Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hogging a chargepoint

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

knipex wrote: »
    Oh you were being serious !!

These

wow, those are cool.
    Imagine having a way of bringing energy with you on your travels!

Hopefully they invent something similar for electric vehicles.
    maybe there would be room under the car somewhere? We can only dream i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Why buy a diesel car?

My 42km of EV driving is the very same as 10% of a Niro's 420 km at 50% of the price and none of the draw backs.

50% of the price? Please explain further... unless you are talking about purchase price and ignoring running costs for some reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

My mistake, I am sorry

My train of thought was wrong there, comparing new niro with 2nd hand outlander

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

That's a well known person in Ennis, who owns a long established drapery. Plugs it in and leaves it parked for the day. He's some character alright.

Why wouldn't he as there is no disadvantage to himself and lets be honest the majority of people who buy EVs do so solely to gain a personal advantage and not save the planet.
    Again you assume its penny pinching, any time I rapid charged, I had time to spare, usually its getting tea on the way to Dublin, or in Waterford other half is shopping, ( I have no interest following her).

Anyone who plugs into a public charger and sits there sucking out the last electron of juice so as to say a few cent on their home electric bill can only be described as a penny pincher. Because of that it can be guaranteed they will no longer hog a public charger when it is less expensive to charge at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

GreeBo wrote: »
    wow, those are cool.

Ya, fill the boot with extra swapable batteries. or strap then to the side of the car..

read the post I was replying to.

• Advertisement

creedp wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he as there is no disadvantage to himself and lets be honest the majority of people who buy EVs do so solely to gain a personal advantage and not save the planet.

Anyone who plugs into a public charger and sits there sucking out the last electron of juice so as to say a few cent on their home electric bill can only be described as a penny pincher. Because of that it can be guaranteed they will no longer hog a public charger when it is less expensive to charge at home.

I would agree, but some will pay to save the planet, just as some pay more for processed veg in a burger shape.

Still ignoring the fact of egocentric users, who did not get there before the other egocentric user.

I would pay 10 euro for a charge just to see some people blow up with rage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

GreeBo wrote: »
    wow, those are cool.

Nope. Already there. Build a small battery pack with 18650 cells from dead laptop batteries and bring a decent quality 1.5kW inverter. Thinking of doing that myself if I can do it cheaply enough.

I would agree, but some will pay to save the planet, just as some pay more for processed veg in a burger shape.

Still ignoring the fact of egocentric users, who did not get there before the other egocentric user.

I would pay 10 euro for a charge just to see some people blow up with rage.

I still don't understand your point because if charges are introduced for public charging then charging at home with night rate electricity will both save money and be environmentally friendly as a significant proportion of night time electricity is generated by wind. As for the quality issue electricity is not like washed diesel so paying more does not ensure a higher quality of electricity.

As for the egocentric issue I've obviously misinterpreted the point being made here as anyone who deliberately wastes money and achieves no gain simply to frustrate someone else to my mind is just being petty and vindictive. Going back to the shopping analogy it would be like someone unnecessarily filling a trolley and waiting for some poor sod to come along with a couple of items before jumping in ahead of them in the queue simply to delay them ... surely no rational and psychologically healthy person would act in this manner? ... Obviously I must be missing the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The food in the house would last longer (petrol in my tank)

Again you assume its penny pinching, any time I rapid charged, I had time to spare, usually its getting tea on the way to Dublin, or in Waterford other half is shopping, ( I have no interest following her).

Bitching will become more common, because any chance of some one being let off will be gone when fee's come in, and more people will switch to EV, you may get a really nice M3P, standard range MX or a used MS P85D/P90D but most will not spend that kind of money, so you will be looking at a leaf or an ioniq charging, an ioniq by the way charges at the same speed at 75% full as my outlander is at when its 30%.

Hogging is in the imagination of the egocentric.

Lets break this down.

Why buy an electric car? save the planet, save money, do both? complain when you cannot do both? bitch about people who do?

Why buy a phev? save the planet save money, do both when using electricity? not depend on rapid charging, cheaper than a really nice M3P, standard range MX or a used MS P85D/P90D.

Why buy a diesel car?

My 42km of EV driving is the very same as 10% of a Niro's 420 km

That's interesting. I didn't know an Outlander could charge at 69.9kW on a 70kW charger or 50kW on a 50kW charger?

Ioniq peak charge rate is 70kW at 78% SOC. Still pulling above 22kW (Outlander's theoretical max) until 85%-88% depending on weather and battery temp. Of course, I was corrected by outlander owners here when I claimed it could charge at 22kW and was told the max was 17kW. In that case the Ioniq doesn't drop below that until 91-92% SOC and ends the charge at 94%.

Moral of the story for you is.... don't debate statistics, numbers, kW or percentages with a high functioning aspie like myself.

I saw an Outlander charge at a Tesla supercharger at well over 150kW. Tried my Ioniq, but couldn't get a connection.

• Advertisement

Every one is correct,

I made a few mistakes,
    KCross wrote: »
    I was basing it off Bjorn's test. Started at 61kW @ 12% SoC.
    It was upto 80% SoC in 20mins and had tapered to 50kW.
    Down to 22kW @ 85% SoC.

its 22 kw @ 85% ,

Yes its pretty vindictive also to do that, and I would probably not put my money where my mouth is. I like my money.

Still will not stop the bitching,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Still will not stop the bitching,

I'm sure you could, if you try really hard. :p

Considering he has a magic outlander that can charge at 22kW, he could do anything. Except stop being a pest. :cool::cool:

Good one, made me laugh.

Have you moved house yet? Elm?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Considering he has a magic outlander that can charge at 22kW, he could do anything. Except stop being a pest. :cool::cool:

I rapid charged on the way to Rosslare at the weekend, and strangely it charged at 10.5 kwh. you said 22 kw before and any of the other 4 rapid chargers that I used with the exception of the 10.5 kw, all charged at 17 kw.

I rapid charged on the way to Rosslare at the weekend, and strangely it charged at 10.5 kwh. you said 22 kw before and any of the other 4 rapid chargers that I used with the exception of the 10.5 kw, all charged at 17 kw.

Which rapid was charging slowly?

kW. Not kw or kWh.

17kW is pathetic anyway. 16amp 3 phase AC would get nearly that!

And still, 17kW is not hit by an Ioniq like you claimed at 75% SOC, more like 90+

Good one, made me laugh.

Have you moved house yet? Elm?
    No. How would I have in the one day since I stated last that I hadnt

Do you live in a magical world of fast charging outlanders and one day conveyancing?:rolleyes:

Which rapid was charging slowly?

Amber/Centra service station, Rosslare road, Killinick, Wexford.

Is it a common occurrence, to have individual chargers charging at different rates?

Used it only 2 times and presumed it was battery temp or some other unknown.

I mentioned it, to keep Elm from having a mercury rising incident, he could have seen an outlander charging at 22 :p,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

liam7831 wrote: »
    Oh dear dunno why anyone would torture themselves with one of these before any proper infrastructure is built.

My thoughts exactly. Takes me about 2 mins to fill my car to the gills with Diesel. Electric cars can fro

• Advertisement

Amber/Centra service station, Rosslare road, Killinick, Wexford.

Is it a common occurrence, to have individual chargers charging at different rates?

Used it only 2 times and presumed it was battery temp or some other unknown.

I mentioned it, to keep Elm from having a mercury rising incident, he could have seen an outlander charging at 22 :p,

There are 2 rapids on that road, a couple of kms apart. The one closer to Wexford has been the more reliable of the 2. Although they are both new, the Killinick one has suffered from out of contact issues, which seem to have been resolved lately.

kW. Not kw or kWh.

And still, 17kW is not hit by an Ioniq like you claimed at 75% SOC, more like 90+

Suits me for now, I changed from diesel 4 years ago, 1 year in a honda insight, little on the cheap plastic side, then a lexus ct much nicer inside and slightly better mpg, to an outlander better quality plastics from the 90's.

No way would I go back to a Diesel.

