Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small Extension

• 10-09-2021 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23

Hi,

Just looking for a guide price to build a small extension. The house has an original extension that only goes halfway across the back of the house. I would like to extend this to the full width of the house. The area is only 6 meters square. I would like to join it to the existing tiled roof and install 3 Velux windows across the 2 joined extensions. Any ideas of approximate costings.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

My guesstimate is that you are probably talking around E25K for that sort of extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 Jinny_Cat

Thanks. I was budgeting around 15k for it. I was also considering a glass extension, however I’d be concerned with it being too hot in summer and too cold in winter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would stay away from the glass/conservatory design. They are a pain to keep clean and have heat issues as you have said.

€25K would seem to me to be more realistic than €15k too. Might even be higher depending on what structural issues might be encountered.

25K works out at just over 4K a square meter. May have to get the thinking cap back on 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭billy_beckham

€375/sq ft.....Jesus wept..when the crash comes again the industry will only have itself to blame. Price gouging at every level at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mainly due to economies of scale rather than price gouging. Build a 100 m.sq. extension and it will not come in anywhere near €375/sq ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭billy_beckham

Mainly?? 😁

So what % gouging and what % ecomonies of scale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

Cant really price small work on a cost per sqft or sqm.

But you should try to break down what you want and price it out.

Your velux windows will cost between €350 and €800, plus flashing (call it another €100), and fitting of them as well as preparing a space for them. Your looking for 3 of them so this small bit will cost between €1350 to €2800 to buy only, depending on the size you want.

If you do this for all the materials you need, you would realise what is involved.

Whats access like? have you a meter side side access? or are you expecting everything to come through the house? are you moving out of the house, or will the builder have to clean up every day?

We have side access and we will be living in the house as construction is going on. I have attached a picture of the back of the house. I was considering a small glass extension with therma glass to regulate the heat.

Advertisement