Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

An honest assessment it may be, I just dont see the need for it 2 days before an all Ireland when fans are bound to be giddy. You could say nothing and let it go.

Anyway, I'll say no more cos I just think you're wrong on this 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Can't see Darren Coen starting either. I've a feeling Jordan Flynn or Bryan Walsh could come into the half forward line in place of McHale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

How much were they ahead v Kerry at half time in the league ?

How much were they ahead v Meath in the championship at half time ?

Its all opinions of course , but in my opinion is this Dublin team is in serious decline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fair point, D Coen is well down the list of guys who will enjoy tracking so that might not be an option, you don't want to give their FB line any sense that they'll bomb forward with no pressure.

On the other hand, I just think it's a bit of a punt to nothing... Let him shoot on sight if he's got the space, if they're going long with kickouts then even if he misses, we can contest the kickout moreso than we could against Dublin or Kerry. He would take the pressure of Tommy and Ryan in that sense as well at the start of the game.

I wouldn't start him Vs Dublin or Kerry but just had a feeling it could suit him... But you're probably right re the defensive side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Bloody hell just got offered a ticket. Family member only found this morning he won in yesterday draw but he just can't make it.

Feel bit guilty but at same time honored to take it. Unreal situation really...

All the best with the quest everyone. Definitely not an ideal situation for alot of hardcore supporters missing out.

Yop you can remove me from the list. Appreciate you organizing it.

Maigh Eo abú

And you are entitled to your opinion , i just feel that as you say Mayo fans are getting giddy , and they in my opinion need to look at the facts with open eyes

again no sour grapes intended , oh and i just think you are wrong and way out of order , ill say no more !

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I can't remember how much they were ahead of Kerry at half time, but I do remember it was only a last second Clifford penalty that snatched a draw. Dublin have always lost the odd league game anyway so that proves little either way.

They beat Meath by 6 points in the end. That's a hammering by everyone else's standard.

My main point was Dublin led Mayo by 7 in 2015 and drew the game. In 2016 they had a 5 point lead at half time and drew the game. So this year wasn't completely unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Do not take me off, at this point this is my last hope. Thanks for including me in the first place. Fair play.

• Advertisement

Will do , thanks for your attacking contribution

Yes and all im saying is , in my humble opinon Dublin are not the force they were and are in serious decline , its there for all to see they have nothing coming from the bench and the starting 15 are struggling big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

It's your lucky day, there is a Dublin thread on this forum to discuss that in details. Knock yourself out.

Here is a link in case you can't find it. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058058174/dublin-gaa-discussion-thread-capital-gains

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Are you able to share those Dublin Mick WhatsApp messages? I have the main part but it’s just a photo and only goes as far as “Dessie (Na Fianna) told the captain”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That's fantastic. I thought at this stage I'd be a bitter little man hearing about those getting tickets. But I don't feel like that at all. THe more Mayo fans that can make it, and belt out THe Green and REd of Mayo when the team get over the line, the better.

Have a great day. If it's anything like the atmosphere on the Hill for the Dublin match, it will be fantastic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is that a ticket arrrgh or is it only Thursday?? :D

Great news on the ticket there Fowler!!!! Maybe time for another mass lads for more tickets!!!

On Darren Coen, he is a top impact sub and I think we will see him in the last 15-20. I think (hope) he has 2 points in his ala Costello, McManamon etc :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fair opinion that and I was only thinking about Kerry, I think they have been completely hyped up with zero reason that they deserved it. Big performances when they hammered the now AI finalists and a Galway team that are no where near the level people think. Clifford junior had a poor Munster, his brother once choked up didn't perform in the AI semi and O'shea again another with a big reputation just not appearing. Kerry have no bench which was proved again the semi as it was in the AI final 2 years ago.

Add to that the decling Dubs drew with the superstars Kerry in the league and ended up on the same points.

All points are valid, all opinions carry weight, as do yours. Now I think Kerry were equal to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Noticed alot of "them vs Us" comments in the media around Tyrone. Tyrone are one team that love giving the two fingers to the rest when they feel hard done by. Mickie Harte was good at it, they have done Kerry loads of times even when they were not expected, covid issue. They are always looking for a edge to put a "them vs us".

I am getting a little weary of this game reading this stuff as they are the best around giving the two fingers!!

Post edited by Audioslaven on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Mayodad

A word of warning......

Just printed off my golden ticket and luckily I read the small print first. It says only one scan allowed per ticket. I was just about to scan it using a scanner app, to make sure it printed correctly!!

Not sure if it would scan but didn't try it just in case!!

Thats one scan on the handhelds at Croker. In case u think u can go in and out of Croker, you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I've given up on a ticket at this stage.....quite a cathartic and calming experience I have to say.

My chances were slim at best but I've made so much noise down here in Limerick that I'll be at the forefront of people's minds in years to come when Mayo tickets are more available :-)

Listening to a bunch of podcasts right now... excitement and anxiety building

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

I've been at every All Ireland in my life time, 1989,1996 plus replay,1997, 2004, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2016 plus replay, 2017. Obviously wasn't at last year's final but I've a bad feeling now I won't get a ticket for this one. It's getting desperate, I have entered loads of draws and nothing.

Same... Bar 1989 ( I was 4) and 2012 as I was away. One final kick from covid 😔

Hope something turns up for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

I was actually only 7 years old myself, sitting on a barrier with loads of Cork fans around me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

How much money have you spent on draws if you don't mind me asking. Infuriating that you can't get a ticket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

That just means, it can only be scanned once goin into croke park IE if you make a copy of it the first one scanned is the only one that will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Was there in 89 as well....I could almost reach out and touch Finnerty's hair from where I was sitting :-)

I was only 10 or so at the time but I can remember the utter devastation and heartbreak at full time. 2016 was bad as well but 89 will stick with me.... we're used of getting to finals now but back then it felt like a once in a lifetime event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Must have spent nigh on €200 on draws myself. It's infuriating alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think I'm up at 300 now. In hindsight spending €590 for a ticket from Mayo GAA and not bothering with draws doesn't look all that bad apart from the principle of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

My first time (apart from last year) not being there for the Final. In my lifetime.

But no ticket this time. Really hate to miss it. Barring some miracle it's Telly and a cup of tea for me.

Anyone who has a ticket. Do your bit to drive on the team and believe.

Mayo for Sam!

And if you bought an ST + for 200 quid and then all the money spent on the draws I'm up around 400 quid. And I didn't get my ticket from my ST or any of the draws!

Heard of 2 more lads getting tickets this AM lads. So keep the faith on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have also given up on the ticket hunt. Haven't had a sniff of one, neither has anyone I know. I just hope plenty of Mayo people get their tickets and make plenty of noise.

Also agree that the ticket issue has sucked a lot of the joy out of the build up. Very shambolic the way the whole thing was handled.

But anyway, I'm still excited for the game. Hoping for a dry day.

I think Mullin will start if he is fit. Hession will be held back imo.

Think McHale played himself out of starting contention in the semifinal unfortunately, he just couldn't get to the pitch of the game.

Could Harrison be a surprise starter? It could release Keegan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

It was unfair to play McHale at wing forward. He had a good season at full forward, had built up momentum and was a dangerous inside man. Wing forward is completely different type role. I'd have him in the inside line against Tyrone, and O'SHea out around the number 11 and midfield.

I think if they had offered season ticket holders an option of a ticket with the caveat that next years season ticket would be more expensive instead of offering tickets for 590 a piece they would have come out of this looking alot better. I'm also club + holder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I reckon Mayo will win this as easily as Dublin beat Tyrone in the final few years ago, so saying Mayo win by at least 6pts. Everybody even people from Tyrone are surprised they are in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Same as that. Load of people I know in the same boat. Spent a fortune on draws with no joy.

Reality of missing out hit hard yesterday, felt physically sick at the thought and the mood wasn't great. I don't think I'd ever feel the same about it if after all the highs and lows down the years to not be there. Trying hard not to think about it. A miracle is needed though. It's chronic how bad it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Hey All,

Corkman here but a few of us are up heading to Westport this weekend to be part of the celebrations when you guys are finally crowned champions on Saturday evening. Just looking for recommendations where to watch the game. We'd prefer a wet pub if possible? I reckon the place is going to go mad o nSAturday night..Mayo abu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

To all the hard done by season ticket holders who haven't got tickets. Welcome to the world of the non season ticket holders and the pain we went through for all the past finals and semi finals it really takes away from the build up. But the joy of finally getting that ticket is something else.

There's still plenty of time don't lose hope yet, often only got a ticket the morning of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Everywhere is pretty much booked out, so if you are staying in a hotel I'd recommend watching it there! Another thing to note is that Westport has been very strict on checking Covid certs so make sure you have them with you! Let ye enjoy yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mayodad

You know I did actually think this last night. I've had the ST for 7 years so was always guaranteed a spot but I'll never take it for granted again! It's a privileged position to be in... Enjoying a drink in Drumcondra and not searching for a ticket.

Getting close and exciting now..CMON lads. Let's win this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Thanks. Looking forward to it. It'll be a great night of celebrations...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭enricoh

A barfly in the local pub has a contact in croker n has come up trump's over the years. in The missus is from mayo n had no joy so far and has ordered me to go to the pub tonight to get acquainted! I'm willing to help out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Mayo don't do easy and if they win it will be probably be by one point. If you're convinced Mayo will win 11-4 to win by 1 to 3 points is a gift. A draw is a strong possibility as reflected in the reduced price of 15/2. I backed both semi draws Mayo v Dub at 9s and Kerry Tyrone at a massive 14. Ive been backing draws in GAA all year with great success and even had a draw double and 2 singles in the league which got me 1100 euro. I'll back the draw again on Saturday but won't go crazy I really think Tyrone will win in 70 also by a point or 2. Again if you're are convinced Mayo really ARE for Sam 33/1 for Kevin McLoughlin for RTE motm must be worth a punt, has the man ever had a poor game? He's not the most recognisable but if you were to make a list of players that will produce 7/10 performance or better he'd surely be on it. I feel that 6/5 Tyrone to lift the cup is bet of the day. I hope, I wish I pray that I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Fantastic logic. Measuring a game 3 years ago against the current day.

I must get your betting predictions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The game might start at a ferocious pace but its also going to finish at a ferocious pace with all the fresh players coming on.

Never will a subs bench be more important in an AI final and the subs will probably win this game. Hopefully Mayo are just that bit fresher in the final straight than Tyrone.

You'd have to say though if Tyrone win its some achievement by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DavidL22

McHale not at the level yet IMO. he's one for next year, we need 15 v 15 from the start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement