Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Just as was getting used to high average production and the heat itself we are bought back to Irish weather reality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Yeah. It’s been quite the drop off. Fun while it lasted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Big drop off but at least its something today.

Rain falling and very glad to see it. My veg was starting to struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Yeah. No point saving all these trees if there’s no rain for them 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

38 yesterday, 6.8 today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭harderthanf

25KW today.

6.8KW array, south facing, in south East.

Big drop in recent days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

From 43 --> 13 😔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

6kw system .. not great yesterday .. better today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

3.24kw sysyem

Got 9.2kw today.

Topsy-turvy August continues.

8.2 on Sunday, 25.4 on Monday.

In better news, since the battery went live, the numbers are considerably different.

First 4 days I purchased 34.5kWh and exported 17.1kWh.

Last 5 days I purchased 24.5kWh and exported 0.8kWh. And the purchase was all by timed overnight charge that in hindsight I didn't need.

So 3 of the last 5 days, I've purchased nothing from the grid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭championc

I assume your DIY Powerwall will possibly cover you for almost 48hrs (with PV covering the base load during the day), so you possibly only need to ensure you start each day with about 35% SoC, which would get you to midnight that night.

So you could setup charging for each night to charge to 35% around 05:00, so if it then uses grid charging, it would be at night rate, and be a minimal amount too.

So it's all about finding the sweet spot of barely needed SoC to get through the day to midnight

Not sure how to set a charge % target though. From what I see so far I only have a time & rate setting on the Solis. That's no good in terms of reaching 35% by 5am as you'd be starting at a different rate each evening.

For now I'll just work off the average production. August daily average is about 20kWh, September 14, October 9, November 4.5 and December 3.

So I'll set a timed charge for overnight starting probably mid September to add 5kWh per night, then increase that gradually into the winter and by December I'll just fully charge each night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

The only way to configure % target is through automation and modbus. I had it done and working on Solis. But I do not think this will be needed in dark seasons as your base line most likely will be always the same. So you just need to know how long it takes you charge from baseline to 35%. With a bit of testing it should not take long.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

Whilst not the same approach, I have found "disabling" the battery during off peak hours will keep the battery SOC up, so you start the following day at a higher %.

At least it saves some of the inverter losses by not discharging/recharging the battery and you only consume what the house needs during off peak.

I have a Solax hybrid and DC battery.

As @Niceday20 says, you could forget completely about charging overnight, but charge with 0000w between 11pm and 8am (when the clocks go back) which will stop it discharging during those times and will then pull from the grid.

Once the clocks went forward, I stopped all grid charging, and it's worked out quite well. I'll only resume night charging once the clocks go back

Mad day today, baking sun one minute, torrential rain and thunderstorms the next.

These pictures were 30 minutes apart...

Then half an hour later...

Anyway, the result was 26kWh but a roller-coaster curve, right down to 120w at the lowest.

1kWh exported, nothing imported.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

This last week in August will almost make up for the 3 bad weeks!

Unloading barley into the shed still doesn't make a dent in it. (Just slowing the battery charge a bit!). Only one auger run at the moment, might get one more load in before I need to start the second.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah, decent day yesterday, 30kW, most into the EV, thought Aug was going to be a wipeout so nice weather this week for panels (and me!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yep my car was down to 30% charge in anticipation. Have put in10 kWh both Monday and Tuesday and likely same today and rest of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

If its any use, here's the next 72hr forecast from Met Eireann charted. Based on my location in South Dublin. Looks like tomorrow will be down from today, but Friday back to today's levels.

Happy to chart (within reason) anyone's location if you'd like. Just give me the your nearest town/city, just takes a min to fire it through a script I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

15.7kWh

Wexford

S facing

2.5kWp

Looks like the "sunny south east" for the next day or two, in fact most of Ireland barring Dublin from what I can tell.

Mileage will vary :-) but typically as much as I like bashing them for the longer term forecasts, the mathematical models are usually reasonably decent in the 24-48 timeframe.

Nice smooth curve today.

Last August I purchased 330kWh. So far this August I've purchased 110kWh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Does not look smooth in my place but have been living of grid for 3 days now.

A rip roaring 4.2kWh on Friday lol

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

3.3kWh here from 4.2kW system. Worst day since early march. Never brightened up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Horribly gloomy

Doesn't look good for tomorrow (Sunday) or Monday either in Dublin. Hoping my spark will come on Monday and wire me up and get me running. Been waiting like a 5 year old on Christmas morning.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Got my 6kWp system hooked up yesterday on my new build house and looking forward to be pouring over graphs and trying to get the best out of it.

My system is in two arrays one face directly south and the other is more or less south just about 15deg turned west and both at angle of 40deg. My location is just south of Cork City.

It went live yesterday at lunchtime and I generated 14.4 kWh for the half day...it was very cloudy but I think that was respectable?

Not going into the best time of the year for solar but every bit helps

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

The 40deg slope will massively help your winter output

Advertisement