Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any other women here vote NO for the 8th?

Comments

Oh I understand perfectly.

But it didn't answer the question - what is the difference between a foetus conceived through rape, and one that was not? (Hint, there isn't one).

But your reply does go to show that this is never really about the foetus at all, and reveals what it is about. You dress it up as "making moral decisions" but what it really is about, is controlling womens' decisions. You said it yourself. But you call it balancing some "moral equation". And that's what its always been about.

Well, its not anyone else's moral decision to make or "moral equation" to balance, as far as I'm concerned.

I just wish these so-called pro-lifers would spare us the "every life is precious" or "life begins at conception" spiel if they're then going to turn around and say its okay to abort in circumstances where the woman "didn't have a choice in avoiding the risk of becoming pregnant".

Be honest. Call it what it truly is. Controlling women.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I honestly don't care what anyone else's reasons for wanting abortion illegal are, and I care even less what their motivation is.

What I believe is simple.

(1) If you believe abortion is wrong, then you never have to have one.

(2) Stay out of other womens' business.

(3) Don't impose your "morals" on another woman. You're not walking in her shoes or living her life.

I've no idea where to find mods anymore - but can someone just ban this OP WUM account?

At the very least, make them make another one with a female name if they're going to pretend to be female.

A cursory glance at their threads should be enough.

Reported, anyway.

There's no "moral equation" here at all. If someone is going to die, and the only way to save their life is for me to give up a kidney, or some blood, or some bone marrow, it is nobody's business but mine whether I choose to help that person live or not. It's my body, my personal integrity and my right to privacy, so therefore it is my choice and I should not be forced to act in a particular way. The same logic applies at any point in time, and for any person. Therefore there is no distinction between conceptions of different types. There is no moral equation, and so it never "balances". This is no more and no less than a matter of personal integrity and of conscience, and the law should ensure that it is treated as such. The only logical alternative would be to force me to undergo a medical intervention to give up a kidney, or some blood, or some bone marrow, if that's the only way to keep another person alive. None of those things would kill me, but that is not a good enough test for the law, because they would interfere with my bodily integrity and my privacy.

You could try, I guess.

But you just sound ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

And there we have it. Knew it wouldn't take long for the dirty sluts rhetoric to appear. The veil wasn't even thin to begin with.

Women can have as much sex as they like with other women and not get pregnant. Do they have to keep their knees together?

Women can have as much sex as they like with men who have had a vasectomy and not get pregnant. Do they have to keep their knees together.

Both are yes or no questions by the way, for the avoidance of doubt, since you used the blanket phrase "Don't want to get pregnant, keep your knees together".

It is ridiculous.

Because I do have autonomy in this matter. Abortion is legal. If I found out today I was pregnant, I can decide to abort that pregnancy.

I don't have to consult any one in "the society I live in" for their permission or opinion, and my decision has NO impact on them.

They wouldn't even know.

Not sure transferring "logic" from a situation about a single persons decisions of personal autonomy over onto a discussion of crime from one person on another person - is going to look like anything other than ridiculous though? One is a victimless not-crime. The other is neither. The mapping does not track.

The temptation at this point to press the summon button is overwhelming :)

Because it is legal.

You keep waffling on about morality, (i.e. your morality) and society - well, "the society I live in" voted to Repeal the Eighth Amendment, knowing that would allow for legislation to be passed to allow safe and legal abortions in Ireland.

So it seems "the society I live in" weighed up the arguments, and decided they were okay with it. And those who voted against, well, they'll just have to deal with it. "Society" has spoken on this issue.

I wonder what the outcome would be, if society were asked to vote on should theft be made legal? Your analogy is, once again, is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nonsense. Theft is illegal. Likewise, abortion is legal. You're talking the law, not 'morals.' Morals are subjective. The law isn't, that's why it's a good thing, and there are (defined by law) ways to modify bad laws, like the 8th amendment. For example, genital mutilation. Some cultures, it's o.k. Not here (or most Western society.) So, it's illegal here. Not a morals issue at all.

And, as has been repeatedly stated on this thread, if you have an issue with how abortion is controlled by the State, the Dail can legislate changes. So, have a go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is the reason why I tend to avoid these circular argument threads...

What has that got to do with anything?

The choice isn't between forcing a person to have a kidney removed and letting someone else die. The choice is between forcing a person to have a kidney removed and not forcing a person to have a kidney removed.

It is wrong to force someone to have a kidney removed and donated, regardless of whether someone else would live or die as a result of its donation. I know that, and before you even comment I am over 99% certain that you agree.

Fortunately, we have the rule of law. Not morals. And they don't have to align.

At the risk of stating the obvious, death is a quite effective way to bring an end to someone's concerns about their right to privacy (though in many places it doesn't bring an end to privacy rights). You seem to be taking a view of this which is centred around the process. I'm taking a view which is centred around the patient. People have rights to bodily integrity, and to privacy, and the rights of person A to their bodily integrity and privacy are not subject to the rights of person B to theirs.

Of course theft shouldn't be legal. You have property rights to your own property, but you don't have rights to expropriate the property of others. On the other hand, you do have rights to bodily integrity and personal privacy that are not subject to the rights of others to theirs.

I wrote in Atari Jaguar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I voted to repeal. It doesn't make me "pro-abortion" but pro-choice. The fact is that Irish women were already having abortions, just forced to travel to the UK for them, adding extra stress to an already difficult situation. Abortion being legal doesn't make it compulsory - nobody has to have one who doesn't choose to. It just means that those who do choose, can have the procedure in their own country, with proper support from partners or family or friends if they need it, not making a clandestine trip to another country, often alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

So, several years later. Has it led to "unconditional and limitless abortions and essentially being used as a contraceptive"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

"Pro-abort" doesn't even make sense.

