Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,708 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We I never knew we had gotten into one of the higher brackets I was sure we had 4 riders.

If we can send 6 then he should definitely go even if it's just to pace and collect bottles for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It was a funny season due to covid last year so I think a lot of Sam's results from last year still counted but they've fallen off the record now so that's why we've dropped so many places

Dropped ?

6 spots in any race sounds like a lot for Ireland. It's not the first time but I don't think it's normal either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tour of Britain has had Ben Healey and Rory Townsend under the union flag a couple of times I've seen. GCN World of Cycling even discussed "British" rider Rory Townsend's performance in the opening sprint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement

The tour of Britain even had a 4 part youtube series and its introduced as follows

"Ever wondered how Britain’s top domestic riders prepare for the UK’s biggest bike race? All will be revealed in our new video series: the Road to the Tour of Britain."

2 of the 5 riders featured are Ben and Rory.

Points are earned based on results in races. Gilbert still has points from Paris-Roubaix in 2019 as it was cancelled in 2020 and moved to later this year. These points will only be dropped from his score once the 2021 race is run.

I understand how the points work I maybe just took the "drooped so many places" comment up wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

The latest outburst from Patrick...

New episode in the raging feud between Patrick Lefevere and Sam Bennett. For Deceuninck - Quick-Step, the Irish sprinter has not raced since May, but on Sunday he will start for Ireland at the European Championships. A declaration of war for Patrick Lefevere: "All the tricks of the trade are apparently good."

The team manager of Deceuninck - Quick-Step thinks it's a joke, Bennett riding the European Championships. For him, the selection is therefore more a legal move than a sporting choice. "Trick of the trade", he says.

With Bennett, there is more than a hair in the butter since the Tour de France. The rider had to forfeit because of knee injury, but his unclear communication about it annoyed the team. "Behind our back he went to Froome's physiotherapist," Lefevere said. "Who said, 'train' but, against the advice of our doctor Yvan Vanmol. Yvan has worked for our team for 27 years and has seen the same injury in Boonen and Alaphilippe. But his diagnosis apparently doesn't count."

Because the Irish sprinter has not raced for Deceuninck - Quick-Step since the Tour of the Algarve in May, the team wants to halve his salary from September. The UCI rules allow this from an inactivity of three months. Bennett and his entourage were informed of this in writing last week.

"Those who know me know that I never do that," Lefevere said. "Jakobsen and dozens of other riders I have continued to be paid in full, despite long injuries. But here the rider is acting in bad faith: he is no longer training. He won't have surgery. And he's crying on the phone to our doctor Philip Jansen."

By participating in the European Championship - within the Irish selection and separate from Deceuninck - Quick-Step Bennett wants to prove that he is race fit. And that it is therefore a choice of the team not to pick him for races. "I hear from his manager Andrew McQuaid that he will definitely finish the European Championship. I'm not so sure about that yet. We have already proposed to do an effort test with us at the Bakala Academy, but he won't accept it. For me it's simple: first prove you're fit before you take the place of a teammate."

Lefevere believes manager McQuaid has used his influence to force a selection for the European Championship. "How many riders does Ireland have? Three or four. Everybody knows everybody in that world. McQuaid tells me he is doing everything he can to defend the interests of his riders, and I grant him that. But I suppose in the future he wants to bring riders to my team as well."

Lefevere is not impressed by Bennett's departure. He is arming himself for a legal challenge by documenting where the rider has been at fault in recent months. That includes failing to upload training files, but also failing to comply with the team's dress code. "What he is doing now is playing with my balls in public," Lefevere concludes. "He has also already sent a letter to the UCI to complain that I have targeted him in the media. It won't work. I'm going to get back at him until the steam comes out of his ears."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

At this stage the only (in)appropriate answer to Pat is ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not really wanting to lower the tone further, but Scottish Pirate Metallers, Alestorm do it better...

EDIT: NSFW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I think Sam may have learned how to press Lefevre's buttons. That latest outburst is just , to quote Billy Nomates, "Soft rage from old age"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

This is bad

And no matter that Lefevre is in the wrong it is bad for Sam

He needs to race and not have the mental pressure of this ..If I were him I'd go to Lefevre and reach a compromise and race and get paid...even if he has to swallow all his pride and anger. This is his livelihood

He can **** Lefevre out of it next year or the year after

Yeah that ship has long since sailed I think.

I would tend to agree at face value, but it's clear Lefevre and McQuaid have been in contact, Lefevre saying the Sam is in contact with the team (Doctor). That's what we get from only one side of the story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sam has shown his class by not engaging with him in public, McQuaid will have all the Ts crossed and Is dotted behind the scenes. From an employment perspective, it doesn't matter what the UCI rules are, Pats behaviour alone would be enough to get him strung up in a LRC. You'd have to wonder how he gets away with it. I have to say, the playing with my balls in public quote is gold though, not only funny but yet again, makes it sound like Pat has cracked and Sam is in complete control.

Perhaps Bennett and Lefevre have been trolling us all along. Maybe they've both signed a contract with Netflix for a new fly-on-the-wall cycling documentary, called "The Least Unexpected Press Release"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I would like to hear more from Sam Bennett's side of this.

I'd like to know why he didn't ride the tour...was it because he banged his knee? I thought he was going for an operation for that and would be out till next season.

Good chance I haven't kept up to date on this story so would like a bit more info about what's going on.

Cav now starting the get the Lefevere treatment. But yeah, the problem was Sam...

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefevere-mark-cavendish-thinks-its-time-to-cash-in-again/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sam down to ride the Championship of Flanders this weekend. Jakobsen also riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Id say if Lefevre was running this local corner shop he'd be trying to underpay his staff and get them on minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If I was Cav I'd be asking for more money just for having to put up with aul Pat.

All jokes aside, surely Cav beating Merck's record under your team is worth a significant sum marketing wise, I know Fabio's chomping at the bit to take over, but your negotiation tactics of "you're not as good as you think and we're not going to give you a chance to break the record you almost broke this year unexpectedly when you filled in at last minute" aren't exactly conducive

However Cav will be 37 next year and there will be a point where that particular train runs out of steam (TBH, I'm surprised its still running). Its also unlikely that there will be such a fortuitous combination of events that remove most of the opposition.

The problem isn't really Lefevere's thinking on Cav - whom, whilst I concur could only beat those there, got very lucky this year in terms of who he was up against - but why do so in public? Even the racing contract is one thing, but the digs about a future role are completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

Lefevre is writing a column in what is effectively the Flemish equivalent of the Sun. His writing exhibits all the sensitivity one might expect from this sort of rag. I shudder to think what it might be like to be mangaged by the f*cker.

Would have thought they might have raced Sam in Frankfurt on Sunday as it's one he's done in the past but it looks like DQS aren't there at all along with a couple of other teams. Seems to be one of those races that even though it's a world tour race not all all WT teams attend. The amount of racing going on this week I'm sure most teams are stretched very thin.

Bennett selected for Kampioenschap van Vlaanderen and PL is now using his column to throw dirt at Cavendish who is apparently asking for too much money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

This just smells of what lefevere would do.

https://twitter.com/rianjkeogh/status/1437799788255252488?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

According to Pat 'my balls'.... Sam's going to have a very busy few weeks.

“On Sunday he will also participate in Gooikse Pijl, on Tuesday he will start in Vichte plus everything that comes afterwards. He wanted it that way. Now I’m suddenly sorry that the Tour of Guangxi in China has been cancelled.” 

Advertisement