Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

A few photo's from St. Patrick's, the new course up at Rosapenna in Donegal. Played it on Tuesday, off the whites (They didn't have the slate (black) tees out, and I wasn't brave enough to face the sandstone (gold) tees ), the weather wasn't the best, pretty constant ~20km wind, with some rain squalls but nothing too heavy, typical Donegal summer weather :D . Absolutely loved the course and the layout, for a new course it sits really well into the land (probably as there was already courses here before). Loved the routing, lots of really strong holes, loved the huge undulating greens which merged into the aprons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭blue note

Thanks again for that. I really enjoyed the course. I struck it very well which helped.

It was an odd scratch cup though in that it was a stableford comp.

It's a great course though. I'd still have narin & portnoo as the best I've played, but this was probably my second favourite. The par 3s are lovely, par 5 4th probably my favourite hole. Had I known that one you go over an edge you could run down to the green I might have taken a club more with my second, but it's a good thing I didn't know that!

The one thing though about every time I play a links course other than corballis, is that they are always so much more forgiving. If you go into the rough, you'll probably find your ball. And have a good chance of having a decent lie. And if you miss a green, unless you miss it badly or on the wrong side, you'll have a good chance of an up and down. It's so much more pleasant playing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Have you played Carner/Enniscrone? The rough on them is very unforgiving compared to Baltray. You need to hit a very bad shot in Baltray to not find your ball i found. where as in Carne/Enniscrone you could be 5 yards off the fairway on some holes and bye bye ball. Portstewart front nine very unforgiving to i thought.

I haven't played them. I'm not sure I'd like them now that you say that!

The other big ones I've played are Portmarnock links, portsalon, narin & portnoo. And they were all very forgiving. Both in terms of missing fairways and missing greens. I'm not sure I enjoy the courses where if you go off line your ball is probably gone. It's not too bad when it's definitely gone, because you won't spend time looking for it. So if I hit the ball into a lake, that's fair enough. What annoys me is when I just miss a fairway or a green and the ball is likely gone, or even if I find it barely playable. With water the danger is clear and probably just on one side of the hole. But with that sort of thick rough, any time you don't hit a fairway or a green you can potentially be facing a disaster of a hole. The punishment just doesn't match the crime for me.

Now I don't mind that occasionally. It balances out against those times where you hit such a bad shot that you miss the danger. For example slicing a drive onto another fairway. It just wears you down when it's every little miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I played the new St Patrick's in July. Can only say it's going to shake up Ireland's Top 10 because it is a beauty.

My review is on the Examiner website: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/arid-40369799.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I read it yesterday, great read, very exciting to hear this new course is Grade A. I visited Rosapena last year and it blew me away. It's becoming our St. Andrews/Bandon Dunes and I can't wait to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

all thats left for Donegal courses to do to attract the yanks is to make all the green fees over 200 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Hopefully not! Prices were gradually creeping up until Covid kept our American cousins away. I’d say they’re currently sensible.

i’ve heard a few people mention that St Patrick’s is “too easy”. I’m putting this down to a more-benign-than-usual summer.

While a few of our group did shoot their lights out, conditions were nigh on perfect. A handful similarly shot their lights out on a bright, wind free Portsalon the day previous, too. And do you know what - such wonderful respite it was too, after a windy Sandy Hills battered us all into submission on the Friday. St Patrick’s wide fairways give us all a chance, and those who could find the right position on the fairway, a real chance.

Encountering a scoreable day on a big links has to be one of life’s greatest pleasures. Why people want beaten up by golf, I’ll never understand!

With the Tom Doak and Gil Hanse names on two Donegal courses the Americans will come. Thousands of them.

And since when did the €100 minimum green fee to attract the Americans become €200? I must have missed the memo about inflation😉

Not sure I'd agree with 'too easy'. It's certainly generous (rough included, unless you're way off line) off the tee but those greens will cause plenty of problems if you're approaching from the wrong spot.

But I do agree that there's nothing more enjoyable than a benign day and scoring well.

Had you played Sandy Hills before? It's been softened a lot in the past couple of years.

• Advertisement

Comment was tongue in cheek

That said there is a mentality with American visitors that cost is directly related to quality. We know that's not true but there are many examples anecdotaly of courses boosting the price and seeing an increase in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

yeh exactly - same can go for many things to be honest. Good marketing can make what some would see as a high price seem like good value to others. Easy to do with golf courses but Irish courses are beyond bad at it

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

European Club Open Fourballs in September. €80PP

Tuesdays & Thursdays

You need to fill a whole slot but Pat said just find something that resembles a human and you can have it so pretty sure you'd be ok to just play a fourball with non GUI Members. Doesn't sound like they are nearly filling the days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I highly doubt the Yanks will do Donegal, Rosses is about as far as they will travel from the SouthWest and they won't make it over any further West than Portstewart from the North.

There's just too many other named courses for them to fit Donegal in, both in terms of time and travel

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

How far back did you go for the par 3? Unremarkable from the lower tees at the front alright.

But as you head back up the dune it gets better and better both in terms of releasing the views and in terms of no longer being a flick of a wedge. I'd recommend heading back a tee or two if playing from the greens, far better hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thanks, the tees were quite far forward alright.

you underestimate the power of good marketing. A bit of joined up thinking up there, putting money in the right place and the tourists will absolutely come because the quality is there

I’d played Sandy Hills 3 times before on unusually calm days… and I found the back 9 pretty scoreable. In fact the scoring on the first outing, about 10 years ago, from our very hungover / still drunk group on a 9am tee time was unusually good.

this time around there was a crosswind that jumped between testing and savage.

A completely different game.

That said, it’s still a couple of ranks below RCD and The European in terms of difficulty/cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Playing Strandhill for first time next week ... any thoughts or advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Played St Patrick's last weekend. Wow. What a gorgeous course. Great fun. Thoroughly enjoyable. Likely to be in the Irish top ten in a few years. Greens still a bit hairy and turf not quite bedded in in a few spots, but great to play. Mind blowing views as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Meant to check in and let you know how this trip went.

3 absolutely serious golf courses it must be said. We were blessed with the weather...each day was 20 degrees, sun shining and minimal wind for links golf.

Started out at Royal Birkdale and the welcome from the staff couldn't have been better. Everyone very friendly and very informative of the course and area. No issues with wearing shorts/trainers in and around the clubhouse. Standing on the 10th tee i was -1 gross and literally hadn't put a foot wrong but the back 9 beat me up bad. Ended up shooting +8 gross, would have bit your hand off at the start for that but was disappointing after such a good front 9. Had a couple of pints and food after on the deck overlooking the 18th green. Absolutely splendid.

Day 2 was Royal Liverpool and much the same as Birkdale the welcome was superb, brilliant old clubhouse too that you could spend a fair while looking about. This was a serious test of golf to the point where it was quite unenjoyable at times. After about 4/5 holes my partner and i decided that todays only aim would be to break 90. Finished par-par to shoot 89 so that was some small crumb of satisfaction but all in a mighty difficult course and probably the least favourite of the 3.

Final day was Royal Lytham & St Annes. While Birkdale and Hoylakes welcome was superb the same couldnt be said for Lytham. Only allowed to dine before hand if you had trousers (it was 22 degrees) and no starter on the first tee to welcome us, poor enough show for £200+ worth. The course though is quite simply a beauty. Playing towards the traditional old clubhouse on 18 as the sun was setting will be a visual that i won't forget.

3 superb links courses and a great trip however i'd have to say none of them are a patch on Royal Portrush or Royal County Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

You don't mind me asking how much it cost for each round?

Birkdale £250

Hoylake £220

Lytham £230

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

It is...but worth every penny for the 3 days of golf we had.

Would i do it again? Probably not now that i have played those courses. But certainly for the likes of St Andrews/Turnberry/Carnoustie etc i would.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Value is relative, if you want to play courses you gotta cough up

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

That's true. You can keep an eye out and pay most of them in Ireland for a reduced rate with opens or gui rates or the like. But if someone comes to Ireland to play golf, their choices are to play the top courses and pay full whack for them. Or to play the second / 3rd tier courses and pay 50 / 60 quid a pop.

The second option isn't bad. You'd be playing the likes of the courses on the boards society outings. But if I went to a foreign country, I'd probably stump up the €200 or whatever.

It turns out the experts were right all along.

Reviisted Baltray today in a Golf Digest event, some 9 years since my only previous time playing it.

On that occasion if truth be told I was underwhelmed. My expectations of a top 10 course were maybe too high, but more than likely were mostly misguided. At that time of my life I was fascinated with steep and undulating links. I suppose I just didn’t understand!

In the same way that in recent years, I’ve come to appreciate classic parklands over modern “championship” parklands, what it’s a strategic links is about all kind of came together for me today.

The course is absolutely immense. The ever changing direction/routing, which always keep you thinking. The constant requirement for a clear sight of the pin to have any idea what to do on approaches. The string of options that are then opened up by a good tee shot. The need for brute power off the tee, and the challenge to find a low ball flight. That petrifying feeling when you know your ball is being sucked into a runoff.

But most of all, it’s challenging, rewarding and completely fair golf. So much so that I’m now thinking that those things which are absent - exposed sea views and giant dunes - might tend to get in the way of such playability.

Still wouldn’t be sure about the 17th hole (last par 3). But the rest of it is top drawer. It has punched past the Island and Rosses Point, into my top 3, just behind Portrush and St Patrick’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well done thewobler, a true case if you stick around The Links Thread or a Links course long enough , you can be cured of previous ills. 😄

Baltray is a great great course and very playable. It is also a remarkably peaceful place.

The big sand dune courses are a spectacular experience, a fun day out. But they are too difficult and lack playability. I now consider them holiday courses. As it was put well to me recently, a roller coaster or less favourably , a cracked up crazy Irish golf course.

As time has gone on , I've developed an appreciation for the subtle aspect of the likes of Rosses point , Baltray , Portmarnock and whilst hard to admit , after years of my own Internal class batle , Royal Dublin makes remarkable use of what is effectively a sand Bank.

I must hit Rosslare soon again.

But perhaps it is age too, the big west coast courses are hard work.

On the thread , fair play everyone. There has been great information, images, deals and fun here. I noticed lately the we hit 200 K views. There are many people out there that Links is special to.

The escape, the view , the sound of the sea and that thump of ball or club into sand.

As we face winter , our covid golfers and sun kissed summer players retreat to hibernate. It is a special time for Links lovers . It is cold , cutting at times . But when you get that crisp day , a clear sky , there is nothing like it.

I used to laugh at the idea of year round golf.

I guess with age , you learn .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

All

i have friends coming over from US early May (mid life crisis road trip (for them i think)). We are going from Dublin (playing in Dublin), then north, then to Donegal then to Sligo.

Is there any links special then ? we want to play the big ones. At least Donegal is never daft . Want to bring them north / north west as they have been to West.

Trying to save them from daft rack rates.

Any ideas welcome. Pass , way to save money . And can they play in an Open ?

I'm playing all Links (except 1 day of a break to ease the experience)

Advertisement