Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Is that true? With the vaccine uptake so high I’ve been assuming it’s fairly evenly distributed throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's in the Indo but it might be true anyway. 😀

I do wonder whether people might have travelled over the border to get vaxxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

If they have recently had Covid they don't need the vaccine, that might be a factor as obviously they have a higher percentage who have recently had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pathetic comment that says a lot about some attitudes in here. That "Piss poor" vaccination uptake is still over 80%, past that magic point that was once considered to be herd immunity.

Vaccination rates are superb across all of Ireland and still people want to talk about anti vaxxers and lie about piss poor uptake, I guess finding a boogyman to blame is easier than acknowledging that the vaccination program is sufficiently completed and that we should already be moving onto the next phase, not clinging to it for another couple of months as an easy excuse.

Looking at the data...

Of the cumulative number of confirmed cases in Donegal, the rate per 100,000 people is 11,667.04.

Of the cumulative number of confirmed cases in Waterford, the rate per 100,000 people is 6,456.58

The difference in cumulative cases is 5.2% of population.

The difference in cumulative vaccination is 15%.

So even if all those extra cases didn't get vaccinated and relied on infection-acquired immunity, there would still be a yawning gap.

Also, if they had amazing acquired immunity then their cases wouldn't be three times the national average.

The simplest explanation is that low vaccine coverage + exposure to less restricted UK => high case rate.

• Advertisement

Triggered much?

I'm not clinging to anything and am in favour of fully opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's pissing people off is the fact we have such a high vaccine uptake but what are getting for it ?, a slow reopening that proves the goalposts been moved and the cowardess of the leaders who still have lingeting thoughts of the mess of Christmas 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

How many in hospital for covid not with covid ?

UK still seems to have the jitters over restrictions ending

Well likely be copying our former overlords like we always do

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The old "Triggered" non answer, how trite.

You are describing areas with 80%+ vaccination rates as "piss poor" when that level would be considered good pretty much anywhere in the world. Why not at least be honest about your motives here.

My "motives", if you want to frame it like that, are for society to fully open up and the disease level to reduce.

If there was better vaccine coverage in Donegal then they probably wouldn't have three times the national covid rate.

What are your "motives"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think what we're getting for it is that we have around the tenth lowest case fatality rate in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Todays stats are in already, I can't link yet but suffice to say groundhog day

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Is that a positive or negative use of the word groundhog day? I think things are somewhat positive with the fact we're pretty much close to 14 days with schools open and no sign yet of a big upsurge in cases. If it stays roughly like this during next week and during college reopening then we're likely in the clear for October 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Very little increase in hospitalisations over the weekend.

62 less in hospital than this time last week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Attempts to try to answer questions about why levels are still high despite high vaccination levels are greeted with comments such as " pathetic " or " trite " , or assumptions that you want to " lockdown foreva" !

How dare we mention the UK except to praise or fawn !

Case numbers are higher in border areas especially . Spilling over from still high levels in NI , I said .

One only has to look at the incidence maps from the ECDC to see this !

Vaccination levels while high are obviously not high enough yet to cope with these high infection rates . Which is what you have been saying?

This is exactly what has been happening up in north. Their hospitals are still under severe pressure with Covid admissions and in ICU .

No blame just fact .

But yet this is still unacceptable to some who don't appear to have any explanation themselves as to why our cases remain higher than our EU counterparts who have similar levels of vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yes I said it's pathetic to blame the UK. It is, we're 18 months into this and any time we have a spike the best reasoning we can come up with is the UK. At best you could say it hurts the border counties, but our case numbers have been high across the country for several months now. Putting that on being beside the UK is lazy, and we haven't been given any sort of explanation from the HSE/NPHET as to why we've been so much higher than the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I keep hearing that line, much higher than the rest of Europe. It annoys me. It generally excludes the UK (people think leaving the Eu means leaving Europe)

What people really mean is we have high numbers compared to the rest of Eastern Europe. Spain, France, Portugal have peaked before us, but like them, we're on the downward trend.

I've no idea why we had a massive drop in that chart before increasing again. But as you know, cases are falling in Ireland and Western Europe, but increasing in Eastern Europe.

Exactly .

Not blaming spikes on UK but it is the area we are adjacent to and have most contact with along with other countries in Western Europe . Portugal and Spain by the way had more contact with UK via tourism when Delta started to spread and they had their wave before us.

But don't mention the UK .....

@AdamD All our waves have followed waves in the UK .

Why do you think that is ?

