Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Shocking penalty in an all Ireland. The goal chance they messed up in the first half had a feeling similar to the goal Kerry butchered against Tyrone.

With Kerry and Dublin gone, that was a shambles today.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Don't kno where to start. They bring on mcshane early when ahead . We take off o hora when getting into game . Walsh and o shea are forwards who can't score . Loftus was left in too long when poor. He brings on Flynn who can't score. Orme expected to perform when played only a few mins for mayo before. They planned for every period of today's game and looked like fully drilled . We didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Complete non performance really....shocking amount of missed chances.

Hard to know if Tyrone even played well tbh but they did enough to win so fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Total disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

McHale when played in right position can score . Horan takes a dislike to certain players and alwys gives them less time on pitch than others. O shea did not deserve 70 mins today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

DOC shuda taken the pen. Needed a cool experienced head not a young lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

I could never understand why Mayo let Rochford go to bring Horan back, it was a mistake, Horan doesn’t seem to learn.

Alright feel free to say it a few dozen more times so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I didn't see a game plan at all there today. Started brightly but seemed to panic when a few turnovers resulted in Tyrone scores.

Mentally not there when it comes to finals. It's a hard one to take when they missed so many opportunities against such a tight defence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

i think a mayo lost the game- could have been closer at least at the end - by going into contact and holding onto the ball until there was three or more Tyrone players around the Mayo player. This was happening frequently throughout the match and mainly between the Mayo full and half forward line. The end result in most cases was the ball being held onto too long, the ball being turned over or the ball was thrown. This played right into Tyrone’s hands in that it could buy time to get its defense fully organized in case it is needed to defend further and take the wind out of the Mayo sails.

I’d say that Tyrone practiced the above to the n’th degree to make sure that it would have a high rate of success.

i cannot understand why Mayo ‘play around more’ with the ball, move faster towards the Tyrone goal and release the ball as soon as two ,max, tacklers are drawn. Mayo’s best chance for getting scores against a team like Tyrone with the way it’s defence was set up was to run quickly at its defence when they break out and not give time to Tyrone to get fully organized.

Take me off the list there, Yop.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

That was…. Well. Certainly not our finest day. Not a good day. Although both teams made mistakes Tyrone beat us pretty thoroughly in the end. And that’s despite giving us plenty of rope to haul ourselves back into the game. We just didn’t manage to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I see some over on the general thread seem delighted we've had the heartbreak again this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Commiserations guys...I never thought you'd lose it today. Your fans are fantastic and so disappointing that your players left you down again... hopefully you'll be back..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gutted for you all but seriously... You beat yourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

There will always be a few. Genuine fans and GAA people wont be gloating cos we all know how it feels to lose, either following our counties or from playing the game and losing club finals.

Very hard luck to Mayo. Nothing else to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

so disappointing.

What is it with our lads carrying and soloing the ball into contact, against Tyrone of all teams, but this has been happening all year.

Loftus missed an absolute sitter , scuffing the ball when ball when all he had to do was put his foot through the ball.

His confidence dwindled from there onwards and should have been hooked long before when he was..

Think O Sheas times up, as hes holding back the team imo, hasn't the legs or stamina ,and lacks aggression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Too much sentimentality in Mayo. Rochford had his chance and wasnt able to do it either. Seems to be a backroom team of coaches and former players who know nothing but how to loose an All Ireland final.

Don't know at what point Mayo abandon the in house coaching set up and go for an outside perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The reason O'Hora came off is some eejit with a laptop said his gps numbers were high or something like that. Same old Mayo.

• Advertisement

I keep starting to type something and then I just give up.. I'm since 1989 waiting for my mother to see a Mayo team win an all Ireland.. obviously she's waiting much longer but 89 is the first heartbreak I remember.

Disappointed for you all. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see a Mayo team lift Sam.

The game passed Diarmuid O Connor by

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Ah.... Where to start....

No plan, no cohesion, a general lack of energy. Poor and late substitutions.

I don't want to take away from the dedication and commitment of anyone on that team, as that's never in question, but... that performance on the biggest of days is inexcusable.

Onwards. Mayo for Sam 2022. 😊 Feels a bit sad writing that tbh. 😭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

No gloating from me but biggest red flag was hearing Tyrone called an 'underdog' which was a miscalculation imo. They beat Kerry not by a fluke but because they were superior. Better than the cynical-defensive Tyrone of a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Rochford made plenty of mistakes himself eg 2016 but was also unlucky. Don't think you can blame Horan too much for today. 4 of our starting forwards and our 2 midfielders didn't turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

As a Kerryman, it's reminiscent of our semi final, taking the ball into the tackle, missed goal chances, going for Goals when the point was the sensible option.

