Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

yikes.what final checks were done - was it meeting your conditions or other items?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

My solicitor put in the request for drawdown last Friday with BOI, forwarded the last of the documentation to them on Monday just gone, and my mortgage advisor at BOI phoned me today to say that the funds had been transferred and would be with my solicitor tomorrow.

Just checking the docs and even though no issues, took that long. But I think it’s a PTSB problem

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Iris11111

Huge Congrats to you and your fiancé ! That is an achievement. We are quite similar - 3 times different closing date in the last 2 weeks. Hopefully the keys are soon to come - this week or next.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭FrankN1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭raxy

When we got our mortgage approval my wife was still on probation. They gave us AIP but there was a clause that we couldn't draw down until the probation was over.

That was with KBC

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭busylady

I don'y think you can blame the solicitor here - a solicitor requires the title deeds and a number of other documents from the Vendor before issuing contracts. They also need instructions from their client to issue the contracts. My guess is that the Vendor is in no rush. There is nothing your own solicitor can do until they recieve the contracts from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

Banks will progress your Mortgage Approval even if you are in probation. You are not however allowed to drawdown before probation period is over, which should be okay since your sale will definitely not close during your probation period as you would still be within your rental notice. Your Landlord can’t close the sale if the property is not vacant. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

PTSB approved us while I was on probation. They said I need to show a letter from employer stating I passed probation when drawing down

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How long would people expect a purchase to take from sale agreed to receiving the keys in the case of a FTB (with mortgage) buying an unoccupied property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I was told it could be as short as 6-8 weeks but in reality, I'm getting the keys tomorrow and it's been about 12-14 weeks. FTB and unoccupied property.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's pretty lengthy, was hoping for 6-8 also. Anything in particular hold it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Its amazing. The EA still doesnt realize they are playing two halfs of the same couple.

The latest is that they called him back last night and said the person who offered €545k has dropped out. So his offer of €540 was accepted.

He just said, sorry, i've lost interest in the house and am bidding on another instead.

I'll keep you filled in how this develops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Iris11111

We were told as somebody mentioned above 6 - 8 weeks, but here comes the but......

15 June sale agreed - then solicitors went on vacation - one week ours - one week vendors.

Signed contracts 12 August - and we are few days of collecting keys now. Also bank is having a backlogs on drawdown - so better mentally prepare for 12 weeks ( anything shorter will be a bonus).

Post edited by Iris11111 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Auctioneers know all the tricks now … they unstoppable … I had the opposite happen to us… we were tryin for a house and had been in touch and bidding on house … when got a call to let us know the house had been sold!!! The rang to tell us they had advised owner to take the last offer without giving us a chance to put in another offer!!! Clearly money was put in auctioneers hand that was goin to be more than he figured he would get in commission for difference we would’ve put down!!! Was totally sickened … wonder how common that is …. And there’s no way the owner will know they got shafted either

Insurance company came back pretty late in the day asking for some tests to be done due to family history but it would have taken about 10 weeks minimum regardless, August was prime annual leave season so solicitors/brokers on both sides were periodically on leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That reminds me of how my friend bought his house about 20 years ago.

One of his in-laws worked in an estate agent. Saw a house coming up down the the road from their house. Told my friend that to bid and they would keep other bids away from the vendor. My friend bought the house very cheaply. A few years later the other sister bought a house on the same road.

I wonder did they do the same for the other sister that time.

No probate, just all the box-ticking took longer than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jesus! That's terrible, the poor vendor.

When I was selling my old house 6 years ago (3 bed semi D in a nice part of Bray) I got the impression the EA wanted a quick sale on it or was up to something like this.

Had one viewing, a buyer in offering 10k under asking straight away and the EA on to me saying to take it and there was nothing left to get out of it.

I wanted to tease it out a little bit longer and literally had her shouting down the phone at me saying I'm being stupid and was going to lose the sale.

Held on a week and got another 10k out if the buyer.

The house sold again the following year for 70k more. :mad:

We put so much trust in estate agents to handle some of the biggest sums of money we will be working with in our lives, it's absolutely infuriating to hear about them doing things like this. In retrospect I should have cut my losses and went with another EA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

That’s why the vendor should demand that the bidding process is transparent. All bids should be registered and dated. An EA company in Dublin is very good with this. Vendors are set-up with a dashboard on their system. Bidders make bids online and every bid including bidder’s names, their position (cash buyer, FTB, seller on a chain) are recorded and seen by the vendor. Real time notification is sent to the vendor for every bid made online… EA can’t hide a bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

This is what’s needed cause clearly an auctioneers word of mouth can’t be trusted and there was no transparency in my case and nothing I could do

Would I be out of order if I called the vendors solicitor and asked him directly what is going on? Going out of my mind here with the lack of communication!

I believe thats the way its mostly done now. So it would be much harder to pull that stroke.

But when I was buyiong not too long ago i did find that some EAs were just blanking me. I would say, i will give you a call next week when i decide how much im going to bid and they would say "well to be fair, its probably not worth you making a bid as you havent all your ducks in a row yet" or "really, they are already taking to their preferred bidder so i wouldnt bother."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

They will not discuss it with you as you are not their client. Unfortunately you are at their mercy throughout the process so I wouldn't get on the wrong side of them. Pester your own solicitor and the EA to hound the vendors solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Are the vendors awaiting Probate to be granted? This can slow the whole thing down significantly. If you don't know the answer to this already, then ask now. We bought a house last year that took ~5 months to close because of the probate issue. My own Granny died a year before this and her estate was granted probate at the same time, so there can be huge discrepancies in the time it takes, depending on any queries lodged.

When we went SA on the house we were told that probate had been issued but later told that wasn't the case, so I would definitely check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

This story is very interesting. Is it a small EA or one of the more well known ones? I also think I'm being played by an EA on a house we love.

Will try to keep the story as short as possible...

Went to view the house, loved it. Followed up with EA a couple of times to check if any bids had been made. None made so we arranged a second viewing to see it. Just before we are to go view it a second time we are told a "bid has just been received" which was €25k under asking price. I now firmly believe this was EA kicking things off to try get bidding started. We viewed a second time and decided to go in €5k above the opening bid.

EA calls the following week to say the under bidder has now gone €5k above our price. I say that's fine, we will have a think about it and get back. I send an email that evening asking a few questions e.g. Can you confirm there are currently two bidders, the current bid is x, is the current highest bid under consideration by the vendor, etc. Only four simple yes/no questions in the email.

EA won't respond over email and leaves a voicemail saying it's easier to explain on the phone. This arouses my suspicions. The phone call happens and nothing in the call that could not have been answered over email - seems to me they are unwilling to put this stuff in writing which seems odd if bids are legit.

We are now at a point where we are fully stretched budget wise. EA says there are multiple bidders and seems to be playing them all against each other to drive up the price.

It's honestly ridiculous the lack of transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭ec18

You know your last paragraph is essentially the estate agents drive? I.e drive up the price so his client gets the highest selling price. Like what are people expecting from the VENDORs representation? Their job is to get the highest selling price that can close. you've no right to see other peoples bid info, it's possibly a data protection issue. As in to have access to data you must have a legal basis. You don't have any legal basis or reason for seeing their name and bid amount. EA is under no obligation to let you know those details they are negotiating for the vendor and the more they know and the less you do the better for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Falling

We were in the same boat last year- FTB, nobody in the house. Sale agreed on 17th July, keys on September 18th with KBC. They'd given us AIP with most of the underwriting done so that part didn't take as long as it could have, even though it seemed to drag on like an ice age at the time :)

In fairness it involved being on the phone and coordinating stuff everyday but it was definitely worth it. And our solicitor was brilliant- he was all over it all the time.

Advertisement