Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Do you prefer the coronation model used by other parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I am not a member of any party and don't require a 'preference'. Just stating the facts to somebody who trumpeted the man's popularity.

The membership of FG did not want him by almost 2-1 = fact.

Where in my post did I ask if you were a member of any party? I asked do you prefer the coronation model used by other parties?

How do you gauge the popularity of other leaders by the membership if they are coronated?

I didn't comment on FG's method from a preference perspective. I just stated the facts.

I don't care how leaders are selected tbh,, they all have their own ways.

I judge political parties and their leaders on what they do.

"I don't care how leaders are selected tbh,, they all have their own ways."

Any preference thought democratic transparent process or coronation? I know which I would choose.

• Advertisement

I am not a member of a political party, and never will be, so I have np preference because I don't need one.

If I was a member and my vote was ignored, then I dare say I wouldn't like that. I would have no time for a party who gave no say to the membership and I don't think many Irish would. I detest monarchy's anywhere. Kinda obvious when someone says they are a 'republican'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

First of all, you may be new to the thread but there has been loads of posts deleted from this very thread because of their homophobic nature. That is just a fact. Are you denying that this?

Secondly, his musical tastes have zero to do with his politics. So why do people keep referring to it? You agree with Fionn1952 about this, yet defend it at the same time.

The last time SF had an election for its leadership was 1983. Sounds like a monarchy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Secondly, his musical tastes have zero to do with his politics. So why do people keep referring to it? You agree with Fionn1952 about this, yet defend it at the same time.

this isn't quite true (and you completely ignored where I mentioned this earlier) Leo's music taste shouldn't have anything to do with his politics, they should be his own personal business, not subject to criticism of scrutiny by anyone else.

However,. Leo crossed the threshold of his personal/public life when he decided to write to her, on official government headed paper, and signed off as "Leo V , Taoiseach (Irish prime minister)" we know this to be true as it was released under FOI.

Leo and his friends were later pictured with the Australian singer/actor which arguably only happened on the back of the letter he had written.

Sorry mark, but this letter alone makes the criticism of him fair game by Irish electorate and taxpayer imo, you know the reasons why. Wouldn't matter who the artist was, Kylie or Metallica, once he used his position as Taoiseach to get to them.

Post edited by McMurphy on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ive been in his company twice as well. He was arrogant and rude. It was well noted over this side at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Should be pointed out that Varadkar is a Kylie mega fan and one of her biggest hits is a song called Spinning Around, no doubt thats his favourite Kylie tune 😂 Id say it was played on loop in his 5 million quid 'Strategic Spin Communications Unit'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Michael Martin, must be too, as one of her early hits describes his relationship with Leo. Better the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

No, I've read your comments using the gay minority to deflect.

Because he used his position to try get Kylie. It warrants ridicule IMO. It's a childish move abusing his position. You made it a thing by inferring homophobia which you seem to do often. It's a form of abuse toward the gay community IMO.

A poor attempt it must be said.

You keep on defending this stuff. The sexism, the homophobia, the anger, the lies by 'journalists' and government jets, the Paddy Cosgroves, and their tweets about dead nurses. You are always there defending it. Why is that?

Again, you refuse to acknowledge the numerous posts deleted by mods because of their blatant homophobia. This is just a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,454 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Varadkar’s partner has suggested photographs taken of the Tánaiste at a UK festival last weekend amounted to cyberbullying dressed up as “some sort of perverse public service”.

Dr Matthew Barrett has hit out at the Twitter storm caused by Mr Vardakar’s attendance at the Mighty Hoopla festival.

Representatives of the live events industry criticised the Enterprise Minister for travelling to the music event on the same weekend as Electric Picnic was scheduled to take place in Co Laois.

Former Fine Gael TD Kate O’Connell said the move was “tone deaf” while Arts Minister Catherine Martin said she wouldn’t have gone to a major festival abroad as she “understands the sensitivities” of the sector.

The Independent

unable to debate the topic at hand, you're away off on some new crusade.

noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Expected better from you.

Go back and look at the original post. It was saying that heterosexual men wouldn't have his taste in music. Clearly, it wasn't about his taste in music.

Standard fare once the mask slips. That it is being defended so strongly says a lot.

Of all the nonsense that has ever been posted on here, concluding that Varadkar crossed a threshold by writing to Kylie is up there with the most facetious of that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

You deciding something is homophobic and then cricising people for 'defending it' is creating your own thing to use and whine about.

More false homophobic accusation with no supporting evidence. Have some respect for your hero than constantly using his sexuality to cover for his numerous **** ups.

Any politician using his position to try get Kylie is a buffoon who should be ridiculed for misuse of office.

• Advertisement

"Nonsense"

"facetious"

The argument presented here, was that he can be a fan of whomever he wants, what he does in his personal life is his own business, and so it is.

It's literally there in black and white, but sure why don't you waste everyone's time by claiming black is white, and what's white is black.

His letter literally was released under FOI in case you missed it, and he sent Kylie a letter on official headed paper.

He signed that letter off as Leo V, Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) in case you missed it, and in the process making taxpayer criticism or comment entirely justified.

Why you wish to insult your own intelligence arguing the indefensible is beyond me, but you tear away if it makes you happy champ.🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Leo's popularity has absolutely sunk in the latest opinion polls.

I’ve just checked in and there are 3, yes, 3 threads slating Leo, Coveney, FG, FF….

Ye are like vultures. Get a grip. There’s more to life than our Tanaistes taste in music!

This is the "current affairs" forum Maryanne. FFG, Leo and Coveney are making headlines currently. They are generating these comments with their own actions.

You're free to start up your own 4th thread too if you like.

Post edited by McMurphy on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Yes there is more to life, such as an end to cronyism, an end to politicians treating us mugs and lying to us and an end to politicians changing the regulations when they are snared breaking them.

Post edited by skimpydoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

i see something more going to be in the Sindo tomorrow re Varadkar and his ex pal Matty Toole. Headlines look juicy but haven’t read the full

story

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've been distracted by another Thread so it's been a while 😏 but I see this story rumbles on.

Just have to ask what this is all about, is it another deflection attempt, the timing somewhat curious as to the discription of Dr Maitiú Ó Tuathail being a "Friend" of Leo's.

With friends like that, etc etc etc.....

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

I don't understand that story about O Tuathail, if the story about blackmail involved him (OTuathail) allegedly involved in fraudulent activity surrounding a charity, and photos of a sexual nature both of which he says are untrue/don't exist.

How, if the allegations only involved OTuathail, would they be designed to damage Leo Varadkar?

Sounds like a "look over there" story to be honest.

More facetious nonsense. There are thousands of letters sent by the Taoiseach's office on headed paper every week to all sorts of people.

It is clear what you are at and what you are giving oxygen to.

• Advertisement

Do you have a point here or are you just determined to make yourself look foolish with the nonsense you're posting?

Are you suggesting that this letter wasn't sent by Leo, is that it?

Someone forged his signature?

We are through the looking glass.

This one could be shaping up to give me days of enjoyment lol. 🤣🤣

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement