Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Did lads that applied for the reserve scheme actually get the allocation % glanbia are saying, the maths dont really add up as going of the 1800 odd suppliers that gained extra milk the average litres given out would be the equivalent of 10000 litres a months, our been able to milk an extra 15-20 cows depending on yield over the peak months, i know of alot cases where 70-150 extra cows are going to be miked over their 2020 numbers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Go renegade sell your entitlements and forget sfp.how would they enforce nitrates then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Council probably Would prob have to make change in legislation as once there is no pollution Council cant do anything afaik

If renting ground and entitlements are leased with it would be risky enough also

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I would say the only issue could planning permission for a new build require you to get an epa licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Yeah got just over 10k extra litres per month Nearly sure that was around what i applied for but had went up 30 cows this year so wouldv had to cut back numbers if i hadnt got those extra litres … on a seperate note on the talks of clover here would now be a good time to try oversow clover? Its on zerograzing ground so would like to keep nitrogen up but i suppose id want to lessen it for the clover to take off? Or just wait for spring maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yea got 75% of what we applied for

happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Got about 10000 litres over the 3 months, starting from a very low base so wasn't expecting a whole lot..I'd say everybody got the same percentage increase so again bigger lads will get more etc. Will be fine for what I have at the moment but if an opportunity was to arrive with land over the next 3 years I won't really be able supply the milk to capitalise on it.

To put in perspective I can supply around 300k litres in 2024 based on the standard supply curve, whereas If I was a recent new entrant or starting next year I could supply up to 550000 litres unrestricted. Probably the difference in making a full time living on the farm or not.

My only gripe with it, but It is what it is now, I will deal with it should something arise. Think for most lads who have already expanded they will have gotten what they need and can consolidate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ozil10

Very Dissapointed

Only got 40% of what i Applied for and i was realistic in the figures i put in for.

Expanding to 140 cows was what i have in my business plan(2 years ago) when i took out a large farm loan to upgrade facilities so i can utilise the already owned land base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Got zero increase in allowance here despite being understocked due to tb in the reference years going to have to go back down 20 cows next year by the looks of things

You musnt of owed the lad in the town enough so to be given a allocation, your circumstances should of ment you got as much as a allocation as anyone else

I'd be spitting fire in that case tbh. Dairygold afaik are expecting as many to step back / retire as expand and surveys have been accurate enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Got about 1/4 my allocation here, so let's me milk about 126 cows, I'll have about 137 to calf down so may pull the plug somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Only putting this out there …..do lads think there could of been a bit of favouritism involved or back handlers involved re these allocations ….not saying or claiming it’s true but just from reading few posts here re the allocations …some are happy some are not and one or two seemed to have genuine cases and left very disappointed …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

From what I heard some of the applications were akin to homework the dog ate. Little to no information basically I want x litres more milk and that was it.

Got just over 50% of what I applies for, which was relatively small to start with

• Advertisement

glanbia didn’t decide who got what, PWC did

feel sorry for guys that had genuine need for extra litres and didn’t get near what they wanted

Whats the fine for milking on more than allowed?

Knew that ……but ……again just an observation maby nothing Jn it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

At least 30% of the milk value I think, but then up to the cost of disposing the milk, and no information about that, so let's say everything takes the piss and oversupplied like mad and Glanbia hammer you with 100% fine on the price.

• Advertisement

Anyone else watching the cashel mart dairy sale ? Wouldv rhought itd be going better than it is 4 lots of high ebi heifers through from same owner 7/10 in calf to sexed and they barely able to pass the 1450 mark? I suppose its early but id have been thinking 1600 wouldnt be off the mark for stock in calf to sexed considering maidens were over 1000€ before even putting a straw in her last spring

Price Waterhouse Coopers one of the "big 4" accounting firms in Ireland

Watched it myself.the lad from Kildare got some money for his heifers.topped out @ I think 1720

Follow up article by brennan in journal stating that 16 million litres of additional peak milk was applied for and 5 million allocated, so less then 33% of milk sought by lads was available, their some pack of c**ts for telling lies with their original press release where they fiddled the numbers to suit their own agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Is this allocated milk due to the bord pleanala objection

Yes there is not enough processing capacity for the peak milk supply months of April may June, without the new cheese plant . With the possible exception of calving cows in June, which I believe some farms are planning on doing.. glanbia suppliers are effectively operating with quota again.

All glanbia suppliers have been allocated a quota of litres for April may and June, any milk supplied over this number will at best receive 30 percent cut to price,but more likely you will receive nothing or even be charged for disposal.

This is running for next 3 years 22,23 and 24

If I was a betting man I'd say a spinout is only around the corner, I'd say there is a strong appetite out there for farmers to take full control of glanbia ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sure who knows how long it will go on for with planning up in limbo. Could they not be looking at other options for processing the milk than waiting on this one?

Its a bollix really. That combined with the solo runs outside of ornua has shown the coops really need to up the game

Better bet would be to make lads allocated milk litres into a tradeable asset, when you see the uptake of the retirement scheme, and with incoming nitrates regulations if say 30 cent a litre was on the table for lads to quit you'd free up a lot of milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Good idea and would probably work a treat.

Production of milk becoming regulated and assetized once again…sense of déjà vu anyone?

Wasn't it always going to be the logical conclusion given the free for all in expansion the past decade, its a solution to a problem that in some extreme cases could bankrupts current suppliers going forward depending on severity of fines issued over the next few years....

Chatting hauliers their could be going to be a very tricky situation on farms even getting lorries to get milk to plants given the driver shortage and aging owner drivers giving up to as rates aren't been upped to compensate for increased diseal/running costs

Not necessarily logical Jay.

Level off the supply and make some products that are marketable/competitive to markets outside of the Sahel. It would/should add value that in theory should reflect on returns to producers.

Easy to organize it also…withhold say 5cpl from all milk supplied at peak, and return the 5c to off-peak supplies.

Glanbia in fairness where about to implement seasonality a few years ago like you've suggested and the spring calving nuts and teagasc had a meltdown so it was never implemented the same farmers that halted it and wrote in the journal at the time against it are now whinging in the journal about the current situation you can't win with lads like this to be fair.

I totally agree re leveling off-supply but its a no go area not up for debate, teagasc making up the ludicrous nitrogen bands for cows doing over 6500 litres going to classed at over 104kgs n by the department just reinforces their mantra that higher yielding cows aren't part of the solution in fact I can a doubling down now on the kiwi route with 10% solids cows with yields goat farmers would be embarrassed by

Ah hang on now Jay

Glanbia wouldn’t even pay for winter milk or increase lads contracts

we were winter suppliers and leaving it is hands down the best thing we ever did, there’s actually a break in the work load for the year

id milk less cows over going back to it

on the nitrates bands, Europe pushed the dept for different bands

it’s how it is all over Europe

teagasc simply did the banding

higher yielding cows require more feed which means they consume more N

Tegasc did the banding alright but there has snd is a clear bias against higher yielding cows …the journal is the same Lyons dairy herd just given token reports now and again ,on ebi same always holes s pocked at certain bulls and acquisitions that farmers and Ai companies using the wrong bulls …there was a need for more bands but no input from anyone outside Tegasc was gotten …..there’s lots of nutritionists that could of added lots of stuff that proves there are ways of mitigating against higher organic n been excreted by higher yielding cows …

I do t think milking thru winter or calving bunch of cows in autumn is much extra hassle …having good quality forage in yard can cut feed costs …there’s spreading the work load and also with restrictions on April/June milk by Glanbia and others to follow supply patterns will have to change unless farmers want to produce milk and pay a processor to take it off then …..some serious blinkers been on by Tegasc and few dairy advisors .last while …totally shoving one type of dairy system is biting them in the arse and for most part expertise isn’t there to advise for anything different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

I don't know about higher yielding cows excreting more nitrogen. I've cows doing between 6000 and 9000 litres and they're all eating the same. These small cows are in no way more efficient when you look at the bigger picture in my opinion. Each of them need a cubicle space now (not like before), extra shed space, extra calves (can't forget them), extra calvings, extra culls, extra vaccines, extra tags, extra tb testing, extra methane, extra slurry storage, extra headaches, extra labour. Less cows - more milk is the obvious solution to alot of problems.

Biggest issue I have with these bands is it just seems to be on Tegasc advice and on the very one sided stuff printed on the journal and elsewhere by aidsn Brennan jack kennedy etc ….reading any of there stuff it’s very easy to see there bias for one type of dairy system and lip service to other .there’s a few different people I go to for nutritional ,health advice etc and from what I can gather they know of no one on there line of work who have input into those bands ….a 4 year led in time for these bands as is just isn’t enough

• Advertisement

By choosing the current model they’re nailing themselves down to continue manufacturing the same bottom of the barrel commodity crap. That’s very shortsighted indeed. Going forward, with all the restrictions coming down the line, the CoP will inevitably increase. The Coop will guard their margins at all cost. That’s all very fine, but if/when margins get too tight due to restrictions and input/cost inflation, where do you go? Planning forward, for say ten yrs time, needs to be done now. Getting planning for new plants can take years…my crowd just opened a soft cheese plant that took 11yrs to get through planning. Originally the build cost was estimated at €50mill, but after 11yrs, the cost ended up at €80mill.

They’re going around now trying to persuade farmers to switch to organic because they don’t have enough milk to make the plant economically viable. At 59cpl, organic looks quite attractive. They’ll even give guaranteed price, index linked, contracts for 15yrs…

will you be going and calving a bunch in the autumn so?

speaking from experience, it only adds labour to the whole thing, We’re an awful lot less busy here than we were and milking a fair few extra

its streamlined the thing to no end

if I wanted to milk extra cows calving them in the autumn would do nothing for me, we’ve the same spring peak now as when we were 60:40 autumn spring calving, all I would be doing would be increasing my cost of production

You reckon a 5000 l cow eats the same DM as a 10 or 12k litre cow?

if guys want more bands they should ask for it but it’s only going to leave guys that have high yielding cows with higher N figures

I’ve no interest in calving cows in may or June to benefit the bosses in glanbia.going to stick to what suits me in spring calving herd.like my time off from early December to near end of January plus I don’t want to be calving cows when championship hurling is on.want a life not tied to 🐄

Not Glanbia supplier so dosnt affect me yet but I fully expect similar in Arrabawn sooner rather tvdn later ….yes I’d have no issue doing it and am actively considering it ….have things fairly well fine tuned and yard set up fairly good but the spring workload is relentless snd I dread to think what would happen if I had crypto etc at some stage in spring ….I can get relief Milker’s from may on ….I have been able to get help in spring so far. But don’t have scale to offer anything substantial or long term ….calving 15 or so cows September October wouldn’t overly concern me ….just need calves snd gone by December

That’s fair enough everyone has to do what suits but we have to adapt too ….if u continue as normal and supply milk in April/June that Glanbia can’t process and charge u for it would u do that ??

back to Tegasc etc again they have just shoved one system for a long time and not looked at bigger picture ….they forgot about all the extra calves (one of there highly respected advisors admitted that )they never thought about us having enough processing capacity nor having a strong market for the big flush of milk every year a compact calving spring model gives ….they didn’t think about slurry storage and enviro issues till horse bolted either (load on cows then worry about storages etc later .have fertiliser spreader on snd ready for 12 January …100 units out by April 1 )

• Advertisement

Lads ye seem to be forgetting that for the products that are returning the higher margins, butters, cheese etc its the grass fed aspect that sells it. There isn't much kerrygold made when the cows go in. Yes there are issues with processing efficiency of spring based systems, but anyone willing to milk fresh calvers thru the winter without a correct bonus payment would want to redo the figures. This is some one coming from a history of winter milk and the work load and feed involved.

Calving twice a year even if facilities are good also increases disease risk among calves due to the shorter timeframe between use of calving sheds and having different age groups of youngstock on farm, along with extra breeding, cows bulling inside etc. Not a mind if tb comes to fcuk the show. If the processors want winter milk, let them come up with a way of selling it at a price which will cover the cost of it on the farmers side.

You can make winter milking as difficult or as easy as you like. Great weather at the moment to be calving outside. Hopefully cows will be out for another 2 months and milk away off grass.

Aware of that, but would you be doing without your liquid contract? Find spring calving better myself. 5.6c from dairygold was the bonus on the volume allowed, not worth it for me with added costs involved

The way my ground is and labour availability winter milk suits me. Reading of lads having springing cows in at the moment feeding them silage etc. It's all at a cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

I said no such thing. 12k is nearly two and a half time 5 you know. Alot of the reason guys aren't getting over the 6300 litres has to do with their calving date and compactness of same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement