Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

According to one of the articles in the excerpts you've put up he seems to have identified him as Sophie's ex Bruno who has documents and eye witnesses to prove he was at home in France. It also says the gardai looked into Maurice Sweeney's claims and eliminated the person he suggested.

It seems absolutely unbelievable that a B&B owner would not contact gardai about a dodgy French guy leaving without paying a few hours after a French woman was murdered in the area.

It seems absolutely unbelievable that a B&B owner would not contact gardai about a dodgy French guy leaving without paying a few hours after a French woman was murdered in the area.

Which would be exactly why he wanted to get it sorted and paid before they reported it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The facts according to what the facts are presented.. that's generally how justice proceeds. There's a fierce amount of speculation thrown about here and elsewhere about this or that relating to the case. A court hearing would at least sort out the wheat from the chaff and bring some clarity as to how things stand or don't stand.

That's what makes it even more unbelievable to me. It seems extremely unlikely that this French guy asked a travel agent in Galway about a B&B somewhere in West Cork and the travel agent a few hundred kilometers away was able to pinpoint the exact B&B he was asking about. So if he was looking for numbers there would be several B&Bs getting calls from a Frenchman the day the murder was discovered asking if he had stayed there and left without paying. Given all the house to house enquiries and massive media coverage, none of these B&Bs mentioned a bizarre call from a french person asking if they stayed with them the night before?

Even if the man in Galway knew exactly which B&B he stayed in in Cork, the B&B owner still had this strange situation where a frenchman left without paying and then somehow got the money to them after disappearing. I really can't see the B&B owner brushing this off and telling no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

such a fundamental aspect of the investigation really something you'd think the Gards could have established at the time

maybe they did of course, but it fell out of the evidence book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

I think this is extremely unlikely. If Bailey knew her then it's highly implausible that nobody in town knew that he knew her - and it's even more unlikely that he wouldn't have told the world that he knew her and its even more unlikely again that she wouldn't have featured somewhere in his arduous journals

Post edited by drumm23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

Maurice Sweeney also seems like he's 100% telling the truth though, Sophie had also used his travel agents before so she was a customer of his. It does hint at the person being Bruno, Maurice Sweeney could have perhaps ID'd him wrongly considering the amount of time that would have passed before seeing the photo.

Whether it was Bruno or not, I think its highly likely that Maurice Sweeney is telling the truth that a French man turned up a few hours after the murder looking for flights and also asked about B&Bs in West Cork.

Not sure how it would be possible to research B&Bs from that time frame in West Cork, perhaps through an old phone book. Also with the amount of time that has passed there's a strong possibility many B&B owners have passed away, considering they tend to be older people who run and own them.

You would hope that the guards contacted every B&B owner to inquire, but considering they didn't deal with Maurice Sweeney for a long time that might be unlikely and at very least a lot of time was lost. It would be unforgivable if they didn't inquire at all.

Maybe he just told Maurice Sweeney that he needed to contact them because he left without paying. If this man did just turn up hours after committing a murder its highly unlikely he would be telling the absolute truth.

Maybe he rang and threatened the B&B owners or bought their silence. Again just theorising.

Sadly I don't think Maurice Sweeney has ever specified if the man made the phone call in front of him or used a phone privately or called from a phone box.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Absolutely and even more so because what I'm positing between her and Bailey is a brief acquaintance, maybe a low-level flirtation.

If such a person could be clearly identified and shown to have possibly been in Ireland at the relevant time he would jump to the top of the list of suspects IMO.

Yes but thankfully Irish courts wouldn't try a man for murder with little evidence so the good people of boards.ie can get closure

• Advertisement

The possibilities are endless. When I read the account though, I can almost hear the voices of Bill and Ted behind me going 'No WAY!' at each turn:

Sophie used this particular travel agent in Galway, even though her house was in West Cork and it was at least three years since she bought it.

By chance, the suspect for her murder also happened to use the same travel agent the day after the murder, even though he too had been hundreds of kilometres away in West Cork and wanted to go to Dublin to get a flight.

This guy may have been a friend of Sophie's and might have known Sophie's favourite travel agent so thought this was the best place to go while on the run from justice.

The French guy stayed at a B&B and left without paying but the B&B contacted no one about the dodgy Frenchman who ripped them off/rang to send a cheque in the post after sneaking off.

But what if it was his only place to run? It was a 3 or 4 hour drive I think to Galway, i'd imagine its better than going into a travel agents in West Cork just after a murder of a French woman?

Perhaps he booked through Maurice Sweeney on the way over? Maybe through Sophies recommendation?

Do you think Maurice Sweeney is lying or?

Is Maurice Sweeney still alive does anyone know?

It would have been great if he featured in one of the documentaries, I can't find anything about him dying. He would be 77 now if articles are correct with his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

I hadn't known that Marie Farrell had at some point named the passenger in her car that night.

The married mother of five had named John Reilly, a man from Longford - who she said has since passed away in England - as the person with whom she was with in a car at Kealfada Bridge on the night of December 22nd, 1996.

