Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

How are people making a call on return date when he hasn't even been scanned yet? Probably be Tuesday by the time he's scanned no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, I mean it's total best case scenario estimates, if everything is clean and uncomplicated. Of course no-one'll know if that's the case for a few days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Relief that it is not a double bone break, hope for the best, hopefully the news will gradually get better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I agree it wasn't a terrible tackle and probably not a red. Feel bad for Elliot hopefully that's not a game changer for him. I don't post here much anymore and just saw your post when I logged in. I only came to say Tyler's reaction to our second was comical, he's a meme unto himself at this stage. I hope old age kills him before we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Loads of Leeds supporters where I live now. Coincidentally from close to where I used to live.

In real time I didn't think it was a red. But I'm a football man and don't wanna look again.

Just you mentioned Firpo...not familiar with him but taught he was fairly poor.

IMHO no need to mention fans at games. Some are fools some are great...and then there is us idiots on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Wouldn't be surprised to see Elliot out til next season to be honest.

Based on your pessimistic attitude and nothing else.....

• Advertisement

Yeah based on that and also that Harvey was facing one direction and his ankle was facing the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Koop confirmed it’s a dislocated ankle. So he’s out for about 8 weeks at least

OK, not sure how bookmark till next year year but I expect elliot to feature in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I may be missing something here, player was out of control, at least it looks like it, and the momentum endangers the player and results in a serious injury. For anyone to try and say this was not a red or a bad tackle, it doesn't have to be the worst tackle ever to be a red. If he stays on his feet, then Elliot doesn't get injured. But referees have been encouraging players to go in harder due to the way they are refereeing matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

These stats show why not having the two best in the world playing together last season effected the whole team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Haven't been able to find a close up or alternative angle, if they even exist, but looking at the broadcast shot again, it looks like he briefly caught Elliot's leg in a scissor motion which is what caught it in the ground and did the damage. That's a red if it is indeed what it looks like.

It doesn't need to be intentional to be daft and dangerous. I'm sure we'll be hearing about how poor Pascal Struijk is "not that type of player" for the next while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Elliott will undergo surgery on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I would be absolutely delighted if that happened. But id expect them to err on the side of caution with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Does anyone know how the tackle from behind rule has changed over the years? I’m old enough to remember before the 1994 world cup it was announced that any tackle from behind was a straight red card. I think it was brought in after a career ending challenge on Marco Van Basten. It was very controversial at the time but it was enforced for a couple of years at least.

That and the introduction of sky sports and the premier league resulted in a big change in attitudes compared to the 70s and 80s when every team seemed to have a hard man ‘enforcer’ type player who would kick lumps out of the other teams more talented players.

When did tackling from behind stop being an automatic red? Was there a decision made sometime by a rules committee or was it just a gradual reversion to the old rule?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Great to get an "experts" opinion, at least it's all cleared up now thanks to DrumSteve who no doubt has at the very least a MSc in Sports Science and of course future vision to see a diagnose the scans from 2 to 4 days in the future.

Of course I could be wrong in this assumption, there is a small chance that DrumSteve is a middle age potatoe couch that makes all his assumptions from MOTD but seems "unlikely"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

No need for that. It’s in the air as to whether he’s out for the season or not. It’s a discussion forum and the poster just started a discussion. You promptly killed that discussion.

The fact he's confirmed as a having surgery would make me assume he'll be out for a good number of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Sarcasm isn't as effective when you get a well known term the wrong way round.

Yes, that's correct, I am a potato couch.

Fuckin hell, stop being so sensitive, it's a discussion forum where we're discussing Liverpool. I could be wrong, I could be right. Honestly, at the end of the day, who gives a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gutted for Harvey, didn't care about the game after that totally lost interest. Dislocated ankle would put him out for about 3-4 months so thankfully his season isn't over. Horrible injury for such a young player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

How long would it take to eat a potato couch I wonder. Will prove to be a good 3 points yesterday

Liverpool going very much under the radar this season. 10 points from 4 games and only conceding one goal so far and that was to Chelsea. Delighted with the start so far. Very solid in midfield and at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You wouldn't think that with the way toys were flying from prams here two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

No idea why Drumsteves post was picked on, there was plenty of opinions and discussions regards the type of injury and the recovery time before his post, I doubt all those previous posters were fully qualified to give medical opinions either.

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There was no scissor motion. He came in from the side (and slightly behind) and his trailing leg happened to land on Elliott's trailing ankle, trapping it under his weight. The sort of tackle you'll see numerous times in every single game, just usually without the very unfortunate outcome.

Elliott on is Instragram.

I’m of course absolutely devastated with what happened yesterday at Leeds, but have been totally overwhelmed by the love and support shown to me by the entire football world following the injury. Thank you so much to everyone who has reached out or sent messages to me and my family, it means so much to us. Also a massive thanks to everyone inside Elland Road for the reception you gave me immediately after it happened ❤️

I am now fully focused on my recovery and will give everything in my rehabilitation to be back out there as soon as I can. I know I have an incredible support network behind me at Liverpool and together we will get through this.

To all of the Liverpool fans, your support means the world to me. I’m one of you and I can’t wait to be back faster, fitter and stronger to help the team in the future.

You’ll Never Walk Alone! ❤️#HE67💎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

By reports it was dislocated and the medical team put it back in,

But ankles are awfully complicated the surgery could be for ligament damaged or he could have broke a part of the socket when it came out, (happened to me with a shoulder dislocation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

If he hasn’t done it before then it almost certainly fractured the socket on the way out! I’ve broken it twice, most recently just 8 weeks ago, I’m only a week out of the boot as it is!

The fact he needs surgery suggests ligament damage. My experience is that I’ve no ligament damage and don’t need surgery, but it will still be Nov/Dec before I can even think about running or putting excess weight on it!

So just purely based on the timeframes I’m currently looking at with no surgery it’s about 16 weeks before I can train, cost me what was to be my last season playing rugby!

I’ve also not Liverpool’s medical staff on top of me which may cancel out the surgery Harvey needs, but I doubt we’ll see him before Jan.

Thiago was brilliant yesterday we almost forget how good he is at times,

Huge chance for Jones now to step up

The best and most important player at the club is without a doubt Fab for me.

VVD, Salah & Ali will always be credited as transformative signings however without Fab none of it ties together.

The work he gets through and does protecting the defence and letting us play the highline is amazing.

Without him you don't get Matip up in the opposition half setting up the first goal.

Without him you don't get Thiago having the freedom of controlling the tempo of the game.

Without him you don't get an 18 year old Elliott having the freedom to express himself on that pitch.

Without him you don't get the fullbacks playing like wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A professional three points yesterday. We were solid and took enough of our chances. Leeds are woeful against the top sides though. They offer little to no resistance to superior teams who go toe to toe with them, it's like they just see games against the top sides as throwaway and their meat and drink is against 7th down. Can understand it to a degree I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Even by just starting Elliot in that game again yesterday showed how much faith Klopp has in him. He has started 3 games in a row in the league now, and in each game a senior player was benched, who we thought would be starting in it. For Burnley, it was Thiago, Chelsea it was Keita & then yesterday it was Henderson. That's before we even talk about Curtis Jones or Milner.

What interested me was the sort of hybrid role that Elliot was playing where he was a centre mid, with freedom to move into a '10 position' role but also seemed to hug the touchline at times and allow Trent, and Salah, to move infield. The triangle between those 3 players on the right has given a lot of success and I am sort of wondering did Klopp plan for this last season. A move to use the 3rd midfielder spot to be a sort of enabler for Trent & Salah. He was looking for a player to do this, possibly recruit one. Maybe Saul was that man, or the German kid. But then pre-season arrived and in steps Harvey Elliot and he plays this role so well that Klopp says wait a minute why bother bringing in someone when we have the answer here under our noses. He does prefer to coach players rather than purchase anyways so maybe he was like lets try him out and go from there. He even shifted Hendo over to the left side of midfield against Chelsea, instead of his usual right side, just to continue playing Elliot on the right.

So where do we go from here? Is this tactic of the triangle on the right with the overloads going to be 'retired' for now? Or will he try and use Henderson in that role instead? He can certainly perform the centre mid aspect to the game, and even staying wide with ability to cross the ball. He was terrible as that role in the 1-1 game at Old Trafford a few years ago, but he has the ability to do it. I think it was the Southampton 3-1 win away the same year where he played very well out that side. He is very used to covering Trent also and at times 2 years ago he almost played at RCB at times he was so deep and allowing Trent to bomb on. I don't think this role would suit Thiago and Keita prefers to be a bit deeper I think, and also more of a left sided player. Maybe this is an opportunity for Jones to try and win that spot, and Ox too. Ox is a bit more direct for this role though IMO.

Post edited by Fitz* on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Probably take till the middle of next August to eat that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I would be inclined to agree with you. He is such a silky player, and the difference to the overall team with him in midfield is stark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Anyone else think that was Salah's most unselfish performance in a long time yesterday? He seemed to have his head up a lot more and looking for team mates movement in and around the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

2nd this, Fab is class and it was of no coincidence that our worst spell last years was when we had to play him in the back 4! Completely different team with him back in the DM role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The attitude of Leeds, both management and fans, to Elliott's injury really leaves a sour taste.

Not asking for 50 lashes or anything but the decent thing to do would be to take it on the chin and move on. If the roles were reversed they'd be absolutely fuming and they know it.

There's something quite odious about some of the inferences people are making towards Elliott, as if it was his own fault for his movement or inexperience. That goes for pundits as well. They should take a long look in the mirror today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Only things I heard or saw were the majority of Elland Road applauding him off and Bielsa offering his best to the player in his post match interview. Was there something else Leeds did as a club that I've missed?

• Advertisement

Another thing to note was just how bad Ox was when he came on. Seemed to get in the way of our own players and was easily dispossessed off the ball in a wide open midfield. Hope he improves.

Go onto another superthread and see some of the comments for yourself. Both Bielsa and owner said it wasn't a red card as well.

Have to admit, I thought it was a harsh red myself. If he doesn't get the serious injury, would so many be saying it's a red? Doubt it

I wonder could Firmino play the role Elliot was playing although that means no attacker on the bench ,,

It's a shame we ave no more left footed midfielder's because that space Elliot was in is made for a lefty ,

Curtis Jones could try his hand at it but might have to shift it to the opposite side of the midfield to work , ,

It was a dumb tackle that they aren't allowed to commit, hence the straight red. When you make a tackle like that the follow through is key and it's spot on that it's stamped out thoroughly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement