Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Championship 2021 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,754 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Intent isn't a factor in game, but it is at the citing hearing.

It's a terrible call. Whatever about not banning him, overturning the red is crazy. How can you not be reckless when you've made contact with someone face with your studs!? Its like saying that a driver who looked away from the road and ended up hitting someone who "encroached on their driving space" isn't reckless. Of course it is. Its utter madness. And now gives the green light to players raising their feet and using their studs in the same way. Player welfare my backside.

I've no interest in going down the "NZ always get away with this stuff" malarkey. I think what this shows is a fundamental attitude difference within the Southern Hemisphere generally on these things. Adam Hastings got 3 weeks for the very same thing. The "games gone soft" brigade I'm sure are only too delighted.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,485 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i agree with both of your points above.

however i dont think that can be expanded to "all accidents cant be considered reckless"... because they clearly referred to the "accidental nature of the incident" so they specified it.

there are certainly reckless incident which are clear red cards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Perhaps, but I don't think they have put their point across very well if that is the case. To me this is clearly reckless and I don't really see where they addressed why it isn't.

guess we'll have to wait for the exact wording of the decision.

just to clarify, in my opinion it was reckless enough for a red card, but its an example of where there is enough "grey area" to merit the 20 min red being a good rule change.

Fair, let's see what the actual report says. I think its just likely to highlight the growing disparity in how NH and SH view such incidents though. The committee seem to be saying that it wasn't just not a red card, but not even a penalty based on the reports!

The problem with the 20 min red card is the same rule applies to someone stamping on your head in a ruck...

• Advertisement

and for those who say this doesnt happening in the northern hemisphere

Ahsee Tuala from northampton was cited for a similar 'kick while catching' against worcester last december.

the citing was dismissed as:

“The panel accept that this was an accident.

"The player misjudged the flight of the ball, and, in our judgment, was doing no more than seeking to regain his balance.

sound familiar?

the advantage of the 20 min red is that the rest of the team suffers equally whether that stamp is in the 1st minute or the 59th.

the way it currently stands the time of the red card has a significantly unequal effect on the game ie not all red cards are equal.

for clarity, im 100% in favour of an increase in ban length (or a removal of most "reasons for reduction of ban length) when reds are given

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

This incident highlights the inconsistency across world rugby when it comes to citings and judiciaries. I guarantee that we will see a similar incident this season and the player will get a ban (like Hastings did) and fans will left asking how it was different to Barrett.

A player chasing another player could make a tackle from behind and get studs in the face. Red card?

I do agree with the difference between northern and southern hemisphere between the attitude towards a lot of these things. Most people I know in these parts would want multiple red cards dealt out every match. Personally, I think only the most blatant incidents should be red cards, and the rest should be decided by citing and a lengthy ban. Games are too often affected by debatable refereeing decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭irelandrover

My problem with this is no one else affected Barrett. His own actions led to him going studs first into another persons face. If he was hit in the air then there is clear mitigation.

• Advertisement

In your example above the person initiating the contact is the tackler. Barrett initiated it in this case though, so they are fundamentally different things.

And nobody wants multiple red cards in every game. Theres no need for that sort of hyperbole. Referees getting the blame for handing out reds is unfair and wholly misplaced. Players need to modify their behaviours so we don’t see red cards, not referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

If I was being facetious Podge I’d say Paul O’Connell agrees with you. But that would be stooping to Internet forum levels of bollocks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

When the only talking point in a nz v aus match is a red card for a team that still won handsomely at a canter, you know this rivalry is nonsense. Very little in international rugby outside 6 nations and the once in 4 years world cup still has any kind of spark. Club stuff is where it's at now, much more competitive.

Koroibete initiated the contact. He went in for the tackle. I wonder what would have happened if he had been a bit lower or 6 inches to the side and ended up under Barrett's leg. Chances are he would have been penalised.

I do get the feeling that NH refs are more willing th o hand out reds than SH refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Except he didn’t, he clearly stopped and didn’t initiate contact. Unless you regard moving towards a player and stopping as initiating contact. It’s strange how willing people are to ignore observable reality to try make a point.

If you want to get technical, he didn't come to a complete stop. He was still moving with momentum towards Barrett at the time of impact.

In any case, I'm not sure what lesson is supposed to be learnt by Barrett? If you slightly misjudge a kick and find yourself off balance in the air, you just have to see which way gravity takes you without using any reflexes to correct yourself? Let's not forget that a player in the air is one of the most vulnerable situations for a player on the pitch.

If you can't collect the ball without kicking someone in the face, then don't collect the ball. Barrett got his positioning wrong and it is entirely on him.

The motion of Barrett’s leg is not a corrective one for balance. That is a complete red herring argument. After he catches the ball he brings his leg up to be straight out in front of him. This is not a natural movement to create balance. Yes your leg might rise by about 15-20 degrees as a counterbalance. Bringing it up to a 90 degree angle is a conscious choice. His leg doesn’t start to rise till after he catches the ball at which point he isn’t leaning back. He put his leg out deliberately to prevent the possibility of a tackle in the air. In doing so he caught a player full in the face with his studs. There is no mitigation in that, it’s dangerous play. Even if he was trying to protect himself.

I'm not ignoring any observable reality. I'm just playing devils advocate. We have seen refs card players for basically taking the landing space of a player in the air. It could be argued that Koroibete was in Barrett's landing space. He wasn't competing for the ball.

Also I was pointing out the fine margins that could have seen a completely different outcome. It's one of the things about rugby that the difference between a red card to one player and a penalty and card for an opponent is a matter of inches and/or split seconds.

Just to be clear, I have no issue with the red card. I expected it as soon as I saw it. I don't think it should be a red but going by the letter of the law it is. I think the judiciary has made a mess of the whole thing.

Post edited by Yeah_Right on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

He's not even slightly in Barrett's landing space, unless you count the full length of an outstretched leg away as being in his landing space.

Agreed on the judiciary thing. Overturning the red card and declaring it not foul play was insane.

Come on man, that's crazy talk.

A player jumping for a kick knows that anyone tackling him in the air is going to get a minimum of a yellow card, and possibly a red, yet he still feels the need to stick out a leg?

If this is the Jordie Barrett self defence catching technique, I'm sure there are dozens of examples of him doing similar. Lucky he hasn't killed someone by now 🙄

The motion of Barrett’s leg is not a corrective one for balance. That is a complete red herring argument

that "red herring" has been a significant mitigation factor in 2 judiciary hearings so far.. so perhaps you might need to re-look at that opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭theVersatile

so take from that what you will.... still disproves the "red herring" aspect as finding balance was seen as a significant factor in 2 of the most recent cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ec18

one of the things about the incident, is that while Barrett deserved a red. There is some interpretation that could do with clearing up, i.e the aggressive chase or the whether the player landed or not. Currently the only requirement is that the player in the air has a stud on the ground. If it was tweaked slightly that the player must have two feet on the ground before being tackled then these incidents would disappear making it safer for both players involved

Try jumping and raising your leg to that angle. Regardless of any hearings, physics dictates it’s not a balancing act. Therefore it’s a red herring to say it’s for balancing.

Did those two hearings say that it was done for balance?

Does it matter if it was for balance or not? If a player tackles someone high because they lost their balance is it deemed to be any less of a high tackle? At the end of the day, if you are putting yourself in that position, be it as a tackler or jumping for the ball, you are responsible for the outcome of your actions. The balance excuse might mitigate things in terms of the citing sanction, but shouldn’t be a factor in terms of the card at all.

I’ve long been of the opinion that WR need to look at the whole player in the air thing anyway. The player in the air is at risk, but if we’re now also saying that anyone within full leg length distance is also at risk then we need to address that.

• Advertisement

Indeed. It is Barrett's fault, and his alone, that he had to lean back to take the ball and thus bring up his studs into someone's face. He always had the choice of simply not catching the ball and therefore not kicking someone in the face.

Advertisement