Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Rugby Championship announced, beginning September 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Sky also don't do the 10 month deal for €120 and BT in high def requires an extra €10 a month subscription

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭PMC83

I watched the Top14 yesterday on Premier Sports via NowTv Sports extra package. Streams really well, no issues. For the Top14 though the commentary is absolutely abysmal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He's knowledgeable but I think it's difficult when you've no co-comm and you're not at the ground.

It's not something that would have mass appeal but I wish there was a red button type option for the original Canal+/French feed.

Ah hes pretty so so. Wsn't up to date on the law changes and so on. Agree you really need a co commentator to bounce off though. Just soudns a little dry.

• Advertisement

In what way was it bad?

I remember the Eir commentators used to constantly talk as if they were being paid per word, used to drive me insane when I was trying to hear the ref talking! Was it similar to that?

No excitement in the commentary at all, commentator felt like he was reading off a script the whole time. His tone always the same and never built to anything, felt like he wasn't really invested. Player x has the ball, now player Y has the ball etc etc. With only one person on comms it can be very dry, particularly when they aren't actually there. There just wasn't much personality to it.

Don't think I'd mind that to be honest, less talking from commentators is better in my own opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Good news: URC TV will be available in Ireland and you'll be able to get a package that allows you to watch all games for the season or just a weekends game

Bad news: It's done in conjunction with RTE so expect RTE Player levels of quality

Potentially bad news it won't be available in the UK, which I would assume includes NI, where you will need Premier Sports

NEVER MISS A MOMENT WITH URC TV

In time for the new season, RTÉ and United Rugby Championship (URC) will launch URC TV, a new global streaming service offering fans the opportunity to watch games live and on-demand, and follow their team home or away. It is an exciting new way for fans to watch games the way they want to, regardless of where they are in the world.*

URC TV will offer a range of subscription packages including a Season Pass (all games), Weekend Passes (all games within a round) and individual games passes. These will be available for fans watching in Ireland, Europe (excluding UK), North America, South America Asia and Australasia.

A free service showing a range of highlights, archive matches and snackable videos, will be available in all countries including the UK and South Africa (fans in these countries can watch all games live on Premier Sports and Super Sport respectively).

URC TV promises to give rugby fans access to world-class, year-round content and to follow all the action of their favourite team. The streaming service is will readily available on any connected device. Matches will be broadcast in HD with high quality English commentary with the ability to cast to a smart TV.

Packages go on sale in early September, be first to hear by signing up at www.urc.tv

*excluding the UK and South Africa (fans in these countries can watch all games live on Premier Sports and Super Sport respectively). Please await further information on availability in Italy.

• Advertisement

Interesting, I sure hope that Premier Sports is still available via Now and not blocked for URC games, just shelled out for year long sub!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No pricing info? League starts in like 3 days, right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not till Friday fortnight. (24th)

Premier Sports did say their games are available in Ireland, but interesting that their ROI rights are non-exclusive.

Premier Sports has also been awarded TV rights for the Republic of Ireland for the first time in the new era of the game-changing tournament expanding its coverage to bring together live coverage from each round to a wider rugby audience across the UK and Ireland.

I took it that Premier Sports will show all games in ROI. I certainly hope that's the case!

There'll be a lot of pissed off people if it turns out this is not the case. I would imagine many people took out Sky subs on the back of this, or 12 month NowTV deals.

Even in that case, they would still carry the games RTE and TG4 don't show surely.

Maybe. Personally I find it quite difficult to watch games on TG4, though I don't see them airing many Ulster games anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Premier Sports have already announced they have the rights to the UK AND Ireland. Stop worrying about it.

UK sports broadcaster Premier Sports will show every game LIVE and host more than 100 exclusive rugby fixtures in the new look United Rugby Championship with coverage from every round across five elite rugby nations - Ireland, Italy, Wales, Scotland and South Africa.

Premier Sports has also been awarded TV rights for the Republic of Ireland for the first time in the new era of the game-changing tournament expanding its coverage to bring together live coverage from each round to a wider rugby audience across the UK and Ireland.

Live coverage in the Republic of Ireland for the first time with every game live

That would seem to be it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Stormers players jumping ship before the league even starts PSDT and another player off to Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

YUUUUSSS, been waiting for something like this for ages. Such a pain in the arse trying to find legal ways to watch games here.

PSDT was off anyway. Munster tried to sign him, so he was out of contract and on the market.

I have to say I'm getting excited about this kicking off. The Saffa teams really will add a new dimension.

Watching Super Rugby Trans Tasman I wonder are the OZ/NZ teams wondering if the restructure such a good idea. Its become a real 1 horse race there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I know some people are really opposed to the SA teams but I think something had to be done to improve the standard. They bring loads of TV money which teams need to use to strengthen their squads.

The pro 14 teams would struggle in the French or English league. I think even leinster would struggle if they had to play big teams every week. As it stands they can rest the big players and play 50+ players a year because they can afford to try young guys and still get bonus point wins because the opposition is poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The English league is beyond overrated. Leinster wouldn't struggle there in the slightest

Leinster would not struggle in the English league. There is plenty of poor opposition available there also.

Yeah I've seen a few people moan about it but for the reasons you've listed its a win win as far as I can see. With new teams theres going to eb a lot of unknowns, in terms of results and so on. I think its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Who is really opposed to the SA teams coming in? Everyone I've spoken to or read on here thinks it's great.

There's some poor opposition but there are far more games where they would need more of their top players. More miles on the clock, shorter careers, more injuries, less time to recover and less time to rest to be ready for the big games.

I don’t think they would be able to choose their peaks in the same way they can in the pro 14 because they would have to protect their league position.

I think it would make a difference and I don't think they would ever be close to guaranteed a league win like they have in that last few years.

Playing over 50 players a year consistently and still winning all but a couple of their games, is a sign of a very poor league. No matter how overrated you think the premiership is, do you honestly thing it not a good step up from the pro 14/12?

• Advertisement

Definitely a few welsh fans, still pining to be in the prem, banging on about rivalries that don't actually exist

Of course they wouldn't be guaranteed a league win! Sarries are in the league for one! I would however be amazed if they were not consistently in the playoffs. Of course its a false comparison due to the different salary structures and environments the two leagues operate in.

I think the Premiership is a massive step up when the internationals are not available as they are simply far less effected. And unfortunately that happens too often. Outside of that, not particularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The URC/Pro 14 whatever you want to call it could give the Welsh regions £100m each per season and the fans would still want an Anglo/Welsh league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Premiership is entertaining enough, last season in particular saw some cracking matches, but the same can be said of the Pro 14. It just doesn't have the hype of the Premiership.

I think Leinster would win the Premiership, they'd certainly be in the Play Offs pretty much every season, there's an element of luck obviously from that point, but with their strongest team in the playoffs they'd be favourites IMO.

Munster and Ulster would be very competitive, but wouldn't have the depth, especially Ulster, to be able to switch their teams about and expect to win every week like they did in the Pro 14. Munster might just about be able to squeeze into the play offs with Ulster just outside, but probably in the top 6.

Connacht would be comfortable as well, especially with their home form and would be top 8 IMO.

I think you're underestimating the impact of the lower quality pro 14 matches on squad development and knock on impacts.

Leinster gets to use 50+ players a season which gives them the chance to develop young players like Osbourne and the O'Brien production line. In turn they can rest players like Fardy and only use them in big games. If they played in the Prem they would have to play more of the big players more often to just compete. They would play fewer young and academy players and they wouldn't have the same throughput of academy players. The academy wouldn't be as attractive to young players and they would be more inclined to leave for first team game time and Leinster would have to rely on more fully formed Irish qualified and NIQ players. The whole setup works as well as it does because they have so many matches where they can rest the entire first team (except players who need game time) and still expect a bonus point win.

I think you're underestimating the knock on effects of the potential to rotate the squad and develop players. The accumulative impact over a few years would be big.

I thin they would benefit from some tougher matches though. It has been shown that they struggle with the physicality of the bigger teams in Europe because they are used to beating muss less physical teams week in, week out.

When a team like Leinster wins, it's because they can rest players in the league.

When a team like Leinster loses, it's because they rest players in the league.

• Advertisement

Premiership teams do rest their players for some games.

Ah yeah but you can't pretend not to understand the distinction between resting all but 2 or 3 frontline players against Ospreys and losing and then playing all the rested players against Exeter and winning.

They generally win with bonus points even when they rest the entire front line except 2 or 3. Having such a weak league is great for player development broadly, but not good for developing the toughness they need to compete at the top of Europe. I hope the SA teams bring that toughness to the league.

Leinster don't "get to" use 50+ players, they are pretty much forced to.

I also rate the bottom half of the Premiership a lot lower than you seemingly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster might win the Premiership but they wouldn't win it playing a glorified A team with a few senior players sprinkled in every week like they do in the prowhatever.

The gulf between the haves and the have nots in the prowhatever was enormous. A chasm. Ulster had twice as many points as the next team in the table. We are all hoping that the South African's help fix this by adding a few more haves to the league to try tip the apple cart.

• Advertisement

Getting back to actual URC stuff, Ruan Pienaar is joining the Sharks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Leinster would be able to rest plenty of players against the likes of Worcester, Newcastle, London Irish, plus which relatively big team has decided to be terrible that year e.g. Leicester recently.

They'd immediately join Saracens & Exeter above the rest

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Not trying to be argumentative, but you've gone from saying you think they'd struggle to saying you don't think they'd be guaranteed a league win; they're very difference positions.

I don't really see enough of the Prem to have an informed opinion, but my impression is that the major difference between the leagues is that the weakest teams in the Prem are far stronger than the weakest teams in the ProXX. But I'd expect the Provinces the be reasonably competitive.

This is great, will be happy top watch him again. I wondered would he have went to Cheetahs had known they were getting cut

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Why are people talking about Leinster resting players? Surely everyone and their dogs know that this isn’t what actually happens? Leinster (and the other provinces) are made do without some of their players due to IRFU player welfare. They may have a small amount of control over which specific game of 2 or 3 that guys are available for, but that’s at best. Leinster are forced to manage game time due to the IRFU, not by choice.

Also, Leinster are 1 of 4 teams in Ireland and they contribute a large number of players to the Ireland squad. Any English team is 1 of 12 and none contribute as much to England as Leinster do to Ireland. This is a pretty fundamental difference to how sides in both countries operate. Trying some sort of direct comparison with completely different structures isn’t really like for like. Even looking at the weaker teams in both leagues, those in the Pro14 have been far more disproportionately affected by International call ups than those in the Premiership. How many call ups have Worcester had lately? So any comments about weaker Leinster teams having a harder time in the Premiership are pretty obvious. In the Pro14 they’ve been playing weak sides further weakened by international call ups. in the Premiership they’d have been playing weaker sides unaffected by call ups. Apples and oranges…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Bit of a mess going on in SA the Union apparently just threatened the stormers with an ultimatum which if not met will mean they'll be replaced in the URC by the cheetahs who today also.agreed to loan players to the sharks for the URC, not exactly much joint up thinking going on there. Seems the cheetahs knew very little about the proposal if they agreed the deal with the sharks!

The WP unions financial issues have been public knowledge for years. It actually went into liquidation back in 2016. They've had to sell Newlands to developers and move to the Cape Town Stadium. Kolisi moved to the Sharks and PSDT is gone to Japan. It's a shitshow but it's not surprising.

The SARU has history of swapping franchises in and out.

Sure we'd all be bored if there wasn't some talk of the team roster changing or the competition format changing. A key feature of the prowhatever / urc!

What have the URC to do with internal problems in SA?

I think it's great to see South African teams coming into our league, sadly though I think it's being implemented incorrectly. Most of the big name South Africans are playing in England, France and Japan. I think in the first Lions test there were 6 URC players in the SA starting XV for example

• Advertisement
Advertisement