Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021/2022 Wildcard thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

This is my current GW4 WC team with 0.1m left

Sanchez

TAA Alonso Dier

Salah Torres Benrahma Traore

Ronaldo Antonio DCL

Bench: Foster, Gray, Livramento, Williams

Norwich do have a great fixture next week but I just cant see them keeping many CS this season.

Currently considering Williams to Omobamidele & also Benrahma to Raphinha for some Leeds coverage with their great run of fixtures starting next week so it might save me a FT

Post edited by wanderer100 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭remoteboy

1 hour to go. Too much time for messing. Might close the laptop. Here’s where I’ve landed.

Front three will start every week regardless of fixtures. Getting on Ronnie early before the price rises kick in.

Tried to go with a decent fifth mid for when Torres gets rotated. Odegaard in because of ESR illness. Let’s see how he gets on.

Two cheap defenders to be called on if needed but planning to go with Wolves and Leeds each week because of upcoming fixtures. Alonso is a placeholder for James.

Not happy with my keepers. Sanchez hasn’t impressed me and Raya’s fixtures take a nasty turn soon. Need to look at options there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'd ditch your two 4.5's and get Sa and a 4m.

Then maybe change Marcel to White if ya don't fancy double Wolves (although i wouldn't be put off)

I did the same. Might save me that dreaded red "-0.1m" someday

After 2 weeks of tinkering, I ended up making less changes on my Wildcard than expected.

GK - no change - Sanchez

DEF - TAA and Shaw unchanged. Digne/Stones/Tsimikas became Reguilon and two 4m subs

MID - Salah unchanged. Barnes/Greenwood/Pogba becomes Jota/Torres/Gray

FWD - DCL/Antonio unchanged. Ings becomes Ronaldo.

Probably a wasted wildcard when I look back at it, apart from saving quite a bit in price drops. Basically turning a strong bench into Ronaldo. Thought I was going to go for major surgery to fit in Lukaku and Ronaldo. There's very little to choose between Jota/Greenwood/Torres/Raphina, I suspect we'll be bouncing between those 4 all year.

• Advertisement

Very nearly did that but I’m always anxious about having a non-playing keeper. Ditched Sanchez for Bachmann in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I hope you kept Marcel. I took him out today but had the same front 3 as you so this was the first time I've ever had a wild card murder my old team.

I need to take my own advice. I went with Sais in the end.

Only saw this now but Tuchel admitted that Chillwell wasn't match fit for the first 3 games just before the Liverpool game. He arrived back after Alonso and wasn't at the same level.

I did indeed. Delighted with that haul. Tbh if I could have afforded Semedo I’d have gone for him instead so proper lucky break there. Wish I’d gone for Sa and a 4.0 though. Last minute goal for Brighton destroyed my Brentford cleanie.

• Advertisement

69 with Salah and Gray to go. Feels like the first time in an age that my wildcard delivered immediately.

I have Raya too and also got 69 points, other than injury time for the 3pm games it was nearly a perfect wild card. I'm up to 995 now in the world with just Salah left. Played the bench boost already though as I wanted to get off to a good start as I hated last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I didnt go for this in the end. But i wish I had and if I had Bruno instead of kane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Well done. To give some balance, I got 34 including a -2 from captain Antonio and a no show from Mount. A wasted wildcard since I took out Bruno and Pogba to fit in Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I know you know a wildcard is for more than one week. Too soon to say wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Technically, it is for one week. I can't play it again. (unless you are kev with infinite WCs). Once your team is confirmed, that's it. No point in looking back.

By next week, everyone will have Ronaldo so my initial hopes for a gain through him being somewhat of a differential are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Got to judge a wildcard over at least 3 weeks to say it’s a waste or not. 5 weeks out you’ll have a good idea if you messed it up or not. Can’t tell after one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

WC played. Captaining Bruno yesterday seemed to be a nice differential (prior to Salah playing) to make up for no Ronaldo.

Pulled trigger on it yesterday as had a number of issues. (Antonio, Mahrez, Chambers (don't ask), Perica. Wanted Ronaldo/Lukaku)

Sanchez/Steele: Given the fixtures, Brighton defence still seems alright for a 4.5

White/Shaw/Marcal/Ayling/Livramento: White is cheap and Arsenal's fixtures are decent for a run. Shaw showed off his attacking threat yday and United have a decent chance of CS's in the next few fixtures. Marcal I'm annoyed with as wanted before yesterday so looks like chasing points, that said Wolves fixtures upcoming look good. Ayling is a decent 4.5 choice and Livramento a starting 4.0

Salah/Jota/Greenwood/Raphinha/Gray: Salah is Salah. Jota is a slight risk but they've some nice fixtures coming up. Greenwood is also a risk but think Ole will continue to play him, keeps returning too although Jota or Greenwood could turn into Torres. Wanted Raphinha pre season and they've a nice run of fixtures where he could return at his price. Not sold on Gray tbh but not a lot of options at that price point that interest me.

Ronaldo/Lukaku/Dennis: Ronaldo is Ronaldo, him or Bruno and feel Ronaldo will return more. Lukaku I wanted from GW7 but with playing the WC, said I'd get him in. Might be fixture proof too and think he'll cause Spurs problems. Dennis is a cheap playing enabler.

Getting Ronaldo/Lukaku/Salah in was the plan and build around it without making the team weaker. Cheap defensively and would like TAA but he was sacrificed for the moment. Gone away from West Ham assets now with no Antonio, Benrahma is a weaker proposition, especially now they start Europe this week.

Would welcome any feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looks to be a good team selection to me. Antonio is only out for the one game with getting a silly second yellow and I would not see him getting a one game rest being a good reason for a full West Ham clear out. I only saw the Match of the Day clips of the game but Benrahma was still getting forward and attacking well and Southampton have already proved to be awkward opposition this season. There was no way West Ham could keep the rate of scoring they had in the first three games going for the full season so think it is a bit early to write off their attacking players after one game not scoring a goal.

While your choices are all solid picks I'd be interested to see what striker you could get in for Dennis if you downgraded Gray to a 4.5mill bench player. Edouard looked like he could be great value at 6.5mill with the way he started his first game for Crystal Palace and Dennis has done nothing points wise since the first game against an Aston Villa side that has looked unsettled at times this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Bruno and Pogba got 17 points between them and cost 19m, Ronaldo got 13 points and costs 12.5m, so you had 6.5m invested elsewhere that got you points. You chose to captain Antionio over say Ronaldo - who you state that you wanted an initial gain out of - if you thought he would at least get one goal - then why would you not captain him?

As others said a WC isn't based on 1 week, you should be getting players in who you feel will return decent haul over the coming weeks, if you were only concentrated on this GW you should have just played the Free Hit. I had a great GW, but equally next week i might have a crap week - and that's all because of the players picked from my WC. So you have to give it 3/5 GW's before you can call it a waste.

• Advertisement

Most obvious is you need some Chelsea defensive cover - their fixtures are just too good to go without - even doubling up.

As it stands, you are giving yourself a benching headache, and probably have too much money invested in certain areas. If you are always going to bench Gray, then just picking a playing 4.5m player and say 1m.

Not sure I would agree with the comments on Brighton fixtures - how many CS do you expect in the next say 6 games - 1 maybe 2? compare that with expected CS for Ramsdale or even McCarthy.

I think the likes of Saka should be in teams - he was very unlucky not to get a goal and assist yesterday and Arsenal's fixtures are just too good to be ignoring their attacking players. Arsenal had 30 shots yesterday - 30!!!!, but only had 52% of possession. They should have ran up a cricket score but for bad finishing and bad luck. Had he got the goal and assist, folk would be putting him in their teams.

Dennis is a cheap playing striker, who your probably happy to have on bench each week and sub in when needed, so I guess he serves his purpose. Pukki has some nice upcoming fixtures as does Armstrong, but if Dennis is going to be bench player no point upgrading him.

Decent team, but can I ask on some terminology, where did this "gone away from West Ham assets" come from? I've seen a lot of people use it on the forum recently, why not "west ham players". Is there some reference I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Cheers, probably a little harsh on the West Ham attacking lads but I don't want a WC with a suspended player and fancy Raphinha at that price. That said, he may easily become Benrahma again or Saka as Ace mentioned below. Dennis is very much a stop gap alright, Saint Maximim at 6.5 would be my choice. Some nice fixtures coming up and with Wilson gone, he'll be the focal point.

Thanks. Completely agree on Chelsea, the only problem is Tuchel and his tinkering. I got stung by him last season and it ruined me! Mendy would be my choice given he's the safest, then probably Rudiger. I've Lukaku in for the next 2 games but without doubt looking at Chelsea defence from GW7 onwards. Will be factoring that into my plans to swap someone in, most likely Mendy for Sanchez so will obviously need a plan for that. I had been looking at Saka, just not sure I can trust Arsenal. I have White cause he's cheap. Raphinha could easily become Saka though, will be another week tinkering myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Wildcard played. Anyone able to get TAA, Salah, Ronaldo and Lukaku into 1 team?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Yeah I've managed it. Guita / Sanchez , livramento, rudiger, taa , Duffy, Williams, salah , soucek , Mount, bissouma , Gilmor, lukaku Ronnie toney. Worked out well this week with 90 points , but wonder how well balanced it will be long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Great shout on Marcal, it doesnt get much better than 18 points from a 4.5m defender. I want a Wolves defender for this fixture run but was holding off till they actually won a game with a clean sheet which theyve done now. Going Ayling direct to Marcal for the same money is easy now given the mess that Leeds defence seems to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Wildcard idea

Ings, Wilson, Gilmour, Bruno, Mount, White, Rudiger, Ayling out

Other option is to do a FT, swap Wilson for Lukaku & Bruno to Pogba

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Any idea/ comments on this selection ??:

SANCHEZ

TAA-SHAW-REGUILON

RAPHINA-GRAY-SALAH-FORNALS

LUKAKU-ASM-RONALDO

SUBS : STEER-BISSOUMA-LIVRAMENTO-WILLIAMS

or i could swap ASM and WILLIAMS for CANCELO/JAMES and a 4.5 forward

Sanchez - Brighton don't have great fixtures coming up in comparison to maybe Ramsdale/McCarthy

Reguilon - Spurs are without 2/3 of their defenders and they don't score many goals, so i think 5.2m is a lot for him - given other options available. Not sure why he's in so many teams??

ASM is a live wire, so yea he's proabbly decent value - that Edouard lad with Palace could be worth getting in otherwise. Maupay is around that price point as well. Could also downgrade to likes of Dennis, and then upgrade Fornals to Pogba for instance.

As mentioned before i think you'll want Chelsea defensive cover in some shape - who you pick is your choice really - as you have a playing bench which is important with rotation at some clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Cheers, yeah looking at this team now. Wanted some chelsea coverage in defence alright so it looks like Shaw will have to bite the bullet.

ESR a bit of a gamble but I'm 0.2 short for someone like odegaard, so might see if i can work the market a bit.

wolves and southampton have nice fixtures with marcal in one week livramento another works out well.

RAMSDALE

JAMES - TAA- MARCAL

ESR - POGBA - SALAH - GRAY

LUKAKU - ASM - RONALDO

SUBS : STEER - BISSOUMA - LIVRAMENTO - WILLIAMS

Advertisement