I voted to repeal the 8th. I have had two children since access to abortion services became legal. Does that make me "pro-abort"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

"Pro-abort" just makes me think of someone in a failing spacecraft mashing the abort button before being destroyed by a black hole.

Pointless term.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

What if a man is taken advantage of who's under the influence of alcohol or drugs (medically prescribed or otherwise) or whose drink was spiked and a woman took advantage of him?

Should he not be allowed to abdicate fatherhood in that situation then? If he never wanted to be a father.

If not, why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you really are full of stupid hypotheticals amongst other things.

Do you think bodily autonomy is the reason abortion is legal, in Ireland or elsewhere? State your basis for this reasoning, e.g., a link to the citizen's assembly discussion specifically about this. You can start here: https://2016-2018.citizensassembly.ie/en/The-Eighth-Amendment-of-the-Constitution/

I said what I said. If you hadn't said something pointless and illogical in response I wouldn't have needed to post again. It's not my fault you can't see the point in that.

Then there is no point to the argument against abortion. I know I've already explained that more than once, but I'll try again. If what's in your post quoted above is to be held up as a point of the argument to prevent terminating pregnancies, it should also be used to insist that people must be forced by law to give blood, bone marrow, or organ donations where those would save the life of someone else. Otherwise, the people making the argument are being logically inconsistent, and are also creating a moral hazard whereby the rights of people to bodily autonomy and integrity can be interfered with by the rights of other people on an arbitrary, unequal and discriminatory basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yeah, he should

Not sure what it has to do with this thread though.

At the risk of being pedantic, I wouldn't say that. I'd prefer there were no abortions, but it is not right that I (or society) should interfere with the rights of people to decide to terminate their pregnancies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah you get these guys who claim to be critical of "excesses of both sides" but that's always the giveaway of where they're really coming from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I voted no but respect everyone's vote opinion decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And we are to believe you voted repeal spouting this shtick?

• Advertisement

I wasn't telling you that what you said was pointless and illogical by way of discussion. I was doing it by way of description. Counter points are a tricky thing to handle when describing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in fairness he says he did so he did.

you can of course disbelieve him but realistically its of no consequence to him i would expect.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Then you would have to establish the existence of a victim. Have at it :)

Not sure why you felt the need to reply to my post twice. However your second post is just looking for a rise you won't get. The issue is not that I fail to understand your claim. It is that you have not established your claim to be a credible one. I am well aware of what those people believe. It is the seeming lack of basis for believing it that is the issue for me.

Anyway this has not been the subject on this forum I have been the most eloquent of posters on and I have mostly stayed away from it. A poster who does not post any more on boards is multiple times more clear and informative on the subject. So I have dropped him a DM this morning asking him to drop by the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭micosoft

I think you make a fair point. Your type have not gone away... and we need to be eternally vigilant that you don't do a Texas and drag us back to the dark ages. We need to challenge the anti-choice folk as they reorganise and try to subvert the referendum whether they picket clinics, threaten GP's, restrict legislation, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm opposed to abortion. I think everyone is. No one wants to have an abortion.

I voted for repeal (and supported the repeal cause by buying stickers and merch).

I think the idea purported by the 8th, that the church and other people could have a say in someone else's healthcare is disgusting. Don't like abortion? Dont have one. Simples. Abortion should be free, safe, legal and rare. Ultimately also, it should be a matter between a woman and her doctor. No one else.

If they think abortion is wrong, all they have to do is not have one. But the law should not prevent them from exercising that choice, regardless of the circumstances.

The difficulty with debates about this subject is not that people have views about abortion. It's that they have views about the legality of abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm not opposed to abortion as I'm not philosophical or sentimental about " new life " etc.

However, I'm opposed to termination at a stage where the life inside can feel pain, barring a crisis late in the pregnancy where the mothers life is threatened, no termination should take place after a point where pain can be felt.

The " my body - my choice " b0ll0cks is just ideological sloganerring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

That analogy breaks down when you think about it.

If you decide not to steal but let other people steal, then they can still steal your property which effects you.

If you don't like abortion and decide not to have an abortion how can someone else having an abortion effect you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I voted yes. Personally I wouldn't have a termination beyond the foetal pole stage which is around 9 weeks and only in exceptional circumstances. For example, know a woman who had an x ray without realising she was 5 weeks pregnant and embryo would most likely have been damaged by radiation.

I don't believe that women in this country celebrated the outcome of the referendum for any reason other than the fact that they would be granted bodily autonomy. Being told for the first time, in their lifetime, that they would be trusted with their own wombs.

The argument that we celebrated because we could "kill our kids" just doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned.

Women by our very nature are nurturers. We love babies. We protect our children. Well most of us.

And when is that? Scientifically.

regards the 8th amendment, 'my body, my choice' meant a lot more then termination. Women were denied the authority to decide their own medical treatments if they were so much as 2weeks pregnant.

the choice was taken away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you're so worried about foetal pain, then ban birth 🙄

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

I don't know what stage of development a foetus can feel pain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

It's not the same at all!

If someone is allowed to steal then they can effect you personally as they can steal from you.

If someone is allowed have an abortion then unless it's you personally having it then it can't effect you in a personal capacity.

It's a massive point of difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not. Giving birth is rather painful for the woman, squeezing the baby through an opening it doesn't quite fit, don't you think it's painful for the baby too? Often the skull is temporarily deformed...

Nobody gives a shít about that, but some eejit in the US decided that "foetal pain" would be the next angle of attack on abortion rights, and sure enough all of the usual suspects over here like David Quinn and Breda O'Brien and Ronan Mullen all started singing off that hymn sheet like the obedient little puppets they are.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement

How is any of that as painful as being killed ( if the foetus can feel it ) ?

Advertisement