Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bogfairy

Congrats to Tyrone, better team won.

So disheartening to be a Mayo fan, but I would have taken back to div 1 and a Connacht title this year. We managed to get to a final, but fell massively short.

Tyrone were great, but we had so many chances to win that game, that's what is so sickening.

Not picking our strongest team to start, no running game, backs behind their men, numerous poor wides, poor decisions on the sideline, a real calamity of errors. New players now have two AI final losses under their belt. So so depressing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Think Joanne really said "O'Shigh" - wouldn't get too carried away with it.

Bit harsh blaming Horan, he was the messiah after the Dublin win. Should have changed underperforming players sooner, but there was little he could do in the closing stages, he hadn't a McShane or Canavan on the bench. Think that's it for the older brigade and may take Mayo a few years to rise again. Scoring forwards just don't grow on trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I thought Diarmuid O Connor should have taken it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Reminds of a minor kerfuffle many moons ago when Eileen Dunne introduced an item about a naked street performer (or somesuch) at the Galway Arse Festival

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

There's nothing to take from that. No hard luck stories or moral victories. We played within ourselves and still had the chances to get on top but didn't take them. Tyrone were nothing special, especially in the second half.

We were the better team during the first fifteen minutes of it but didn't take the goal chances while they got two from nothing. If we had even got four or five points on the board in that period we would have had a great platform to go on and win it. We still had the opportunities to get ourselves back into after all that but kicked some bad wides at crucial times. All of that kills momentum and we could never get it going.

I don't want to slate players but some of them just didn't turn up at all and were off the boil. The sideline weren't much use to us either, James Carr being brought on in injury time was laughable.

Probably the worst final defeat for me. Never felt as numb to the whole thing if I'm being honest. There's only so much you can take. Time will heal some wounds but I get the feeling it's going to take some effort to pick ourselves up off the canvas after this. Probably best off just forgetting about it because the whole thing would drive you mad thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I felt from early in the year this was the the best Mayo team I had seen in my time going to games. In hindsight were we lulled into a false sense of greatness? Standing back and looking at it now we came to that view after 30 minutes against Galway and 20 minutes against Dublin but I dont know what to think after that. I said it weeks ago the only way to beat Tyrone is to get stuck in from the start. You have to out fight them for possession, exert severe pressure. Mayo done that early on and just stopped. When you push up on them and exert pressure like Dublin done previously they dont handle it well and are forced to play ball and I still believe man for man Mayo have a better team. Today from 15/20 minutes Tyrone dictated just about everything. What I have seen over the years from playing Tyrone club sides and watching their county teams they get the maximum out of what it at their disposal. Well prepared, well drilled and great skills. Underestimate them at your peril.

There were 2 areas I feel cost Mayo today.

1) I think Mayo didnt get Diarmuid O'Connor or Kevin McLoughlin on the ball enough early in the game, its what they thrive on. Even had they dropped them deeper they are key figures and it would have let Durkan go forward more but they are so influential it would have been great for the team to help build momentum.

2) I wouldnt have played Aidan O'Se and said so earlier in this thread. He slows down Mayo and I just think they are better without him. Maybe as an impact sub?

While the game has changed there is still basics like quick ball into the forwards which is key. When Mayo done this they won possession or got a free. The fact they did play A.O'S why was ball not pumped into him? He needs to be lucky once, (like McShane was) the back has to be lucky all the time. He won a few frees because Tyrone struggled to cope with his size. Instead they were fckn around giving Tyrone time to build their wall and then tried to play through it. Madness. Carrying the ball into contact can be ok but not when surrounded by 2 or 3 opposing players. O'Se actually received the ball inside his 20m line twice in second half and he simply doesn't have the engine for that. (Kerry are same with David Moran)

I wouldnt fault either the goal miss or the penalty miss. The penalty was well hit and the keeper was well beaten. 2 inches and he was a hero. Ruane was unlucky to to get Red. He was baited and bit. Dont know if anyone else spotted it but Tyrone done this just after half time on D. O'C and a few others as well.

Where to now? This squad will win an All-Ireland in next 2/3 years. The players are there as it is. People cant blame Horan for today as it was errors on the field that cost the team. There has to be a few scars there and Im not sure who will call it a day. I think Lee Keegan is the one I would be looking to to lead the team or Paddy Durkan. I dont see a place for A.O'Se going forward.

