Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭ablelocks

heads up - amazon.co.uk sale ends tonight

amazon.fr is the 6th

amazon.es/.it is the 7th

.de didn't have one, which is unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Customs charges are levied against the value of the goods, not the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Amazon.de sale started today - until the 14th Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 15,237 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

edit: wrong thread..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

An interesting Amazon anecdote.

I ordered a pack of screen protectors in early August for about £7, with 48 hour delivery. They didn't arrive, so when I got the notification saying they were late, I got onto customer service chancing my arm for some promo credit. No luck there, but the rep cancelled the delivery for me as I was going to be away for the next few days, then reordering when I got back.

Here is the odd bit, I got an email today to say that they had received my return, even though I never actually had it delivered, so it took 3 weeks to navigate Amazon's own network. I then got an email shortly after that saying that I had been issued with a £9 postage refund! So free money from Jeff for me, happy days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Tweeted today, he asked if there would be an .ie website for Amazon, they wouldn't say...

This is supposed to be operational from March 2022, wonder if stuff that can no longer ship from UK since brexit will become available again?.

Tweeted today, he asked if there would be an .ie website for Amazon, they wouldn't say...

I sure hope not, prices would go up.

I'd be more interested to see if some restricted items like food and power banks will now ship to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭J2CVC

Exactly, prices would definitely go up which is why I never understand people calling for a .ie version. If you use Hagglezon or similar to compare prices on different Amazons you'll see the UK is usually the cheapest. We're benefitting from that big time with free shipping thrown in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The advantage of a .ie site, would be that you know everything listed there actually ships to Ireland, compared to the current mess on the .co.uk where you click on an item only to find that it won't ship here and then you spend ages searching for one that will. It can be very frustrating sometimes.

I'd assume if they do a .ie, you will still be able to buy from .co.uk, as you can from their .de, etc. sites at the moment. Likely it will even continue to use the same delivery infrastructure, drivers, etc. I notice buying from .de doesn't mean it always comes from Germany, often it still comes from UK warehouse. I suspect that will continue with the Irish warehouse, no matter which site you order from, they will devlier from the closest warehouse, either Irish, UK, etc. Amazon seem to get this part right and don't seem to put too many artificaial barriers between different regions.

The question would be more what would happen with the current free delivery from the UK. Ideally Prime would continue to cover deliveries from the UK site, along with .ie, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Either way I hope this warehouse means items like batteries, food, etc. that won't deliver from UK will become available.

• Advertisement

The question would be more what would happen with the current free delivery from the UK. Ideally Prime would continue to cover deliveries from the UK site, along with .ie, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Of course it won't, that would make an .ie site almost redundant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am solely wanting this to open for the confectionary (Lindt chocolate that is a lot cheaper than here but can no longer be shipped here).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Might finally be able to get Li-ion replacement batteries without remortgaging the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Just be careful what you wish for. I was using a European Amazon site for a while and they definitely had less products available than the UK site. Knowing they will ship every product is small consolation in my eyes.

And yes we should still be able to purchase from UK but not with Prime and there would be a shipping fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Kildare outlets. Lindt shop there is much cheaper than shop prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Thanks, more power tool batteries I was thinking of. I'm not sure if you can make them up out of 18650s.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Just be careful what you wish for. I was using a European Amazon site for a while and they definitely had less products available than the UK site. Knowing they will ship every product is small consolation in my eyes."

Entire massive categories of products have stopped shipping to Ireland from .co.uk since Brexit!

Take Vitamins, it is almost impossible to buy any vitamins from .co.uk, Vit D, Vit C, etc. or any sort of medicine, all won't shop from .co.uk. Though ironically you can still easily get them from amazon.de

Coffee beans or any type of food or drink, won't ship from .co.uk since Brexit, but again will ship from .de

Any sort of battery or battery type product (powerbanks, etc.) won't ship from either uk or de.

Brexit has been a disaster in terms of getting many product categories from the UK. I still have my .co.uk prime account, but these days I buy almost as much from .de as .co.uk simply because they aren't available on .co.uk. Brexit has already greatly limited the range of products available to us from .co.uk. Whats the point of being able to see a product on .co.uk to only find it won't ship here!

I don't want to see a .ie limiting our choice or raising prices, but I do hope the warehouse will make all the above product categories available again with free delivery.

For those of us who are geeks and bargain hunters, we don't mind trying to work out sterling to euro conversion or searching multiple products to find one that will actually ship here and understand how the price increases at final checkout and not to worry about import duties, etc.

But I'd say the recent Brexit stuff has put a lot of ordinary Irish people off shopping at .co.uk, worrying about import duties, etc. and being frustrated by non shipping items. I can see a .ie being extremely popular with the general public, a site where everything you see can be ordered and the price you see in Euro is the price you pay.

In an ideal world, I wish a prime account worked across both .co.uk and all the European prime sites, .de, etc. You'd have the best of both worlds then. .ie for those who just wanted simplicity, .co.uk, etc. for us bargain hunters.

In contrast, 95% of the stuff I buy from Amazon UK is still available to buy post-Brexit. I rarely used it for food and I don't buy power banks on a weekly basis.

I would rather .ie never exists and we continue to use .co.uk as prices will be cheaper, and I hope that the new fulfilment centre means I can start ordering that missing 5% again.

There's no doubt that an Irish Amazon would be popular. It's the 'geeks and bargain hunters' who would miss the UK version we have now. But we'll see what happens.

You seem to be extremely reliant on Amazon. Food stuffs and vitamins can be got elsewhere and we have some great Irish retailers than need supporting.

There are restrictions on shipping batteries by air so that's not an Amazon or Brexit issue. Amazon used to be a bit more lax but they were taken to court by the Civil Aviation Authority in 2016 and fined.

• Advertisement

"In contrast, 95% of the stuff I buy from Amazon UK is still available to buy post-Brexit. I rarely used it for food and I don't buy power banks on a weekly basis."

What do you buy from .co.uk that you can't find on .de.? I also buy a lot of electronics, etc. off amazon, but haven't found much of a real difference in availability between .co.uk and .de

Also I'd point out that I've found many items to actually be cheaper on .de then .co.uk. Got the missus a Galaxy Active watch as an example, was €60 cheaper on .de then UK. Just looking their now, an Ipad Air on co.uk is €648, while the same one on .de is just €559, €90 cheaper! Actually a real bargain there.

Obviously we don't know if such pricing will translate to .ie, but I really don't find .co.uk to be at all cheaper since Brexit, things seem to be creeping up their quiet quickly, lots less deals, etc. worth shopping around the other amazon sites.

"You seem to be extremely reliant on Amazon. Food stuffs and vitamins can be got elsewhere and we have some great Irish retailers than need supporting."

Well I don't do grocery shopping there as such, but speciality coffee beans were much cheaper then shopping for the same locally. As for vitamins, local prices are insane, I can get 6 months or more worth of vitamins for the price of just 1 month here. Vits are terribly overpriced in Ireland.

And if you have a prime account, why wouldn't you take advantage of lower prices?

"There are restrictions on shipping batteries by air so that's not an Amazon or Brexit issue. Amazon used to be a bit more lax but they were taken to court by the Civil Aviation Authority in 2016 and fined."

Yep I know, though you would think they would just ground ship batteries products, even if it took a few days extra. Hopefully a local warehouse will allow them to start selling those again.

What do you buy from .co.uk that you can't find on .de.?

Almost everything I can buy from Amazon UK I can also buy from Amazon DE, but 99% of the time it's cheaper from Amazon UK. Your watch is the 1% exception, which is why HUKD is filled primarily with deals from Amazon UK and only occasionally with deals from Amazon DE.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

In addition to higher prices the .ie site would most likely offer a vastly limited range of products, so thanks, but no thanks.

I think we're all on the same page - hopefully the new warehouse means an increase in products we can purchase from Amazon UK rather than a smaller Amazon IE.

It wasn't just the watch, I picked up many other great deals over the past 6 months from de that were cheaper. It makes sense that hkud would have more UK deals then German deals, given it is a UK focused site, but that doesn't mean it is always cheaper. Here are just a couple of examples of some top products I've looked up:

• iPad Air - €568 .de versus €631 uk
    • iPhone 12 - €733 .de versus €815.82 uk
    • OnePlus 8T - €475 .de versus €623.08 uk
    • Galaxy watch 4 - €302 de versus €323.04 uk
    • Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pro - €83 de versus €96 uk
    • Sony WF-1000XM4 - €285 de versus €299 uk
    • Sony Alpha 7M3 - €1891.5 de versus €2,023.51

And these are just some examples that I picked off the top of my head that I happen to be interested in at the moment.

Always well worth checking de and the other amazon sites. Brexit and the cost of sterling has made .co.uk a lot less atractive.

Finding seven deals over a period of 6 months does not negate my point that 99% of items are cheaper on Amazon UK than on Amazon DE, especially since most items on Amazon are not in that price range and therefore the Amazon DE delivery charge plays a huge factor.

The majority of the items I have bought in the last 6 months are toiletries, toys, home accessories and clothing, almost all of which would be cheaper on Amazon UK than either Amazon DE or Amazon IE.

And even within only the technology section, most items will be cheaper on Amazon UK, including the laptop that I bought. And that's not even with the consideration that it comes with the correct keyboard layout and the correct plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^

True - Unless you are after a phone, watch or tablet each week, which most aren't...

I buy a lot of small items via Amazon (with Prime) and find the UK site much cheaper for most things my family needs compared to Amazon DE (plus add in the delivery charge from Germany and it's even more).

Errr... 6 months! These are prices I looked up right now, currently available today at those very significant price differences. Actually some bargains there for he Bargain alerts form :)

And I didn't cherry pick results, I just thought of some products that I thought would be commonly interesting and they were all cheaper on de right now. 7/7 I thought of looking up, not a single item was cheaper on UK.

Sure, some very cheap items like toiletries, cheap toys, etc. will tend to favour .co.uk, due to the free shipping on uk, versus having to pay €7 or €8 for shipping on .de I find the same myself and mostly use prime from UK for those type of cheaper items. I generally find anyting under say about €100 works out cheaper from uk, over €100 de is cheaper.

Of course I'd assume a .ie will have free shipping, so we might find it tipping in favour of an Irish site then again.

BTW Yes on the laptops having UK layout keyboard, I actually also looked up the price of a Macbook Air and it was almost €100 cheaper on de, but I didn't include it in the list as I remembered the keyboard issue, so not a fair comparison.

Overall, I wouldn't be so pessimistic about a .ie site and warehouse. I doubt it will have less products then the .co.uk, in fact I suspect it will have more as it will likely bring back the various missing categories (food, battery items, etc) and I also wouldn't be so certain that it will be more expensive then .co.uk

Errr... 6 months! These are prices I looked up right now, currently available today at those very significant price differences. Actually some bargains there for he Bargain alerts form :)

Which, again, does not negate the point that I made. Have a look on the Amazon section of HUKD, what percentage of the first few pages of these deals are cheaper for us to buy on Amazon DE compared to Amazon UK?

As you made the point about more UK people using HUKD, you can even use mydealz if you like. What percentage of the first few pages of these deals are cheaper for us to buy on Amazon DE compared to Amazon UK?

Of course I'd assume a .ie will have free shipping, so we might find it tipping in favour of an Irish site then again.

I also wouldn't be so certain that it will be more expensive then .co.uk

Compared to Amazon IE, Amazon UK would be cheaper for cheap items and Amazon UK/DE would be cheaper for the majority of expensive items. Therefore, overall, there is no benefit price-wise to an Amazon IE for the Irish consumer. The overwhelming majority of the cheap items that most people buy will be more expensive and most of the dear items will also be more expensive. Amazon IE would only have to compete price wise to local Irish stores, i.e. it won't have to do much at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That is the Amazon UK link, it will only show deals from Amazon.co.uk. .de link is https://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/amazon.de Definitely not as many deals but you have to take into account Amazon.de will charge shipping whereas Amazon.co.uk won't. Also, less people on HUKD would be browsing Amazon.de so you are less likely to get .de deals posted there.

Advertisement