Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Same reason every fund manager on CNBC warns of an upcoming pullback, people sound smarter when they're bearish. Any tom, dick and harry can say "buy and hold", smart people have to be seen to be deeper thinkers. Also, one day they'll be right (temporarily), hence justifying the opinion in their heads.

Saying all this, I prefer a bit of discussion rather than the absolute Echo Chambers you see on places like Reddit. Dissent from the consensus there and you face a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

A 10% drop in crypto is not a "tank" so you didn't predict anything yet. Everyone knows that there's a chance the arse will fall out of the market at any time, if you don't know this, you shouldn't be investing full stop.

I don't have a problem with contrary opinions either when backed up with either evidence or even a baseless opinion at least. But what we have is 3-4 posters claiming they've dumped their entire portfolio in anticipation of something dire without giving any good reason why. It just spreads FUD in a thread that is dedicated to optimism about the crypto market.

Also, I think it could have more to do with this thread:

being more dead than this one.

I'm not claiming to be nastrodamus of the crypto market. If I was I'd be a billionaire and wouldn't be wasting my time talking about it on boards. I gave an opinion that I didn't think it was going to make the 52k break through, nit pick at my words all you like. I'm also not trying to say I told you so, not once did I say that when the drop happened. I'm saying this now to defend myself against allegations.

The tanking is not finished yet. Its got strong support at 45k but closer to the down trend than the uptrend.

On the flip side, what about all these people claiming to know its going to 100k by eoy. Completely baseless claims.

Separating discussions into positive and negative like that is nonsense. Everybody go to the room where everyone else agrees with everything you say. Everyone happy in their own echo chamber. Can we not just have discussions and debates? Let them get heated, it's healthy. We all might learn a thing or two from each other.

However I respect the forum charter so if giving a differing opinion in here breaks that I'll happily bow out and leave you all to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

People have different risk tolerance, anyone buying in should be willing to hold for at least a year though. It is a volatile market. Though people need to make their own choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I don't know about the other bears?

But I did call the 52k rejection a couple of weeks ago, and I do expect BTC to retrace to the mid 30's before the next proper breakout. That will no doubt have a concurrent effect on ALTs, although perhaps not as severe on ETH.

Crypto IMO at least is currently at the whim of broader market trends and in particular US equities. There hasn't been a 5% pullback on the S&P in over 300 days.

There is a little bit of what the Japanese call victory sickness around equities on the back of a 12yr bull IMO.

The hedge funds are smarter than me and probably most posters here too. They are certainly using crypto as a hedge and when the equity bull retreats? Where does the short lived crypto 1 go?

Bearish doesn't mean no faith in Crypto. Nor should Bullish mean that you place all faith in crypto while ignoring the rest of the economic signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭borderfox11

Crypto as a hedge?? Crypto is risk on so not sure how you think it's a hedge, unless you mean on a long term macro scale

It's not risk on when you are a market maker and colluding with other market makers to pump the price, create a sense of FOMO and then dump the price. Its called a bull trap and its very easy to identify after its happened (not so while it's happening).

They are doing this over and over again making 10's of billions on tap whenever they need it.

Precisely this.

As for the comment you replied to... That's precisely the narrow view that allows the same trap to keep springing, again and again and again.

Nobody's saying you have no right to a dissenting view here, but you expect not to be challenged on it. If a team of bulls swarmed the "Worried" thread claiming 100K before year end, do you think everyone there would sit back without challenging it or questioning why a team of bulls are swarming the thread? I think not.

• Advertisement

I don't post in the "Worried' thread, because medium to long term I'm not. Crypto is certainly here to stay and is finding use more use cases all the time. The effort to bypass western union and other payment processors by El Salvador is a great example IMO.

My current sentiment isn't fear, it's still excitement and I see that excitement in a lot of posters here. My current thinking is though that a holistic view of global economic trends is needed, with a particular view on US equities. That bull is the fuel along with global Central Bank QE efforts that are driving all the markets, equity and crypto. The US have announced they are tapering, the ECB is pulling back some of its programmes, inflation is climbing and interest rates are near zero. The tools for intervention after 14yrs if printing money with near zero interest rates are now pretty much restricted to interest rate rises.

That's the holistic view I take of the current market landscape, and crypto is only a part of the landscape. Is it to be expected that when there is an equities reversal or stagnation, when interest rates rise and retail needs to meet a loan payment or cover costs elsewhere that any market isn't going to take a hit? That the highly volatile and sometimes illiquid crypto markets in particular, won't?

Great, refute my arguments with some facts and it's all good.

I'm not here to turn everyone against crypto, just looking for some intelligent debate. I only yesterday sold some Tezos for a healthy profit and could have held on, still looking good. So it's not all doom and gloom but I have to say everything I do is shrouded in suspiscion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Back in Early 2020, as the pandemic was kicking off, many pundits who would class as seasoned 'experts' were warning of an imminent economic meltdown, advising not to buy the dip, in the case of the equity market dropping considerably. These experts proved to be wrong. We didn't have a global economic meltdown worse than the great depression and in fact the US economy has surged to levels currently higher than pre-covid.

"Warren Buffett Goes for GOLD: Warning of an Imminent Stock Market Crash?

Joey Frenette| August 18, 2020|"

"May 16, 2020, 8:30 PMWarren Buffett Joins the Chorus of Billionaires Warning of a Stock Market Crash"

And more currently "10 Sep. 2021 - 9h16 AM 3 min read – by Katie Donaldson

Global central bankers have again issued a round of warnings against using Bitcoin. The governor of the Bank of Mexico, as well as the governor of Sweden’s Central Bank, the Riksbank, are both sure that Bitcoin will collapse soon."

Meanwhile, Chartered Standard Bank analysts think bitcoin could hit $100 K later this year or early next year.

Take your pick of the experts, they all know what they are talking about, and yet none of them do, especially the central bankers - a species of financial relic who have been predicting bitcoins demise for as long as I have been holding it.

Think for yourself and act accordingly.

100% agree and in particular with your last line. It's very much a DYOR space I'm not trying to shill, to spread FUD or to cause anyone to 2nd guess themselves.

My comfort level pulled me to cash a few weeks ago, and left profit on the table. I'm no timing guru 😉

I've my buys set and I'll certainly be going back in hard over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭borderfox11

it's always the pesky market makers isn't it! you never hear about them when the market is going up 😁

And Tezos goes down. It'll go up again before diving...bull trap.

This isn't a matter of echo chambers and debate about the market. This is a matter of you being in the wrong thread for this

If you feel it's the wrong thread? Report it. Otherwise maybe lay off the modding?

Not modding anything, just pointing out that everyone is converging into one of the few active crypto threads left and bringing the themes and sentiments with them

It's backseat modding, and chat about crypto on any of the threads is surely to be welcomed?

If it's FUD, Bearish or wrong the poster should support their viewpoint or at least flesh out their opinions.

Same if it's bullish, support it. Either viewpoint drives discussion and the notion of relying on separate threads for Good v Bad crypto discussion is a nonsense. It turns both threads into echo chambers and there needs to be balance. The discussion is pertinent be that people are going balls deep in ETH, or are struggling to see the current Bull continue as is. Far better to have those points and counters laid out and supported in a back and forth, than shunted off to "Excited" and "Worried" threads.

• Advertisement

I'm one of the posters that has dumped my crypto to cash. I also laid out (I hope) why I did that. I'd seen 52k as a rejection point for BTC, and on Fib/Elliot wave and market cycle history, I think that it's going to drop back further and called mid 30's as my range for that drop. With the concurrent effect on ALTs.

I'm happy to throw up my trades out of positions or my current cash balance. It's not a matter of (in my case anyway) of having others throw their positions out the window and follow me. I'm happy to lay out why I trade the way I do (and a glance at SPY today should set some alarms ringing).

I've gone to cash, but I still have huge optimism for crypto. Not just in the speculate to accumulate manner, but in offering a degree of financial freedom and self banking independence that will raise many out of poverty.

My enthusiasm is unabated, my faith in the current cycle and it's persisting without a further drop aren't.

I left a lot on the table when I went to cash, particularly with ADA and LINK but I see ADA as a challenger to ETH particularly if it overcomes the Smart Contract FUD that's floating. As for Link another great project that I have to thank Dirk Diggler for, but it's recent rise is based on yet to be realised hype and its price like all ALTs is tied closely to BTC. If I believe BTC is going to take a dip, it follows that I feel the same about the ALTs I was holding and that's why I went to cash.(For now)

That's exactly what I mean by echo chamber. If you're only allowed have bullish opinions then this is an echo chamber.

By the way I'm not "a bear", I just happen to have spotted a bull trap, having been caught in them many times. The crypto market is bearish at the moment, so obviously you're going to get bearish comments.

I've made a couple of positive/bullish comments on Tezos now. And I'll say it again, Tezos pumping now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think it's settling up for a 2nd leg with the information I've seen.

The drop on Tuesday was a classic buy the rumour, sell the news moment like the Coinbase listing and Elon Musk on SNL. The market was highly leveraged and it caused a cascade of liquidations.

So why do I think then it's different from the 2018 dead cat bounce? In 2018, when the market recovered to these levels, long term holders used it as an exit and sold. The last week has shown that the people who sold were leveraged traders and new buyers who sold at a loss. Long term holders accumulated heavily. Exchanges are getting drained of bitcoin.

TA wise Bitcoin has held above the 21 week EMA for 5 weeks. 2018 it was rejected straight away multiple times. If you zoom out on the charts and look at it from 2 years you can see Elliot Wave Theory playing out and we are about to start Wave 5 which is the last one before major correction.

Length of cycle - if the top was in April, it would make it the shortest cycle when all other cycles have shown they are getting longer. On top of this there is now institutional investment and adoption of crypto it just seems unlikely the bull market gets shorter.

For me the biggest threats to Crypto right now that could knock it out cold are the traditional markets going through a big correction or Tether blows up. I've not seen 1 good argument why Tether is not dodgy. In fact it terrifies me.

Post edited by Unearthly on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yeah putting your bitcoin into tether might be the worst thing you could do. Biggest risk in the space is tether collapsing.

Even though I do think that risk is overblown. The volume of tether I've bought as it's the easiest way into lots of the alt exchanges that you can't really use a debit card on.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

Im excited for two reason and one of them is inflation, officially its running around 2% in USA, UK and EU but i think we can all agree that BS, you can personally see the size of stuff you buy in the shops shrinking to keep the same price and with some goods you can taste they have changed to inferior ingredients to keep the price down, i know inflation will be very bad in general but i believe it will be good for crypto, just look at countries with crazy inflation like Venezuela with inflation in the thousands of percent, the people are buying crypto, now Venezuela is at the extreme end of inflation and i don't think we will see that level in the USA, UK or EU but we could see 10%+ inflation and we have that in Turkey where its 14% and the population are buying crypto at a very high rate, especially AVAX which has a Turkish CEO.

Then i see in the UK Boris raises the ire of the entire population by announcing a tax rise to generate £14 billion a year extra, whats that got to do with crypto you may ask, well Quantitative easing in the UK for 2021 is £895bn, so ask yourself why did Boris decide to anger the public with a tax rise rather than print a inconsequential in the great scheme of things £14 billion? The only answer i can think of is Boris is very , very worried about inflation, if the UK experiences high inflation we will see huge amounts of money flood into crypto and if the UK gets high inflation the USA and EU will follow a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Still stacking irresponsibly. Looking forward to $65k + by November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

CCP wants to control everything in the country, no one else cares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Advertisement