I havent changed my mind on my view of this Mayo side because of today. I think they are top class and hope they can reach the summit and collect Sam sooner rather than later.

Either way rest up and look forward to 2022. #StaySafe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Losing to Dublin in finals could be compartmentalized. Competing with the machine that is Dublin GAA, the population, the natural advantages, the ever present home advantage etc etc.

But losing to Tyrone can't be set aside. That's going to be hard to get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭fawlty682

Sad record for O’Shea. No score in 7 finals, will never be equalled. Had goal chance but shot for a point like a junior player. Tyrone played as a team, Mayo individuals. Missed 2 goals and 2 points, including the penalty within a few minutes to take a lead in 2nd half. Different game if they lead but no combination play by forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Probably our easiest all Ireland and yet we underperformed . Learned nothing from the Kerry game and kept going for goals .

hats off to Keegan , Ryan Donaghue and Conroe. Stuck at it when all others were struggling to put in a performance.

We need just to recap a bit and realise connaught was our goal for this year . So a small bit of perspective, The final loss is a big blow and probably the easiest final of the 11 to win , but we have so much more coming .

we just keep coming back and god knows by now there is no other county better at dusting ourselves down and going again.

with Cillian, Eoghan and one or two others we will be back again next year .

love mayo .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

If big Aido retired it would be a help to Mayo at least the manager would have the decision made for him and get him off the hook .

I think it passed so many of the Mayo players by. A great start to get 2 points up and then Tyrone took over and dictated the whole pace of the game. The only Mayo forward who looked to have the beating of his man was Conroy but they just didn't play him enough. Himself and donoghue looked to be isolated. I was surprised to see Tyrone play the more direct football. I had shivers up my spine watching all the Mayo cars heading East today as they past my Town. I feel awful for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

Really feel for Mayo supporters & hoped they would take their chance today but they proved they are well short of being top class as suggested above. Reality is Tyrone, Kerry & half teams in Ulster would fancy their chances against Mayo any given day, Dublin may also be competitive for another year or 2. Today was a massive opportunity & Mayo displayed great endeavour but little in way of class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thats a load of bollo*. Mayo should have bet Dublin in 2 finals. Lost on sideline. Dont mind the figures you read playing GAA in Dublin it is not as strong as people have you think. There are a few huge clubs who dominate, Ballyboden, Kilmacud, Cuala, Brigits, Na Fianna & Vincents. A lot of other clubs struggle in densely populated areas where soccer is dominant sport. Crumlin Ballyfermot Drimnagh which covers a big area struggle at juvenile level and amalgamate at various ages and still struggle. But a few journalists will have you believe differently. Dublins home ground is Parnell park and unless the GAA buy them ground which I proposed about 25 years ago the GAA want them in Croke park. Its not Dublins choice. Its about Croke park.

As for losing to Tyrone, that is a bit disingenuous. Without doubt Tyrone sides be they club or county are exceptionally well prepared. Look up Tyrone centre of excellence at Garvaghy and see the facilities. They are one of the most skillful group of players you will ever see. They make the most of what they have, Mayo didnt today.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

Cillian o Connor is injury prone..

Seeing multiple posters on here thinking we'll be grand when he returns along with a few others.

More forwards needs to be unearthed ,simple as that, and a few senior members need to step aside to allow this young team prosper otherwise we are on the road to nowhere.

There's no hard luck today, scrutiny is something that needs to be implemented within the management set-up and the fans.

Were too soft .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

I think O' Donoghue played very well.

Didn't expect as big a performance from the Tyrone midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Tyrone have forwards who score, we have forwards who don't. They had so much more composure and we were ridiculously brainless. Absolutely no composure.

Very few performed, but I think the sideline was a massive contributing factor to that loss. Horan to me reverted to the Horan of old. Thick, stubborn and a blunt refusal to remedy what were pretty obvious issues out there. A disaster really and that lies with him.

We will continue to contest, but won't be winning an All-Ireland any time soon.

Kudos to Tyrone.

O'Shea was probably the worst player on the pitch today. Contributed nothing and made it real simple for Tyrone to play out from the back.The amount of times he was just motionless on the field was shocking. Can't understand why Horan didn't pull him, it was obvious to the whole stadium how poor he was today.

Really feel sorry for Keegan and Durcan, excellent games today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

No. Choose one of the midfielders or wing-forwards to say the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 longballer

Commiserations to genuine Mayo fans and to all associated with the squad. Your team ran up against a very determined, focused and skilful Tyrone team today and wasn’t able to perform to your peak ability. Your genuine supporters will realise that the team went out intending to play well and win. They didn’t intentionally miss a penalty, cough up possession, slow down attacks, miss goal chances or react to provocation and get sent off. Tyrone pressure hugely contributed to all of the above. Your players are class footballers, all of them, and some posters on this thread seem to be forgetful of the many great days you have got as a result of these amateur efforts. In Tyrone, we’ve huge respect for your county including your genuine fans and while I understand your frustration at getting beat, it wasn’t for any want of desire on your players part. Some days momentum and the rub of the green is with you and some days it isn’t. Unfortunately for Mayo you haven’t been getting much luck on the biggest day of the year, but that will change and all of your current players are capable of playing a part when that day surely comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Just on the losing on the sideline part. From what I remember we just didn't have the quality of player coming off the bench that Dublin did in 2016 and 2017. Sideline did everything they could right both those days. But replacing Andy Moran for Danny Kirby or David Drake was step down. That's all there was to it. 2013 loss to Dublin I will concede that if we were smarter from the sideline we could have bet Dublin that day. But 16 and 17, the better squad won, simple as.

Same problem today, Horan plays horan ball, doesn't matter who the opposition are. Looked like he didn't watch the other semi final at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Jese I've only came on here cos I've had a few drinks (it feels like looking up your exes profile on facebook, you know you want to have a look but you're not gonna like what you see!).

I dunno how I feel. Very disconsolate, I really thought it was our year def worse than I've felt after other years. I thought we would come out at half time and start running at them, we did it sporadically but didnt do it enough. I thought we had the running game, tactician, players to beat that team. The last time I've felt like this was after the semi in 19.

But the good thing is that the last time.i felt like this was in 19. I thought this team was gone in 2019. But theyre back and better since then. We are still in at least the top 5 counties in the country and dublin and Kerry thankfully arent as good as they've been made out to me. I was also talking to some people from another county tonight who wonder how we can be producing team after team after team. We will be back, that team owes us nothing. We will more than likely be playing again in august, let's look forward to it and hope aidan orme and darren McHale get into the s&c over the winter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

What a crushing defeat.

Yet more shattered dreams.

Wonderful support.

The pain and anguish etched on supporters faces post match was so very sad.

Yet another funeral procession.

Too many players underperformed to a significant degree.We appeared leggy and flatfooted in comparison to Tyrone.The last thing I would have expected.

My worst fears came to fruition re our ability to break down the Tyrone defence.Our forward line totally malfunctioned.

Cillian O Connor absence as a focal point and score getter was unquantifiable.

Our old failings in a lack of depth of quality forward play came back to haunt us.Contrast same with Tyrone's ability to shoot the lights out on the first half.

The decision to start Aidan O Shea backfired.

The closeness of previous losses against that great Dublin team lead me to believe there wasn't a psychological barrier to our inability to close out finals...

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Tyrone were so deserving of their win.From once they got in front they totally controlled the contest.

It's simply soul destroying.

4 points from play from the front 8 including subs. Never going to win an All Ireland with those stats. Clifford got that on his own including two marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Fair play to Tyrone - worthy winners and hats off to their fans too, all of whom I found to be very gracious in victory. Some other counties’ fans could learn a lot from them on how to behave themselves.

On the game itself - that was a very disappointing performance but you’d have to give credit to Tyrone for how they defended and managed their opposing players.

Leeroy once again outstanding for us, as was Stephen Coen. Other than those 2 with perhaps the odd exception, there was little to cheer in terms of performance.

We created a number of chances but just didn’t convert them and that was pretty much the story of the day.

As Seligehgit mentioned the absence of Cillian is unquantifiable. Don’t know if he would have been able to close the 5 point difference, but that’s by the by now.

Yesterday was Tyrones day and I wish them well and may they enjoy their celebrations, they Certainly deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Absolutely devastating defeat to lose that, as bad as walk out of Croke Park that I can remember. Wish I was turning the car West last night with the rest of the crew but instead had the sole journey down the M7. Its one where never really got going. Credit to Tyrone, they executed their game plan to a tee and had the forwards to finish off their chances. Even saying that, if we had taken the big chances when they came we would have been in with a shout. Lost the one on one battles all over the field all day and still have the same frailties under the high ball at the back. It was infuriating that McShane was just on the pitch and that happened, surely we knew that was coming.

Fair play to ROD he tried all bloody day,was the only real focal point in attack. Still done a couple of silly things and missed the penalty but can't really fault him. Leeroy was excellent too.

As other have said Cillian was hugely missed, having him there to win primary ball and link the play cant be understated. Feel for O'Shea will get dogs abuse after another poor display but in reality I don't know where he fits in anymore. He's not a full forward and that has to stop now and he doesn't appear to have the legs in midfield to match the top teams.

A lot is being said of Horan too. I find it hard to buy 100% into that, who was he suppose to spring from the bench to fix 10+ players individually underperforming. We can talk about systems but some of the individual displays and mistakes just can't be accounted for. He was the Messiah after the Dublin game and is now back to being under prepared and tactically inept. For me he's unearthed another championship contending team out of nowhere, not sure who else could have done that in that timescale.

Any congrats to Tyrone they were certainly worthy winners. The Mayo support there yesterday was phenomenal, all pure mad passionate lunatics. We'll go again as we always do and we'll have another bite at the cherry in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

With 8/10 minutes to go there was a sideline shot of Horan and his main assistant ( not McDonald). It seemed to me the assistant was furious and Horan was refusing to budge on the issue. Probably AOS move - anyway it was too late then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Hard luck to Mayo, Tyrone the better team. Unfortunately Mayo still making the same mistakes over and over again in finals, poor decision making, bad wides and indiscipline. Tyrone played with much more composure. Ye are as far away as ever from winning an All Ireland, Kerry & Dublin likely to be stronger next season and Tyrone will still be there, hard to see this Mayo team win an All Ireland at this stage, too many wounds from losing finals now. Yesterday was a golden opportunity they let pass them by, unlikely to get a better chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

I think the selector was James Burke. Plays his club football with Ballymun. Played for Mayo in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great post.

Leeroy,Paddy,Stephen Coen,Ryan O Donoghue and Tommy Conroy tried manfully to stem the tide.

I honestly don't know what James Horan is supposed to do when we are shipping so much water all over the park and your forward line is malfunctioning to such a degree.

Although taking off Aidan early appeared to be an obvious switch.

We tried the patient,oft times slow lateral buildup which has failed us so often against Tyrone.We did'nt mix it up with quick direct ball enough.Unfortunately the lads appeared to be like rabbits caught in the headlights with their reluctance to take a shot on from distance.

High ball frailties came back to haunt us yet again.Goalkeeping error.

It's a really tough place for the players.

The only bit of perspective I can offer is with Cillian's loss we'd pretty much written off a Connacht title nevermind an All Ireland title but TBH such an excuse may be a tad hollow and perhaps is part of the problem.You grab an All Ireland when it's there in front of you.

Post edited by seligehgit on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

All the pundits and podcasts in the run up suggested the loss of cillian would be too big and... It was. That said however, if the team had stepped up and performed like we know they can, I still think they could have beaten that Tyrone team yesterday. But they didn't. So here we are.

Walking out of croke park in 2019 after that 15 min massacre by Dublin, I would never have thought that we'd be AI final in 2020 and 2021. So with that... this team is good, can only get better hopefully.

Maigh Eo Abu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Poor performance in the game. Oshea wasnt as bad as people are making out though. He was actually marginally better than many of his team mates, who arent getting any mention. Too much made of him truth be told. He didnt play well, neither did the tyrone captain by the way. People should try to be a bit more objective about him.

We were very poor, but saying that, tyrone couldnt put us away either. We were limping along for 50 minutes and still in the game. I feel oconnor was a seismic loss for this game, and if we had him and barrett, we could well have stolen it. Not sure why Harrison wasnt introduced to mark McCurry. I feel the line was poor throughout

You've got to be kidding me.

Not sure what game you were watching. .lazy opinion.

Fans at Croke park yesterday weren't the fans that showed up for the Connacht championship in howling wind and rain.

Crowd was quite , and heard more moans than and wilful support.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

As a Tyrone man I had great craic on the way in on the train yesterday from Maynooth with Mayo fans. Great spirit.

Never felt as sorry for a team after a big game in my life, I know the condolences are no good to you but you are up there as the best supporters in Ireland. Created a fantastic atmosphere in croke park yesterday. There was no gloating (from what I seen) and there was real acknowledgment of Mayo’s hurt after the final whistle. A lot of tears shed on both sides!

you will be back, don’t forget Tyrone were similar before they won their first win 18 years ago, always the bridesmaid.

fantastic supporters, if we could play teams with the same class and pride as Mayo GAA would be an even better organization.

needless to say we don’t miss Kerry or Dublin supporters, different kettle of fish altogether !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The most disappointing loss since 2006. At least in the finals against Dublin they performed but were up against the all time greats.

Even in 2012 against Donegal although it was disappointing I don't think anyone expected us to get to the final that year and it was peak Jim McGuiness. Despite the loss there was a lot to be optimistic for.

Yesterday was just flat with so many players just not playing well. I felt beforehand it was our best chance in years to win it.

I know we dismiss the scars of the past but we have a mental frailty when it comes to finals. It swings both ways where Mayo don't believe they're capable of winning and the opposition are boosted because it's us they're playing and then believe they're not capable of losing.

I honestly don't think there is any county in the top ten or fifteen who wouldn't fancy their chances playing a Mayo team in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Don't know what to say. It was a very winnable game. But we were brain dead from the off.

Tyrone managed the game well a d deserved to win.

Midfield were appalling. Did they catch a ball all day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Tough one to take, genuinely thought it was finally going to be our year. Now to deal with this raging hangover...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What a load of **** shite.

Why on earth can't Mayo teams just for once in a final go out and play the game of their lives.

Look at Tyrone, dominated mid field when that's where they were supposed to be weak, Cathal McShane touted as a "super sub" comes on and as advertised delivers big time. Defend in numbers but then break with speed.

We never get that from Mayo when the chips are down on All Ireland final day.

Great comebacks and hard luck losses like in 2016 and 2017 just can't paper over the cracks that they just can't deliver when it's required.

This was terrible.

The one chance we had in recent years in a final that did not contain a really strong opponent and they fail to take advantage.

It's utterly depressing.

So many under par performances out there.

Credit to Tyrone they knew how to win the game, but let's be honest they are no world beaters.

I've said before here that this was an opportunity because it wasn't Dublin or Kerry in their pomp, and that if they didn't take it there was no place to hide. Well there is no place to hide now.

Days like that only give the clown from Derry fuel to his fire.

I really think it could be the end of the line for Aiden O'Shea as a starter.

All he offered yesterday was that he made it a bit messy up front and freed up a bit of space in the second quarter.

If that's the best you can get out of him on All Ireland final day then it's really time to reevaluate.

I know it's an intangible but if Cillian was playing things may have been different.

If you remember the little debate between Cora and Spillane during the Leitrim game Spillane scoffed at Cora's suggestion that Mayo would win the All Ireland, but his reasoning may have been correct, he said they would not win because they did not have Cillian.

But hey, there is always next year.

Cillian will be there, these guys are still young etc, but they really need to learn from this, they really need to build a mindset that you do not leave it behind on the big day, that coming out as the losers is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

Heartbreak yet again for you guys, as James Horan said it's disappointing but no way fatal, you guys will be back you always are. Cillian was a massive loss as Mayo's scoring dried up a small bit and the ball inside broke down far too much. Tyrone got on top in midfield as well which was a surprise and bet the Mayo press easy at times. This is a very young team and has massive potential. The majority of counties in Ireland would love to be on the journey you guys have been on lads over the last 10 years so keep embracing it lads. Final point is Lee Keegan is an absolute warrior. Enjoy the club championship and it won't be long until the green and red are playing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Don't think I'll be buying the papers today. Had been hopeful of hitting the pub in celebration around this time. Sport can be cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I thought O'Shea was extremely poor in 2 of the biggest games in a row - semi final and now the final. Not just bad, but actually to the extreme that everything he touched turned to muck. Constantly giving the ball away in the Dublin game. ANd yesterday when he did get his hands on the ball, all he had to do was a simple handpass over one of the Tyrone guys into one of our forwards for a semi-goal chance. Couldn't even do that. Looks like his confidence is completed sapped. I'm not mocking him. These guys give up their lives for GAA; the rest of us just look on and get entertained. But you need to call it as it is. A readjustment needs to be made by the management. Can't have this outright running game, and then have the elephant in the room who is static most of the time. It was so obvious from being at the match yesterday. I don't know if it would matter, but I think Horan should have taken O'Shea off few mins into the second half, brought on a defender/marker, and freed up Enda Hession a little to add another pacy runner on some type of counter attack structure.

Don't know why Barrett is mentioned in that post. He retired. That's no different than saying that Tyrone would have won by more if they had Sean Kavanagh or Stephen O'Neill. Need to focus on who we have and who might be available. I don think Cillian O'Connor would have made a few points difference yesterday. He's very composed on the ball, and would spot runs made by Tommy Conroy and Ryan O'Donoghue quicker than those who were playing yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

This defeat hurts. And it’s one I think we’ll really come to regret quite badly. It was probably the most open championship since 2010. Certainly the most open final since then. With the big two (the Dubs and Kerry) out of the way, you have to take those chances when they come along. Too many players didn’t step up yesterday. Very wasteful with our chances. Too many bad decisions by our forwards and a general lack of composure.

Felt sorry for Keegan he was superb yesterday. Never stopped driving the team on. Time is running out for him now. Hate to think of it ending the same way for him as it did for Andy, Higgins and some others, but it’s looking likely he won’t get that elusive AI title he deserves.

Post edited by Zeek12 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Agree with all of that

Ive consistently stood up for Aido but I now accept his role should be one as an impact sub from next year .

Speaking of lack of composure in the finals ......Horan simply has to blood a new keeper next year. If he doesn’t then I’ll be very very worried about him as a manager and about our chances of winning anything over next few years. When the chips are down you have to be 100% certain of your keeper and that he is 100% certain of himself and all that he does.

We don’t have that . That’s beyond dispute now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I also feel sorry for Keegan. He's the best player we've ever had and it's sad to think he won't get a medal. He's the only one who showed up yesterday.

When things were going away from us he and Stephen Coen were the ones who really stood up.

Coen has had a lot of critics . We seen yday why he has captained minor , U21 and sigerson winning teams . He will captain the senior team within 2/3 years as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Here’s the Brolly article for anyone interested…

No more excuses please from football’s great time wastersJoe Brolly

Mayo is full of cliques and favourites as culture will not change under Horan who made Tyrone’s job easy

September 11 2021 10:08 PM

Time wasters. A lot of other counties would give their right arms to be here. The people of Mayo put their heart and soul into their team. And this is what they get?

A manager on the sideline making choices based on political considerations. A protected captain who does not lead and never will.

Substituting Pádraig O’Hora in the 51st minute after he had surged forward to win a free inside the Tyrone half and had been taking the game to Tyrone? Leaving passengers on the field?

It was embarrassing and enraging, even if it was inevitable. The shame is that with a high-performance culture based on merit, Mayo could be so much more than this. I got a text from Pat Gilroy on the final whistle. It said “culture”.

At the highest level, the best culture wins. Which is why, in the end, a middling Tyrone team still learning their trade won easily. They are serious.

With Dooher, Logan and Peter Canavan leading the group, there is a merciless search for success. No passengers. No favourites. Winning big games, as they know, is war without guns.

The six in-a-row Dubs might have been highly skilled, highly conditioned, and expertly coached, but they would not have won without bringing war. Tyrone were up for it. Mayo, with a few exceptions, were not. How could they be? They have too many distractions.

The game was finally over in the 25th minute. Aidan O’Shea was presented with the easiest goal chance I have seen in a final. The Tyrone keeper was caught out and had left his goal empty, chasing back fearing the worst.

His life must have flashed before his eyes. He needn’t have worried. “Oh for f**k sake” the Mayo man beside me said. My brother Proinsias texted me, “As I said our boy”.

