Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options
1808182838486»

Comments

That statistic as you quote it sounds like someones opinion. Is there any data to back up the statistic is real and accurate?

It's not actually important, just curious. More important is to ask what you think that statistic actually means if it is true? Because despite a few posts this week - mine included - explaining what inferences can and most certainly can not be drawn from this statistic - I find myself suspecting you still do not understand it's implications (few).

So simple straight forward question:

So if it is indeed entirely true that the people ending up in hospital due to the severity of their Covid symptoms are 50% vaccinated people and 50% unvaccinated people - what do you personally think that statistic actually means / tells us? And why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

It's not my opinion, it's the health minister's

Very odd that you chose to reply by A) Ignoring entirely the question I asked you directly and B) by correcting something I never once said in the first place. No where in my post did I even remotely suggest it was your opinion. In fact I did exactly the opposite in that I said you were quoting the statistic. Which is explicitly acknowledging the fact that it was someone else's opinion and not yours.

So yea - a very strange way to choose to reply to my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A month ago 1/5 of hospitalisations were vaccinated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2021/07/20/news/irish-news/covid-hospital-patients-vaccinated-hse/amp

A month later it's 50:50.

I posted here on another thread that it was my belief that the figures may not be accurate. In that they were classifying people who they didn't know/didn't ask were being classified as unvaccinated.

I still believe that. I believe it because they are not releasing the average age of the positive tests and average age of deaths. Something that they used to do every single day.

I'm not saying the vaccines don't work, they clearly help but I think it is bang out of order by the authorities to skew or be selective about the figures. It feeds conspiracy theories. They need to release all the figures they have access to. Not only figures that suit them.

The 50:50 will swing again until we get to a stage that they don't want to acknowledge that the hospitalisations are near entirely age and previous health related.

Fit and healthy, unvaccinated young people are not going into those hospital wards. We all know this but they will not acknowledge it because again, they are hiding the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Take 100 people, 90 vaccinated, 10 not vaccinated

• 5 vaccinated go to hospital for Covid
    • 5 unvaccinated go to hospital for Covid
    • Hospitalisation is 50/50 vaccinated vs unvaccinated
    • However 5 out of 90 vaccinated were hospitalised = 5.5%
    • 5 out 10 unvaccinated were hospitalised = 50%
    • So unvaccinated 9 times more likely to go to hospital (in this made up example)
    • Reports from the US seem to be saying that unvaccinated are actually nearer to 50 times more likely to go to hospital.

This made up example is just so you might try to understand what is happening. In reality it's more complicated, as Covid risk is age related, so you need to do your calculations by comparing vaccinated vs unvaccinated in all different age groups. It's when they do this that the big difference in outcomes becomes clear for each age group.

• Advertisement

You provided a source for the 1 in 5 but not for the 50:50...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

We'd need a lot of details to work out the real picture, including ages.

Here is another made up example to show you how the 50/50 can't be simply interpreted

• Say the hospitalisation rate is 50/50 vaccinated vs unvaccinated
    • Say most of the vaccinated are in their 80
    • Say most of the unvaccinated are 20 - 40 age group

This might look like a 50/50 split, but due to the way that Covid risk is age related it could be made up as follows (taking 100 people as an example)

• 50 older people (80+yr olds) in hospital, with 45 vaccinated / 5 unvaccinated
    • 50 younger people (20-40 yr olds) in hospital, with 5 vaccinated / 45 unvaccinated
    • You have equal numbers of vaccinated vs unvaccinated, so 50/50 split
    • It's understandable that more old people will be in hospital, due to severity of Covid increasing with age
    • But it's the much larger proportion of unvaccinated younger people in hospital that shows the vaccines are working to keep vaccinated younger people out of hospital.
    • This interpretation would not be possible from a simple look at the 50/50 split

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I do wonder if it's an agenda that causes people to blurt out "50% vaccinated in hospital" and leave it at that, or if they genuinely don't understand why the medical community isn't worried about it, or if they live their life by dumbed down soundbites and misunderstand everything else the same way.

The thing is, like when they were saying it was 20:80, I still believe that in the 50:50 they are classifying people who they do not know to be vaccinated as unvaccinated. That's why there seems to be a change in language with the 50:50. They are saying 50% are vaccinated. Amongst the other 50% there are probably some vaccinated (but haven't been surveyed) and some not. Maybe it's 50% vaccinated, 30% not vaccinated, 20% unknown.

I just don't think they should be playing games with this. And they most definitely need be releasing the ages of cases and deaths again. Why do they feel they need to hide this from us? They have a record of publishing stats that suit the message. The trust is out the window. If there's no trust, the conspiracies grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

They are not hiding the stats in relation to average age of positive cases and deaths.

It's all there. You're looking for the 14 day report and the weekly deaths report. All the information is there for you.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If 90% are vaccinated and half the people in hospital come from the 10% then that is 9 to 1, which is pretty much the same as in the US. The precise ratio will depend on people's ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The unvaxinated minority are really punching above their weight to achieve 50% in terms of hospital admissions given that they make up a much smaller proportion of the population. They're putting the vaccinated to shame who can barely achieve the same despite far greater numbers.

Thank you for posting that. I was incorrect. Media have stopped reporting these figures for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Like you I would like to know the median age of the unvaccinated hospitalisations / deaths v vaccinated hospitalisations / deaths - if anyone has those?

He says people admitted to ICU that are vaccinated are on immunosuppressants or in treatment for other diseases.

This has always been the question as the ICU's are full of people with such profiles. Those that cannot take a vaccine for similar reasons and end up in ICU

due to their condition, will be perceived as an anti vax number who's landed in the ICU from being stubborn and it's simply not the case.

There's zero context in this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is there a medical condition that precludes the taking of a vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Commenting on the OP. No I won't take the vaccine, and your Title of the post is wrong, they are not approved!! "Only for emergency use only" How could they be possibly approved going down the right scientific channels in 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are not under an emergency approval in Europe. Stop reading American nonsense.

(as it is, the Pfizer vaccine has full approval in the US anyway, not that the nonsense sites will mention that)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

They have a forum, and an audience of equally enlightened.

Isn't the interweb great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Advertisement