Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people back into car park spaces.

• 09-09-2021 1:03pm

To me it seems like 20 times more work when you can just swing in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If its just enough room for your car it wont work unless you back in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It is safer to do it. I'd be worried at someone in control of a vehicle who doesn't realise that.

Plus it is only more work if you can't drive. Again, I'd have a bit of concern about a driver who struggles to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Because in most instances, it's far easier to park your car straight between the lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

if done properly its only twice the work.... swing out then swing in

Makes it easier to drive out then. especially if left and right are blocked you can see it better driving out as you are closer to the road and not looking over your shoulder etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Its easier to drive back out. A transit van or 4x4 could park next to you while you are shopping or whatever and restrict your view while you are trying to reverse out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭notAMember

So you don't reverse blindly into oncoming traffic coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Because it's a lot easier to see what's coming when you are exiting a parking space nose first. You're a lot more likely to have someone slam into you when you're reversing OUT of a parking space as you would have a much harder time seeing them.

IF you swing in, you have to back out. Which is easier, to back in to a space where the three spaces surrounding your parking space are static and not moving, or to back out into an area where there is moving traffic? Obviously the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

If it's a standard, straight parking space it's fine to reverse in if that's what you wish.

What melts my head is when people muck about trying to reverse into a 'chevron' style car parking space (ie Liffey Valley). These are specifically designed to 'drive in/reverse out'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

in my job it's compulsory, makes the carpark look symmetrical , it's also the optimum parking method, swingin in without correction can leave you crooked sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I usually use Brown Thomas car park as it’s handily located for me to get to but for my favorite shops too..although it can be tight it’s easier to reverse into a space at 3 pm then to try to reverse out of one at 5.30pm with everyone trying to get out of there, you have cars, pedestrians getting to cars.... all behind you....get a space with two free ones beside each other reverse in drive straight out, piss easy and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

Because it's easier. You use your mirrors to reverse and can see exactly where both sides of your car are heading at the same time.

Next time you come to an awkward narrow spot OP try both ways and you'll see for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Either way is fine usually.

What doesn't make any sense whatsoever is reversing into a parking spot in a supermarket car park where there are 2 rows of spaces joined together. Surely you need to use the boot if you get a trolley, why not make it easy and have the boot poking out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Because I prefer not to roll over small children who play near my parking space when pulling out

Might just be me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Safety of other people. You drive up, you can see any people/ obstacles/ hazards, reverse in with full knowledge. When leaving, you then have as clear a vision of what is coming either side when you're there (e.g. somebody barreling around the car park to just swing into a space). Exactly the same reasons you should reverse into a driveway - assuming you can't turn off road.

Some companies insist on it, to the degree you could lose your access to the car park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would have thought the answer was obvious to anyone with a driving licence. People not reversing into their driveways is a bug bear of mine as they blindly reverse out where they can hit small kids running, scooting or cycling.

Just poor driving not to reverse in imo

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Its easier to reverse in to a spot if you are any way competent as a driver & it's safer pulling out straight

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

I frequently encounter cars reversing out of driveways, etc, just as I'm about to walk behind them. Each time it could be avoided if they'd just peek around the back, before getting in their car, to see if anyone's approaching. I think it reveals a lot about someone that they're not highly uncomfortable reversing blind into space where there is a high likelihood of there being a vulnerable pedestrian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

Post edited by Tork on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Can't understand why it's still not part of the test to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's only more work for crappy drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

If its 20 times more work for you, maybe having a drivers license is not your thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Agreed. They can be tough to get out of the wheel arches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

Anyone mention "it looks better" yet

If it's 20 times more difficult to reverse into a parking space, it's surely 40 times more difficult to reverse out of a parking space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've visited many an industrial setting in the U.K. where reverse parking was compulsory.

The idea being that at the beginning of your day/shift, you are fresher and more alert, whereas at the end of your working day/shift, you might not be as attentive as you were 8-9-10-12 hours previously. You also get a good view of the area around the space when you approach it, to see if anybody/anything is in the way, as you reverse in immediately when you arrive on scene.

When leaving the space, you might spend 10-60 seconds or longer after getting in the car before you actually start moving, and anything could have appeared on scene in that time to cause an obstruction etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I suppose it's not a million miles from a reverse around a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

In the vast majority of situations, its not that difficult or dangerous to reverse out of a space so I don't really see the benefit of reversing into it, especially when it takes so much longer and you're making other drivers wait.

• Advertisement

But you also have to make drivers wait when you pull back out of your space. Unless somebody is a rubbish driver, reversing into a parking space doesn't take very long at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's easier, safer and makes entering back out in to traffic safer and easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That 5-10 seconds of life they'll never get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Reversing out is a lot quicker as you're reversing in a straight line. It's not the same as reversing in where the person is turning and making adjustments. It takes some people several attempts to get in.

What sort of car do you drive and what sort of car parks do you park in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's handier alright if you forget, or don't care, that there might be other road/carpark users.

Reversing into a space is easier, quicker and neater than driving into it. You'd need more adjustments to get the car straight when driving in if you can't do it when reversing in

• Advertisement

I disagree, your just wasting other people's time.

Whenever I see someone backing in I just think there a knob.

You must think that a lot on any given day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

So you'll reverse out in a straight line and hold up both sides of the road while you get into gear and drive off. In vastly reduced visibility, with a lot more hazards than when reversing into a space. Right so!👌

Funny. When I see someone driving into a carparking space I think 'there's a knob who can't drive!'

• Advertisement

No you just reverse out, much simpler. If you can't reverse your car out of a parking spot safely using your mirrors, you shouldn't be on the road.

Mirrors are the basics of a driving test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Do you disagree that it's safer to pull out of a parking space when you can see in what's front of you and to your right and left than it is reversing out?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

And, given the example of a nice big van parking on either side of you in the interim, how do you set your mirrors to see out? Does your car have some form of periscope attachment? Perhaps a red flag and fireworks deploy from your boot? Reversing in is unquestionably safer. As we're in After Hours, and not Motors, I'm going to assume this is a piss take.

On the contrary, I'd be more of the opinion that if you can't reverse your car into a parking space or driveway, you shouldn't be on the road.

In some instances (eg driveway onto a main road) it's actually illegal to reverse out, not that you'd ever guess.

I'm a good driver and am always aware of my surroundings like other drivers should be.

In this day and age with wide-angle reverse cameras, as well as vehicle and pedestrian detection being more and more standard kit, it's really not all that relevant to a lot of people.

If you've an older car, without a camera system and sensors, fair enough.

The way things are going, most minor bumps and bangs will be eliminated entirely by sensors. It's very difficult to accidentally bump into anything in a car with those systems in place. It's even quite difficult to have a minor collision in many of them, unless you really go out of your way to drive into something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I do it so some little child thats lower than the boot doesnt get quashed when im backing out.

They can move from the back of one parked car to the back of yours at lightning speed in a car park.

Even when you can't see them? That's some skill!

I think some people here need to resit there driving test!

• Advertisement
Advertisement