Well, I guess we can’t look at the facts if they offend people. You wouldn’t want to be criticising any reckless Tory policies or anything like that. It’s mean and hurts their feelings. Remember, poor old Boris has been doing his best in trying circumstances and no amount of messy hair or catchy catch phrases seems to eliminate the virus. It’s so unfair!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This line of thinking is totally nonsensical - if cases go down, its because of those extra few vaccines administered, if they go up its because we havent administered enough. Sounds all well and good until you look at data from around the world - vaccines dont put an end to any waves of infection, that happens on its own.

Israel, Iceland, Belgium all saw cases spike long after high vaccinations, and actually going back even further - before vaccinations, we saw waves of the virus rise and fall - the exact same thing is happening here. Vaccines prevent hospitalisations from being as high (10% or less of non-vax number), but they do not stop the trend (rise and fall).

What we are seeing now is the fall of this delta wave. We have long hit diminishing returns on vaccination rollout in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

BMI >40 is a risk indicator, this is a much smaller (excuse the pun) proportion of the population than many believe. The diet/fitness industry is however going to exploit this for years and the temperance movement will also be on board because anyone trying to loose weight will need to also moderate their drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"I live beside an industrial waste processing plant that sometimes releases up to 100,000 litres of contaminated water into the local river, where I get my drinking water from. I have set up every filtration mechanism I can get my hands on, yet on these days the quality of my water drops massively. You don't think the two could be linked, do you?"

Scale matters, Adam. The UK has 14 times the amount of people that we do and we share a completely uncontrolled border. When they flood us with sh1te, we can't put up flood defences, we can only wear waterproof gear and hope that we're not badly affected.

The UK has been an absolute sh1tshow throughout this pandemic, and by circumstance we've been dragged along by them. It's not lazy to blame the UK, it's fact. They have one of the worst infections and deaths records on the planet, a direct result of the "let the bodies pile high" Tory attitude. So by consequence, we are exposed to that. Politically, the government are unwilling to point fingers and cause conflict, but the dogs on the street know that this is why our case rates have been so consistently high despite our strong restrictions.

Our strong restrictions are the only thing that have protected us in any way from the Tory sh1tshow.

Until vaccination that is. Now cases are still on the rise in the UK and finally we're seeing ours come down. Because our vax rates are that much higher than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

@timmyntc wrote:

What we are seeing now is the fall of this delta wave. We have long hit diminishing returns on vaccination rollout in this country.

The vaccination rollout has stalled in a number of areas well short of potential, and some of those areas are suffering particularly large numbers of cases.

It's difficult to seperate the factors (vaccine hesitancy, promixity to the UK where restrictions are lower, ignoring social distancing/mask wearing etc), so I don't know how you can be so confident that the one correlated factor (low vaccine take up) isn't responsible.

Most cases are in young people, young people have lower vaccine coverage. If we care about cases (I'm not sure I do, particularly, but public health seem to) it seems sensible to try to raise vaccine coverage in a group that where there's most transmission.

Germany has open borders with numerous countries with much higher case rates and deaths throughout, they've kept cases and deaths relatively low in spite of that.

It's a bit lazy to pin so much blame on the UK. Of course it has contributed, but Irish people are very social, that has contributed as much as a soft border. The difference in vaccination rates is negligible, 65 vs about 71, and we only pulled ahead of them in August. Factor in the UK's previous infections and data from their antibody study and you can't say there'd be any significant difference in acquired immunity in the two areas right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is no other country in Europe that has a border like ours. You can't even call it a "soft" border. Ireland is for all intents and purposes a single jurisdiction when it comes to movement of people. We are not an island separated by a border. Ian Paisley Sr. even said it himself; "Our people are British but our cattle are Irish". When foot & mouth was around, we instituted border controls between the island of Ireland and the island of Britain. Because everyone knew that was the only way to control infection.

This time around, Northern Ireland refused to institute border controls between Ireland and Britain, thereby meaning that there was no border of any kind between the two jurisidictions.

This is in contrast to the rest of Europe (and almost the rest of the world) where formal, controllable borders exist between jurisdictions. German police can stand at the border and turn people around. Gardai & PSNI can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Christ on a bike, the penny has dropped.

Vaccinated adults and children under 13 with mild symptoms of Covid-19 would no longer be advised to get a test for the disease under a plan to dismantle the State’s mass testing regime, the Irish Independent can reveal.

A paper drawn up for the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) proposes to, in the first instance, “discourage” the testing of children under 13 who have mild symptoms, provided their condition does not deteriorate.

Vaccinated adults with mild symptoms would also no longer require a test.

I've frequently said this can't end until we change the metrics used to justify restrictions. They've obviously just realised that too

The paper says the current testing regime is “medicalising daily life in ways that may have significant social consequences” including keeping children home from school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

For the love of god don’t tell this woman that testing will hopefully be scaled back!!! She’ll have a banger!!

Advertisement