Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2021 Grade inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I did the lc in 2008 and I thought it was too easy then. It should be almost impossible to get an 'a' in a subject. Maximum points should be achieved by a dozen people per decade. Now you have kids competing over 5 points for a course, if the exams were more difficult we would get a clearer differentiation between students ability. The one thing I did find hard about the lc was the breadth of it. It was exhausting to cover 8 subjects in 2 weeks and some with multiple papers. Very stressful. Inflation/deflation is all irrelevant since the cao is supply and demand. It's the anonymity that makes the lc successful. I know some people underperform in the exam but others over perform compared to their class testing and that should be rewarded also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This really shows that our much maligned Leaving cert system is actually fairer than continuous assessment by teaches.

I'm saying that as a teacher, in the North, where coursework was available for years but marks are always inflated.

No teacher is going to disadvantage their own pupils unless they are absolutely sure all schools are working at the same level. That is difficult to achieve.

I know there is not equity in terms of preparation but the actual leaving cert itself is a fair subjective method of assessing 1000s of pupils to the same standard. That is imposible to achieve in class tests or teacher assessment.

The HPAT (UCAT in the UK) exams for entry to the UK are assessed like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

What possible reason could there be to make an A almost impossible, thereby reducing the number of pass grades with which to distinguish students?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Good work should be acknowledged. If a student deserves the A, they deserve the A. Simply downgrading to maintain “integrity” could be very disheartening too for the students.

It is far more meaningful to try and see where a person falls on the distribution curve relative to their peers. Grades will go up and down. But there will also be a normal distribution curve of results.

I think the same thing applies with the awarding of 1:1s in college. I know that in some professions, when you apply to a graduate programme, they look at ranking in the class, rather than the grade. For example, you may have somebody in the top 5% who has a 2:1 and somebody else who is in the bottom 50% with a 1:1. Centiles give a lot more information, in my humble opinion

• Advertisement

It should be easy to pass and extremely difficult to get an A. Currently you have very competitive courses where the difference between applicants is arbitrary. If the higher grades are more difficult then the differences won't be as arbitrary and the system will be fairer. I want someone to get into medicine for example because they successfully solved part c of the most difficult maths question rather than they only made two spelling mistakes in their English paper as opposed to their competitors three spelling mistakes. I have a maths bias but you can apply to any subject. The "part c" should be diabolical.

Is that not what the new system of H1, H2 etc is supposed to do. Enable more differentiation between pupils especially at the top end. I know in the UK the A* grade was introduced for that reason.

An A is really an arbitrary grade, it only has meaning when you consider what proportion of pupils are at that grade.

Ultimately pupils are competing with the other pupils in the cohort not the exam.

For that reason it is going to be very unfair for 2022 LC students (my daaughter is one) to be competing with 2021 pupils applying next year, assuming LC goes as normal this year and grades/points return to more normal levels.

I think maybe someone with 2021 points should have to achieve say 2022 point plus 5% to get on a course. This should mitigate against the grade inflation from this year.

Contradictory to your point, if you follow current trends in Med-Ed, they are moving towards proficiency-based training. They want doctors who can do the task. Who cares if it is the most beautiful drip ever inserted. What is more important is that they can put in the drip safely and efficiently. Why waste time making inane differentiation between how the students put in the drip, when differentiation would be purely academic and make no difference for the patient

I suggest Malcolm Gladwell’s books are good for advocating proficiency rather than excellency

My point is about inter-annual variation in the amount of points awarded. There has been an increasing trend of awarding higher points over the last 10 years. This has nothing to do with differentiation. I have mentioned in a previous course why differentiating too much (ie at a percentage level) at a subject-level would be way too fraught with litigation and a logical nightmare.

A brilliant student 4 years ago may have received 550 points, which is at the 95% centile. However, if that person was to compete in the 2021 CAO, their 550 points will not be sufficient for the top courses. Yet, somebody in the top 5% from 2021 will have achieved 605 points. Thus, the students from 2017 will not be playing on a level playing ground to 2021’s cohort.

Now, imagine if the 2022 grades follow the pattern of 2017, then somebody who has done better than 95% of the exam candidates will only receive 550 points. They will be forced to compete against the group from 2021 with the high points who are reapplying to the other courses.

5% is an arbitrary figure. It won’t solve the problem. And what about the 2.32% of all 2021 candidates who received 625 points. You cannot penalise them. Nor can you add on 5% to 100%. So you are stuck. Furthermore, it won’t really account for the varying degree over the years of grade inflation. If you compare 2010 to 2015, and 2015 to 2020, the results are higher as time goes on. So, you cannot just select a random number to compensate.

