Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah walk ins or cancellations are a good chance to not be waiting a while. Lockdown really screwed over the tattoo studios as from what I remember they couldn't open back when cinemas and gyms were so places had huge backlogs of appointments. I understand you're in close contact but if anywhere is going to be safe and sanitised it's a tattoo studio!

Not sure if I can name drop but a friend of mine owns a studio in Dublin with some pretty well known artists so if anyone wants another recommendation just send me a message and I'll share the link to the guys work so you can have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

Someone mentioned them, so I went ahead and installed them. Nothing to it really, they both run perfectly with minimal effort. Nice to see them get that GoG love tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Deadly, I've been meaning to give them a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone see the yellow Automotive Collection PS2 on The Rage's Facebook? Someone in the comments say they go for €600-1,000.

Are these the ones I saw advertised in the Sony Centre as a kid? I remember seeing a picture in the window of different solid colours and never saw anything since.

Pretty sweet colour but if I was getting anything that rare it'd have to be complete (and ideally not cost more than a weeks wages!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seems that WipeOut is on the way back, with a new release for the PS5.

The series was at its best on console, with WipeOut 2097 and on handheld, with the Pulse and Pure games on the PSP, though the Vita game was pretty good (since ported to the PS4)

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/ps5-ps1-playstation-wipeout-new-game/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hate to break it to you but that entire team is working on a big multiplayer project and not wipeout. The author is making some pretty tenuous connections there to back up his claims but it's flimsy at best. I doubt it's coming back any time soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Was never much of a Wipeout fan, F-Zero GX was way better imo, would be nice if that made a comeback instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,824 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I didn't play FZero at all when I was younger, don't think I'd even heard of the series until years later.

Played the hell out of Wipeout 2097 when it came out though. First on that amazing early ps1 demo disc and then finally picked up a platinum copy of it when it came down in price (back in the days before trade ins were a big thing)

The soundtrack and visual style are pure 90s nostalgia, absolutely love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

Same, while I was picking my jaw up off the floor after seeing Wipeout on the original PS1 demo disc....I never really took to the games themselves. F-Zero always seemed more enjoyable

F-Zero GX’s boost system felt a bit broken to me. Having to be on the edge of exploding all the time is a compelling idea, but the AI doesn’t make that enjoyable.

SNES F-Zero is a stone cold classic. I still play it. F-Zero X is amazing too, but the visual sacrifices for 60fps are on the edge of tolerance for me so I usually put on Wave Race 64

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Starting to research making my own Sega mega drive game hack

I really want to make a Lazer Steak themed game. Since gave development is pretty expensive and out of my range. I'm thinking a hack of Revenge of Shinobi with changed sprites and colour tweaks could be my best bet. Anyone have experience doing anything like that?

Id be burning roms onto a repro board and into a cart and case. Just a fun project I'd like to do!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Romhacking.net is a good resource. Plenty of rom hacking tools there some exclusive for certain games that could make things easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I made some Sonic hacks back in the day but I was using some pre-built tools. I created a few of my own Mega Drive carts recently though so if you need any advice let me know! :-)

1300 + shipping off Ronnie

Things keep going this way I'll be able to trade in my candy cabs for a Ferrari in a few years lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Not bad but that yellowed plastic turns me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I assume that plastic is painted? Looks too uniform to be discoloured, looks like a bit of a mongrel

Ah that's yellowed I think. Looks like the few stickers were covering certain spots and saved those white.

1300 for a NNC with a yellowed front and an 1PCP is pretty mental of you ask me.

€1500 to get here. Crazy times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭geotrig

NNC's never hugely dropped significantly in price over the years though and haven't seen the increases in price other cabs have (well them them and blasts held steady and still do price wise ) now 1300 for an astro seems mad as were coming from a much lower price point for a long time but lets not kid ourselves astros are nicer !

nnc all yellowed ,badly in some cases(but yellowing is yellowing , just that one yellowed so much so i thought it was a crazy taxi front at first !😂

I dont have a net city or nnc so no vested interest in keeping price high😁 , never much liked them although enough ,I do like some bits of them ! goes for uni's as well even when i had some of them.

They wouldn't be to my taste in terms of design. I think when I get another cabinet, it'll be an Astro City or Blast City to go with my Aero. Got to have one vertical!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'm a firm advocate of screen size uniformity between arcade machines. Older full metal bodied cabinets with 25-26 inch screens really look lovely together. I always find when you throw a 29 inch plastic cabinet like a Blast into the mix they tend to dwarf the older ones.

Only problem of course is now older candy cabinets have gotten sickeningly expensive!

nah I've an aero and e2 sitting beside each other and there isn't much between them and they look pretty uniform, angle of screen plays a bigger part if ou ask me over the years ,also a blast always looks odd over the extended height oddball forwardness of the nnc and the like can seen a bit off with some also

older pic and not really lined up but you get the idea all different sizes'

Master of the Universe

Uniformity goes out the window when you have an MT-8 in the room :pac:

Is that fully restored now?

Ha yeah its fully playable on but in reality about90% done , hooded cabs are the biz 😍 was storing some stuff in the room so had little to no room to work on it 😒and I go at these things in small spurts these days in that pic at the time it wasn't playable

From memory I think what's left is underside light , headphone pcb ,need to knock one up at some point ,have a temp solution in there for the moment to better understand it, what it does and what I thought it was supposed to do was two different things (I presumed it killed speaker output🤔 but it doesn't just take a feed from it) and a few general tidying up bits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kerbdog donated an AES to me, no controller or game.

I've ordered an AES multicart from Aliexpress, should be here sometime next year!

I also bought an adapter cable, which I will use to turn a Tank Stick into a AES stick.

The adapter is actually for converting a Neo Geo X controller into an AES controller, but it will work for me as the very sparse PCB has simple solder points that even cack-handed muppet such as myself can manage... though I will still be asking Kerbdog to do it!

Looking forward to having a Neo Geo shaped hole in my collection being filled

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭dav09

The reason for current cab prices: shortage in Japan due to home market exploding there during COVID (especially for candies). Shipping container prices which used to be 2k-ish now 12-14k, brings it up to over probably 400 for shipping along now in a container. This will relax again eventually. I wanted to import a lot of stuff a while back but right now not feasible with the current prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

RIP Clive Sinclair. His rough and ready computers made my youth so enjoyable, and continue to be great machines to waste a few hours with.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

The uk's vibrant games development landscape wouldnt be what it is without sir clive and the zx.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Sir Clive Sinclair has passed away. Any speccy owners going to play some games tonight in his honour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

didn’t he hate that they were only considered as games machines ? 😀

RIP Sir Clive

Advertisement