Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I think it is far better for senior success to have an outstanding group for a 2-3 period at minor to backbone a team (Limerick and Waterford senior teams are essentially stacked with players from 2013/2014 minor teams) than to be producing consistently good teams.

The Limerick team now picks itself, largely drawn from an outstanding group of underage 2014-2017. Unlike Galway, no selection headaches, no pressure to try a dozen different lads with AI minor medals. In some respects Galway's consistent success at minor brings problems. However I would not agree that Galway win minors simply by churning out big agricultural hurlers. Yes, they usually have the edge in size, but they have produced some terrific hurlers in recent years. We werent just out matched physically in a few recent underage losses to Galway, we were frequently out hurled (as were every other county in 2018-2020 minor especially)

The outstanding Offaly minor teams 86-89 essentailly made the picking of Offaly senior teams in 90s a doddle, it picked itself.

I do believe the moves to 17 and 20 have devalued the competitions (we will never see 30k at u20 finals like we did with 21s late 80s and early 90s), but also feel they will prove even less relaible than U18 and U21 did in predicting senior success.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I was thinking about the size part, agree 100% with the others being absolutely required at IC level, but I would hope that there will sometimes be an intercounty place for your 5 10 guy who has speed, skill, strength and is hardworking.

But seeing the way the game is gone more possession based it will be more difficult for these lads. The likes of Richie Hogan, Tommy Walsh, Joe Deane and others have graced the game despite being smaller than the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I did say pretty much..which leaves wiggle room 😁Those named above made up for lack of size with.an abundance 0f.the other qualities.. I'd.say richie Hogan for.one doesn't lack strength either.

Cha Fitzpatrick was another small man who was a fantastic hurler

Am I dreaming or did damien lawlor write a book after 2013 saying the modern county hurler will be 5.10 mobile wristy and a teacher..

Looking on boards.ie every county bar limerick think they are miles.off..in the dark ages etc etc

This too shall pass

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Looks like management teams will be ratified on Monday night at a county board meeting. Hopefully getting these confirmed early will give them the best chance of starting to get teams prepared for next year.

Who is going to be Minor manager and selectors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

We desperately need fresh faces and modern thinking but I don't think this will happen or won't be listened too.

I heard with colm bonnar getting the tipp job he is no longer involved with the boro so Tony browne has come in to help fanning.There is a lot of imports managing.

How are we getting on with the underage development? Ciarian muldowney is a good lad and it sounded good.I hope with all the negative talk about our terrible underage struggles we finally have the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

Reading alot of posts here over the last few weeks here and player development is mentioned alot from underage. Our two development officers Brian Ryan and PJ Ryan haven't been mentioned in these discussions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are these two in full time paid positions. I've been involved with my club at underage for the last 14 plus years and we had one, max 2 visits in that time. What exactly are their roles in all this "development".

Surely their wages just be justified by visiting clubs regularly to give teams and coaches up-to-date drills, strategies and advice to us part time coaches rather than just token visits to schools a couple of times a year.

Also, our club put our name forward to some initiative from leinster council about part sharing with other clubs a qualified GAA coach to work with 2-4 clubs locally throughout the year. Haven't heard diddly squat since

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Also, our club put our name forward to some initiative from leinster council about part sharing with other clubs a qualified GAA coach to work with 2-4 clubs locally throughout the year. Haven't heard diddly squat since

Personally I think this is a great idea. Clubs don't seem to be benefitting from the current CB coaches in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Cant help you with your first couple of questions on what Brian Ryan or PJ Ryan do but I know in relation to the hiring of the coaches Croke Park currently have an embargo on any new hires (I think because of Covid, but sure) and the county board were waiting for the embargo to be lifted before the recruitment process can begin.

They go around to primary schools (Sean Kelly also) and run the cul camps but very little after that. Compare what our coaching and games officers do to what they do in wexford and the difference is shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

What do they do in Wexford?

They employ a commercial manager. As a result, they have made a profit of over €350k in 2019 and over 500k in 2020. That money is then used to employ coaches. They presently have 13 compared to our 3. These coaches then target not just primary schools but also secondary schools and clubs. What are our coaches doing for clubs and secondary schools in kilkenny. Not a whole lot in my opinion. Heard Michael duignan on newstalk talking about Offaly gaa employing 6 more full time coaches in the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Yes eana Martin is commercial manager in wexford. carrickshock current player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

All very tight in the senior league with 2 draws and 3 point margins in the other 4 matches. James Stephens probably the happiest in Section B after beating the Shamrocks, Mullinavat beating OLG was a surprise in Section A. My guess is Dicksboro and Clara to top Section A, Graig Ballycallan and Mullinavat bottom 2

In Section B, James Stephens and the Bridge to be the top 2, Lisdowney and the Rower bottom 2.

Lisdowney had a last second penalty saved to deprive them of a draw against a Bennettsbridge side that conceded 3 goals after conceding 6 last week. Impressed with Lisdowney who have a good puck out strategy and work the ball well, good free takers too. Bennettsbridge had good performances from Sean Morrissey with 6 points and Liam Blanchfield when he went full forward but they coughed up a lot of scores by turning over possession. Lisdowney have improved a lot in my opinion and will give any team a match

I have probably got this wrong but it looks to me that after the third round of matches are played in Section B of the league, The Rower has to play Ballyhale and Lisdowney but Ballyhale and Lisdowney have also to play each other. Bennettsbridge has to play James Stephens and Tullaroan who also have to play each other. That would mean that you couldn't have the final 3 matches in round 5 on the same day? Is this correct?

Similar scenario in Section A?

Post edited by blackcard on

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

There are only 3 rounds in the league. Same as last year. Next weekends matches are last in league format. Both groups are divided into 2 mini groups with each team playing the 3 opposite. Top 2 then going into quarters as always. 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th in opposite groups. Losers of those 4 1st round games then make up relegation semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ghostumpire

Wexford GAA employ a Games Development Manager(GDM) and 3/4 Games Administrators (GDA's) and of those one is a fulltime office based. These positions are fulltime, funded by Leinster /Croke Park

There are (not sure how many) Games Promotions Officers. These are funded by the club they are attached to, by the County Board and by the GAA under the East Leinster Coaching model (similar to Dublin, Westmeath, Carlow, Meath).

They do not coach in post primary schools, only the primary schools in the clubs catchment area. The GPO's are primary schools almost exclusively.

Some clubs share a GPO, thereby reducing costs.

Wexford GAA also run a Community Employment Schools Coaching Scheme. That has been going for many years.

As I said they have 13 people promoting gaa compared to our 3. Doesn't really matter much their job title as long as they are proactive and that they are.

On the secondary schools, every secondary school in wexford gets at least 2 visits from a coach every week. My nephew was in Wexford CBS and Willie Cleary (paid coach) trained them. How many visits would Abbey Community College or Ballyhale secondary school get per year?

Why can't we also have a Community Employment Schools Coaching Scheme going into primary schools similar to Wexford.

As regards GDO,s in wexford. They are funded by the clubs and subsidised by Croke Park. County Board have no real input into them. In most cases clubs split the cost between 2 or 3 of them. Bigger clubs can afford their own. The cost is not cheap.

Talks of this starting in kilkenny in 2022 with some clubs expressing an interest. Croke Park have been down at county board meetings and met with clubs to sell this.

Wexford have been at this a few years now. We can't say we've seen a drastic improvement in them at minor level but still early days. I think the benefit in them is getting good structured supports for coaches at nursery level ie u7 to u12 to really develop the basic skills

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

Graigue won a match that they probably shouldn't have against Tullogher in Inistioge this evening. It took Graigue 10 minutes to score and by that stage Tullogher were 8 points ahead. Tullogher missed a penalty after 20 minutes and from there on they sort of stopped playing and Graigue got back into it, mostly through frees. but were still 5 points down at halftime. Before the water break in the 2nd half was very poor play, don't think there was any scores from play. Tullogher missed a few goal chances and probably should have had another penalty after the Graigue keeper completely took a Tullogher forward when he was clean through on goal. Ref was poor enough in general missed some fairly obvious frees and gave Graigue some soft frees when they were well behind in the first half. Graigue finished the match well and hit some good scores to get the win but Tullogher should never have let Graigue back into the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭forchange

After watching club hurling and Waterford coaches showing us how to hurl Cody must go

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

Danesfort beaten by triple scores, Glenmore must be flying, 3 30 is fair shooting, surprised at Danesfort but maybe they were missing a few

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

Glenmore will win intermediate handy , there coming with a serious team

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

I think it's very unfair to be slating these lads on a forum like this. As has been pointed out elsewhere, other counties seem to have much bigger numbers of coaches. Especially Wexford, I know it's a much bigger county, but that doesn't explain 13 coaches compared to our 3. Anyone not happy with their output should address it via the correct channels, i.e. bord no nog in their club or at county level.

Thomastown had a relatively comfortable win over Gowran this evening. I wasn't blown away by either team to be honest, a lot of scores coming from frees. Good to see a referee blowing for steps and a couple of thrown passes. John Donnelly played a lot of the game in midfield. To some limited extent both sides tried not to lump ball to the forwards but still work in progress

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Was meant to go to the Glenmore game today as I felt these two were both serious contenders to win intermediate but unfortunately couldn’t and had to the watch the Glenmore livestream on Facebook. Was watching while busy so was unsure if Paul murphy played but glenmore hurled some serious stuff from what I saw, a massive improvement from the week before. Was hard to tell where Richie played on the stream. As usual intermediate hurling proving to be a great standard. With everything else going on at the minute with KK it’s great to be able to read about the high quality games on here, the hurlers are there!.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I was at this game also.

Gowran struggled to keep possession from their puck out, gave away a lot of frees, and didnt make much use of their full forward line.

Thomastown played a nice fast passing game, Half back line dominated and took their scores with ease.

Always looked in control.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

I think significant parallels can be drawn between ourselves and Tyrone.

Just like there was a need to remove Mickey Harte from Tyrone to freshen things up, we absolutely need to remove Brian Cody.

Tyrone did what was needed and they are All Ireland Champions. We didn't and again watched a tactically inept, unmotivated team rain balls down on a half back that were mopping everything up.

Whilst everything said in this thread about investment and coaching at underage and grassroots level is correct, with Cody in charge things have gotten so stale, predictable and one dimensional we will not be competitive.

But I guess it is the cheap option ... Wehey.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

Also at match, thomastown had this game won early, hurled against the breeze in first half and were well on top but only scored 6 points in the second half with the breeze. Surprising that they didn't push on more. Surely something Henry will want to address. When they got there passing going they look like a good team but it broke down a lot. They could probably score more from distance as well and have the hurlers to do that. They have the firepower it is about consistency and the hunger now

Henry has made some positive changes on the backs and midfield area and they closed down gowran when they ran down the middle quite well.

Gowran seem to be short a real danger man inside to really worry teams but they are a decent team and won't go down without a fight.

You have to love having the club action back, we are blessed to have such competitive hardly fought games in Kilkenny at all grades. When you see that ballyragget slid from senior to junior and tullogher finding it tough going in junior and danesfort yesterday in intermediate as well. It is cut throat and great to see surprises happening, mullinavat written off last week and beat o loughlins this week.

• Advertisement

Also saw Thomastown this weekend. Have to say I was disappointed in them. Really thought they'd be playing a more modern brand of hurling with Henry over them. They were clearly the better team all game but struggled to put a plucky Gowran side away. John Donnelly played very deep but they never really got him into the game as they reverted to a lot of long ball instead of working it through the lines. Felt their decision making was very poor. I'm sure they will improve game on game but they have plenty of work to do still if they are going to get over the line this year. Also noticed Sean Kelly is their coach. Didn't know he was involved.

A lot of surprise results this week. Some win for Mullinavat based on last weeks form. Glenmores demolition of danesfort also stood out. Would be interesting to hear from someone who was at it as to what went on. Are Glenmore flying it or were Danesfort down numbers?

Advertisement