Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Permanent HR File?

Options
  • 01-09-2021 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Is there a permanent HR record that follows you around the Civil Service, or is it only People Point records that get sent on when you move Department/body? I've been told it's only PeoplePoint, but my gut says things will follow you forever. I very foolishly mentioned some personal circumstances to someone last week and now I'm worried they're going to make an issue out of it... just wondering if that information will be shared if I moved (been in my current role 6 years, so have been eyeing up a move anyway)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Was it just a colleague you said it to or someone in HR?

Why would they make an issue out if it?

I don't think HR can just take someone's word and add something to your file based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sharklaser87

Someone in HR... was having a chat about possibilities for an internal move and I mentioned I'd worked in Department X years ago and been bullied by a colleague - got bad enough my doc signed me off for a few weeks over the stress. I didn't think it'd matter since it was so long ago but she got kind of funny after I said it and now I'm afraid of being labelled as a problem :/

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Yeah your file is supposed to go with you.

But in this situation you did tell them something that they probably don't even have.

Your sick leave record is (as in the days, maybe that it is stress) most likely, in your file but not anything specific about the ins and outs of the bullying.

I mean if it is a worry to you, ask to take a look at it. They're supposed to let you under GDPR anyway. Honestly, people think it's full of weird gossip on the person in question but I've never seen one like that in my time (because of the reason above). It'll but your mind at ease. Also, they won't have put in stuff from your past which might not even be true into the file now.

I was bullied at work and took sick leave over it and there's zero on it in my file bar some ancient sick leave on my peoplepoint record that says "work related stress". I checked my own file during the bullying and zero in it. Also, if you've moved loads your file is probably chunky enough and no one is there reading every page.

Never mention the bullying again to HR though, just laugh it off and go "ha i dont dwell on my old jobs, the past is past, that place was nothing like here anyways" and change the subject.

Just ignore her odd and unprofessional facial expressions, I'd work on the assumption she's most likely already forgotten what you've said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭I am me123

What kinds of information is stored in an employee file in the Civil Service?

Advertisement