Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have a read of the exchange again.

Someone commented that Gallagher had done nothing for humanity in seven years. I commented (and it is a fair comment) that the same could be said of Higgins, and went further (again fair comment) that in supporting dictators like Chavez and Castro, men who should be reviled for their cruelty to fellow men, Higgins had done damage to humanity. I stand over that.

But, as your friend does, taking it out of context puts it in a different light. But, hey, I am used to that happening from certain sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is never long before the homophobic references arrive around here when Leo's name is invoked. What does it matter what taste in music he has?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,620 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You claimed Higgins had actually done damage to humanity. My claim was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They are your words blanch, I just find it interesting that your bedfellows are the Irish far right. And you still haven't explained how Higgins, a man who has spent his entire life fighting for social justice caused damage to humanity. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and you have provided none, instead preferring to throw out slurs on a persons character without being able to back it up. That's some standards blanch, maybe take a look in the mirror before you fall off that high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That's pretty damning tbh, and hard to defend. There was "twisting of words" but imo it was possibly to be kind.

Eg. Which of these two sentences sound the worse?

"I wouldn't trust him with that, as he might damage it"

"I wouldn't trust him with that, as he's already damaged it"

Ouch.

• Advertisement

'Somebody else made me say it', isn't really an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

What in the bejaysus bearing does this have on anything?

As much as it pains me to defend Varadkar, who he sleeps with and what music he listens to would be somewhere around the absolute bottom of the list of things to judge him on as a politician. I'm all for criticising the cronyism, the leaking, the talking out of both sides of his mouth....but who gives a f*ck if he listens to sh*te music and likes his partner to have swinging bits? Why should he have to hide it away to the extent that he has to, "let it out" once a year?!

It completely undermines legitimate criticism of Leo, as can be seen by one of his usual supporters jumping in and using your nonsensical post to dismiss all of the other criticism he faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There is time to time weird posts about Leo which is absolutely unconscious homophobia. Usually to do with the type of clothes he wears, or the music he listens to. Even him taking his top off on a nice summer's day in the park, one is met with this tripe. 25% of the stuff he gets on social media is absolutely vile stuff.

It is passed off as banter, of course. Sure it's all a joke. 🙄

I'm not sure how much of it is subconscious versus how much is very intentional (I'd find it very difficult to call the post I responded to subconscious homophobia), though I do think certain posters overstate how common it is and use it to deflect from legitimate criticism at times.

I'll share your eye rolling at the concept of homophobia as banter though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of anger here at the moment.

Best give the place a wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Sorry Mark, you raise this every other day. We spoke about it the other day. You are using Varadkar's sexuality to try close down due criticism. That's closer to homophobia than anything I've read here, (apart from Blanch152 posting same). Never any examples or back up. All inferred and imagined.

Unconscious or subconscious is code for not really homophobic but you'll infer where you can.

Trying to drag in an off topic irrelevant deflection.

I'm afraid this has gone the way of the claims of misogyny, not credible, unsubstantiated, (apart from your badgering a female poster in a thread you started) and damaging to true genuine people not using such things to deflect in a political discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Who is inferring this?

Surely that’s their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Not surprising, it's been a tough week for FG supporters, they need to let off some steam.

🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sure Varadkar is a homophobe himself, here he is trying to stop gay people gaining rights

He was against gay marriage as well, more homophobia against the gay community in Ireland

I do think that marriage is separate. And marriage in our Constitution is very clear that it’s a man marrying a woman, largely with a view to having a natural family, and if they are unable to do that, obviously then they can adopt. And I would be of the view that it doesn’t have to be the case for everyone, but that the preferable construct in a society is the traditional family, and the State through its laws should protect that and promote that."

At this point in his life, he was also anti-abortion, stating that "from a human rights point of view", he didn't want it legalised in Ireland.

Varadkar only dumped his homophobia when he realised that the general public wasnt as homophobic as him

I asked this before, but what relevance are his musical tastes to any discussion?

The stock answer is that its 'funny'. Remember that poster who posted under an account named after his gay partner? That was supposed to be 'funny' too.

Criticise Leo away, but leave his personal life and his tastes out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Wasn't Leo enduring most of the slagging because he wrote to Kylie under his other persona, that of "Taoiseach of Ireland"

Mr Varadkar wrote a note to the Australian singer and actress on official headed notepaper from the Office of the Taoiseach, which was released following a freedom of information request.

The letter, which was signed “Leo V Taoiseach (Irish Prime Minister)” was sent before Ms Minogue’s planned concert at Dublin’s 3Arena on October 7th

now, as it happens, I personally couldn't care less what his musical tastes are.

However, you don't seem to realise that if he is using his position of Taoiseach (as he was writing to Kylie Minogue) well then that was his decision to cross over his personal life to his very public, on government headed paper, and officially signed as "Taoiseach of Ireland" life, that is subject to tax payer criticism and comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It's not homophobic to point out how 'flamboyant' the concert he went to is!

It is clear that he has to suppress aspects of his personality to be successful.

But if we aren't allowed to be amused by the whole thing than he should be sacked. If we aren't allowed to just write the whole thing off because of some possibly misplaced sympathy for Varadkar than the whole thing is a shocking example of someone who has the right wing attitude to the law:

There are some whom the law BINDS but does NOT protect

There are some whom the law PROTECTS but does not BIND

Blueshirtism bluntly is about hierarchy. The cause to which Varadkar has devoted his life is about ensuring that those on the bottom stay on the bottom and those on the top stay on the top.

It's profoundly evil and considered as a politician that is the only way in which one could describe Varadkar. 'Evil'.

I suppose that the internalised homophobia must have twisted him in all directions.

An odd post to say the least, running all sorts of gamuts.

Leo has to suppress who he is to be successful. Em ..ok. That is of course Leo's fault

Then you say that you should be allowed to laugh at him for his musical tastes, otherwise he should be sacked!

Rants about Blueshirts...for a bit

Then finally just saying Varadkar is just 'Evil', well just cause.....

I think I need to go shower.....I'm finding myself fully agreeing with you, Mark. First time for everything I suppose.

• Advertisement

As McMurphy pointed out he brought his musical taste to the fore and lo and behold it was commented on. Speaking of subconscious, is it because people made fun of him for liking Kylie that you think of his sexuality? If they made fun of him for liking Metallica would that be homophobic?

Certainly more homophobic than criticising musical taste.

I think it does a disservice to Varadkar and the broader gay community for people to constantly bring up his sexuality and try to suggest there's inherent homophobia anytime he's criticised.

The flaw here is trying to compartmentalise people based on their sexuality. We have to allow gay people the ability to be treated like everyone else, based on their words and deeds.

Varadkar tried to use his position to get Kylie. That's a tool move. He should be taken the piss of IMO.

He also railed against same sex marriage. Now we can believe he really meant it, he was struggling with his personal issues, he took a left turn on the road to Damascus and had a change of heart, just in time to ride the public led wave.

More than likely he was being a politician. Being against it suited him at the time. Being for it suited him at the time.

Criticising Varadkar for trying to use his position to schmooze with Kylie is entirely valid.....criticism of Varadkar because he happens to like Kylie (with the, 'haha, he's a poof' undertones implied therein) isn't. I don't think it is too hard to differentiate between the two.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In fairness, the line up at the “festival” was bloody awful sh*te.

I have met Leo twice and he is indeed arrogant, aloof, cold and a bit socially awkward.

The sooner the FF/FG shower with lame duck Mehole are out of power, the better...

So you agree, whatever about Leo and his politics, laughing at his musical tastes is just nonsense, and people going on and on about it ad nauseam are showing their true colors.

That is why I refer to unconscious homophobia. The keyword there is the unconscious part.

I have issue with your raising his sexuality and inferring homophobia because he is being criticised over his politics. You have suggested on numerous occasions he was being singled out because of his sexuality. That's the nonsense. If you see such posts report them.

Making fun of him over his musical taste and using his position to try get Kylie I've no issue with it. I agree remarks relating to his taste in music and sexuality are out of order. I saw one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement

What's wrong with laughing at somebody's musical tastes, exactly?

I laughed at my late mother's musical taste (Daniel O'Donnell) and my brothers. (Bjork and Queen :))

The Leo fans are over protective, charming but kinda silly too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement