Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

lol. I give up on this kip. Just let everyone drive f*cking everywhere and let the motor lobby influence everything until it's one big gridlocked mess, it seems to be what the people want.

Brilliant, delighted honestly, I was hoping they would do this

Why am I so happy?

Well Sandyford has already thrown a spanner in the works for local councils all over the country and this, if it succeeds will make things worse. The more of these challenges that keep happening, the more likely we are to see stronger legislation to allow for the rollout of these types of facilities into the future.

Covid has spurred things on, we are only at the beginning of this.....its a marathon. These are bumps in the cycle lane only, long term there is going to be a mass rollout of these as the councils are out of options in terms of throughput capacity. They either go through now under current legislation, or it gets beefed up, either way these pieces of infrastructure can only be delayed, not killed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wish I had your optimism but the odds of the current government bringing in any sort of legislation or regulation in regards to planning permission seems like something that will never happen, and they'll just continue to plod along with the current system of allowing everyone and their dog to object to stuff regardless of their reasoning and drag it out for years to the point that the costs keep running and the project gets scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Probably reading too much into it, but I'm intrigued by the mention of "trialling to succeed" here:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

whatever about a Councillors and TDs for the area, a senator has no business meddling in local infrastructure plans. If they're from the area, raise their objections through the normal channels like everyone else, but Ward is abusing his position while stealing a living in the seanad and making a t!t of himself on Virgin media defending the party.

Mary hanafin too. Sure know how to make them out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I can't see much changing locally by January, but obviously Mr Burns didn't want to push it too far and be hamstrung by a Sec 140 with otherwise inevitable defeat in the Courts due to the Strand Road precedent. He played a bit of chicken and lost badly there.

In any case, it's good to see common sense prevail for the time being.

The place is going to be a car park anyway. Kids need safe routes to get to school by active means. What in this is common sense for the greater good?

Maintaining economic links and two-way bus routes locally and for the wider district following a period of unprecedented challenge to local businesses and community life.

That greater good. That common sense.

It's the same lazy, bullshit arguments. Quiet roads being disturbed, businesses that don't rely on the traffic being 2 way whatsoever being disturbed, the cemetary is a new one too.

4 of the business on the road are car dealerships so we know which way they are going to think. A few takeaways had issues with it too.

Cars and fast food for all, lets keep on keeping on with the obesity crises too and shove active travel into a box.

• Advertisement

Your so-called bullshit arguments are also called local democracy.

If you stopped dismissing and demonising people who are seeing proposals for their local communities that will turn them upside down and started engaging with them, maybe you'd see more progress.

We can probably all agree, however, that it's past time to put these active travel and larger scale cycling schemes on a statutory footing and demand a higher standard for the planning, design and consultation on them. The Strand Road appeal has no basis for success, in my opinion, so Eamon Ryan's time would be far better spent addressing the consequences of the original judgement legislatively, now, than hosting love-ins with unelected officials seeking higher office about flippin' cargo bikes.

It's party politics. FF and FG teaming up to push something down the line that had overwhelming support in the public consultations, and only after the fact yet again enough influential people like Ward got absolutely pissy about it.

This is not local democracy. This is nod and a wink and don't worry, we'll sort that out so you don't have to worry about it.

And as soon as people stop electing them, you'll have it all your own way I'm sure.

I don't think you get it at all. Party politics is local democracy. People saying no are just as entitled to representation as people saying yes. And that's exactly my point about these consultations, cycling advocacy groups putting out social media calls for people from anywhere to make submissions on these local issues, it simply has no credibility. The Councillors and the Council officials have sat down with people locally and what they are seeing and hearing in person does not reflect the outcome of online consultations, because the latter are bogus. That's what brought about what happened tonight and its why these things need a statutory foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Stunning victory for Big Pizza. Screw yer kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,384 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The "Local support" should be only one consideration in these schemes, given the much wider impact on active travel and the greater good. Deansgrange is the commuting route to the City Centre from North Wicklow, the area's around it such as Cabinteely/ Foxrock/ Cornelscourt/ Loughlinstown. It's completely ridiculous they have a veto on these schemes.

Ah yes, the greater good, refrain of the Bolos and the Comintern.

All very well until the Council or the LDA or the TII wants to build that 20 storey block or that halting site next to your home in the name of the greater good and your legitimate input gets pushed aside.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm local and there's plenty of support for it, particularly among people like me who commute by bike and have kids who would use the route. Not dismissing many reasonable people who have legitimate concerns about access and traffic displacement. But the key word people are missing here is 'Trial'.

If the Trial doesn't work the world then DLRCOCO can look at other ideas. This is being framed as a piece of permanent infra by the naysayers.

As Cllr Shay Brennan (Fianna Fáil) said: “Further consultation is a cop-out. We can have much more info in 6 months if we began the live trial now! We must get more serious about this, we need a solid, safe and direct cycling network. The alternative is an unusable network of local compromises and further car-clogged roads.”

Halting sites are not for the greater good of anybody. You're grasping and making the absolute shittest analogies here.

The rabble rousing seems to be there was no consultation, yet there was a very public one that anyone could contribute too

This is the same excuse used by elsewhere. They weren't consulted, they didn't know until ground was broken...blah blah. Yet the very people who like to claim they're not informed or not in the loop seem to be able get the ear of councillors more than any one else.

It's as if they're lying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,384 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yours is a false comparison, but it happens all time. Hence we have CPO's for road schemes, rail, (hopefully) bus connects.

I didn't say "no say", I said they should have "no veto", which is what some residents seem to have achieved here and on Strand Road.

I submitted on my county development plan, I've submitted on the N11 "upgrades", I submitted on various infrastructure proposals that have gone to Public Consultation that would impact on me. I don't expect my view to rank any higher than anyone elses, but the opposite also holds true. Residents view should be a consideration, but only one consideration (even assuming unanimity amongst locals, which there clearly isn't in Deansgrange or Strand Road).

I go back to my regular refrain so, Eamon Ryan needs to act on Carville and Flynn v DCC and put these schemes on a statutory footing to a higher standard of planning, design and consultation.

If not, we are destined to have all these proposals stuck in limbo indefinitely. DCCs appeal of the above judgement has no basis in law for success, so let's face reality and get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Speaking of Carville & Flynn...

Members of the STC – Serpentine Ave, Tritonville and Claremont Roads – Residents Group have examined the need for a cycling path and they have come up with what they hope will be a solution – putting the cycleway on top of planned coastal defences.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Through traffic isn't prevented on Convent Road, it uses Lees Lane to circulate back to Patrick Street.

I thought the guy who proposed the plan might know this.

Thats real ambition and real forward thinking.

Do it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That plan has been around for ages. It was never built. It was last proposed a few years ago with the Merrion Gates bypass and was roundly rejected by local opposition groups. Without a solution for Merrion Gates, this "new" plan is just a sub-standard version of the old plan that makes cyclists share space with cars near Merrion Gates.

And that's before you even think about the hoops that will have to be jumped through to build a boardwalk on the protected Dublin Bay SAC site between Sean Moore Park and the promenade.

Dangerous and unrealistic rubbish printed on a shiny brochure.

Is this your idea of ambition?

And is this your idea of forward thinking? 20 years of planning with no results?

We've all always known that the ultimate solution here would be sustainable provision mixed with inevitable flood protection measures, exactly it is has been in Clontarf.

Time to assign the resources to the big picture solutions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what constitutes 'shared space'? the diagram above shows a car alongside a bike in a lane 3000mm wide. if the car is 2000mm wide, and the cyclist's shoulders are 500mm wide, that leaves a 50mm gap between them if they're both scraping up against the outside of the available lane.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Most people would just call it a road with no cycle lane. If you're trying to sell horseshit so you can keep driving around the place unobstructed, it's a "shared bike/car lane".

They got to a difficult bit and compromised on the only thing they were willing to compromise on in the entire "plan": safety of people on bikes.

We did assign resources to big picture solutions. There was a plan to build a safe segregated cycle route and keep two way car traffic. In 2016. I thought it was overengineered but, unlike this shite from the current opposers, it would have at least kept everyone safe. It was strongly opposed by Sandymount residents and shelved indefinitely. If they hadn't opposed it and if it had received planning permission, we would be building it now.

This is all old news. Stop pretending like this a brilliant new plan.

Out of curiosity, how long do you think it will take to fully design this "solution" and get planning permission? EIA and everything.

• Advertisement

Flynn and Jane's Geoghan are supporting the STC yet have both been very much and vey clearly shown by the electorate that they are not exactly wanted in the GE.

Both Pembroke a d South inner city were overwhelmingly in favour of the green candidates who supported the proposals which also tells a story.

Local democracy in action though

Advertisement