For me; the fairest thing would be to award the CAO courses based on where the person is on the standard distribution curve of their aggregated LC marks. So, regardless of the year, somebody in the top 1% will receive their top choice

The Drumcondras for primary education are all centile based (at least they were the last time that I heard)

The best of luck to your daughter in her exams! You know, things generally work out well for people!

• Advertisement

I am not sure if that is contradictory to my point. I am saying that if you make the exams more difficult only those with extremely good problem solving skills(in the example of math) will get the highest grade as opposed to arbitrary "excellence" where we nitpick on spelling, presentation or methodology.

This year is an aberration. The H1 rate has tripled in many subjects compared with 2019. When the H1 rate reverts to 5-10%, the problem goes away. Clearly, then, there's a happy medium between 'almost impossible' and ~15% getting A's.

New system does the reverse, removing four grade bands. One of the principal reasons for its adoption was that, because the grades are no longer multiples of five but instead roughly multiples of eleven, the students are much less likely to find themselves with the same points. Personally, I think that's a very dubious way of preventing (and makes the points scores very ugly 427, 566, etc).

while this year is definitely an aberration, the median points and amount of maximum points awarded has been going up steadily over the years. I am wondering if there a better way to facilitate inter-annual variability.

Also, this year will have knock on effects in the subsequent years

If you have 2 excellent students, in order to differentiate them, you may choose a fiendishly difficult question. But my it may not necessarily represent a truly meaningful difference academically. Will somebody who gets 95% on a difficult paper do better academically in the long-run than somebody who gets 95% on an easy paper? I don’t know.

And the course points simply reflect demand. If you mark harder, you will simply just shift the bell curve to the left

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I think everyone knows the LC is a ridiculous out-of-date system that should be scrapped. It has only survived this long because of the cosey cartel of teacher unions, grind schools, Universities, and the Dept. of Education. But is no longer serves its purposes

It is 2021, not 1951. What to replace it with is a hard one, but surely some other countries have got the balance right between project work, continuous assessments, interviews, and exams.

Take the US, which utilises the system that you advocate. This has been shown in many studies to favour richer students. The French system which allows everybody a chance to study what they want is being overhauled.

There is no simplistic solution. And to say the LC is ridiculous is silly. Countless longitudinal studies have showed that a person’s LC points correlate with their college results and how likely they are to complete the course. It shows an academic ability and inclination. Of course, as with every correlation graph, there will be outliers. We all have anecdotes of “so and so got 150 points and is now a senior software engineer.” But let’s not make exceptions the rule. We cannot deny trends and hard data. And for those who don’t thrive in the traditional academic setting, there are backdoors to their desired courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The leaving cert is grand for some, not grand for others. The issue really is what we have people doing after the leaving cert.

College courses to beat the band but a hell of a lot of them completely nonsensical and/or irrelevant. Granted college is needed for some careers but we really should be going down the route of more apprenticeships/traineeships/shorter courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

And how should that be calculated? Teachers aren't psychic

A college degree is like a pair of trousers. Nobody notices that you are wearing trousers. But they notice if you don’t have trousers on.

While my point sounds facetious, College is about far more than just the subject that is being taught. It teaches life skills (like managing assignments, deadlines, attending lectures), gives people confidence, the skills to question what they read (arguably a critical skill in the era of misinformation) and to grow as people. I grew immeasurably from when I entered as a teenager to finishing up as an adult. A university is a safe space where you can practice being an adult without the harshness of the real working world.

I think the problem is that aptitude is being washed out of the lc at the higher end. With grinds and these lc prep schools all we get is the unfair advantage of resources over aptitude. I have some memory of doing math and applied math papers back to the 80s when I was preparing back in 08. There were far more wildcard part c questions that were part of the curriculum but had never really been seen before. I remember one sequence and series that I loved from the 90s about the distance a bouncing ball travelled if it bounced half it's starting height and continued to bounce indefinitely. That is not hard but it would throw you off mid exam and catch out people who aren't able to map problems to what they have total learned. These types of questions get huge complaints when they happen but there should be more of them. They are a fair test. The tests were getting more sanitized and this easier to rota learn for in 08, I assume the trend continued. It's no problem to get a b when only 5% get a b or higher for example.

• Advertisement

Aptitude is something really difficult to define and much harder to quantify. I would call consistency, kindness, patience, communication skills, ability to stay calm in a crisis as good aptitude for a doctor. Does knowing what shape follows next in a series really make a better doctor? Sure, it will help with pattern recognition. But if a doctor cannot speak to a patient and elicit the information, such knowledge is redundant. The number one cause of complaint to the medical council is due to issues with communication. The HPAT doesn’t actually test for this? In fact, the HPAT is taught by a mathematician who has never met a patient in his life.

Aptitude may be clearly definable in the context of the art portfolio, but it is so hard to define in other contexts. There is no simple solution.

Studies have shown that aptitude tests do not correlate with a person’s performance in that degree. A person can watch ER or Scrubs and think that hey, I do well in college, I want to do medicine. But the true aptitude test is when they roam the wards on their first day as an intern. Similarly, I loved Legally Blonde. But the true test for law is when you have your first client in front of you and you have to manage the situation. Doing the job is a real-world setting is the only true aptitude test

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Back in the 90s college places were increased and more mickie mouse courses were created and I know for a fact that lecturers were told that they shouldn't fail so many.

And yes some of those graduates went on to get decent enough jobs at the end of it.

The goal initially it looked like was to keep people in education and off the live register.

Then when our celtic tiger took off (the real initial technology, telecoms, ecommerce based one and not the building shoe boxes for each other bought with cheap credit)

the goal was to show how educated we were to lure yet more FDI into Ireland.

A lot of it was a myth where you had IT graduates (particualrly from IT post grad courses) that could barely turn on a computer and even worse hadn't any desire for IT, but it looked good on the stats.

Giving nearly everyone some type of diploma or degree lessens the value of degrees.

Now a good leaving cert means nothing, employers look for a degree or diploma even though it might be shyte.

And even a good degree in something good is now seen as not enough, it has to be a masters or PHD.

And often all you get is someone that knows a fair bit of theory, little practical and has spent nearly 20 years in education and academia.

Mansplaning me hole.

For the love of fook can we leave the Americanised shyte terminology out of his?

I despair if you use that divisive Americanised shyte with your students.

And who the fook would want to pretend to be a teacher.

I am not allowed discuss …

I don’t agree with calling a course Mickie Mouse. While it may not be the most practical, it doesn’t mean that it is not worthy.

Also, if IT degrees in this country were so easy, I don’t understand why the attrition rate is so high?

About 56% of people aged between 15-39 have a third-level qualification according to the CSO (2016). That means 44% of people don’t have a third-level qualification. This notion that everybody has a third-level qualification is untrue

I take your point Percentile grading within a year is fairer if there is large fluctuation from one year to the next

In the north grade boundaries shift for each exam session depending on achievement by the cohort of pupils.

The exam boards now publish these for a lot of the subjects so you can see how raw marks, ( the actual mark in the exam) can result in different grades.

78% might get a B one year but only a C a different year if more pupils are achieving higher marks.

Applied Maths doesn't have part c's. And having done likewise in going back to 80s questions while studying it, I don't agree there is a noticeable difference in the standard.

The SEC does something similar, albeit with less transparency. At the markers' conferences, they adjust the marking schemes on the basis of the results of a subset of scripts.

Regarding your second point, the fallacy to this argument is that year-on-year you have an increase in the absolute number and cumulative total of students receiving top marks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Are saying that those without a college degree don't gain those life skills and potentially those that don't attend college don't every really "grow up" - cannot question something for themselves?

I totally disagree with your analogy to be honest. I've worked with many fine people who've never been near a college or have never reached the heady heights of gaining a college degree - would never have noticed.

I suppose a lot of these opinions come from where you are and have been yourself. All I can see is the amount of very poor courses out there setting very poor expectations for those that do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

Read my previous comments and you will see the percentages of students at each point score over the years

• Advertisement

Your comment is very defensive. You are projecting meaning onto my post that is not there

Of course people can do perfectly well in life without a college degrees. However, I find the way you dismiss college degrees and dismiss 4 years of people’s study as a “Micky Mouse” course to be unfair. Do you think that their 4 years leads to zero acquisition of any skills at all?

You are trying to put words in my mouth and infer something that I never said. I said nothing about growing up in college. I said that they can grow up in a safe space that is not a harsh working environment (safe environment being the operative word). When you are paid to do a task, there is a lot of expectation and little room for error. College is more forgiving.

Advertisement