I wonder if the details she provided had been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Just like the 'facts' in the Guilford Four, Birmingham Six, Maguire Seven cases or a little closer to home in this case, Patrick Dils, thirteen people in the Outreau case or Marc Machin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Longford guy... a Detective said he went there on her wild goose chase only to find out he was dead.

I'm not sure if there was someone in the car with MF that night, or even if she was in the spot where she said she was, but I'd be pretty certain she wasn't there with this scapegoat.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

https://twitter.com/VirginMedia_TV/status/1435966229290766351?s=19

Ian Bailey interview on Virgin Media next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

Conveniently he was dead at the time she mentioned his name so he couldnt confirm it. There was no records found of John Reilly being in Schull just before christmas 1996. It seems this is more of MF's lies. Lets face it she was probably at home in bed with her husband that night.

Was he interviewed or spoken with by the couple who did the West Cork podcast? I remember reading or hearing that he had had dealings with Sophie while she was looking for a home in Connemara but can't find any reference to it now.

It's 4 hours now with the M20 and M18 motorways that weren't there in 1996. I think he probably did have someone in his office that day, was he French? Was he Dutch maybe or Belgian?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

TELL IS WHO DID IT IAN!!!

And if it's you, this time we're counting it as a confession if it's on national TV.

Other thoughts... How did VM let him on air dressed like that? It's offensive to the eyes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

He was, but he doesn't speak himself on the podcast.

He said a man came in hours after sophies body was discovered. He never took his details but the man was 'frazzled'. He asked a question about West Cork and looked for recommendations for a hotel near the Airport.

It doesn't mention what Airport, but I think I've read before Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Sophie used this particular travel agent in Galway, even though her house was in West Cork and it was at least three years since she bought it.

Sophie had stayed with friends in Galway several times before she bought the house in West Cork.

She and her friends had used Sweeney to book their tickets several times.

Much has been discussed of the German man in West Cork who committed suicide, but on the West Cork podcast there was mention of a man from Marseille who lived in West Cork and also committed months after the murder.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/film-director-is-key-sophie-du-plantier-witness-say-french-authorities-30242064.html

However, in a second police statement, which has not previously been published, Mr Carbonnet described an "odd meeting" between Ms du Plantier and a "man from Marseilles" in Schull.

Mr Carbonnet recalled: "One day, when on a visit to west Cork, we went to a restaurant in Goleen . . . There was a Frenchman at the neighbouring table and somebody called him the man from Marseilles. I cannot remember his name." He said he had a Marseilles accent and was a "Mediterranean type", with an athletic body and between 40 to 50 years of age.

He was dressed "like a gentleman farmer", he said.

"He came over to our table and introduced himself. He talked to us and asked where Sophie lived. When she told him he said he had tried to buy the same house. He asked me was I a hunting man and I said no."

He then said to Carbonnet: "But you're interested in women?"

According to Carbonnet, Sophie didn't like this remark. The man from Marseilles went on to talk about fishing and good bathing spots, and Sophie tried to find out where his house was.

"The meeting was odd," concluded Carbonnet.

A fisherman, originally from Marseilles, but who lived in West Cork, took his own life three months after Ms du Plantier's murder. It is understood that this man did not feature as a suspect in the garda's original investigation file.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/gardai-given-name-frenchman-seen-24409179

"Gardai have been given the name of a Frenchman reportedly seen with Sophie Toscan du Plantier on the afternoon before her murder.

Detectives are to check out whether he secretly stayed with the French TV producer at her Schull home .

The man is in his fifties and currently lives in Paris. He is known to Sophie’s late husband Daniel and also some members of the extended family.

He was allegedly spotted by Marie Farrell standing outside her shop wearing a long dark coat in the west Cork village on the last day she was seen alive while Sophie bought a copy of the French Le Monde newspaper inside."

I wonder has Jim Sheridan gone to Maurice Sweeney with the same photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

Well two things would happen. Either she would remain inside and there would be a strong possibilty of the call to the gardai, or else she would come outside and confront the person. I'm of the belief the murder happened in the morning so the percieved security of it being bright out or partially bright would have played a part. Also considering what kind of person those closest to her have decribed her as there is a fair liklihood that should would have laced her boots up and came outside. Then the person could have backed down the driveway towards the gate which might have enticed Sophie to follow thinking she was gaining the upper hand due to the person fleeing. It's just a theory of course, no evidence of it, but it would explain how the boots were on, how she was down at the gate and why she was enticed out of the house. As i said previously it may even account for the wine bottle if she carried it with her as a weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

That last part confirms for me that Alfie was not as frail as portrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭chooseusername

A 5 bar tubular steel gate ,well hung as this one appears to be, would be easy to open even for a petite person like Sophie

Post edited by chooseusername on

Certainly not looking at all well hung there, appears to be tied on with rope. Such gates can be painful to open/close if you need to lift and drag across uneven ground.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I know that it was reported that no useful forensic evidence was found at the time either on the body or gates or elsewhere. Was there any evidence of an attempt at a clean up i.e. use of bleach or absence of any fingerprints on used articles/surfaces?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement