Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

And the authoritarianism continues. This will definitely stop the virus and isn't just a pointless exercise in control, right? Hopefully none of those people are alcohol dependent or they might be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Saw that earlier , mad stuff, some posters on here will be rejoicing after hearing this, and saying this is perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

We will if they insist on using a photo of VB, that stuff should just be banned outright.

Post edited by Noo on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Obviously, there's going to be more people in Scotland (and in the UK in general) with infection-acquired immunity than in Australia, but even in the UK infection-acquired immunity will be a relatively small contribution to overall immunity. I don't have figures for Scotland, but in the UK as a whole 7 million people have been infected with Covid (at a total cost of 133,000 deaths) while 48 million have been vaccinated (at a total cost of 4 deaths). And there's probably a considerable overlap there; a lot of people who've had Covid will subsequently have been vaccinated. So the number of people protected only by infection-acquired immunity is not large; certainly not large enough to create any kind of herd immunity.

Total Australian Covid infections to date are 66,300, which is negligible. So there is virtually no infection-acquired immunity in the community; for herd immunity we are totally reliant on vaccination. But that just underlines the point of how incredibly mind-numbingly bone-headedly stupid someone would have to be to advocate dismantling Covid infection precautions before a high level of vaccination is achieved. And the relative morbidity of Covid infection and of the vaccine indicate how utterly depraved someone would have to be advocate building herd immunity by allowing infection in priority to building it by vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I agree with you on this, but the real issue is whether its even possible for Australia to vaccinate a large enough amount of people in order to open up without a large covid wave. I'm not sure it is. We're currently in a wave despite a huge vaccine take up, and some small amounts of acquired immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

I wonder ,if they are gonna kill all the animals in this 'free' Australia? Just to prevent them from spreading Covid.

Vaccination should do two things — (1) reduce the size of the wave of infections that occurs when restrictions are lifted, and (2) reduce the severity of that wave of infections, so that a smaller proportion of the infected are hospitalised, receive intensive care, or die.

Obviously, the greater proportion of the population that you vaccinate, the more success you will have in achieving these two objectives.

Also obvious is that it will be some more months before Australia will have levels of vaccination that might allow for a general lifting of restrictions.

By then, we will have somewhat better information than we have now about what happens when restrictions are lifted in a largely vaccinated population. Bear in mind that it's not yet two months since the UK embarked on this experiment, so while we know something of how it plays out, there is still much to learn. By November/December the UK will be four or five months into the experiment, plus other countries will have embarked on their own experiment, so hopefully a good deal more will have been learned. Which means that Australia may be slightly better positioned to plan and implement its unlocking were than the countries that did it first.

Can Australia vaccinate enough people to make it possible to open up without a large wave? In one sense, no; relative to the experience we've had to date, any Covid wave will be, in Australian terms, a "large wave". The real question, I think, is whether it will be large enough to cause significant numbers of deaths, overburden the public health system or trigger an economic recession. If widespread vaccination is sufficiently effective at achieving the second objective - reducing severity of the disease - then Australia can have quite a big wave, and still keep those impacts low.

None of this means that existing restrictions continue unchanged until November/December or even longer. The Australian strategy is that restrictions should very responsive to the facts on the ground. If they are responsive enough they can be effective to change the facts on the ground, and then they can be altered.

Most attention is focussed on the areas of Australia that are most heavily restricted - particularly NSW and Victoria. Obviously, those two states haven't yet got the situation under control - NSW had 1,384 new cases yesterday, and VIC had 323. But other states have been more successful - the delta variant has been introduced into Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia, but all three successfully squashed it with rapid, tough lockdowns and are now effectively Delta-free and, so, lockdown-free. It's not impossible that lockdowns in Victoria and NSW, coupled with the advance in vaccinations, will enable one or both of those states to bring their outbreaks under control to a point where at least some lockdown restrictions can be relaxed even before the 70%/80% vaccination targets are reached. (Equally, it's not impossible that matters will get worse in one or more of the other states, requiring lockdowns there, though hopefully they will again be short and sharp.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Another insightful, rational and well thought out post. Bravo

Its frustrating to see the effort Peregrinus' puts into his well thought out posts, and thats the crap thats posted in response. Fingers in ears lalalalala.

Or just completely ignore it because it's indefensible and inconvenient to the 'it's all grand' narrative

• Advertisement

According to the article it is not clear who is confiscating alcohol, clearly states its not police. Its says health service is restricting alcohol (and also says alcohol limits can be increased if required by an individual), yet it doesnt say who is actually stopping the alcohol, if anyone actually is. All very vague.

As far as I can make out from the reports, the restrictions are imposed by NSW Health - the state government health service in NSW; roughly equivalent to the HSE.

They are not general restrictions; they only apply in apartment buildings that are under NSW Health control. There are, as I understand it, apartment blocks in which cross infection has occurred, and all residents are required to self-isolate. NSW health applies the isolation requirement and, with the support of the police, organises delivery of food and medicine, provides testing and medical treatment, etc, to the self-isolating residents. Their food delivery protocols include limits on the amount of alcohol that will be delivered "to ensure the safety of health staff and residents" - I think they are concerned about the possible consequences of binge-drinking by locked-in residents. The alcohol limits are the same ones that have applied all along "Special Health Accommodation" - residential accommodation leased by NSW Health to provide quarantine facilities for returning international and (where required) interstate travellers.

I can't find out - at least, not just with a few minutes' googling - how many apartment buildings are under HSW Health control, or whether the alcohol restrictions are applied routinely, or only if problems resulting from binge-drinking have manifested.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just reading that.

So there are certain apartment complexes that have been placed in the control the health authority to prevent the spread of COVID.

That control involves managing all the food, drink, medicine, people etc. that enters the building.

Now I know that is not widespread in NSW but as the above indicted there are some people who are locked in their homes.

That sounds like something out of China.

I don't think anything that drastic ever happed here.

Give me a 2km limit with the exception of work and essential shopping which was the worst we had here any day

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Yeah. We've also had 5,100 Covid deaths in Ireland. Scaled up for the Australian population, that would be over 30,000 dead. There's a price to be paid for your freedom to walk 2km, and it's not a trivial one.

The background here is that Australia has always had very tough quarantine laws (as anyone who has ever passed through an Australian airport knows). Those legal powers to detain people in compulsory quarantine? They weren't brought in in response to the pandemic; they've always been there.

They're very rarely invoked. But the fact that they're on the books at all indicates a decision in principle that people's liberty can be restricted to that extent, if that's necessary to avoid large-scale loss of life.

This might not be the trade-off that you would make, but you can't pretend that it's a wholly irrational trade-off. It's the trade-off Australians have made, and it's one that still generally enjoys consensus public support.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

@Peregrinus What is your job ?

Just asking since you love this authoritarian 6 beer limit law, also how the hell do they enforce that ?

The guy is obviously benefiting greatly from the lockdowns and doesn't want them to end.

I don't love the "authoritarian 6 beer law". I don't care much one way or the other - six beers per person per day doesn't look like cruel and unusual deprivation to me - but I am concerned about the very strict lock-in that comes with it.

I'm benefitting from having much less in the way of lockdown that Ireland had, as well as having fewer deaths in the community and a stronger economy. What's not to like?

Christ the number doesn't matter, it's a limit that won't make any difference and it should not be something they have control over - anyway, no surprise you justify it, you would probably be in favour of cameras in homes to make sure citizens are behaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The beer limit is not for everyone in lockdown, just those in buildings directly run by a health authority. Get off your stupid high horse.

This time last year the dorky looking FG Limerick TD wanted to close the Offlicences

• Advertisement

some of you lot on here would love a world like this

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There were at least 6,000 different accusations about who was to blame last year, starting with the Bulgarian fruit pickers and Italian rugby fans and offies was just one more.

I'd imagine you couldn't get through a movie without 16 cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do they specify the size of the 6 beers allwoed? I'd assumed that stubbies were the units.

Lol, oh that's grand then. No, the fact that people are having their alcohol consumption policed, in their own **** homes is absolutely ridiculous. Or at least, it is to most normal people. It's not a coincidence that it's happening in public housing buildings first. No way they would try this in a private building full of well off people but sure (not yet anyway) who cares about a bunch of poor people. They deserve it anyway the filthy, plague rats 🙄

They can do it them, they can do it to you. I'm sure you might care then.

I haven't been able to purchase alcohol in a supermarket in Ireland before 10.30 for over a decade. The number of people I have seen have to abandon their booze at the till over the years is considerable. I think a once in a couple of centuries temporary restriction on a couple of buildings is a negligible impost in comparrison to the situation in Ireland. Anyway, this is a situation where someone else has to lug the food and alcohol to the recipient, so there might be a weight issue for those doing the lugging.

I couldn't get a haircut for months here - twice! I think that's far worse, but then I'm not an alcoholic.

No. It's not a weight issue. A bottle of spirits weighs the same as a bottle of wine, but one is being confiscated and the other isn't. Stop making excuses for a ridiculously authoritarian move by the NSW government. Not sure why you keep insinuating that anyone who disagrees is an alcoholic? Bit weird tbh. I'm not an alcoholic either, good for us. I still don't agree with the government dictating what people can drink in their own homes but you do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Don't you not see the problem here, you might not think it's cruel or unusual but it's people private HOMES!!!

Example, I like whisky, but don't drink it much , so it takes me maybe 6/8 months to finish a bottle, then I get a new bottle - I rarely have more than 2 bottles in my house, if a new law came out saying "Maximum 3 bottles of whiskey in any household" I wouldn't just say "That's grand, doesn't affect me , I can still have my usual one, max 2..." I would be horrified , as it is crossing a line.

Amazed the mental gymnastics people pull to excuse this behavior.

The rule is maximum one bottle of spirits per person per day. I don't think you'd find it unduly restrictive.

I take the point that it's very intrusive, and it is concerning. But what's missing in the newspaper coveraqe is any account of why the rule is applied. Have they experience of an increased problem of drink-fuelled domestic violence when people are locked down like this? Have their own staff been subjected to hostility and/or violence fuelled by drink? I think you have to ask what problem it is they are trying to solve with this measure, and if you don't have that information it's hard to make a full evaluation of this measure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement