Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

It's a joke

you can't order power banks from amazon to Ireland (delivery via an post mostly outside Dublin) but could order a laptop with a bigger lithium ion battery than the power bank

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Amazon deliver the packages into An post directly. So all of their parcels are local Irish delivery as far as an post is concerned.

This has been the way they operated since day one.

Effectively until the truck is emptied at the an post depot in Dublin, the parcels are in full control of Amazon. Which is why you can have dispatch notification at 4pm and delivery the next day if the early Holyhead sailing is caught.

that's not true in the case of the Dublin area deliveries tho

In October 2020 , Amazon opened a delivery operations centre in Dublin which utilises local delivery companies to deliver Amazon orders . At the moment , this setup is only delivering to Dublin and the surrounding area.

It will mean deliveries on Sundays and quicker 1 day deliveries for some items for Prime customers in the Dublin area. DPD and An Post also deliver items for Amazon in Dublin and the rest of Ireland.

Customs clearance details are difference also

For Dublin area stuff done by Amazon themselves it will be cleared at Swords and not the An Post parcel hub

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/amazon-offering-free-delivery-to-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I hear what you say about Amazon and I have no dispute.

My point is that Amazon do not display customs declarations, which is why most parcels are returned.

I get that they calculate and process Duty/VAT, but so would the rest of us f given the chance.

We don't get the chance! An Post arbitrarily returns parcels citing no or incorrect documents, which is many cases

is a barefaced lie. For one of my parcels, they cut open an stole the documents to justify returning them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

No Amazon parcels are cleared at the an post hub. It is all pre cleared by Amazon as a approved retailer. Most likely by eshopworld who are world leaders in the technology and are based in swords

They deliver trucks of parcels to an post as if they are local Irish deliveries and not all Dublin deliveries are made by their direct delivery team (outsourced to Zeus logistics), a good proportion are still delivered by anpost. (Also DPD and recently ups are delivering Amazon parcels)

• Advertisement

`didn't know this! Good for Amazon, but a little unfair for the small Irish businesses just trying to make a buck!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

My daughters Diego Maradona tshirt from Ali Express has arrived in the dreaded D12 sorting centre.

Second one... Feeling despair already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

I checked my bank account this morning and on 8/9 I received my refund for the VAT I paid on the package that was subsequently returned (incl. An Post handling charge). I first emailed the eComm email on 24/8 requesting a refund and never got one response via email for the ticket (but several calls, chats, IMs assuring me that they would get to me with copy and paste responses).

Basically, anyone else in the same boat just keep at them to ensure you are refunded for any charges paid for packages not received, but just be aware that they may not notify you that you have been refunded.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I got an answer back from my supplier in Australia. Apparently many Australia Post packages have been returned, and it seems to be Ireland only. Australia Post are going to update their system now to implement the changes, so it would seem they weren't give enough advance information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Two parcels sent back to Japan - Japan Post refusing to refund any postage costs as they say all documentation was submitted correctly. One parcel returned to NZ, sender showed me a photo of the completed CN23 which was attached to it.

An Post are being absolutely useless here - its one of the most infuriating experiences I've had - scripted answers which offer no assistance, and then we're expected to tell sellers how to fill in the documents correctly, as if each one of us is a customs expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 35 theWebAdvisor

I have been sending and receiving packages from outside the EU this week and have observed,

1. Parcels from outside EU not shipped with AN Post and with a CN 22 form are getting through.
    2. Sending parcels out with An Post for the weight and value where the CN22 is the correct form, An Post is producing a CN23 label.

As people can see from images being posted by sellers online returns are having stickers requesting CN23 forms. These forms are only required for items over a particular value and weight, not all packages, CN22 will be the correct documentation for many (if not most) deliveries.

The question An Post needs to answer is

" Have packages been returned to sender where a correct CN22 has been completed, due to either an error or requirement of the An Post system to use CN23's only"

If the answer is yes and I strongly suspect it is, this is an incredibly serious issue not just in terms of online shopping but the risk it is posing to many small business's in how they secure supplies.

Really a question that need's to be submitted by either a journalist or public representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

For now, this issue can be (hopefully) avoided on the likes of eBay and Discogs where you can add a note to the sender at the time of purchase imploring them to correctly include all CN22/CN33 correctly before shipping. Along with the safety of Paypal, I think it's just best to advise every small seller of what is required at the time of payment if possible (for both you and for the seller).

The buyer really shouldn't have to act as a Customs officer, but An Post don't seem to be budging at all and the enquiries about delayed and inevitably returned post keep flowing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Where do you get a CN22? I see a tool online made for the UK, but what if someone is sending from the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

These forms are only required for items over a particular value and weight, not all packages, 

The USPS are requiring them for any value and any weight

source a postman I know who has been returning bags of them to some Irish companies , most of them were the the cheapest and smallest packet you can send to America .

All had a sticker on them saying they were missing electronic CN23

People need to start submitting complaints to ComReg. They are the regulator in this area.

If you’ve already exhausted the An Post complaint system, escalate it to the regulator:

https://www.comreg.ie/advice-information/consumer-care/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I’ve a complaint acknowledged by Comreg. Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Already posted by their reply and reposted, you can back for full post I'll just share this bit

Please be advised that ComReg would not have any remit regarding customs or the forms that are necessary with the delivery of goods. 

You may still wish to utilise An Post's complaints process as outlined below.

"An Post’s complaints procedures are available on its website: https://www.anpost.com/Customer-Charter/Feedback-Complaints

Please be advised that you must allow 30 calendar days for An Post to respond and provide a resolution to your complaint in accordance with their Code of Practice.

You should be provided with a unique reference number (usually starting with CS or WB) however if you are not provided with this ask the Customer Services Agent to confirm it.

If you are unhappy with the resolution offered by An Post you may then escalate your complaint to the Customer Advocate, who you can contact online at https://www.anpost.com/Help-Support/Customer-Advocate-Form​ "

In that case next level of complaint is with the minister:

And the various parties’ communication or enterprise spokespersons.

and highlight it with consumer journalists. Conor Pope for example .

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

It would be an awful shame if people directed their frustration towards An Post CEO David McRedmond on Twitter, who has decided to jet off for a month long vacation amidst an almighty crisis within his company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I emailed Conor Pope on Tuesday,  posted a suggestion here and tagged him in tweets

5 emails to Eamon Ryan over the past two weeks remain ignored, except for a query from his assistant.

Conor Pope may not be wise either. He writes for the Irish Times who

a) Has ignored two emails to the editor and

b) At the same people who awarded David McRedmond Business man of the year for his work with An Post!!!

Try by all means, just be aware of this!

What are the "changes" that Ireland are requiring that others aren't (if it's only Ireland returning packages) or is An Post just being more awkward as changes would be in for anywhere in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Archeotech

From what I've heard so far it comes down some problem with the labels not being correctly read by the new system, some issue around old irish customs codes and the new EU ones. Anyway packages are pilling up and An post don't have the space to store them so they just ship them back.

It basically sounds like upper management poorly implemented the new system and then fecked off on holidays to leave the mess for others to handle. Naturally frustrations are high with fingers being pointed at customs even though they're only really concerned with illegal items and fed up staff are turning away the packages and sending them back. Normally I believe An post acts as an agent and applies the customs codes themselves and then collects on behalf of Revenue.

Hopefully something will be resolved by the end of the month?

No enough just to resolve it.

Any legal professionals out there who would accept a whip round from a go fund me page and we'll all take a joint action for redress?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is it as simple as they only want to deal with the CN23 electronic version of the forms and are insisting on this for everything, even though customs regs are that's it is only needed for certain items & for all others the CN22 is ok?

Because this means less work for them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fiosrach14

I live in the US. I just sent a package to Cork for my niece's birthday. Something I've done for a number of years with zero issues. It was just returned to me. The reason given on An Post sticker given as "refused". I know 1000% this package wasn't refused. It never even was attempted to be delivered. Now I'm out $70 shipping and pretty pissed off. And I used Eircode and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Eamon Ryan isn't answering his emails on this issue. Write to your local TD's with evidence (if any) that your package has been incorrectly refused and any correspondence with An Post/Revenue and have them make enquiries. They're more likely to get these complaints in front of Ryan and McRedmond than we are it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

They keep saying that the customs rules changed on July 1st and that is the issue. But the change was the removal of the €22 euro exemption on VAT, so really the only change is the number of packages they now have to deal with I would have thought. Every €3 piece of plastic from China now has to be cleared through customs. I guess they just can't cope with the volume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 fiosrach14

So instead they lie as to why they are sending it back. My niece was looking out for that package. It wasn't refused. The fact that they lied about why it was returned really enrages me.

Advertisement