Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

Under the current circumstances it means it was refused by An Post, not your niece. It should be made clear that it was refused for customs reasons and not by the intended recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PhilHill69

As some of you may now, I have been quite vocal about what as been happening at An Post on twitter for the last couple of weeks. As an experienced international shipper who lives in the UK, who has taken time to prepare for the changes brought about recently, after many of my parcels were being returned by An Post, I have been determined to get to the bottom of what is happening.

So what do I make of this. Why has An Post decided in their wisdom to specifically use "British" on the extract taken from their website. Change "British" to another nationality and I am sure their would be outrage. Also targeting in the same sentence "smaller retailers" .......I've never been one for conspiracy theories.....but this really is making me uneasy. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I swore I saw a tweet saying the customer service email isn't working anymore have to fill out the form, did anyone else come across it?

I'm reading so much I'm not sure anymore.

I put in an enquiry into both parcels, probably be nothing on my Japan one but hopefully will find where my Russian is, it's on is "we could not deliver your post. We will try to return to the sender" for nearly 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fiosrach14

There was just the pink "Return to Sender" sticker stuck to the package with "Refused" checked. No other explanation anywhere on the package.

Lable looked like this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DY-O576X0AAGfEL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

PhilHill69

Thank you for having the courage to say what I've been thinking!

I didn't want to come across as a "crackpot" but there's more than incompetence and stupidity at play here, and I totally agree it's a hidden agenda,

Whether by An Post, an individual clique in the Post Office, or encouraged by: {enter name here} the CEO, the Government, some other political party, or another unknown? Whatever it is, there's purpose to it.

I'm an expat Londoner living in Dublin for a very long time, and I even have a Dub accent, but the racism still follows me!

One theory I had was to do with the massive shortages in supermarkets and raw materials for industries due to the shortage of truck drivers on the mainland.

Perhaps this is a "Let's **** with the Brits/Bojo" and flood him with massive volumes of returned parcels just as Christmas approaches. Don't get me wrong, I think Bojo is the lowest form of scum given that he was responsible for introducing child malnutrition, just as Churchhill invented the concentration camp, but the scum in the Irish Post Office are no better.

My money is on David McRedmond who clearly knows what's happening and why. If he doesn't why is he the CEO? If he does, why is he allowing it?

I WILL be investigating it and taking it further. I'm in the middle of a report to the Gardai for interference with mail. Those about to ridicule me don't know me. I've done it before, and more importantly, I've achieve very significant results!

• Advertisement

If you do want to try, I have found that email has gone totally dark.

Twitter I can't say as I don't subscribe.

Facebook is not bad. They take for ever and usually the answer is useless but they respond at least!

e.g. I had a delayed package of foodstuffs from the UK, which was delayed forever and then returned.

Before it was I mailed them to say, if oyu need more info to release the parcel, just tell me what it is and I'll have it in a couple of hours.

They ignored me for days and then replied when it was gone. They said three items in the package ( of about 25 items) were prohibited).

Two points:

In the old days I'd be told what they were and given the option to have them removed from the parcel, allowing the rest of the parcel through (and someone to have a nice dinner at my expense!) or they would have informed me which items so the same mistake was not repeated when I had it re-shipped!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don’t think there’s any big conspiracy here. It’s no secret that a lot of British retailers didn’t, and still don’t understand what is required since Brexit. They didn’t/wouldn’t remove UK VAT and mislead people here with .ie websites. Due to the volume of traffic coming from the UK its always going to be the biggest numbers. As I posted earlier, I have direct experience with an Australian company who have confirmed exactly the same issue with An Post, so its not only UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Has anyone ever received a response from ecommchargequery @anpost.ie ? When I asked for clear, specific information on why exactly my parcel's customs declaration was deemed insufficient, I was told you email there for further details. No response yet , should I expect one eventually or is it a lost cause?

Seller is offering to send again for a third attempt, but what's the point when they don't know what's wrong! First parcel said CN23 required but it was too late as they took weeks to return it and second one had already been sent with a CN22. They say Royal Mail assures them their packages are correctly declared. I think I'll give up now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

I've seen your tweets and thank you for keeping at it! The screenshot posted there is absolutely disgraceful. I honestly can't believe they single-out small UK sellers on their own site. Especially since I'm having the same problems with US-based sellers, both large and small! I've reported this to local TDs also. I'm guessing the reason they did that is because they're looking to pass the buck and given Brexit happened, they figured the UK was an easy target. I'm happy that it looks to have backfired if Twitter, Trustpilot, and this thread are any indication.

I don't think I can agree entirely with you. As mentioned, I'm having the same issues with US/Canada-based sellers too. That said, I think there is something else going on within An Post, and I also think David McRedmond probably does know about it. My theory is that, knowing VAT changes were coming, they tried to setup a system that is now failing pretty spectacularly and they're trying to keep quiet about it.

I don't know what the hell is going on anymore.

Received a small packet this morning shipped from the US, via USPS, sent by a friend. There was a CN22 attached to it where she had correctly described the contents and their value (under $30). There was a space on the CN22 for a HS code and country of origin but it was blank.

I haven't received any request for an admin charge from An Post, and according to An Post's tracking information, the item hasn't even arrived in Ireland yet!

According to USPS the item is delivered, but the last place it was scanned was Chicago on 1st September. 😶

The packet was pretty damaged and one corner had been opened. But at least it got here, so I guess thats one less I have to worry about.

• Advertisement

The reply I got practically asking the same thing

Unfortunately, this item has been marked to be returned to the sender. 

This item arrived in our network with insufficient electronic data submitted by the sender. Due to this issue, Irish Customs could not release the item for delivery, and it was returned back to Japan.

The Taric code was missing on the electronic data submitted which is required for the item to be processed by Irish Revenue. 

You will need to contact the sender/sending retailer directly regarding any queries concerning the electronic data submitted. 

Kind regards 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

I sent a query to this email address regarding where a package was shipped from and they were very quick to respond advising that it was shipped from Switzerland and not the EU as I had believed, so they are picking and choosing what to respond to.

Gave this a go last night, tried both parcels but probably only good for the Russian on that's in the depo nearly 3 weeks on "we'll try return it"

I'll message here if I get anything.

My friends still looking for people to tweet or retweer their experiences or replies from An Post with #NoPostAnPost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Gonna try ask this again, I think my post got overlooked. Am I safe to buy something via AddressPal from USA.? Seeing as AddressPal is An Post they should have paperwork correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭AnRothar

From anPost website.

VAT & customs charges with AddressPal deliveries

All AddressPal deliveries (UK & US) are subject to Irish Revenue customs rules.

If Irish Revenue have applied customs charges to any of your AddressPal items, we will send you a text message and an email providing a unique reference number specific to your order. Using the reference, you can pay the charges on our website here or in any Post Office.

A €3.50 An Post customs processing fee will be applied to any customs payments. This is in addition to the AddressPal delivery fee.

So it should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RollingSun2000

El Fenomeno told me his experience with AddressPal on page 13. He says his AddressPal deliveries were fine.

However, I was talking to someone on twitter who got the email from AddressPal to pay his fees, but he never got a confirmation email. Eleven days later and he was still waiting for the package and still no word. An Post eventually replied to him on twitter, but I don't know if they helped him.

I also was interested in trying AddressPal for sending things from the UK. I read in somewhere (not sure if it was Reddit) that apparently for the sake of customs and VAT, AddressPal estimate the value of the items (and tend to overvalue). You then pay them the VAT and fees. It doesn't sound like it would benefit the receiver, so be prepared for some strange VAT costs.

A courier like DPD would be your next option, I suspect they do the same with estimating the value and calculating the VAT, plus their own fee which might be €10.

You might want to consider finding your items in Europe instead. Or Northern Ireland. I think the new VAT regulation doesn't apply to Northern Ireland when mailing within the Island (to avoid a hard border).

Which make me wonder, are people in Northern Ireland seeing their packages being sent back to UK (or other Non-EU countries) too?

• Edit 1 to add links
    • edit 2, I mentioned DPD as a courier. I overlooked that you want to import from the US. Fedex or DHL might be a better option.

Various members have suggested Joe Duffy / Liveline.

Some have emailed hm ,while others have tried phoning in with nobody getting back to them.

I just lobbed a grenade into the Liveline office and hope it gets some kind of response:

Here's what it say:

Joe Duffy,

It seems your Facebook Liveline pages hasn’t been

updated after February 2015, so I’m not sure you’ll get this.

Anyway let me take the risk!

I’m not exactly a fan, it just happens that a few times a week I’m

in the same room as regular listeners.

I have to say I’m not a fan of Ivan Yates either, but the man did have some

valid points.

The “ABOUT” section of the Facebook page talks about the great crusading

“Liveline with Joe Duffy” fighting for the downtrodden, oppressed and

victimised but nothing I’ve heard convinces me other than your need

for programme material and ratings.

I began actively listening to many of the “serious” topics and all I heard

was guest callers being shouted down by you and shut down quickly

and completely because of your excessive nervousness about being

taken to task about an “errant” comment or even a simple but passionate

criticism, on your show.

You clearly like “ultra safe” contributions free from challenge or God forbid,

lawyers! The programme is conducted in such a bland a safe manner that

it makes absolutely no contribution to the unfortunates who call for your help.

The latest case in point, in which I have a personal interest is the shambles

being made by An Post in their processing of non-EU parcels to Irish

individuals and businesses.

You have been emailed and telephoned numbers times and you just continue

to ignore it. My belief is that you’re too scared to upset many of the people

involved directly or those maintaining the media silence around the subject.

A phrase I’m not prone to use, but appropriate here is:

Joe, stop claiming that Liveline is so brave and egalitarian

or grow a pair and make it so!

I was replying to an email they sent me during the week for the board of management

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I got a parcel from Japan yesterday through Addresspal UK. I had to pay VAT on it and there was a CN23 form from addresspal stuck on top of the CN22 that the sender put on the parcel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A mixed bag on the postal front over the last couple of days. I got another notification from Buyee that a parcel had been returned to them and a notification from another proxy called DeJapan, both saying Rejected by Recipient.

I got a box from Japan this morning via Surface Mail which seems to comesthrough Parcelforce in the UK before it gets to Dublin. I wonder does Parcelforce supply the electronic customs information or does surface mail go through a different sorting process altogether. Anyway it might be something to bear in mind for bulky stuff that you don't mind waiting a quarter of a year for.

I also got a parcel from buyee through regular air mail yesterday. I noticed a common feature in the 4 airmail parcels I received last week was that they all had a single item in the parcel whereas all the parcels I've had sent back have had multiple items. Is that just a coincidence or are An Post leaving through some parcels that are easy to manually check and punting everything else back?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

How would one go about shipping something from Japan to Ireland through address pal? I’ve never heard of it before. Thanks

• Advertisement

Assume they just post it the AddressPal address lile you do regular post with whatevers needed for UK post

Would using AddressPal for a UK delivery solve this problem of insufficient electronic customs declarations?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Using address pal from Japan would incur UK customs and duty, how would u get around that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

AddressPal have an address in US and UK so only available in those countries.

Stopped using them a while back as the benefits aren't what they were.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

AddressPal thread is here, please keep qustions and comments on it on this thread: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057516584/addresspal-lockers-an-posts-parcel-service-see-mod-warning-first-post#latest

AFAIK, you will be paying UK VAT/Duty as well, then Irish VAT/Duty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Ordered an item from the UK last week. It was in the dublin mail centre from Tuesday morning and tracking updated Friday night to: we could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender".

Am glad I came across this thread as I didn't realise the scale of the issue as I rarely order items online and was at a loss to know why the item couldn't be delivered because of course they didn't say why. I had intended ringing an post customer service tomorrow but not sure now if there's much point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Sorry, just one last comment to answer this. I did get charged UK vat on about 33% of parcels in 2020 but haven't got charged UK vat since brexit at the start of the year. Not to say it can't happen, it just hasn't happened to me in 2021 with a couple of dozen packages. Before brexit I rarely got charged Irish vat on addresspal packages but since Jan 1 I do normally get charged irish vat collected by An Post after addresspal has searched and re-labelled packages.

To answer Hammerheart, Touch Fuzzy and Hippodrome, as Touch Fuzzy said I just enter addresspal as an alternate address. it kept things moving for me when Japan Post had shut down AIR and EMS to Ireland for a long time in 2020-21 as a less expensive alternative to DHL/Fedex. I won't reference AP here again, thanks.

Just bear in mind that the tarrifs are very much meant to make shopping overseas, which for us means beyond the European Single Market, expensive and unattractive.

Likewise the UK imposes very similar tarrifs on imports. So they're quite limited to domestic retail online.

The UK left the EU and the single market, so it's not going to get any easier, unless the UK signs a very much more comprehensive trade deal.

I don't see this situation being resolved tbh. This is just how it's going to be and we'll need to adapt our shopping habits a lot more than at are doing so far.

Flooding An Post with small packages, all of which need customs processing, isn't really going to be viable. I think that's what you're seeing right now. They're obviously not able to cope with the volume.

Also the way international post works is weird. The receiving carrier often isn't paid. So the financial incentive isn't going to be to process huge volumes of inbound packages at a loss.

I could see a bit of a serious issue developing as it's quite an unusual situation.

I could see the Irish situation with the UK being very similar to the US Postal Service problem with China. Huge volumes of small parcels and traffic being largely one way.

But the tariffs aren't actually the issue for the overwhelming majority here! I'm more than willing to pay the VAT and Duty on my item. The tariffs deter me from ordering outside the EU, but if something is not available from an EU seller then I am happy to pay the charges to get it elsewhere. But I expect the relevant bodies to have a proper functioning system in place to ensure I can pay the charges and get my item promptly. They can blame the non-EU sellers for not properly understanding the requirements all they like, the fact is that a system that has thousands of people unable to navigate it successfully, is a total failure in terms of design and implementation.

• Advertisement

What I'm saying is the Irish situation is highly unusual in the sense that we have huge volumes of inbound non EU small parcels due to Brexit.

Most EU postal administrations have small volumes of this kind of item.

The systems aren't designed for it and aren't clearly aren't working.

The way the international postal systems are setup, inbound mail is basically dumped into the recieving carrier on the basis that there was reciprocal outbound mail balancing it out. That isn't the case with online shopping, as we don't have a major online retail sector that's exporting to the UK. It's very much about economies of scale, so typically flows are very much one direction only.

At the end of the day, the issue is the systems aren't designed for this and Ireland is finding itself in a very outlying situation due to suddenly having huge volumes of small parcels that all of a sudden are non EU international traffic.

I suspect there will need to be a bilateral arrangement between An Post and the Royal Mail - otherwise this is going to just continue to be a mess.

The couriers have far better systems because they're not based on the Universal Postal Union rules.

I'd be curious to know how USPS and Canada Post operate as they've similarly unbalanced, proximal markets for online shopping and similarly complex customs and tax differences, but they've always been like that.

Our situation has arrived in a way that's disrupted an established, free flowing integrated single market in an era where online shopping is booming. There are very few, if any, precedents or example to learn from tbh

Advertisement