Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sergio, Rose and Lowry I think, postman in trouble.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭techdiver

1 round? And 2 bad holes for Shane and he's kept battling to the end? Shane has won bigger tournaments than this one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Has Rose done enough? It’s not like he won, he will probably finished around 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Any verbal commitment to anyone is meaningless. In fact if they were made, it was a mistake on Harrington's part, how could he have made any assumptions about the cards in he would have in his hand come teatime today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I think there's something wrong with the points system if Wiesberger gets in automatically over Lowry. Wiesberger did win a tournament but let's face it, it was a rubbish one in Denmark.

Lowry has been up there in the PGA, the players, the open and the memorial, all big events. Wiesberger has never had a top 10 in the States in his entire career as far as I know.

I know they're trying to reward those that played a lot in Europe but at the end of the day you want to bring the best team possible, especially when it's being held in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Scrabbel

I can’t see Padraig not picking Shane where Shane lost out as a result of Rory choosing not to play this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I really hope so, but I think Shane cracking on the back nine under pressure today will have to be taken into account. The Ryder Cup is all about performing under pressure and unfortunately Shane failed to rise to the occasion this afternoon.

Harsh, but golf is a game of small margins. The fact that he birdied the last two holes after having the disastrous five minutes on 14 and 15 must count in his favour, but I think Padraig will find it difficult to justify picking him ahead of Rose, given their relative performance this afternoon when the pressure was on.

Poulter, on the other hand, failed to make the cut this week and is well behind Lowry in points gained this season and in the current world rankings. If he gets a pick, it will purely be based on his reputation as “Mr Ryder Cup” and I would hope that Padraig is brave enough to pick Lowry in preference to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Poulter has won 3 Ryder cup points since 2012

is he still Mr Ryder Cup?

You mention Lowry's and Rose's performance under pressure this week, but by that logic shouldn't he pick Donaldson? He performed better under pressure than Rose and Lowry!

• Advertisement

No, because he was nowhere near automatic qualification. I assume you were being deliberately disingenuous in asking that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Scrabbel

His post round interview looks like how it would be if a player already knew has was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He's Mister vice-captain team room motivator Ryder Cup. Little argument to pick him to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Poulter as a vice-captain and the other three in the team does seem like one way out of this for Harrington.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Could Fitzpatrick have overtaken Wiesenberger on the EP list without that quad on 17? Know it doesn't matter now, just interested.

Think Shane over JR is a big call, over Poults not so much. Paddy has made a bit of a rod for his back with his Poulter and Sergio comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wrong thread

Fitzpatrick was ahead of Wiesberger in the standings before the 17th 🙈

Final summary prior to announcement:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭Xander10

P1- Garcia

P2- Lowry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

And the Postman has come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

No real surprises in those 3 picks imo

Agree with the first two choices. Based on the numbers, it's a bit of a toss up between the final two, so it's hard to argue that it's definitely a wrong decision. But Rose must be feeling very disappointed and I imagine that was a very difficult phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

What stats is Padraig looking at?

He should have said less on reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

My bias really shows up based off those numbers. Complete coin toss between poulter and Rose but my dislike of poulter had rose way ahead of him in my head.

Bit disappointed with the way Paddy has handled the picks tbh. What has he gained by saying Sergio and Poults are locks all along?

It's really puzzling and I just don't get it.

Ooof, would've been tough on Bernd though.

Looking at it, I think I would've picked Sergio, Shane and Noren.

It's a pity Lee didn't drop out as his form looks pretty ropey and his short-range putting as always is an obvious weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Only 2 missed cuts in last 15 tournies. Made the cut in all the majors. 5th on tour for putting (1.708 putts per hole). Putting gets it done in matches and it would be a pretty crucial stat. Surprisingly, he's also 15th on tour for eagles per hole. Not bad for a shorter hitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I just made a general statement. You’re referring to someone but you don’t say who

I'd have picked Rose over Poulter. The Postman (ugh) has done very little since Medinah.

• Advertisement

I imagine Harrington must've been gutted that Wiesberger made the team. If Shane had remained in the automatic slots he'd have picked Rose/Poulter/Garcia and nobody would've questioned it.

Advertisement