Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

WTF was Hart doing????

Not looking good now, wide open at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Criminal defending. Need two centre half’s and a left back before the window closes. Scales is not the answer. Starfelt is a total bombscare.

Shambles.

Hopefully we can nick another goal otherwise I fear we’re on our way out.

Starfelt & Welsh are awful, all over the place. Midfield non-existant too and passing all round has been brutal.

Will be a miracle if we can hold on here

Edouard has made a big difference since coming on.

Don't know how we hung on there but thankfully we did.

Still a lot of work to be done in the transfer market in the next few days, need a LB and CB as an absolute minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Who scouted Starfelt?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Great result. Delighted for Celtic and Ange, Scottish football needs all its teams performing in Europe. Pity about other teams. These qualifiers are a nightmare, you just want to get through them and get into group stages by hook or by crook. Performances are irrelevant in these early season games. Name in hat is all that matters!

• Advertisement

Scales has signed from Rovers, haven't seen enough of him to say if he's the answer to our LB or CB problems but could be inline for an appearance on Sunday if Taylor's out injured

Leverkusen, Betis and Fernencvaros in the Europa.

Reunion with Frimpong at Leverkusen and hopefully revenge on Ferencvaros for last years dumping from the Champions League.

Could have been a worse draw but still a few good tests there. Hopeful we can get out of that group.

Could've been worse and could've been a lot better. Some tough games but would hope we can pick up enough points to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

When is Jullien expected to be fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

I know AP has said it’s only August but the game tomorrow could be a real chance to lay down a marker for the season. No wins against the team playing out of Ibrox since the 1-0 League Cup Final win a while back I think? Anyway the three key areas for me are midfield, midfield and midfield. Break even there and we’re in with a shout. I can’t see it finishing scoreless, hoping for a Celtic win but would be happy to continue the steady progress under Ange with a 4-4 draw😃

• Advertisement

Yeah midfield is the key to these games and we'll have to be at our best tomorrow if we are to win. It'll be a big plus for us to have a keeper that can make saves compared to last season.

I'd go with Édouard up front and Kyogo on the left with Christie in the middle in place of Rogic.

Should be an exciting game either way

Today’s team: Hart, Ralston, Welsh, Starfelt, Juranovic, McGregor, Turnbull, Christie, Edouard, Kyogo, Abada

Subs:: Bain, Bitton, Ajeti, Soro, Rogic, Urhoghide, Montgomery

Big decision from Ange to start Juranovic at left full. It’s going to be fun.

Looking forward to this, worried about our back 5 being young and/or inexperienced in these games. Hope they'll avoid any rash challenges.

Hopefully we'll get a hold of midfield and give our forwards a chance to get at Rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

That is some miss

Decent possession but not doing enough with it, Christie hasn't really got involved enough and we need to try get Abada on the ball more. Shocking miss by Edouard.

I'd like to see Kyogo through the middle with Rogic replacing Édouard and Christie out left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

That's been coming. Celtic have been absolutely woeful this second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Chances from free kicks and corners wasted with poor deliveries, then they swing in a perfect delivery from a corner.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It was coming. Decent first half without producing much, awful second half.

Don't have any complaints about the result, we weren't good enough. Apart from McGregor we offered nothing in midfield and I'm done with Édouard.

Thought the back 4 were ok, Starfelt's best game for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Old Firm game and a total of 6 posts.

Soccer ending up in Groups has really killed this place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ayone that actually wants access back, can simply ask for it, as they have done. There are well over 6000 posters with access.

A few hundred posts in the liverpool thread yesterday disproves that.

Not completely disheartened by that today. We’ve come a long way under Ange already. We’re a work in progress and will improve as the season progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm sorry I know it's way off topic but what I have noticed Soccer is now nothing but club "Superthreads".

Because Soccer posts no longer appear on the Home page people like myself who have had access for years but don't follow any particular club rarely come in here to have a browse or start a new thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

But sure this is a Club Superthread??

The busiest threads currently are club threads, general premier league thread and the transfer thread. That is pretty much fairly normal I would think.

To find the Soccer section, it literally takes an extra click or two than before.

Anyway......

Hard luck lads. I thought it was a pretty even game, perhaps Rangers just edged it for their control of game in 2nd half. If you looked at possession stats, you’d say Celtic bossed the game, but as always, stats don’t tell the full story. I thought Odsonne was poor, miss aside, he wasn’t in the game at all. Furuhashi was far more involved in game and was unlucky with his chances. If you look at it, Celtic probably created two best chances of game. But you knew, with free kicks and corners mounting, that Rangers would create a decent chance and so it proved. I have to be honest and say as a neutral, Steven Davis, yet again, bossed the midfield in this fixture. Turnbull had another poor Old Firm derby, he couldn’t influence the game enough in midfield and ultimately this cost Celtic. Is McCarthy the man for this fixture to ultimately support McGregor against Davis and Kamara? I thought Ralston was outstanding and was probably Celtic’s best player. Compared where Celtic were in the last fixture at last season, when Rangers won the game without breaking a sweat, I thought things looked much much better for Celtic today. Finally, a shout out for the ref, I thought he was outstanding and handled the game very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

How is anyone in Ireland neutral for an Old Firm clash?

There are 1000s of people in Ireland who enjoy the spectacle of the Old Firm derby, but don’t have an allegiance either way. They just want to see a game full of action and incident. They are mostly fans of premier league teams. They genuinely don’t care who wins, provided their actual team wins. Equally, there are 1000s of people in Ireland who don’t really support Celtic but would always cheer for them in an Old Firm derby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

MOD: Posters are NOT required to explain or justify their choice to support a team or be neutral.

For info there is a more 'neutral' thread here for the Scottish Premiership for the more neutral 'musings' posters may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

That miss from Eddy is up there with the worst I've ever seen. His confidence is gone so low I doubt he will ever be the player he was again at any club.

When does Scottish transfer window SLAM shut?

Slams shut tomorrow at 11pm, looks like we're replacing Edouard with the greek striker who was top goal scorer in the Dutch league last year. That was a standout season for him with not much in the way of goals before that so not sure how he'll do. Also look to be adding Filipe Jota from Benfica who plays LW on loan, I don't know anything about him but we are short in that position.

I really think we need a bit of a presence in CM to help McGregor, don't see is getting anyone there with McCarthy in already but I'd be tempted to go for Ferguson from Aberdeen. Still short in CB and we're supposed to be looking at options there, can't see Julien getting back to form until Jan after missing so long out so we need someone to push Starfelt & Welsh.

Hoping Griffiths will be gone too, madness giving him an extension in the summer

Totally agree re. Griff. Get rid. Likewise Eddy. Looks like Christie may be signing a new contract.

I think a left winger is a must. Kyogo should not be getting shunted out there given how dangerous he is through the middle. A left full is still also required and possibly a centre half (maybe a loan signing before the window shuts tomorrow).

I have to say on reflection, I am still feeling positive about this season. We have progressed so well and will improve. As I posted before, I get the feeling we are in for a hell of a ride under Ange.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

100% agree. Disappointed we got beaten yesterday but still feel better with how we have improved under Ange, and there's a whole lot of season to go yet. Plenty more twists and turns to happen. Probably the least disappointed I've been after a defeat against them as I can see the improvements happening. I do think we'll have to win both home games against them though.

Edouard looked great during the week, but very poor yesterday. He's definitely looking for the next move, he has to go as we won't get the best out of him anyway if he stays. He's a MUCH better player than he has looked recently for Celtic overall.

Agree on Kyogo also, he's most potent right through the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Griffiths officially gone to Dundee on loan. Given he was on a one year extension that will be the last we see of Griffiths in a Celtic jersey I imagine and given how many chances he has blown makes sense. Good player who could have been so much more if he could have applied himself properly on a consistent basis.

Giakoumakis signs a 5 year deal and Edouard & Christie on their way out, I think we're still very short in some areas and although it's our 10th signing I don't think we've done enough to strengthen the squad although admittedly it was a huge task

• Advertisement

How do the bhoys feel about Christie and Edouard leaving? Two fantastic players I would feel, but perhaps haven’t always shown their best form for Celtic??? I did think Christie started the season very well and was on top form, even if he was poor on Sunday. Surprised that he has ended up at Bournemouth, no disrespect to them. I thought he could star at a higher level. What will their legacy be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Decent transfer window I think, all in all. The likes of Bayo, Shved, Hendry etc all gone, along with their wages off the bill. 12 new players in and £30m+ made on players who would have been free to sign for anyone else in January. You are never going to rebuild an entire squad in one window, but Ange has made a good fist of it. He's also on record as saying that he has a few he wants in the Asian market, but would be waiting until January to buy from there.

Not convinced it was a good transfer window myself, don't see how we're any stronger coming out of it than we were going in.

Seriously short in central midfield with Christie gone, short at LB too and LW.

It was a big ask to get everything done in 1 window and we haven't. We knew we had a massive rebuild to do this summer and we finish the window with a massive profit from sales. What's that about?!??

It’s a difficult one. Celtic have lost big big players in Ajer, Christie, Brown and Edouard. One could argue these four in particularly were the spine of the team. Will the players brought in prove themselves to be better than than these four? Only time will tell on this. It’s impossible to make this determination at this point. Clearly the goalkeeping situation has improved, which is an important part of the spine also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

CM we have Bitton, McCarthy, Soro, Turnbull, McGregor, Shaw. LB we've Taylor, Boli and Montgomery. We generally play 4-3-3, so wingers aren't that important. I still think we'll stroll the league

Only Celtic could sign 12 players in one window yet still weaken the squad and make a nice profit .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

As far as I know Bolingoli is still at Celtic.

Kyogo just went down unchallenged in Japan match and is subbed off. Doesn't look good

7 games he's out for

Feckin' hate international weeks! Just what we don't need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement