Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Has anyone come across an estimate for the number of people being advised not to take the vaccine? I'd imagine it's less than 1% of the population but I'm just guessing.

(Advised by nphet or the hse or whoevers remit it comes under, not Facebook or a medium)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

We're ahead of Canada now. For anyone wondering how Portugal is so far ahead, this is partly explained by demographics - their under 14 population is 13.58% compared to ours at 21.37%.

Still, that suggests they've vaccinated around 97% of the eligible (12+) population. Impressive.

Many countries like France are making sure their citizens abroad get vaccinated. Now that 90% of adults in Ireland are vaccinated, is it not time to send some around the world so that Irish people get one that is recognised in Ireland?

As it stands, there are Irish people being forced to take Chinese vaccines. These won't ever be recognised in Ireland, and that creates a situation where people will inevitably be getting an untested concoction of vaccines in order to return home. With such a small population abroad, it must surely be possible to organise this, when much larger countries have managed it.

I wish the country would help us now that it is in a good position. If it's about money, we'll pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Surely you can travel home and get a vacine here. How you expect Ireland can hand pick emmigrants to get a vacine when they reside in a country of their choosing. Note you chose to reside where you reside. Also making no contributions to the HSE.

Surely you can travel home and get a vacine here.

No, actually. That isn't always possible. A simple example would be a child not having an Irish passport yet, so they couldn't go. And no guarantee of being able to return to the family.

How you expect Ireland can hand pick emmigrants to get a vacine when they reside in a country of their choosing.

The same way other countries have done it; through embassies.

Note you chose to reside where you reside.

This is a medical issue, not some sort of "You deserve it because of your decisions."

Also making no contributions to the HSE.

I have in the past. And I said if it's about money, we'd pay.

I've received AstraZenica so this doesn't even concern me. It's a general thread asking for help for fellow citizens. It's remarkable that you generated an entire opinion on vaccinating Irish people abroad based on your dislike of me, a random poster on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

I could throw the same back at you random ex patriat seeks benefits of living in home country from country they chose to go to for.. reasons.

There are options available to the person in this category and a state actioned foreign program shouldn't be one tbh . They are getting the vacine as designated by the health authority in which they reside that should be adequate.

Just for clarification sake I have no dislike nor like for you. I don't know you. My comments are based around the thread content solely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If we did what you suggest, then such people would get a vaccine which may not be recognised in the country where they are living.

Also, I think you seriously underestimate the number of Irish citizens living abroad, most of whom have never lived here.

If a country makes certain vaccines a requirement for citizens, then I think it would be good for it to make an effort that its citizens can receive said vaccines. The other option is that vaccine passports recognise all vaccines.

I find it surprising that you are so dismissive of this and call it "benefits". People are genuinely worried about having two Sinopharm and then having to get two Pfizer or something. Your stance saying people deserve this because they chose to live somewhere else for a while is pretty galling.

Other countries have done this. It's really not even difficult to do.

As I said. You or they can come get it should you choose it's available.

Genuinely impossible for some people. It also adds unnecessary international travel and quarantines.

Well if you don't support it, I hope you support these other vaccines counting towards the Covid certificate. I don't think it's reasonable to require people to receive untested combinations of vaccines. It's also a waste of two doses when so many countries are struggling to source vaccines.

• Advertisement

That's not for me to decide. That's for the health authorities. I support their process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I think the second point here is the most salient. The OP is massively underestimating the amount of Irish citizens abroad. Also, it would be a logistical and regulatory nightmare to start banging Pfizer or Moderna into people in other countries. It's not like it could be sent out in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

You claim the small population should make this easier, but I would beg to differ. In order to make such an initiative truly worthwhile, there needs to be a critical mass of recipients able to avail of it, and a larger country will typically have more emigrants (as opposed to those entitled to citizenship who may never have set foot in the country) in that position.

Even a simple matter like avoiding wastage of doses from not fully administering the contents of a vial once opened is more difficult when operating in small numbers.

Ireland is already donating these vaccines to these counties through Covax. Moderna and Pfizer are already being used. My suggestion is simply that donated vaccines are earmarked for Irish citizens to avoid the issue of people having to get vaccinated from scratch when returning.

France just got a list of people registered in the embassy and said vaccinate these people with these vaccines.

Anyways, it's clear so far in this thread that there is no appetite for it. And it doesn't concern me anyways. Just thought people would have more empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'm not clear if the OP is actually in this situation?

But it's irrelevant. Even if the Irish government decided this was something worth doing, it's neither legally nor logistically feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Lol so you won't be lending any moral support to OP because it hasn't already been pre-approved by the 'health authorities'? Who btw have no direct political authority so basically you are declaring your loyalty to a committee of advisors who work for the Government.

A workaround of some kind could be found for people who ended up taking a local vaccine if that's what people want. More flexibility with the passport would probably be the easiest thing.

The last 18 months have shown that people don't care how impractical something is, they're just going to do it if that's what they want to do. Lockdowns aren't practical but we had three of them. So why refuse to support some kind of workaround for a few people who are in a jam?

I'm not sure where you would start in terms of raising the issue OP. Writing to Department of Foreign Affairs and TDs perhaps?

I'm not sure. I might email the Department of Foreign Affairs tomorrow.

I think the way people brushed this off shows a complete lack of understanding of the problem. If I go home after two Vero Cell, and must get revaccinated in order to be able to live my life, then who decides how long to wait between the two sets of vaccines.. Me? Do I pick a number of weeks out of the sky? If I have an extremely bad reaction or die, who is at fault? Is it me, or is it the government for having not having proper guidance on what to do in this scenario? Will the government cover itself by simply advising people not to get vaccinated if they have already "been vaccinated"?

Lol ? Our authorised vacines are decided by the drug authority not by Michael Martin. I don't need to lend moral support to the OP they have already indicated they are covered by Astra so I'm not even sure why they are so concerned. And yes I lay trust in the medical professionals in this country to look out for the well being of our citizens. But hey that's just me ...

Also just to note I'm not sure why you 'health authories' quoted them like that. It's this sort of bizarre I know better psuedo internet intelligence that's so invasive in every facet of life today that causes a vast amount of the world's problems.

But good luck down the rabbit hole my friend. I'm sure it will treat you well. Until obviously the point when you need to go to the hospital to get looked after by real 'doctors'.

• Advertisement

Quick cheat guide for anyone paying attention:

Something you want to see happen = essential / mandatory / 'The virus is forcing our hand. We have no choice in the matter.'

Something you don't want to see happen = 'blah blah logistical nightmare couldn't possibly happen too difficult blah'

Please use this cheat guide wisely.

Traditional Irish blessing:

May all your bureaucratic obfuscations be taken at face value and your directives adhered to.

Ah so you want Ireland to police the world in essential vacine control ? I'm sure that would go down well in the depths of Irish anti everything Facebook and it's equivalent telegram groups.

Could you link a report about how France are doing it?

I can't see how it is possible so would be good to have a reference.

Police the world?? I'm saying that there could be some sort of 'passport exemption' for a handful of expats.

I oppose the whole passport system and hopefully they will be gone soon (as planned). The Times of London saying they will be scrapped in the UK soon.

https://vn.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-2eme-phase-de-la-campagne-de-vaccination-de-la-communaute-francaise

And:

My friends working for the British Council also got vaccinated way before everyone else. I don't see why people think this is some sort of logistical or legal nightmare, to the point where it is pointless even trying. And I definitely don't see how anyone can be actively against it like others here. It's literally a waste of vaccines to require EU citizens to have certain vaccines without coordinating with embassies to give them. And it leads to medical problems with vaccines not being used as intended.

The UK won't be followed by any country as an example of how to control the pandemic to date. Individual countries will do that. Although with the current situation on the US there will no immediate end to passport controls globally. This will play out into next year until people get their collective **** together.

I'd love for us to be able to delete this thread and stop talking about this but many people are loving living in this era as it plays right into their conspiracy theory playground.

Health bodies and medical committees don't decide issues, elected representatives do. That's why I put health authorities in inverted commas because you seem to be imputing to them an authority they don't have.

'The authorities' in common parlance means people with power, like the police or the Government. There are no 'health authorities' in the sense of doctors or medical scientists who can decide political issues themselves. Though that line has been blurred a bit by the way in which the Government have elevated NPHET in order to use them as a political shield

Er btw you don't represent 'doctors' or 'hospitals' in any way, and your confusing stance on where political authority is located has nothing to do with medical science or medicine per se.

You'd love for this thread to be deleted? What on Earth is wrong with you? These are real concerns and you want it to just disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If I go home after two Vero Cell, and must get revaccinated in order to be able to live my life,

What makes you think you would have to do this?

• Advertisement

But it is just limited to Vietnam?

A country that France has had long standing ties with going back to colonial times?

The vaccines are being given at the French Hospital in Hanoi and the Franco-Vietnamese Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City.

It's not really applicable to Ireland, is it? So again, how would we actually do this?

It doesn't seem difficult to me, it seems impossible.

Advertisement