Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

As things stand now. I'm going with Lowry, Rose, and Garcia as the picks

Lowry is a certainty

If Rose stays in the too ten I think he is a certainty to get picked

Garcia playing very well last week and poulter missing the cut this week, should give Garcia the edge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Don’t rule out poulter . He’s inspired when it comes to the Ryder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I'd love to think Lowry is a certainty, but I'm not 100% convinced. Padraig is such a straight shooter that he will only pick Shane if there is no obvious alternative. Assuming Wiesberger makes his way into the automatic qualifying spots, then Lowry's place could be under threat from Garcia, Poulter and Rose unless he manages to pass Westwood and thereby retains his place in the automatic qualifying spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Lowry is a certainty. If he's not automatic and needs a pick it makes it more tricky for Harrington with other players. But Lowry is in no danger of missing out, if he misses automatic qualification he's no.1 pick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Agreed I reckon Wiesberger could spell bad news for Rose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭techdiver

What happens if Rose wins though? That would potentially knock Westwood out of the world points list along with Lowry (assuming Wiesberger knocks Rory off the euro list), then you have 3 from Garcia, Poulter, Lowry and Westwood.

Bad news for Westwood I guess, I don't see Rose winning though, on his longest streak without a win since 08/09.

I hope everyone here is right about Lowry. I just get a sinking feeling that everything is starting to line up perfectly against him.

Really hope I'm wrong.

Westwood hasn't had a Top 10 anywhere since March they were saying today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Lowry is 100% on the team regardless of what happens at the weekend. If he doesn't qualify automatically he's had by far the best year out of the non-qualifiers.

He's as certain to make the team as Tiger was for the US in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So if Rose wins it

Lowry comes 2nd

Wiesberger 3rd.

Westwood could possibly miss out and it might not be easy to pick him on his current form. If he does play in the Ryder Cup, he has to be ordered to have the wife carry the bag and not the son. His results are better when the wife caddies for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Still all to play for even Pèrez is making a charge today, needs a top 3.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Anyone know what Shane needs to do to overtake Westwood?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

They ran through some of the scenarios earlier on Sky, but apparently because it’s the World points list, what Shane needs to do is also very dependent on what Westwood does too. Matt Fitz is also at risk it seems, in some scenarios.

It probably won’t be any way clear til late tomorrow, and Paddy might have some tricky choices. Personally, for the picks, I think Poulter looks very vulnerable. Imo it’s very hard to justify one for him purely based on past performance when he’s shown nothing all summer. If Sergio has already been given the nod, and Shane needs (and gets) a pick, Justin Rose finishing top 5 on Sunday would be hard to ignore. If Shane bumps Westwood out, it’d be very hard to ignore Westwood (current Race to Dubai winner) and pick Poulter over him. Bet Paddy wishes he had 4 picks now !

It depends on where Westwood finishes. Shane needs to finish no worse than a two way tie for 8th in order to pass Westwood, and 8th (or tied 8-9) would only be good enough if Westwood finishes outside the top 56 and thereby fails to pick up any world ranking points.

The finish needed by Westwood to stay ahead of Shane if he finishes higher than 8th are as follows:

S 7 W 47

S 6 W 28

S 5 W 16

S 4 W 9

S 3 W 4

S 2 W 1

I’ve only looked at solo finishes in the above table. A tied position is quite likely (particularly outside the top 3) and the finish required by Westwood would vary accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Poulter was poor in the last Ryder Cup when he got a wildcard. Shouldn't be picked.

Same applies to Westwood last time he played Ryder Cup. Wildcard selection and absolutely atrocious.

Don't see why either should be picked ahead of Lowry if it came down to it. Lowry is in better form and is also a major winner, which neither of them are in much longer careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fair play to wiesberger performing under huge pressure, harro will love that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Terrible back 9 from Lowry considering the position he had himself in after 9 holes. Too many loose shots.

Needs to birdie the 18th at a bare minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

Kinda agree with this tbh. I always half though Padraig had been given the job of “retiring” some of the old guard who are well past it (Stenson, Rose, Poulter, Sergio, Westwood etc). I’d love to see him pick some fresh faces, if only for Sky’s apoplectic reaction if Poulter was left out ! :D

i suppose the only thing is, Europe are unlikely to win, so losing while picking the safe old reliables would be ok, but losing with rookie wild cards would see him savaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I love Paddy, but I can't still for the life of me understand why he's continually intimated that Sergio and Poults are certs for the team????

• Advertisement

Agreed. Crazy in my opinion. I hate this harping back to historical performances. Poulter was ordinary at best in Paris. Wasn't on the team in 2016, so all this talk is crap in my opinion.

Postman living off former glories, 2008 to 2012 were the 3 cups he was unreal.

This would be his 5th wildcard, Padraig has to let someone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Westwood with a good birdie on 1st, he better not make it too hard for Shane now

And now a beauty on 2nd so another likely one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

So I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say that Wiesberger will qualify automatically at this stage.

think Lowry is a cert one way or another. Best form of all the potential bubble or wildcard players.

think Sergio is guaranteed a pick and have no issue with that.

think Rose needed to win this week to get a pick so that looks unlikely now.

while poulter is relying on past glories he has played pretty consistent this season with this week his only missed cut in 11tournaments and he was 1 under so hardly a great concern.

my worry at the minute is the form of Hatton, Westwood and Fitzpatrick to a less extent.

obviously a massive task to beat this strongest ever US team on US soil with no support but in 2016 the European team was much worse also and weren’t miles away from winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

They also had the added handicap of being under the stewardship of possibly the worst European Ryder Cup captain of all time in Darren Clarke.

While I agree that Darren Clarke was a terrible captain, he didn’t even come close to matching the awfulness of Nick Faldo in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Harrington is picking Garcia and Poulter. He said it over 6 months ago

I reckon he’s hoping he can pick Rose and praying Lowry knocks Westwood out of automatic spot.

it’s all about the pairings.

Guaranteed -

Garcia/Rahm

Lowry/McIlroy

Hatton/Casey

Probable -

Poulter/Rose

Questionable -

Hovland/?

Fleetwood/?

Weisberger/?

Fitzpatrick/?

Westwood ? Just why Westwood??

Need two anchor pairings to win this like Molli/Wood and Rose/Stenson

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Westwood has collapsed anyway, back to -2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭Xander10

With Westwood collapse, is the worse case scenario for Lowry , a pick between him and Westwood, which he should get.

• Advertisement

Yes, it looked like he was really going to put it up to Shane with the way he started. He's currently outside the top 56, which would mean no world ranking points for him and would allow Shane to pass him with a two way tie for 8th.

Regarding wild card picks, I've had a look at the total world ranking points gained by the top European players this year and the figures are as follows:

Assuming Wiesberger doesn't have a complete collapse this afternoon, 8 of the 9 automatic qualifying spots will go to those highlighted in green on the above list. This leaves either Westwood or Lowry in the final qualifying spot (or possible higher, if Shane does particularly well today).

I've highlighted both of these in yellow along with the other 3 players who are most likely to be considered for a wild card. It seems likely to me that unless Rose has an exceptional round this afternoon, he is going to be the one losing out.

Advertisement