Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Wedding Venues Donegal

Options
  • 09-09-2021 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi, currently planning a wedding and exploring to idea of having the reception in a non hotel / country house or Marquee type venue. Might be a non runner but thought I check here for some inspiration 😄

Would love to hear of any suggestions or ideas. The likes of pubs with function rooms or restaurants that have hosted weddings before would be great. Or something completely different!

Total numbers would be 80-100+ people (which probably makes this impossible to find such a venue). Open to all food options, be it a meal, bbq, finger food or hiring a catering company.

Location must be Donegal and ideally north Donegal. Currently based in Letterkenny.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

A few options are Hooked at the Boardwalk in Carrigart, they have a large function room that can fit that number, have done 2 weddings there, the last one totally transformed the room when fitted out, a bonus is that you get the whole place to yourself and if it's a good day, you can use the patio out front that over looks the bay.

Another place is Dunmore House in Carrigans , they have converted a large barn for weddings, looks amazing but not sure how many it can sit as they used a marquee outside for the meal part but both the wedding itself and the disco afterwards were held inside the barn, bonus here is their gardens.

I have heard that McCafferty's Bar in the mountain top was taken over for a weeding once, different sort of venue for sure.

If I can think of any more, I will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was going to mention Dunmore House. I was talking to someone who was at a wedding thee a few weeks ago and thought it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

Great suggestions so far! Thanks @slimboyfat & @muffler.

Hooked was on my list already but unfortunately not taking bookings for next year right now. Will definitely look up Dunmore House. Pics of the barn look top notch.

Really surprised and intrigued to hear McCafferty's bar was used for a wedding party! Big fan of that place.

Hmmm ..... not at the moment it seems. Camping only. This is the message on their website ... "SORRY CLOSED FOR ACTIVITIES, CAMPING ONLY"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

McGrorys in Culdaff might be an idea?

https://www.mcgrorys.ie/weddings-inishowen

The Red Door in Fahan is amazing. We had similiar numbers there. Food was fantastic, restaurant quality. Beautiful location and we had our ceremony outside, covered by a marquee.

Correct but I think that refers to the outdoors activities, as far as I know the barn is still used for an odd evet here and there, best to contact them.

Thanks for the new suggestions, I shall research them all!

I was at the Red Door before just for wedding photos (groomsman duty) and snacks and it was really nice.

I know I said no hotels but McGrorys looks lovely and definitely more unique. Also the beach nearby is stunning.

Strangely enough can't seem to find any alternatives in Letterkenny except for the Orchard Inn. I think they have a function room upstairs but can't find much info on it.

Too small for my own plans but thought I mention if anyone else is browsing for ideas. Fanad Lighthouse caters for weddings up to 40 people.

https://fanadlighthouse.com/weddings-overview/

• Advertisement

Ill ask a DJ I know if he knows of any places.

This is the reply I got ...

"Drumhalla House in Rathmullen would tick all those boxes he is looking for. Damian O’Connor is the manager down there and the man to talk to".

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

One of the best weddings I was ever at was in the Vestry in the grounds of St. Conal's Hospital in Letterkenny. There was about 100 there, buffet meal, bring-your-own drink, and a disco afterwards.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Anyone been to Carnaween House in Portnoo for a shindig?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MC22

This thread is great! I'm looking for an alternative venue not too far from Dunlewey Church. Anymore around that way?

Advertisement