Made a mistake on 17 kw @ 75% SOC it should have been 85% SOC , was quoting some one else from memory, and using your 22 kw figure for the outlander at 85% SOC, would translate into hogging by some standards here.

I again apologise for the 17 kw @ 75% SOC mistake, but I have not got your head for figures, suppose I am just a normal pest.

kW. Not kw or kWh.

It might be pathetic but its better than my L30. I rapid charged this morning and intermittently checked the rate of charge on Leafspy. At 70% SOC it was charging at 40KW, at 75% - 31KW, at 80% - 21KW, at 85% - 13KW!!, at 90% - 7KW!!

I realise I will be called out for hogging but I want to make clear no EV driver was harmed during this research project!!!

It might be pathetic but its better than my L30. I rapid charged this morning and intermittently checked the rate of charge on Leafspy. At 70% SOC it was charging at 40KW, at 75% - 31KW, at 80% - 21KW, at 85% - 13KW!!, at 90% - 7KW!!

I realise I will be called out for hogging but I want to make clear no EV driver was harmed during this research project!!!

Its only going to get worse, any one know the number of new/ 2nd hand imports registered in this country?

Even when chargers are delivering 350 KW you will have slower charging cars sucking away and model 3 or model S owners complaining they have to wait.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's pretty easily addressed, have a range of chargers available all charging different per minute rates.

Norways market works that way.

Really not too bad as long as you don't charge over about 75%

I believe L30 is better than any other Leaf (L24, L40, L62)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

unkel wrote: »

24 was poor. We'd get 45kw for a couple of minutes, then 32 and then it'd taper off down to as low as I was willing to wait for.

The only time I got a good pull was when the ambient temperature was in the mid to high 20s, which was very rare.

unkel wrote: »

Yup

lol that is better than my L24 when I had it. I saw single digits at 78% SOC sometimes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and the L30 battery pack is amazingly rock solid with regard to degradation, so there's a reason for that software throttling

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

lol that is better than my L24 when I had it. I saw single digits at 78% SOC sometimes.

Cold battery ? i did nearly 600km last Sun/Mon in my L24 and i was still pulling 7kw @ 93% when i charged at Coynes Cross on the way home.

Was held up on the way down at Gorey for almost an hour as it was busy. An L40 just left and a L24/30 was just ahead of me. While i was waiting for the DC a Zoe pulled in followed by an eGolf had a chat with both owners. I charge for 28min and then let the golf in. As i was leaving an L40 turned up and plugged into the AC :rolleyes:

I only came across 1 other hogger and that was in the aforementioned charger in Wexford, a kona was there 30+min so i went to the Amber one for a 30min charge and the Kona was still on charge on my way back. Noticed a lot of BEVs in Wexford actually. I used fast chargers 4 times and 3 non ESB SCP [ESB ones were kaput]

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Cold battery ? i did nearly 600km last Sun/Mon in my L24 and i was still pulling 7kw @ 93% when i charged at Coynes Cross on the way home.

Was held up on the way down at Gorey for almost an hour as it was busy. An L40 just left and a L24/30 was just ahead of me. While i was waiting for the DC a Zoe pulled in followed by an eGolf had a chat with both owners. I charge for 28min and then let the golf in. As i was leaving an L40 turned up and plugged into the AC :rolleyes:

I only came across 1 other hogger and that was in the aforementioned charger in Wexford, a kona was there 30+min so i went to the Amber one for a 30min charge and the Kona was still on charge on my way back. Noticed a lot of BEVs in Wexford actually. I used fast chargers 4 times and 3 non ESB SCP [ESB ones were kaput]

Cold ambient temperature.
    Conversely I did a long trip in summer and was getting really fast speeds (and rising temps right above the red bar)

PS: I know that route well, I'm up and down from meath via dublin to enniscorthy/ferns a few times a quarter. Used to be a pain in the L24 but the Ioniq could make it without charging in summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

jeaYsDB.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Kramer wrote: »
    jeaYsDB.jpg

? It's charging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's also probably only drawing a trickle on a charger that the Zoe could get a fast charge on.

Plus depending on whether that charger allows AC+DC charging simultaneously or not, it could be taking the 2 50kw chargers out of use while it draws 5kw.

So whilst it's allowed, it's likely a piss poor use of the resource.

The rapid charger in Derry suffered a similar issue for a while. An idiot in a Zoe used to ditch the car on the AC connection and sod off for 4+ hours. Although the charger is supposed to allow dual charging, it usually wouldn't. Meaning CCS and Chademo were out of action for hours at a time, 4 times a week.

• Advertisement

tedpan wrote: »
    ? It's charging

It sure was :D.

DrPhilG wrote:
    So whilst it's allowed, it's likely a piss poor use of the resource.

I agree with you there and think Phevs shouldn't be allowed to use the fast chargers at all. But at least there's a spot for a Leaf etc. It looks to be the same as the blanch charger, so technically someone could be on the chademo.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Plus depending on whether that charger allows AC+DC charging simultaneously or not

It does.
    I agree with you there and think Phevs shouldn't be allowed to use the fast chargers at all.

Impossible to police. And charging etiquette hasn't really been working since about the start of last year. The only solution here is charging for charging (and of course a better network)

I agree with you there and think Phevs shouldn't be allowed to use the fast chargers at all. But at least there's a spot for a Leaf etc. It looks to be the same as the blanch charger, so technically someone could be on the chademo.

All PHEV, do you include the i3 rex in that ?

All PHEV, do you include the i3 rex in that ?

It was only my view as I've often had to wait on PHEVs on longer journeys..

If you want I can include your i3 Rex on my list of banned in my head list of cars not allowed to charge at fast charge points. :D

• Advertisement

It was only my view as I've often had to wait on PHEVs on longer journeys..

If you want I can include your i3 Rex on my list of banned in my head list of cars not allowed to charge at fast charge points. :D

Fair play for saying it, but my opinion would say that a PHEV with 3 Kw charging and tiny battery is a different story to PHEV with much larger battery and 50 KW charging...... which is faster than Gen 1 Leaf !!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Kramer wrote: »
    jeaYsDB.jpg

Fair play he's availing of a free charge like everyone else can't see a thing wrong

Free charging really is the only thing that is wrong there.

This was a great thread back in the day. But is it still a thing?

Hogging, not ICE'ing. Hogging by fellow BEV/PHEV drivers.

I've come cross it a few times recently (DC chargers) & there was a discussion about people using destination charge points at hotels here recently too, although I don't consider that hogging myself.

Have you seen much hogging? Is it still a problem given the proliferance of DC chargers these days (😝).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

In ROI, pretty rare I'd say.

In NI, combined with the piss poor network it's driving back to diesel at an increasing rate.

Yeah, I have to agree. The last time we took the EV to Belfast it was pretty dire. I'll take our PHEV instead next time (& we've taken our Model 3 SR+ to the Algarve & back, so not afraid of long journeys in an EV!).

The Tesla SuC in Belfast will help some anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It is, I come across EV's waiting for a Rapid in the EV spot and blocking my use of AC (I can charge at 23kW so worth my while)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This thread and the posts in it are the main reason (as well as financial being fully honest about it) a fully electric car is about 3-5 years away for my own house hold - despite a second hand one making sense on so many levels.

The increase in the number of EV's around has been great - no doubt but there doesn't appear to have been a similiar increase in the number of publicilly accessible chargepoints (in the locality I am familiar with)

What I have seen is the existing points getting very busy and people needed to queue for them on occassion. Not ideal in many circumstances.

Unfortunately the way I have seen people behave of late in general - there are a hell of a lot more ignorand people out there which wont help with issues outlined here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Not exactly hogging but I've seen a fair few phevs using the AC on DC chargers

It tends to be mercedes and BMW ones which need a good 3-4 hours to charge

I just don't get the logic behind it, surely living off a granny cable is easier. Maybe a top up during lunch, but I would think that AC chargers are generally in nicer locations to eat a sandwich

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

can you charge at home?

public charging is nothing like it used to be. I’ve never seen a que at any charger in Dublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement