Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Kenya playing Colombia in a qualifier today

winner progresses to the repechage that Ireland will play in if they finish second in the european qualifiers in few weeks time though obviously we want to not to have to play in that and be qualifying after winning the group against Scotland Italy and Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

The IRFU have brokered a deal for Ireland international, Linda Djougang to join current French champions ASM Romagnat Rugby for the 2021/22 season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,790 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

interesting!

hopefully we see much more of this

and hopefully the IRFU are better than the English premiership clubs when it comes to their treatment of their pro and semi pro women!

So anyone watch the games today.

only saw first half of Connacht Leinster. disappointing not to see Connacht get win as thought they were doing very well in that first half

And a 50-5 win for Munster up in Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Unfortunately not. Hoping to catch the Connacht Leinster game on player during the week. And also planning on getting the little one to her first game in Donnybrook on either the 4th or 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I saw the last 15 minutes of the Munster game. Truth be told, I did not even know they were on the TV till I came across them by chance.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Saw a good deal of the Con/Lein game - Connacht had enough pressure and chances to win but maybe not enough guile. Entertaining match though.

World cup qualifiers schedule finally confirmed

13 September, 2021

15:00 – Scotland v Italy

18:00 – Spain v Ireland

19 September, 2021

15:00 – Italy v Ireland

18:00 – Spain v Scotland

25 September, 2021

15:00 – Italy v Spain

18:00 – Ireland v Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Big win for Leinster. 57-12. Missed a load of conversions too as a lot of the tries were scored out wide.

• Advertisement

So Leinster Munster to decide 1st and Connacht Ulster to decide 3rd on Saturday

And 28 player squad for world cup qualifiers named

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/09/07/griggs-names-28-player-ireland-squad-for-rugby-world-cup-2021-europe-qualifier/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Thoroughly deserved win for Munster over Leinster. Apart from goalkicking the standard of rugby on show was very good. Seemed to be a good attendance and cracking atmosphere as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That video was doing the rounds at the game last night, it's utterly disgusting. I don't understand why the IRFU didn't push for an update on the guidelines (26 August is a long time ago) and argue for the dressing rooms to be open. If not there are so many other venues with changing rooms within spitting distance of Donnybrook, and empty bars in the clubhouses either end. I'm told dressing rooms are open in Ulster, there were tents behind the stands in Musgrave but no idea what went on in the Sportsgrounds.

Not my screenshots but did it need to be a copy and paste job? I also believe Leinster changed in that location last week but players couldn't go public about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Anyone want to comment on the standard of the games yesterday? Saw only a bit of the first game but watched most of the SH of the decider and thought the standard was excellent.

Didn't see the first game but was at Leinster v Munster. It was a cracking game. Everyone was up for it, every ball was contested and nobody wanted to leave that field no matter how badly injured.

Some great performances on both sides, Chloe Pearse was a machine. Muirne Wall was everywhere! Leinster started a lock who was carrying an injury judging by the amount of tape on her leg. She stayed on for longer than she should have but they really missed her when she went off. Think Leinster missed their internationals more than Munster. Jenny Murphy's yellow was idiotic.

Couldn't call the game for 65 minutes, balance kept shifting, heads didn't drop, the fight went on.

Thought the officials were weak, high tackles went unpunished, offside and in from the side rarely pinged. Touch judges were decorative rather than active on anything other than balls going over the line. The worst was when there was a contested ball near one of the sidelines and a player banged her head so hard we heard and felt it, right in front of a touch judge. Same player stayed on for the full game, yes that's on the team medics too but the TJ should have called the ref.

It's a shame the quality of the rugby has been overshadowed by the shoddy treatment of the players, because the quality of the rugby, despite the missing internationals, was something special.

not a cut and paste job

its a joint press release

Lacks empathy or genuine apology. It's also been confirmed that Leinster had to change there last weekend but couldn't speak out about it, hence other teams having to deal with it this weekend.

• Advertisement

So Amateur Sport can't have changing rooms. I wonder how Mayo and Tyrone coped?

Touch Judges at this level dont have same powers as those in mens professional rugby where you have assistant referees. Touch Judges assist with touch, touch in goal, kicks at goal and foul play. how much were the offsides material? Same with in the side.

Yeah big shame about players and changing facilities. A lot of that on the IRFU with not having dressing rooms in the grounds available to due gov regs but provincial branches should have been able to think of something better to taking that to account...

Irish team to face Spain tomorrow named

15. Eimear Considine (UL Bohemian/Munster)(18)

14. Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (Railway Union/Munster)(2)

13. Lucy Mulhall (Rathdrum/Leinster)*

12. Sene Naoupu (Old Belvedere/Leinster)(41)

11. Beibhinn Parsons (Ballinasloe/Blackrock College/Connacht)(11)

10. Stacey Flood (Railway Union/Leinster)(3)

9. Kathryn Dane (Old Belvedere/Ulster)(13)

1. Lindsay Peat (Railway Union/Leinster)(34)

2. Cliodhna Moloney (Wasps/IQ Rugby)(26)

3. Linda Djougang (Old Belvedere/Leinster)(12)

4. Aoife McDermott (Railway Union/Leinster)(16)

5. Nichola Fryday (Blackrock College/Connacht)(18)

6. Dorothy Wall (Blackrock College/Munster)(7)

7. Ciara Griffin (UL Bohemian/Munster)(Captain)(36)

8. Brittany Hogan (DCU/Old Belvedere/Ulster)(4).

Replacements:

16. Neve Jones (Malone/Ulster)(3)

17. Laura Feely (Blackrock College/Connacht)(19)

18. Leah Lyons (Sale/IQ Rugby)(26)

19. Sam Monaghan (Wasps/IQ Rugby)*

20. Edel McMahon (Wasps/IQ Rugby)(9)

21. Emily Lane (Blackrock College/Munster)(3)

22. Enya Breen (UL Bohemian/Munster)(6)

23. Lauren Delany (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)(14).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭mun1

Wouldn’t agree the officials were weak and the TJ’s “decorative” as you put it.

Thought referee in main match was very good and allowed for the poor tackle/contact technique at times.

the so called shoddy treatment of the players didn’t overshadow the quality of the rugby for me anyway, and I’m sure it didn’t for the players either .

It's always a very different game live compared to on TV. My comments are based on what I saw live and watching the TJ in front of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Such bullshyt about Donnybrook.

The apology is bullshyt too. Some official looked at that and signed off on it, which makes it a significant governance problem.

The correct move would have been to say that Donnybrook wasn't a suitable venue and the games moved entirely to somewhere like Belvo or the IRFU pitches at the NSC where there would have been all the space necessary for temporary changing facilities.

Who needs Covid when you can get hepatitis and Weil's disease just putting on your friggin boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,345 ✭✭✭✭phog

I thought the Leinster/Munster game was brilliant and Munster fully deserved their win, they really should have been ahead at halftime but in fairness Leinster's defence was great and Munster got turned over or fumbled the ball when in or close to scoring positions. Munster faded or Leinster upped their game in the 2nd quarter and it looked like Munster could be in b other. The second half was swings and roundabouts for both teams but I felt Munster had the upper hand and that it was a matter of time before we scored.

The changing location provided to the teams were an utter disgrace and the IRFU should be ashamed of themselves. It goes to show we don't really know what's happening behind the scenes.

Immediately after the match most of what I read on social media was how good the games were and all things good about women's rugby then the clip of the changing area is released and it shows where women's rugby really is in the game. They're the poor relations.

Italy beat Scotland 38-13

stream on world cup site https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2021/european-qualifier-live-stream

Good start by Ireland. Beibhinn Parsons with opening try. 7-3 up 12mins gone

• Advertisement

scrappy since the try. too many unforced errors and only for ALMC being able to cover 3 attackers Spain could have been winning right now.

Advertisement