Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

You think that was by accident?

It is used the same way you use your anti-sexism posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,172 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeh...well you use the same 'search engine' see can you find me condoning murder.

Caught bang to rights indulging in the basest sexism...that's YOU mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I don't follow.

Pointing out when someone uses sexist language is 'Mansplaining'

I don't think you know what that term means.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kerry_man15

Unbelievable...threatening members of his own party...all TD's should be able to vote on this without threats of being ejected if they don't support Coveney. I hope some of them have the balls to support the motion and not support cronyism and corruption.

You'd love to see it but FG's hold is too strong.

It's going to take a GE, the electorate telling them yet again, they are not wanted in government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kerry_man15

Looking on in disgust...I highly doubt it! I'd imagine most would like to see an end to corruption and cronyism and would be happy to see FFG being held to account.

Those comments from Leo are just a sad attempt to deflect.

I am not sure you know what a lot of things mean. Re:mansplain - I know where it originated. Before it was determined a sexist phrase, Solnit etc.

But how it was used after it grew legs, was whenever any man spoke to a lady even if he was correctly pointing out something. It became an irritant among many, including yourself. And that is how you use the term sexism or sexist.

Maybe now you can 'follow'.

It's almost as if they are against democracy.... :rolleyes:

A man, pointing out to another man that his comments are sexist, is not mansplaining.

You are using that term in an incorrect manner and context.

It's the parliamentary whip system, that every party subscribes to. Nothing undemocratic about it.

• Advertisement

First of all, did you assume I was a man?

2nd, there are no actual rules to using the term. Like there are no rules that same sex couples cannot have a sexual relationship.

Mansplaining is a man explaining something to somebody he assumes doesn't understand something. It is entirely irrelevant what the sex of the person he is explaining to, is.

It is definitely you that doesn't understand this. It is a made up term. It has been adopted and abused. There is no longer a 'correct' way to use it, if there ever was.

Fwiw, it wasn't that you 'pointed out' that somebody's comments were sexist. You went into detail and linked to some EU graph. But it was that you decided to explain a comment about a hairdo if I am not mistaken. Choking on your own medicine?

Do we know who was at the Merrion yet? Seems as it is forgotten about, and not relevant, that the secrecy surrounding it would have gone and anyone who attended would admit it.

But that doesn't appear to be what's happening.

Democracy, the word. Means rule by the people.

If MM isn't allowing the people of his party to vote using their opinion, then it almost a dictatorship within the party. The fact that every party subscribes to it doesn't change that. They all don't abuse it.

What you are describing is an open democracy where there are no political parties and everyone has a free vote all the time.

That is not our system.

Do you ever vote for a political party? Because if you do, that is what you sign up to.

Mansplaining is a man explaining something to somebody he assumes doesn't understand something. It is entirely irrelevant what the sex of the person he is explaining to, is.

That is not what Mansplaining means.

mansplaining

/ˈmanspleɪnɪŋ/

Learn to pronounce

nounINFORMAL

the explanation of something by a man, typically to a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing

There is also a chart by the BBC

I am referring to what Micheal Martin is doing. It is a form of abusing the system. It is there to protect them also. But it doesn't seem the abuse of it atm is correct.

But so be it. I call I'm tired, and 'I was mistaken' .And apparently we all learn from them and get cured.

I don't mind being the one to have to break this to you. But 'Mansplaining' is simply a 'man' and that he is 'explaining' something, whether or not Charlie from the BBC decides to put up a graph, or Miranda states it's good for the dictionary, it is a man - explaining something. I'm not about to look through that graphic or the dictionary. But I did see in your own post:

the explanation of something by a man, typically to a woman.

So it is exactly as I said. According to your post.

I said:

However, I did notice you ignored the relevant part (to this thread) of my post.

Any answer on that? Get back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Good Morning/Evening , gosh just read back last night's / mornings back and fourth.

Firstly thank you fellow Poster"s you all know who you are 😁

Secondly Fellow Poster (you definitely know who you are) I truely sympathise not just for what must have been a bruising lesson in reality and history (previous posts) but sympathy generally for the amount of time you obsess over my contributions generally. Should I be flattered or Disturbed, I'm certainly bemused. Albeit I see a similar pattern on an other Thread we all know continues to get traction re another little wink and nod debacle.

2 immediate Expressions that come to mind 😏

"Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones"

"The pot calling the kettle black"

Was there even time to discuss the actual thread Topic or more distraction....

Anyway, time for Breakfast, I'll enjoy all the more having read back over the past few posts 😉

What are those Lyrics again from another Kylie song

"Can't get you out of my mind"

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Everything Leo says of late is either an apology of sorts or deflection, it's got to the stage we're few if any take anything he says seriously. His credibility was shaken quite some time ago, now it's just gone 😏

Well well, this latest revelation is bound to stir up more questions on timing and indeed the AG"s sudden intervention re Merriongate 🤔

"Zappone party at Merrion was against the guidelines, Martin’s Tourism officials told office of Taoiseach - Independent.ie" https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/zappone-party-at-merrion-was-against-the-guidelines-martins-tourism-officials-told-office-of-taoiseach-40839097.html

I am referring to what Micheal Martin is doing. It is a form of abusing the system.

Enforcing the whip is 'abusing' the system. Do you take that view if it's other parties like SF? Peader Tobin was kicked out of Sinn Fein in 2018 when he voted against the Abortion bill.

But 'Mansplaining' is simply a 'man' and that he is 'explaining' something, whether or not Charlie from the BBC decides to put up a graph, or Miranda states it's good for the dictionary, it is a man -

That is a hilarious definition. So anytime a man explains something, anything to anyone, in any context, THAT is mansplaining. Despite what other reputable sources say...

Who needs sources when you can just make up ad-hoc definitions on the fly, eh? Alternative facts anyone?

The thing I notice though is that no one called me out on my remark, and if they did I would have conceded the point.

Now one can learn and grow and put their hands up, or double down for the sake of 'da bantz'.

I'll still call out this stuff when I see it and when others engage in the same ol stuff like the casual sexism you engaged in when you made those comments about that FF politician.

• Advertisement

It's neither about growing, it's clearly not about the actual topics at hand, some pretty outlandish claims and insinuations made, some quite personal.

I'm clearly not alone in being quite disturbed by an obsession on others posts and rarely have I seen an objective argument put forward to argue the subject matter of this thread, instead resorting to baseless assumptions on a posters character, as someone said earlier, it demeans the argument.

I admitidly enjoy a bit of tounge and cheek, I don't think I've been intentially malicious towards any particular political or public figure on this Thread albeit there are times some politicians are insufferable.

I've been critical of FF, FG, Labour, SF in the past. I base my critism of facts rarely contradicted or proven false. I'm not a political junkie, just a citizen who sees what's occurred as being appalling and frankly disgusting. I also freely admit Leo Varadkar in particular has proven himself to be quite Devious generally and the contempt he has shown over many years followed by fake Empathy and empty apologies are frankly gauling.

Of course people on here entitled to have varying opinions and argue their points but it should never get personal towards another poster and clearly a line was crossed here, I don't believe by me.

I propose a Truce, get back on topic, as I've explained I'm not going to respond directly and I respectfully ask you do the same, agree to disagree without being so personal. Is it really necessary or productive, Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Lots of confusion. Still no idea on who was in attendance either or who paid for it. Such tight lips for such a benign and allegedly covid safety compliant event!

Morning, I wonder will the list of attendees ever be released, its clear there is a list. Whatever about personal attendees, my interest is in serving Politicians and Current Civil servants.

I get a sense certain, normally vocal TD'S have been somewhat silent and this only leads to obvious suspicion.

Perhaps someone waiting for Dail privilege to disclose details 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

So am I reading this right..? An FOI was sent to MM’s office who said records of such communications don’t exist, yet the same FOI was sent to the Dept of Tourism who were able to provide records?!? That system is truly broken!! Or MM’s is just as corrupt as the rest of them!

How dare you preach about sexism to anybody.

Nobody called you out because the casual and targeted sexism about certain women is routine here. I have reported it before but no action was taken that was evident.

Nice how you use that as some kind of weird justification. 'I didn't get caught so that makes it alright'.

Just curious, any IT wizards out there,

Re inserting media, links, a great new facility but on occasion I get error 500, not all the time, is it just a bug in the new format. Also Gifs, I've see when I try to attach one, it comes up as a link before posting as opposed to an image🤔, I've not gone further attaching gifs

Thanks 😏

Surely the Taoiseach's office has been caught covering up here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yeah that’s my reading of it….. is MM wrapped up in it more than we currently know or is he just trying to wash this away?!?

Advertisement