But you have to put a lot of that down to the pressure Tyrone exert on you. Their ability to close down attacks is a skill Kerry desperately need to learn and probably Mayo as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

while i know you are all gutted tonight think you can still get one as it looks open enough over the next year or two .The people who thought there was a bit of an over the top reaction to the semi win might have had a point you were still in the game late on but lacked the composure again with some poor shots taken in haste .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

If Mayo had buried that goal chance in the first half i think they would have pushed on, it was a shocking miss, the penalty was just as bad , looked like he never took one before.

Didn't take the chances that would have given them the mental edge when it mattered. Instead each miss swung the game towards Tyrone.

• Advertisement

Not that it matters now but did anyone get a clear view of the red card incident? Wouldn't have thought Ruane was the type to instigate that sort of thing but maybe frustration was creeping in at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DavidL22

He was **** **** all day - wet the beds - bottled t again

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Harsh on the penalty, I know a miss is a miss but it was well struck and looked like he was placing it in the top left, only a lick of paint in it as they used say. Keeper wouldn’t have stood a chance had it been a few inches more on target.

That said, even if he had buried that I still think Mayo would’ve lost. Desperate performance compounded by some odd decision making and some players letting themselves down in many respects. I’d be of the “hard luck, well played and ye’ll be back” school of thought to Mayo fans after a loss but not sure what to say after that muck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very annoying that a replay wasn't shown - don't think so anyway - yet we missed 7 of 8 kickouts because of..... bloody replays!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well folks, gutted for you today. Unfortunately, Tyrone had a better game plan, and their players executed it to a higher standard than what you guys put out, and that's that really.

Scant consolation, I know, but this Mayo team will be back. I'm not sure what you guys need to get over the line, but you've got the players to win it.

They need a different game plan anyway.. one that isn't based on marauding defenders having to turn back on themselves as soon as they reach the opposition 45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Mirrors the late sending off against Kildare in 2018. Def need to work on composure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

The penalty miss reminded me of Rashford in the euros final where he does the stutter in the run up in the hope the goalie will go early in one direction. The problem is when the goalie stands his ground, the kicker has lost any momentum to strike with power, so must place it very accurately which is very difficult when you've taken your eyes off the ball to watch the goalie.

It seems like an unnecessarily high risk option when the goalie he was facing was no Donnarumma, far safer to pick a corner and strike it hard and accurate.

You'd wonder it wasn't something rehearsed and discussed in training.

Sky showed a replay. Tyrone man started it. Bit of pushing and dragging but Ruane threw the first clear punch. What is bizarre is that the Tyrone man gave him a pretty clean punch back too but only got yellow.

Definitely a punch each thrown, definitely 2 red cards. Not sure how ref came to yellow and red for the exact same offence but he did

Did anyone hear the Aidan o 'shite' comment from Ms Cantwell. Going a bit viral on twitter this evening. Might be a resigning offence, but this is RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

A resigning offense for a slip of the tongue? If you say so

• Advertisement

I know many O'Sheas. Never accidentally called any of them them O'Shite before. But maybe I'm just professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Frieudian slip on today's performance perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

I wouldn't blame Ruane! The game was realistically gone at that stage

Have a look later on, from what I saw of the replay Ruane threw two punches and connected with them both and then Kilpatrick reacted with one, that could’ve been the refs logic for a red and a yellow? Both should’ve just saw yellow, not a whole lot in it, neither of them dropped on the deck crying trying to get the other lad sent off which was nice to see.

Yeah, I watched it a couple of times and agree with your assessment of it. Its 2 definite reds. I agree, a yellow a piece would have done as it was just 2 lads not wanting to give an inch but as the rules are, it was 2 definite reds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Mayo thought they had the All Ireland won when they beat Dublin - at the time that were jumping around and taking selfies as if Sam was handed out that day.

A football team has no realistic chance of winning Liam in fairness.

thats a dreadful and very unprofessional error to make by Cuntwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

Does everyone realize how difficult a Gaelic football penalty is. The man hit the post. You can’t get any closer to scoring. Having said that I would have loved lee Keegan to have taken it what a player that man is thought he was outstanding. Don’t know where next for Mayo heartbreaking stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Ha dunno what i was think there, Sam obv, but the point still stands, Mayo thought they had the all Ireland won when the beat Dublin - they celebrated it hard. And they probably underestimated Tyrone to that extend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement