Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2021 Grade inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Again I say it; this year cannot be compared to any other. There were massive modifications to the papers and content

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

The ramifications of the altered grades will have knock on effects for future CAO applicants and for those who chose to defer for a year. The issue of the actual nominal value of the points is academic. However, the fair allocation of CAO places may not be fair in subsequent years (people reapplying for their courses next year). Finally, while this year is a statistical anomaly the numbers of maximal grades awarded and median points is higher year-on-year, and this trend can adversely affect people applying to the CAO from previous cohorts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Your initial comments were just as defensive to be frank about it. I never called college degrees "Mickey Mouse". There are a number of professions that require a college degree - there are many more that would work fine with an apprenticeship style type training but we've over complicated them. A lot of degree courses are full of filler and waffle - do you suggest this is not true?

This is what you said:

" It teaches life skills (like managing assignments, deadlines, attending lectures), gives people confidence, the skills to question what they read (arguably a critical skill in the era of misinformation) and to grow as people. I grew immeasurably from when I entered as a teenager to finishing up as an adult."

(Bolded for emphasis)

If that's you saying nothing about growing up in college, I don't know what it is.

Fact: I entered as a teenager. I left as an adult in my early 20s. It was a safe space for me to grow up. College was a great and safe space for me to grow.

A previous poster (apologies) labelled courses as Micky Mouse courses. It frustrates me as I do not like anybody’s course belittled. While the skills may not be directly applicable, cross-transferable skills are learned. Of course, these skills can be learned on the job, but in a work context, people are less forgiving of people’s mistakes.

I have people in my family with third-level and others with no third-level. For some, it has impeded their confidence. For others, they couldn’t care less.

I don’t think that people having a couple of years to do a college degree before entering the tough, big bad world is a bad thing, either socially or economically. And I certainly cannot abide the ranking or worthiness of courses. Who is to say that a philosophy grad won’t make good use of the critical thinking skills in another, unrelated field

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Haven't read all the responses but looks like some are still defending predictive grades or at least regard them as the least worst option. Pandemic or not, it is very problematic asking teachers to mark their own students. The fact that there has been significant inflation compounds the issue.

We didn't allow garages to issue NCT certs or driving instructors to examine their own students during the pandemic. Of course we do have a history of handing out driving licences to drivers without examining them whIch was something that undermined confidence in the system and, arguably, road safety itself for years.

Road safety is very important, so too is the integrity of a system that has a very significant effect on young people's future careers and lives. Notwithstanding arguments from successful people who did badly in the LC saying that the LC doesn't matter - survivorship bias with a bit of boomerism thrown in.

It is not surprising that many teachers (the diligent and good ones I suspect) hate predictive grades.

Thinking back to my own school days, out of my 7 teachers for the senior cycle I'd have trusted maybe 2 of them to grade students in a competent and objective manner. The other 5 could barely teach their subjects, let alone examine them.

We did aptitude tests (DAT) at one stage in the senior cycle and the class ranking correlated fairly well with the points that we subsequently achieved in the LC. Years later, when I came across national stats for LC points, the correlation was also reasonable in my own case - 99th percentile in the verbal and numerical part (indicative of general scholastic ability) of the DAT and about 97th percentile in terms of CAO points for the year in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Don’t get me wrong. I know this. But I’m saying that they aren’t comparable. They will be made comparable with all the ramifications of it but the reality is this years papers are not comparable to other years and thus neither are the points

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

The predictive grades fiasco is proof we need to get rid of the traditional leaving cert... I've heard it all now

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/leaving-cert-2021-points-race-5544521-Sep2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The UK system has interviews and you can only apply to 4 colleges for medicine. This involves 4 very competitive interviews to be even considered for a course.

You can have the situation where pupils can be sitting in February with no offers therefore no chance of a place regardless of exam performance.

I agree it is a better system for selecting medicine candidates but it is not any easier than purely exam performance. Much more difficult to get a place.

Successful candidate still need nearly max A level results (or (LC) also.

People should be careful what they wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Since points were introduced in 1992 have they ever dropped across the board and if so why.

Obviously as trends come and go individual courses will rise and fall I don't mean that.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

My sympathies to him, but his ire should be directed at the HPAT and the deflation of LC points beyond 550 for medicine entry. 'Medicine in NUIG rose nine points (the equivalent of 45 leaving cert points) to 737, one point more than I achieved.' He's here (somewhat disingenuously) referring to the fact that each five LC points above 550 only counts as one. But HPAT points are unaffected. The reason for the rise in points for medicine is that by hugely increasing the numbers reaching that 550 threshold (from 6% to 15%), medicine places were effectively determined by HPAT score alone. He may have scored in the 80th percentile, but evidently there were not enough places for the top 20% of applicants.

'Now I’m faced with the heavy decision of accepting my 6th choice or taking a gap year to try again.'

This is what we all fear. He will waltz into any medical degree he wants if he applies next year. In fairness to him, he did achieve 6H1s in the exam. But there are questions about just how challenging this years exams were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

100% agree with this. I also found out this year about the massive costs 600 euro plus that people pay for HPAT prep material.

Realistically you need to be in 80th percentile to get in even with near max leaving.

The UCAT is an equivalent aptitude test for UK but used alongside interview.

My daughter has done UCAT, will do HPAT in Feb but practice material, website etc for UCAT was far cheaper.

Just another example of cost been a barrier for many students.

There was a big drop in numbers sitting the LC from 1995 to 1996 (without IIRC a reduction in college places) so there might have been a stabilisation or slight reduction in points in 1996. The points for college courses on the CAO site only go back as far as 1998 so I don't know.

The reason for the reduction in LC numbers that year was related to the timing of the introduction of transition years in many schools in the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

Thank you! I agree about the test prep. HPAT and the institutions justifying it were adamant that test prep was of absolutely no use. That was a bit like NPHET insisting that masks were of no benefit outside of a clinical setting. It just rang so obviously false and has since been proven so: you hear of people repeating and jumping multiples of ten points.

I don't know much about the UCAT, but I used BMAT while practising for another type of aptitude test. BMAT is used by the top medical schools in the UK and contains a scientific section in place of the highly dubious 'interpersonal understanding' section of HPAT. The scientific section tests understanding of the maths, biology, chemistry and physics A Levels and so is very obviously relevant to a medical degree. By comparison, HPAT is two-thirds 'interpersonal understanding' (which sounds good until you actually see the questions) and 'non-verbal reasoning', which consists of pattern recognition. To have medical admissions be largely based on success in those is scarcely believable.

I've just seen that HPAT costs €152.80 which is staggering. BMAT is less than half that and is still too expensive, in my opinion.

Ah, very interesting. 10% drop, apparently.

Problem with interviews is that people can be coached what to say. There is an interview course in the U.K. that teaches you to answer “my biggest weakness is that I am very conscientious and as a result not as good at delegation. However, I am completing a professional course in leadership”. Positive->fake negative->positive. Questions are limited. And people quite literally learn off the answers. Naturally, this will favour people that can afford the rigorous interview courses. You will have the grind-schools making more money on interview grinds.

Another issue with this is how small Ireland is. There aren’t that many doctors relative to the population. It will be difficult if a parent is a doctor. Even if no conscious biases exist, there may be unconscious biases.

LC points have been shown with longitudinal data to correlate with results in college and likelihood of completing a third level course. Aptitude tests do not correlate with these variables.

If anything, I think that this year’s fiasco vindicates the traditional LC. If there is a rigorous exam with normal standards, there is more differentiation between the students and this lotto isn’t really an issue. Every year there is stories of people not getting medicine. It is a sought after course with a very limited number of places. Regardless of the system, you will have a group of good students decrying the system because they felt that they should have been awarded a place

Post edited by BettyS on

The UCAT, at least a while back, was very similar to the HPAT and had no scientific section

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I’m a bit disillusioned by it all. My son got 543 points and missed out by 12 on his first choice which went up 34 points.

He sat the exams and got 56 more points from his written papers then accredited grades earned him but others got 555 with the help of accredited grades - all of his were from written papers.

We also looked at his business paper where he thought he’d gotten a H1 but got 87% - 11 marks shy. A H1 puts him on 555. We found 9 issues. The numbers were added up wrong by 3 marks and two parts of answers were not given marks worth 10 and 7 marks (and his answers matched very closely to examiners suggested answers). Plus the other 6 lesser issues where he could have been given points. Net - he probably should have gotten a H1 and has appealed it but even if he gets a H1 it will probably be to late and those with inflated accredited grades will have gotten the places instead 😢

One year later and now look where we are. Predictive grades during Covid resulted in points inflation and now that we've gone back to traditional exams, the points "have" to be kept inflated. Numerous issues here including more random selection needed (a travesty for anyone who scores 625 points and loses out) and undermining of the integrity and continuity of the system that many of us knew would happen.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/education/2022/09/01/leaving-cert-grades-to-match-last-years-record-high-results/

"This year’s Leaving Certificate grades will be at least as high as last year’s record-breaking set of results"

"It follows a commitment from Minister for Education Norma Foley that this year’s results will be “no lower” than last year, in a move aimed at winning support among students for a return to in-person exams last June

"This is being achieved by allowing the State Examinations Commission (SEC) to apply a “postmarking intervention”, which will lift all students’ marks, if necessary. Students’ marks will not be lowered if they are above last year’s high grade profile".

"This is being achieved by allowing the State Examinations Commission (SEC) to apply a “postmarking intervention”, which will lift all students’ marks, if necessary. Students’ marks will not be lowered if they are above last year’s high grade profile".

Sounds like a load of horse manure to me. The "algorithm will fix it all lads, just trust the algorithm".

Usual story applies, strongly encourage your former students to show you their paper and see what "postmarking intervention" took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Norma Foley asleep at the wheel again.

Random selection for some high points courses is very tough for students.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Woman doesn't give a flying feck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Leaving Cert turns out to be an absolute steaming pile of shite anyway. There's a multitude of routes into whatever you want to do these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

Totally agree, the 2019/2020 cohort were the ones totally screwed over. A media savvy gang took over the whole agenda and the media jumped on it. I had one who did the LC that year and was bursting to sit it. He was outraged at the goings on and still is because he feels he would have got on better than the random number generator said. None of his peers in a LC class of almost 150 boys were asked their opinions, now they didn’t all want to do it but it could have been accommodated at the time. Although in hindsight as we saw last year those who sat it prob still got screwed over by the random number generator anyway. They should have introduced a points bonus for those who sat it, but of course that might be considered unfair by someone on twitter so couldn’t be done. They’ll find out what’s fair and unfair when they join the workforce.

3 years since the start of the Covid pandemic, there are still issues with the LC. This was predictable given the undermining of the integrity, consistency and continuity of the system.

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2023/0825/1401593-inflation-foley/

The post marking average adjustment this year is 7.9% - could this result in a situation where someone on 580 points gets boosted to 625 while someone already on 625 gets no boost and loses out if the career that they want needs 625 points and has random selection. Or does the random selection somehow take account of whether the candidate has their grades adjusted post marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Junior got 625 this year and now I dont know if he really did, I think he would have have but now its slightly devalued (not going to tell him that though)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She is clueless…

but it just goes to show you how poor her leader is that she is let away with it…they just dont see the unfairness of this points giveaway…

yes this generation of teens adore this sort of mollycoddling and associated attention and unfair massive leg up…. 7.9% the average adjustment…. Jeez….that’s significant…

Politicians and senior civil servants are on six figure incomes, have fat pensions and are generally aged 40+. Many will have benefitted from cronyism or favouritism and/or are part of political dynasties. Norma Foley's father was also a Fianna Fail TD, he had an Ansbacher account while being on the Dail's PAC - LOL.

These people do not give a flying fcuk about young people (unless they're related to them) or about the fairness of the Leaving Cert and college admissions system. Shur who needs fairness when you can just cute hoor your way to career success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

If he bust his behind and worked as hard as he could, then he did.

My daughter got top marks last year, after a year of grinds, tears, stress, late nights, oodles of notes, extra books bought, hours and hours of study, library study hours,Christmas, Easter, the lot, she worked her ass off. Don't let nobody tell me the marks she got last year were not earned.

Let him hold his head high and take credit for his 625.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The civil service is open to everyone, Norma Foley although I am not a fan had to get elected.

For me, the points system is the fairest way to do things and should not change.

While we all want our children to do what is best for themselves it's their life, even in today's society there are too many parents living through their children it's not healthy and won't help them in the long-run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Even if he went up by 5%(he probably didn't), what he would have gotten is still a great result. So I wouldn't view it as remotely devalued.

Advertisement