Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slander case against foreign pub chain...

• 11-09-2021 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I got balled out of it by a barman for using the self-service coffee machine in a Cork city center pub recently.

Then the same barman accuses me of trying to leave without paying. Again, loudly in front of a whole crowd inside the pub.

2 doormen had told me to use the coffee machine. I was on my way up to the machine to pay.

I told this particular barman where he could go. And then left.

I immediately described my experience in a google business review. Then reported this particular bar to the guards for repeatedly serving underage patrons alcohol.

Ordinarily I would just leave it at that. But this particular bar is a foreign chain whose owner was rabidly pro-brexit.

This crowd are also expanding in Ireland and putting local bars out of business by undercutting prices. I'd only ever use them for the odd cup of decaf mostly.

What are my options here if I want to sue these guys for slander? Any advice would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

Firstly, what evidence do you have that the business was serving underage customers because that is a slanderous allegation towards them on your part and unless you have good evidence that this is happening. I would seriously consider editing your Google review to remove any reference to this, them being a large chain can afford good lawyers to defend themselves from slanderous allegations so save yourself any grief and don't let your emotions get the better of you.

Secondly, I don't see how the owners' political views come into this discussion, and many would agree with me, with the view that Irish publicans are the ones helping put themselves out of business by continuously overcharging customers and refusing to modernise to suit younger crowds.

Maybe next time you would be better served getting a coffee from a coffee shop or a normal shop.

Edit: just read that you reported them to the guards for allegedly serving underage customers. I hope if the accusation is untrue the Guards charge you with wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Drink less coffee would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

So you frequent an underage bar?

And, do you only shop in places owned by Irish people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What do you mean you were on your way to the machine to pay? You only get a cup after you pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Calm down rethink your Google review (unless you have some serious evidence). They can charge whatever they want (as long as not against the law). Pubs with seve your own coffee? In any place I have seen those mostly coffee shops you pay straight away

• Advertisement

Oh, and to actually to answer your question. If you are serious about taking legal action against them. Then speak to a solicitor. No one here can help you better than they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Right. I didn't accuse them in so many words.

I used to teach kids. I know the difference between a 14 year old and an 18 year old.

Yeah sorry. I used the coffee machine. Then went up to the card machine to pay.

Personally I feel comfortable voting with my debit card. For me, the owners political views are a real factor.

I happen to like the traditional Irish bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Haven't been in that chain in a while but they used to be quiet strict on IDing youngsters, being a big chain they are less likely to tolerate and have a lot to lose via bad pr stopping other licence applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm sure they'll miss your 1.25 you were trying to avoid paying for coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Yet you went in there, were you looking to find fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Well tbh I would stick to using the Woodford rather than the Linen especially if you're going to report things to the Garda that would appear to be aimed at causing them maximum trouble without ( I assume ) any evidence that could be construed as not liking the UK connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭893bet

My advise would be to sober up and sleep it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dara is clearly a muppet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Notmything

The owners political views were such a factor you still went in to buy a coffee, real man of principle you are

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lostpas5235

And was a regular customer, according to the review. He doesn't like The Roundy either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Or three. So much so that he took the time to leave 1 star reviews on about 5 different branches.

He certainly doesn't like Three, I've reported his reviews of Three to Google hopefully they will remove them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This story has more holes in it than Swiss cheese , hence my initial post, Zero options re slander (which is technically not even a legal term in Ireland) 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

His own business has only 3 reviews on Google, all 5 star, I see he gave the same chain a positive review on Facebook a couple of years back, seriously find something else to focus on and just review with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So zero actual evidence. Quite libellous coming on here and slating the chain if, “I just know they are underage” is your only evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

The owners political views are of no relevance to you.

"It is a foreign bar" - so what? You a bit racist there? Again, nothing to do with you.

"They are putting local bars out of business" - Competition? Again, feck all to do with you. Have you started on Aldi and Lidl yet?

As for the rest of your post, it comes across as a delusional vindictive rant.

But as this is legal discussions, maybe someone can review it properly and give an informed opinion. But After Hours is another forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, if he wants to bring defamation proceedings, he'll be relying on the fact that the barman accused him, in front of witnesses, of attempting to leave without paying - thus causing those witnesses to think less of him. That's the essence of defamation.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that he thought to take the names and addresses of any of the witnesses before leaving. I don't know how long ago the incident occurred, but it may be difficult to trace the witnesses now. So there's your first problem; if there's a straight conflict of evidence between him and the barman - which is likely - how is he going to prove that his version of events is the correct one, with no independent third party witnesses? And how is he going to show that his reputation was in fact damaged, if there are no witnesses to say what they made of the accusation levied by the barman?

His second problem is the comments that he has posted in this thread. They are pseudonymous, obviously, but there is enough detail in them that, if he does launch defamation proceedings, the defendants may well be able to identify him as the author of this thread and point to his obvious bias against them on the basis of their owner's foreign nationality and regressive political views, and to the fact that he has made an arguably malicious criminal complaint to the guards about them. They will suggest that his version of the relevant events may be coloured by his obvious antipathy towards them, and therefore lacks credibility.

So, all in all, on the basis of the information given I do not think that defamation proceedings have a great prospect of success here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I know I am new here and all of that but how is this thread still allowed to remain open? The OP himself has made a slanderous allegation and potentially admitted to a crime (falsely reporting a crime to the Gard's)

Just curious that's all.

Advertisement