't know what your problem with that point is tbh. A bit awkward for you maybe.

• Advertisement

We both know klaz I’m not going to be able to quote any part of any of your posts which state explicitly that “people have something to fear from people who are transgender, and this justifies discrimination against people who are transgender”.

That’s why I’m saying that the impression I get from your posts is that you’re attempting to justify discrimination against people who are transgender on the basis of your own prejudices. That standard is fine when it’s limited to yourself and your own experiences, good, bad and indifferent, but it’s not a reasonable basis nor would it be rational to suggest that your prejudices should inform legislation which gives legal recognition to people’s human rights.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable or unfair to you, and I’m certainly not trying to misrepresent anything. I’ve never cared much for the acronym in any case, whether it was LGB, LGBT, FABGLITTER or QTIPOC, they’re all coming from a socially leftist identity politics ideology. I was aware of the origins of Stonewall and contrary to the notion that people who are transgender had hitched their wagons to the LGB movement in recent years, the point I was making is that they were always there from the beginning, but were more of an afterthought in organisations run by and for the benefit of the majority of their leaders, who just happened by no curious coincidence whatsoever, to be gay men. What’s changed in recent years is that those gay men were unseated from their positions within these organisations and now they’re crying foul as though THEY are the victims of discrimination because the very ideals which they claimed to be campaigning for, came to pass - all the other identities gained equal status! That’s what equal status looks like - everyone having equal opportunities.

I wasn’t citing you directly when I presented a portrayal of the same sorts of claims about homosexuals as are now levelled against people who are transgender. I won’t call them beliefs because I don’t believe for a minute they actually believe it themselves, but they know how it plays with people who have no experience of people who are transgender - they’re not going to know any different, and an unknown quantity often unnerves people.

It’s easy to feed into that fear and turn it into anxiety and resentment, similar to the way in which some feminists for their own political gain try to portray men as being dangerous to women, to try and heighten anxiety in women towards men, creating a circular argument - women need feminism to protect them from men who they are convinced are a danger to their way of life. You wouldn’t stand for it, because it’s an unfair characterisation of men. In a similar fashion, yours is an unfair characterisation of people who are transgender. I’ve been around plenty of old queens and people who are transgender enough to know that the characterisation is nothing more than that - a caricature, a stereotype, a deliberately unflattering representation promoted with the purpose of denying people who are transgender equal status in society.

@OEJ I speed read you last contributions and I have to say that although I did reach a millstone birthday this week I think it's a bit premature to call me an "auld biddie". I think the point of that was to infer backward attitudes. I think my general points are as true today as they were 10/20 years ago and it's not as if I'm sitting here with a pipe and wool socks as if I've retired from the gay scene, and don't know what it's like now.

Yes, we have seen more social less hidden boarded up gay venues of old in recent years, like the Front Lounge in Dublin as LL pointed out, but it didn't last. We are left with the more mens bar Panti bar and The George which is really just a gay mans bar with the odd night devoted to lesbians.

I'm not going to go repeat my arguments and litter this post with distracting links like you do, but I have a lived and living reality of the gay social scene. It's seems to me OEJ, unless you have some personal experience that shows otherwise, you have bought into this whole faux idea of an LGBT world that doesn't exist. It only exists online which is just a phoney fantasy world created for political reasons.

I’m using filming in bathrooms as an example of the kind of behaviour that’s inappropriate that people would and should rightly face condemnation and sanctions for. I’m using filming and uploading the footage to social media as an example of an actual threat posed to anyone using public facilities. The point I’m making is that it’s their inappropriate behaviour is the actual threat, not whether or not the person who is engaging in the behaviour is either a man or a woman or a child or whatever else.

Nobody is disputing that anyone has a right to use whatever bathroom or changing facilities are available. We both understand that the dispute is about whether or not it is reasonable or unreasonable for people who are transgender to use the facilities they’re most comfortable with, in the same way as people who aren’t transgender use the facilities they’re most comfortable with in any given circumstances. You’re saying it’s not allowed for a man to enter the women’s bathroom, but that’s a social convention, it’s not an explicit prohibition, and it’s generally not policed.

Certainly where it wasn’t, I’ve tended to find myself in the wrong bathroom. I’ve never investigated quite why it happens, but if I had to hazard a guess I’d say it was because I don’t really be thinking about it when I need to go, and the first door I come to is more often the ladies bathrooms!

Couldn’t say whether it has anything to do with building regs or anything else, the idea that women need to be closer to the bathroom seems kinda silly but that’s the kinda thing occurs to me afterwards. Not once in my experience has it ever been an issue for anyone other than myself. When I used be out drinking or I’d meet friends who are transgender for coffee, I didn’t particularly care to know which bathroom they used when they went to the bathroom either.

Now, if anyone REALLY wanted to get into the nitty gritty of it, my use of the women’s bathroom in no way affects the right of any woman to use the women’s bathroom. She is not being denied that right, and if she were to make a complaint, I don’t know that it would get very far tbh. I’m not aware of any cases where in Ireland where those specific circumstances have ever been tested, but I’d suggest that like any case - it would come down to a balancing act of the applicable rights in each individual case.

That’s why guidelines, such as the Scottish guidelines for schools that are being discussed here, lean heavily into the Equality Act 2010 and international human rights law to suggest that it’s in schools best interests that they accommodate children who are transgender, suggesting that in those circumstances, children who are transgender have the same reasonable expectation of privacy and protection of their rights and protection from unlawful discrimination as other children, precisely because they are regarded in law as being of equal status.

@OEJ

I’ve never cared much for the acronym in any case, whether it was LGB, LGBT, FABGLITTER or QTIPOC, they’re all coming from a socially leftist identity politics ideology.

But that's exactly what I'm saying to you. That's exactly why I'm saying the idea of an LGBT+ society is phoney. To repeat what I said in my last post, it doesn't exist in reality, it's just phoney. It's political, for the Left to win votes from minorities.

You made reference to Stonewall UK as though Stonewall UK is representative of the Stonewall movement, which it’s not in any case but the point of the organisation and it’s origins have always been political. Do I believe Stonewall represent the wider community? Of course not, they only ever represented the interests of people who agreed with their politics. I expect that’s standard of any organisation or lobby groups - who they CLAIM to represent is not necessarily who they ACTUALLY represent.

Then ye went on to discuss the scene in London “back in the day”, and it really has changed greatly from what it was - it’s become respectable and less hedonistic, less about being a space for people who didn’t conform to the norms of civilised society, and more about presenting an image which is appealing to a broader market. That’s why gay bars (which never just existed in Dublin either) have gone pretty much dead - because they’re trying to appeal to a broader demographic than catering for the demographic for which they were originally established.

I couldn’t be arsed sitting through an hour long show of Panto Bliss and Co’s worst efforts at humour when I find a Kylie impersonator far more enjoyable way to spend a night out (could do without my body being treated like it’s public property by the couple of drunk lads behind me, but that was quickly dealt to with by warning them I’d knock their teeth back in their head if they didn’t stop).

Or there were the clubs where I had to laugh on here one day at the lad who wondered why he was always getting chatted up in gay bars. Because he was a fella, in a gay bar. It seemed obvious, but at the same time seemed to go over his head that they were no different in that respect at least than any other nightclub!

I don’t expect children will be taught that in class though, and I don’t expect they’ll remember the lessons from their consent classes when they’re out partying and enjoying themselves in later life. It seems to be all about teaching them social responsibility and all that good stuff that’ll be long forgotten when they graduate and experience life outside of the safe space of the school environment.

@OEJ

Then ye went on to discuss the scene in London “back in the day”, and it really has changed greatly from what it was - it’s become respectable and less hedonistic, less about being a space for people who didn’t conform to the norms of civilised society, and more about presenting an image which is appealing to a broader market. That’s why gay bars (which never just existed in Dublin either) have gone pretty much dead - because they’re trying to appeal to a broader demographic than catering for the demographic for which they were originally established.

Jack, this is completely false. The London gay scene is not becoming less hedonistic, it's becoming MORE hedonistic. Anecdotally I was taking to an Irish chap I new from the London scene when I bumped into in Dublin before Covid, and asked him why he moved back to Ireland and his answer was that it has become too 'druggy'. I don't even know how it can become 'more' druggy to begin with.

So I'm saying that this idea that gay pubs and clubs are turning into Lefty like bars that the likes of metropolitan journalist's frequent in Islington, - is completely false and utterly laughable. What would you know of these things unless there's something you aren't telling us. You seem to be expressing views of a culture you have formed not through real life experience but from the internet.

The vast vast majority of gay bars in London are gay mens pick up joints, and not social bars. They always have been and always will be. They are not places to socialize as such, they are full of gay scene types who frequent the gym to show themselves off in the clubs in the hope of getting the ride, and those that take drugs on a weekly basis. The idea as you've suggested that this is something of the past is beyond ridiculous.

If a gay person wishes to socialize all they have to do is go to a straight bar. It's beyond weird to think that gay people only want to socialize with gay people. That would be extremely racist in a way. So there is no need for lgbt+ society bars in the first place. And they don't exist anyway. Lefty wine bars in Islington are a thing of course, but those kinds of places are niche.

We both know klaz I’m not going to be able to quote any part of any of your posts which state explicitly that “people have something to fear from people who are transgender, and this justifies discrimination against people who are transgender”.

Exactly, you're not... nor are you going to get something close to it... without making some kind of dramatic leap to draw some distant connection.

Other posters have spoken of their fears directly related to Transgender people... in relation to women and children. I haven't.. because I don't consider the vast majority to be any kind of threat to them. So, don't put words in my mouth and then run with a huge exposition based on.. well... nothing. You've done it twice now. As I said before, if you want to write a long post expressing your opinions about the topic, fine.. I like to read them, but don't base off something I've supposedly said, but haven't actually said. That's fair, no?

That’s why I’m saying that the impression I get from your posts is that you’re attempting to justify discrimination against people who are transgender on the basis of your own prejudices. That standard is fine when it’s limited to yourself and your own experiences, good, bad and indifferent, but it’s not a reasonable basis nor would it be rational to suggest that your prejudices should inform legislation which gives legal recognition to people’s human rights.

I am justifying discrimination against Transgender people on the basis that certain areas are segregated by gender, and Transgender people, apart from those who have fully transitioned, shouldn't gain access to them. Gender fluid Trans people should not be given the freedom to go between bathrooms whenever they like, because they've decided that today they're going to be female, and tomorrow, decide that they're male. If that's discrimination, then, I'm fine with it.

And for all your talk about human rights, going to the a different genders bathroom is not a human right. Nor should it be. Women should have the right that the only people going into their bathroom or changing room, if it is intended to be exclusive to females, would be female. A trans woman is not female. They're male. As I said before, there's no difference between most Trans women going into a female only bathroom, and me, a man, going into a female only bathroom. So... do you believe that I should be able to go into female only bathrooms? Is it discrimination that men shouldn't be going into female only bathrooms?

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable or unfair to you, and I’m certainly not trying to misrepresent anything. I’ve never cared much for the acronym in any case, whether it was LGB, LGBT, FABGLITTER or QTIPOC, they’re all coming from a socially leftist identity politics ideology. I was aware of the origins of Stonewall and contrary to the notion that people who are transgender had hitched their wagons to the LGB movement in recent years, the point I was making is that they were always there from the beginning, but were more of an afterthought in organisations run by and for the benefit of the majority of their leaders, who just happened by no curious coincidence whatsoever, to be gay men.

Which is fine, although, bear in mind that both I and AllForIt were simply pointing out our own experience as gay/bisexual men, that there was extremely little Trans presence in the Gay community until the last decade or so.. I've encountered far more Transgendered people in Asia, and the M.East, than in Europe.

I wasn’t citing you directly when I presented a portrayal of the same sorts of claims about homosexuals as are now levelled against people who are transgender.

Ahh ok.. although it felt like it was directed at me.

It’s easy to feed into that fear and turn it into anxiety and resentment, similar to the way in which some feminists for their own political gain try to portray men as being dangerous to women, to try and heighten anxiety in women towards men, creating a circular argument - women need feminism to protect them from men who they are convinced are a danger to their way of life. You wouldn’t stand for it, because it’s an unfair characterisation of men. In a similar fashion, yours is an unfair characterisation of people who are transgender. I’ve been around plenty of old queens and people who are transgender enough to know that the characterisation is nothing more than that - a caricature, a stereotype, a deliberately unflattering representation promoted with the purpose of denying people who are transgender equal status in society.

The flip side though is this extremely positive portrayal of Transgendered people as if they're all wonderful people with no baggage. I used the example of the Queens, because when I was going out on the gay scene, that was the reputation of "older" Queens... it was a stereotype, but a fairly accurate one since the normal or nice Queens tended to avoid the gay nightlife, thus leaving the angry/bitter ones behind. And no... that stereotype and reputation was not promoted to stop Transgendered people from gaining equal status... It was something within the LGB community. Nothing to do with Transpeople at all.

The thing about my objections is that they're not aimed at individuals. They're aimed at the overall trans movement, and the ideology that accompanies it. I'm fine with extending equal rights to Transpeople, but there have to be boundaries involved... the same way that there are restrictions on both men and women.

That’s the key word in your post right there - ‘anecdotally’. It stands to reason that anyone would base more weight on their own anecdotes which are formed of their own experiences, and I’m not denying the point that there are gay bars which are frequented by gay men, but then you suggest that it’s beyond weird that gay people only want to socialise with gay people, when I never suggested that in any case. I was countering the point being made by klaz that there were no straight men in gay bars.

In his experience perhaps not, but it’s easily countered by the reality that gay bars are pretty much dying out because they’re not what they once were. More drugs your friend suggests? That’s hardly a phenomenon unique to gay bars, and certainly nothing like the actual hedonism that went on in gay bars in the past.

The reason you’re suggesting that initiatives like this in schools is to appeal to minorities simply doesn’t hold up, because minorities don’t tend to support leftist politics. It’s appealing to the well-educated, champagne socialist types who frequent more upper-class establishments than the rough and ready demographic, better quality drugs too 😂

But seriously though, initiatives like this are basically appealing to people who consider themselves ‘allies’, same place the idea of the pink pound came from, ignoring the reality of people regardless of their gender identity, sexuality or anything else who live in poverty. Initiatives like this also exist in Irish schools, but with 90% of Irish schools under Catholic patronage, they don’t get much traction, whereas schools under ET patronage which only make up a tiny percentage of schools (I think the figures are 3,000 vs 100) are the types of schools which promote this stuff. In terms of the real effects on Irish society, their influence is negligible, as opposed to the way these ideas are being portrayed as any great threat to society.

I don’t think anyone needs to panic about a takeover by socialist leftist ideology any time soon.

You asked if I was a teacher would I TEACH about pronouns. That's my issue with your post. The guidance only discussed teachers USING requested pronouns. It makes no provision for teaching pronouns.

Of course you'll try and do some goalpost shifting but my answer stands.

• Advertisement

I’m using filming in bathrooms as an example of the kind of behaviour that’s inappropriate that people would and should rightly face condemnation and sanctions for.

Seems irrelevant to me, since the discussion was about Transpeople gaining access to bathrooms. In any case, I've stated my opinion, and from your responses, you don't agree with me. Let's leave it at that, because this is a very circular argument.

Nobody is disputing that anyone has a right to use whatever bathroom or changing facilities are available. We both understand that the dispute is about whether or not it is reasonable or unreasonable for people who are transgender to use the facilities they’re most comfortable with, in the same way as people who aren’t transgender use the facilities they’re most comfortable with in any given circumstances. You’re saying it’s not allowed for a man to enter the women’s bathroom, but that’s a social convention, it’s not an explicit prohibition, and it’s generally not policed.

It's not policed, because very few men would enter a woman's bathroom intentionally.. and would leave if told to do so. As for social convention, yes, it is... and as with many cultures/nations, social conventions are often just as binding as the law. So, maybe we should have a few laws that officially say that female only bathrooms are only for people who are biologically female.

As for this comfortable gig... no.. you worded that earlier, I disagreed, and so on. I'm sticking to my previous points.

That’s why guidelines, such as the Scottish guidelines for schools that are being discussed here, lean heavily into the Equality Act 2010 and international human rights law to suggest that it’s in schools best interests that they accommodate children who are transgender, suggesting that in those circumstances, children who are transgender have the same reasonable expectation of privacy and protection of their rights and protection from unlawful discrimination as other children, precisely because they are regarded in law as being of equal status.

Which, in itself is fine. I have no issue with such protections. I do have issue with the promotion of Trans beliefs (gender fluid etc), to children who would not naturally have expressed an interest in it:

In order to cater to/support the needs of children who naturally seek gender change (that tiny group), the remainder of the group will need to be informed about gender change (so that those who are hiding their desire, know that they can come out without fear), and to do that in a manner for children to understand, the language will need to be coached in a manner that makes gender change and the overall trans ideology as being acceptable, and without risk. That means promoting gender change to children who would never have thought of it themselves (the majority). It also means removing the complexities involved in the trans topic, and ensuring that it is promoted in the best possible way...

And that's my problem with this initiative in schools for young children. To explain it properly means promoting it as something without any negatives... teens/Adults can learn about something, understanding that there will be positives and negatives, and make an informed decision about it. Children have limited understanding of such things, and should they be told that Trans/Gender is something they can change, well... many will be influenced to change.. it'll be fun!

Advertisement