When there are individuals who are undroppable and a manager has favourites, cliques form and it is not a team.

The players know this, and the true bonds of loyalty and togetherness that are compulsory for success are missing.

The manager talks a good game but it is merely talk. I feel bad for Mayo and its people and its wonderful clubs but until this malaise is rooted out, this will continue to be their reality.

Straws will be clutched at. Mayo missed a penalty when they were two points down. But when everything isn’t right, nothing is right.

The feeling of liberation at the absence of Dublin and the hope that Mayo might perform was soon replaced with a feeling that nothing has changed. Tyrone, all calm and composed and ruthless when it came to it, won by five points.

It could have been worse, if for the second game in a row, the ‘Son of God’ hadn’t missed what for him was an easy goal chance.

I have watched him with excitement since he was a teenager and have never seen him miss a goal chance. It must be the Carrickmore in him. He has his first Sam Maguire already. His father, who did not win his first until he was 33, must be well pleased.

I wrote last week that what happened in the last quarter of the Dublin game and in extra-time was not a game plan. It was a crazy, unpredictable, emotional energy that an underdog sometimes taps into.

Tyrone, meanwhile, gloved Kerry, with a miraculous performance from David Clifford keeping Kerry in it. Finals are unsentimental affairs. It is kill or be killed. It is culture v culture. And when one team’s philosophy is not based on the principles of logic and merit, defeat is inevitable. The back-to-the-drawing-board bullshit does not cut it.

Good culture is the backdrop for the decisive contributions that are required to win an All-Ireland. I think of the Meath team of Colm O’Rourke, all loyalty and stubbornness and refusal to accept defeat, winning All-Irelands against better teams on paper.

Or the 2008 Tyrone team. Or Down of 1991. Or us in 1993. Or the Dubs from 2011 onwards. Mayo’s manager will say, “We lost by a point” or “we missed a penalty” or “we couldn’t repeat our semi-final performance” but this is just bullshit.

Tyrone, a team picked on merit, with a culture of heads down, no commercial distractions and playing for the people of Tyrone, easily won. Two expertly-taken goals will be the headline, but the truth is that their culture is a world away from their opposition’s.

There were any number of moments where we turned to each other and said, “Well that’s the end of that”, but the truth is that this contest was over before it began.

Tyrone came in at half-time two up, after O’Hora had surged forward defiantly to win a 20-metre free that Ryan O’Donoghue easily converted. But the wheels of this sentimental, public-relations merry-go-round came off altogether in the second half.

McShane came on and fisted a superb goal from a terrific long diagonal ball. The ‘Son of God’ came on shortly afterwards and played with the precision and expertise one would expect from a Canavan.

The inevitable second Tyrone goal followed, a thrilling long kick-out from Morgan leading to an expertly-taken finish. Calm, precise, serious. Just what you’d expect from a serious team.

Thing is, Tyrone did not expect to be All-Ireland champions at the start of this season. But when they got Mayo in the final, they knew, and we knew, that it was going to happen. In the end, it is a question of culture.

Under this manager, Mayo are time wasters. Soul destroying for good footballers and good clubs. Soul destroying for the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Best player Mayo ever had? Not a hope. Liam McHale, Conor Mortimer, Andy Moran, Keith Higgins, Donie Vaughan etc. To name a few that were far superior to him and far more sportsmanlike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Well thats a load of rubbish!!! I wonder what he would have wrote if Mayo won.

Quick question for ye. McHale failed to make the 26 yesterday. I know his form in the last 2 matches was poor and Canning said Orme impressed in a recent A v B. But was McHale just dropped or any injury? Its quite a drop to go from starting a semi to not making 26 in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Mort and Donie Vaughan were better players than Lee Keegan?

It's nearly 1 o clock the next day,are you still on the sauce,topping up or what's the craic?

The game was finally over in the 25th minute. Aidan O’Shea was presented with the easiest goal chance I have seen in a final. The Tyrone keeper was caught out and had left his goal empty, chasing back fearing the worst”

Absolute scutter

Conor Loftus chance when there was no keeper and a defender lying on the ground who he hit the ball at was the best chance

Followed by Conroy’s

And of course the penalty

Bit yeah Aidan o Shea’s on at an angle outside the box with a defender in the way was the easiest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement