Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I'm the only one in my house that has a season ticket and there is four of us. So it certainly eases the stress but ive never taken that one for granted!!! We've always managed to get tickets along the way but i guess the tickets just aren't there this year

Mayo GAA sold corporate packages of 10 tickets for €5900. I think its fair that they are in an impossible situation but when they chose to go that route to make money rather than looking after loyal fans be it season ticket or clubs i think its ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sugarman20

The missus will have clients at the game and they won't even know who's playing. Some kick in the balls that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

May have slipped under the radar but McCarthy got a one match ban for his elbow on DOC. Small wasn't punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Does anyone know what the total amount of tickets was and how did they advertise this opportunity (if they actually did)?

I don't believe they advertised it. One of my friends had spoken to Mayo GAA about it through twitter but we couldn't bring ourselves to do it. Not a notion how many they were selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

it was quoted in 2 mayo news articles that "corporate" ticket packages were available to purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Small really displayed a nasty streak in the semi final. Every time a Mayo player went near him he had a fist or elbow up , eg on DOC. There's playing on the edge and there's a dangerous nasty streak that could seriously injure someone and he falls into the latter category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Small plays on the edge, I didn't comment at the time but I felt he was entitled to go for the McLaughlin hit, he mistimed it and should have gone. The real issue with that hit was Conor Lane and nobody else, Scully even flagged it to him, it was a disgrace

We're mighty in Mayo at getting offended when it happens to us, not so great when its our lads, see the hit below from Boyler, we all loved it, 10 times worse than what Small did. Comer's shoulder is in a different postcode. People and glass houses, we call it commitment when it our lad, nasty streak when its someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

small lined him up and took him out simple as.its not the first time he has done it either.

He Was getting beat to everything and had to sort eoghan out.

Not sure I can blame the county board for selling the corporate packages. Zero gate receipts for over a year while the county has had two runs to the final, albeit with shortened seasons. Thats a lot of cheese out the door to fund the team and no gate, no season ticket money back and I'd imagine sponsorship hard to come by

What do you make of Boylers hit above?

Or Cunniffes v Tyrone? Tyrone were very sore about that

My point is we need to stop crying about things like this like we're Mother Theresa

On the tickets, I'm still very confident that tickets will come up Saturday morning, they always do. Less people have travelled home from abroad from what I can see, less people will travel on spec. We're short four in our house, I think they'll show up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Do you think I give a flying fuc1k about tyrone.i hope durcan does the same on sat to what boyler did.

He hit him hard with his shoulder at speed there was only ever going to be one out come for comer after it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I "like" how they leave it 3 days before the final to dish out the suspensions... or not if Smalle deserved one. It is to provoke a reaction from the Mayo camp or take the focus off the game like what is happening in the last few posts.

Funnier how the indo has a piece on Jim Gavins 2016 player choice again a few days out from the AI final. Sun and Indo are no different in reality. Pure rags.

Did you notice at the semi final - the only foul play that was replayed on the big screen was Basquel's black, literally went blank for everything else. Talk about trying to influence the ref

I agree we are bad at not acknowledging out own teams failings or darkside antics. But both of your examples were shoulder to shoulder challenges, Small and McLaughlins were shoulder to jaw.

However, I also wouldn't blame Small for going for it, but Lane was the one that was really at fault to allow play to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Croker isn't meant to show any replays though, so its "odd" *cough cough*. Its still always facinating, in any game involving the home team men and I see from Sundays game ladies, that they always win the toss of the coin to warm up in front of the hill, are the 2nd team out at the start of the game and 2nd team out at the start of the 2nd half. Their luck is amazing to be able to hit that every single time that coin is tossed.

Anyway, anyone got rescue remedy, I think I'm gonna spontaneously combust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The clip you posted shows Boyle going shoulder to shoulder. Genuinely confused why you posted it or why it was even considered a foul. I'm all for removing the running from distance shoulder on a static player receiving the ball, and in fact it would be against the rules in professional rugby as it would be a no hands tackle.

But as it stands that was shoulder to shoulder.

It wasn't a shoulder to the jaw, or an elbow to the jaw or a punch to the jaw. or an elbow to the throat. Like I said there's a difference between playing on the edge and deliberately trying to hurt someone outside the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He wasn't long backing down from Keegan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

You can take me off the list Yop :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Nice one!

Ya jammy fecker!

I must have every cousin, every former college mate, every former business acquaintance/customer text at this stage.

Even people I don't like!

Its not always a joy. In the '16 replay finally got my hands on my ticket 25 minutes to KO. By the time I made it from Quinns to the upper Cusack I was stressed to the max, to be met with the sight of Robbie jogging back to the goal line for kick-off. Having spent the day trying to organise how to meet a complete stranger who had my ticket I had no clue that the switch was a foot. Even though I always had a soft spot for Hennelly, at that moment it was like the straw that broke the camels back.

'17, ticket sorted on the Wednesday, apart from the result I really enjoyed that game without the Sunday ticket stress.

• Advertisement

List after KM dropped off.

fowler87

Crybabygeeks

PDiddy

Extra Gravy

blockfighter

Irishgeo

sebastian dangerfield

muddle84

BandMember

Raoul

Blackjack

happyoutscan

paddb1975

mayo.mick

mrs gilhooley

SomethingElse

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Not even close to Comers shoulder lads, take off the red and green glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Best to leave the past in the past and that includes any suspensions that McCarthy and Small got or didn't get.

Point of order on the Boyle/Comer shoulder - AFAIR Boyle received a yellow card for that challenge, play was stopped to deal with Comer (who was able to continue on playing after) and Galway got a free from that incident. Quite significantly different to how the Small/McLaughlin incident was dealt with by the officials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'll take Km79's place on the list Yop, if that's ok.

Doesn't look good. All contacts have come back negative so far.

Question - Anyone have any idea of where to go or what best to do in order to be in with a chance of picking up a ticket around Croke Park on SAturday?

Any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Beagslife

Firstly, I really hope that Mayo can finally get over the line this year. This saga has been going on much too long for neutrals, so God only knows how the real Mayo fans feel. No better chance, I think. A good solid squad with real heart and desire and facing a Tyrone that are no world beaters but will pose a stiff challenge none the less.

My immediate worry after the Dublin win was the 'that was the game to win' complex. Like our performance against Kerry in the AI after beating Dublin in 2014. But I think the extra weeks have put that to bed. Beating the Dubs isn't really being mentioned any more, as should be the case.

Finally, to the many real Mayo fans out there still without a ticket here's another perspective, particularly if you're even a bit superstitious. You have been to all those finals down through the years and never got to take Sam home. So, by breaking the cycle and not attending you may well turn out to be the real heroes who finally turned the tide!

So, enjoy the game wherever you end up watching it from. Stay safe.

😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Boyles hit was not in the face, it was not exactly shoulder on shoulder but he didn't take the head. Cunniffe hit was shoulder on shoulder - this was totally fair. Nobody is crying about the tackle. The problem is it was a sending off as it was a dangerous hit and Lane make a bollox of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Tom's was as shoulder to shoulder as you can get, a great tackle.

Colm's got Comer under the shoulder, it was still more into the side, the ribs though. A definite free but the player's reactions always give a good reflection, there was no Galwayman up in arms.

Small's was milliseconds away from being another great hit, but the main and obvious difference is that he made contact with the head. At the time I didn't think it was red but the general "duty of care" argument convinced me otherwise. It was red, but as I say, milliseconds away from being a great shoulder.

The main thing wrong was Lane's neglect in not stopping the game immediately, an embarrassment.

As for Mayo fans whinging, I think the internet is a place that amplifies such talk. There has been a vocal crowd from Dublin that have been whinging at all things Mayo, all through their dominance for instance... which I found bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

After the 2006 SF it was decided that Dublin get the Hill to warm up in.

This is like most things in Irish society a bit of a fudge.

The way it's administered is that the dressing rooms are allocated in alphabetical order, with the one closest to the Hill being assigned to the team first alphabetically, and that team then warming up in front of the Hill.

So Ath Claith is usually first alphabetically so they get that dressing room, and the Hill.

For extra credit can anyone tell us when it was the case that Dublin did not get the Hill to warm up post 2006 ?

As for coming out second I don't know how true that is.

If you recall the 2016 final Dublin came out and Mayo burst out right behind them, that's because Dublin were late coming out and wanted Mayo to delay their coming out on the field also, Mayo said no and ran out at their allotted time, right after Dublin.

It really set the tone for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I believe last year in the Semi Final Dublin had to give over their usual dressing room to An Cabhán. Don't know if they've ever had to give it up to An Mhí, An Lú or An Iarmhí in Leinster games and I don't recall them playing Aontroim, Árd Mhacha, or An Clár at any stage in the last 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Non football query, anyone know what the crack is getting a pint in Croke Park hotel after the game? They werent letting anyone in day of the Dublin game. Have a pass for official car park behind there but they wont open it until an hour after the game so if we lose dont fancy hanging around the car for an hour with 3 equally depressed mates, if we win not a single **** will be given, probably still in CP after an hour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Hope ye’ve a hotel booked as backup cos they’re a fortune! In case the car is left parked in croke park hotel car park !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I called them, they weren't closed specifically for the match, they told me they were closed for August and possibly September (cant remember for sure) for renovations.

Edit: Just called again and theyre open, but only residents allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

My hope of a ticket(s) seem to have gone unfortunately, will make a few last minute calls but looks like TV at home as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

You can knock me off as well please.

The vaguest ever "sure if I hear of anything I'll let you know..." came good.

Not sure where its for yet as it's currently being swapped around at home in Mayo.

Reading feel for those still waiting, but don't give up just yet. The hunt-like that for Sam-is never over until its over.

Glad I didn't trim my fingernails!

To win just once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

From a hardcore group of about 10 of us who go to everything we had 3 tickets between us this morning,now we have 9.A few had given up and were in a bad way.

Keep the faith and good luck to all waiting to get sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

If ye don't want to make the tough decision of leaving just one person out I'd be willing to take a ticket off ye, just to make it easier that there's two left behind of course :D

A lot of tickets are making their way into the rights hands this evening. I didnt think it would happen ! Best of luck to everyone still waiting. Ye will get one

I can finally ask now.....Where is everyone going before? Out around Croker is a waste of time now. Assume they wont be serving in stadium either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo GAA Boardsies on tour.

I'm heading up damn early as the traffic was bad enough for the semi final.

Gates open at 14.30.

TBH I'm going to head in quite early.I love to take in the pre match atmosphere especially on All Ireland final day.Match programme ordered.I'll purchase a spare on match day.

It's so damn special.

Binging on all the podcasts.Can't get enough.

Mayo News,The GAA hour lads are super,Andy and Paddy,OTB,Second Captains.

Oisin and Paul Flynn sparring lol.

Can't believe how out of the loop I am in my home town!

Just heard today Diarmuid is working in my alma mater St. Gerald's College.

I don't believe it can overstated the importance of having the vast majority of the panel employed/domiciled in Mayo.

The Covid 19 pandemic was hugely beneficial from that pov and I know from conversations the emphasis Mayo GAA have placed on retaining our elite players within the county.

Getting more anxious as match day. Very difficult to get a proper read on the 2 teams based on the 2 crazy semi finals.

I find it so hard to call and be too confident because of our past record.

Le cunamh De.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I always use The Arlington Hotel on the quays if I already have a ticket sorted. Still toying with the idea of Fagans, we walked straight inside after the Dublin game without a bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

There is a very small amount of tickets going to clubs tomorrow. Senior clubs getting 7, Intermediate clubs 5 and Junior clubs 4.

Not a lot but better than nothing.

This will be the 2nd allocation to clubs this week.

Advertisement