Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2021 Round 14: Monza

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

He's trying to avoid the sausage kerb - the very thing that punted him into the air. Harsh penalty, was a racing incident imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Maybe he should have tried to avoid hitting another car instead. He knows Hamilton is there and he knows the gap isn't there. It was bailout time for 99.9% of drivers.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

It’s not possible to steer when your in the air! At the point that pic was taken I think his front wheels were already airbourne…. He could have spun the wheel in loop de loops it wouldn’t make a lick of difference.

So he came into the corner too hot and lost control of his car. A 3 place grid penalty seems fair enough so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Shame Rosberg wasn’t with Sky this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

Well no, he had nowhere to go except off the track, Lewis had a ton of room on his outside and the rules are pretty explicit that he should have left a car’s width, which he didn’t. Nothing in the rules say it’s the duty of the overtaking car to drive off the circuit in the event that the defending car breaks the rules and turns into you.

Put it this way, and this is just how I see it! Take your pic and roll it back a few frames… where is max to go? Go right and he’s into Lewis, go left and he’s into the same sausages he hits anyway and still gets launched…. My view is it was a reaching incident and a 3 place penalty says to me that the FIA need to be seen to do something! RB we’re going to be doing the engine change in Sochi anyway so the pen doesn’t really have an impact and everyone walks away happy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The gap was there and Max was entitled to go for it - as Brundle himself said. Hamilton knew he was there and closed the door. They are both equally to blame, except in the eyes of the stewards unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Some people think Verstappen should have pressed the invisibility button so Hamilton could drive through him happily.

But when is an overtake attempt a kamikaze dive down the inside on a corner? Look, there's not a driver alive that doesn't turn in there when they are clearly ahead and your opponent is off the track. Max should have bailed like Lewis on the first lap but decided to stick it down the inside regardless.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was a fine line alright. I don't buy into the theory that Max took him out on purpose. But as the driver coming from behind he has to make a split second decision to either stick it in and hope for the best or take the sensible approach and bail a little earlier. A 3 place penalty is about as weak as they could have gone IMO and shows there wasn't a whole lot in it.

Pretty much my view! I’d have been happier with no pen but it won’t have a huge impact if he takes the expected engine change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I knew he would get a penalty as soon as I heard Horner call it a racing incident.

Horner usually blames mercedes for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Is it just me or did the sausage kerb turn this from a simple racing incident to something more serious. It seems to be what launched Max in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

Thought the same thing when the majority here said racing incident.

For me it's a bit of both. There was a gap that Max 100% knew was going to disappear before he got through it. He's made a career from sticking his nose down the inside like that. Likewise, if you're in Hamiltons seat and you see the person behind you off the track and behind you then you can be 100% sure he's going to turn into that corner.

Yeah I think Ted said something along those lines earlier today, was asking why couldn’t they have been normal kerb’s! (Or is it curb?!? We’ll never know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'd agree, there should be an investigation into that. I'd have said it was a racing incident but a 3 place grid penalty is probably a similar enough penalty to what Hamilton got in Silverstone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They put in the sausage kerb because the normal kerbs were being completely ignored and having no effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Well done Bottas on a great weekend from start to finish. Very little praise for him here, but that's normal enough.

I can't believe the Max penalty. For me, if anything, Lewis was slightly more to blame. Max was well up beside him (the rule is his front axle to be ahead of Lewis' rear, right?), his front axle was just behind Lewis's front axle, the gap was there, but then Lewis closed him off to clip the apex of T2. I've taken a few stills to illustrate my point:

1: Max outbreaks Lewis into T1 and gets up into a good position, slightly behind Lewis.

2: Into T2 the gap is there. The right lock that Max has on in the still (and the one posted earlier) has been on since T1 and was not done deliberately, as seemed to be implied by that earlier poster.

3: Lewis turns left to cut off Max, who also puts on full left lock to take the apex.

4: Nothing can be done at this stage. Bad luck that the rear tyres collided, but had Lewis been further right they would not have done and both drivers would have most likely continued. Just look at T1 on the first lap to a line of cars taking T1 and T2 2 abreast and not colliding (last still).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Both Red Bull drivers were too stubborn for their own good when it came to chicanes this weekend. I think they will still be happy enough though having increased the gap in the drivers championship at a track where Mercedes should have been stronger.

Bottas will help will win Mercedes win the constructors the way things are going. It would not surprise me if he actually won the next race in Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If be was correcting an oversteer caused by loss of grip at the back, then he would have to steer right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Another points finish for Williams and Russell too. Hardly got a mention. Good to see the team improving this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That poster would be me and I didn't say he turned in deliberately. What I said was that there is no good reason to be still turning right that deep into the corner with a car outside you and closing the gap. Max came in too hot to T1 and was always going to run wide going into the entrance of T2. Even if Hamilton left a car width Max was in no position to take that apex and would have pushed into him one way or another.

It's a racing incident mixed with some hotheadness by Max.

Think it's clear he overcooked T1 and was struggling big time to keep it between the white lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Well you said that that onboard would be the key reason for the stewards to give the penalty. He was still coming out of T1 at that stage. A couple of frames later he had left lock on, as I showed in my stills. Here's the clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭barryribs

Why should Hamilton have to back out every single time they are racing? Imola, Spain, lap 1 today, off the top of my head. Every single time he's either had the option of backing out, going off track or colliding with Max. Red Bull seem to be endowed with some devine right that both cars can consistently force other cars off track. When your team boss is saying something like "Thankfully Lewis had got out of it because otherwise he would have ended up in the fence." then what do Red Bull expect

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Great go and watch something else. Don't need anymore toxic fanboys anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He didn't back out in Silverstone. Got a piddly penalty that he had practically wiped out by the time he was forced to take it and won the race.

I said it 'may' have been why the steward's took the line they did. I'd also say he's well out of T1 and already at the entrance of T2 in the frame I posted. Look at where they are positioned in the frame I posted. That's nowhere near T1.

Which was a BS penalty, the same as the 3 place penalty Max has been given. Both minimal for racing incidents. Now tell me the difference between what Hamilton did at turn 4/5 on lap one and what Max did at turn one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭lolie

Delighted for the Honey badger to finally get another win, hopefully many more to come.

For Bottas credit where it's due he drove brilliantly all weekend. Like a man fighting to keep his drive, only problem is it came the weekend after he lost his drive so it must be bitter sweet.

As for the crash I'm all for Max winning this year but cant see how people think Hamilton is at fault.

It looked like a racing incident and thankfully Hamilton came away uninjured but ultimately it was Max bouncing off the kerb that caused the collision that took them both out of the race so a penalty is justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭McFly85

Really surprised the stewards decided Max was more at fault, but it is what it is. Fully expect a new Verstappen PU next race, possibly Hamilton too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Is Zak Brown the biggest hype man in the paddock.

On both the radio calls to both drivers all you could hear in the background was Zak whooping and yeahing

He must be great for morale in the team

• Advertisement

In Silverstone Lewis had acres of space to his right but still turned his wheel left to try and cut Max off despite being behind him, which we caused a crash!

Today max went in hot, Lewis didn’t give room and max hit the sausys, literally the only place he could go, and bounced into lewis! that’s a big difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What a race. Delighted for both Mclaren and Daniel Riciarrdo. No one could have seen that coming. As for Hamilton and Max I would say it was a racing incident but thankfully no one hurt and Max still in the lead of the championship. Still hoping he wins the WDC this year.

Valltari Bottas drove good too. Hope he can keep that form up and carry it on into next year.

Costly day and a bad weekend for Alpha Tauri.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Why would you want to be on the far right of the track when your coming into a right hand corner, maximising the angle of the corner?

You mean he couldn't turn left earlier, exactly like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think the stewards looked at Hamilton on turn 4-said Max could have turned onto the gravel and that it was Lewis’ corner.

If that’s their decision, fair enough. I agree with Brundle though. Max earned the space and the gap was there, they were wheel to wheel on contact. For me, Lewis could have left the room and still come out ahead.

• Advertisement

Lewis cut him off immediately when he exited the pit so max couldn’t move right! At no point in the move could he move right! That ended with him hitting a sausage and bouncing into Lewis! I’m not blaming Lewis for it but Max could literally not do anything to avoid it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Rewatching on C4 and there's an annoying 2 second delay between pictures and sound.

It takes a really twisted and partisan worldview to think people who want to see fair racing are toxic.

He didn't cut him off at all, he moved over towards the racing line, which is the natural defensive line. Max could have bailed at any point, either by getting out of the corner or going over the kerbs, never got close to even being alongside him, never mind ahead. Go look at his move on Massa in 2017 at the same chicane, its almost a carbon copy of what he did today

About the only thing he could have done to not hit Lewis was take the escape road. Max was going to run wide in T2 even if Lewis left a cars width for him.

Max was slightly more at fault for what was otherwise a racing incident.

I don't know if it will link correctly but there's a fixed-angle shot around 1:33 which makes it very clear that Verstappen was at fault. He just bombs in over the kerbs like he's playing Gran Turismo. Even if there was no contact it was unlikely he would make the corner, and he certainly wouldn't have been able to "leave space" on the exit for Lewis.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12406259/italian-gp-max-verstappen-handed-three-place-russia-grid-penalty-after-lewis-hamilton-crash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

He turned McLaren around. Ousted Eric boullier, replaced him with Andreas Seidl. Returned to Mercedes engine, got sponsorship onboard.... If you need an example how leadership can turn a failing team around, it's him.

I absolutely agree, the point I’m making is that once it was apparent Max wasn’t making the corner, it was too late, hitting the sausys was always going to happen. Someone linked pics a few posts ago and you can see it there, when it’s clear the corner wasn’t being made max has zero options! That’s why for me it’s a racing incident, purely because max had nowhere to bail to, he’d already passed the escape road. It’s certainty wasn’t Lewis’ fault if that’s what anyone thinks I’m insinuating!

As they've been the two incidents that have been pivotal and ultimately may be what decide the championship, it's worth taking an objective and fact based view of the Silverstone and Monza crashes, removing the specifics of who the drivers involved were.

On a superficial level there are some similarities, with the driver in second has been on the inside and the two cars have collided, and in both cases the car in second was deemed at fault by stewards. But that's where the similarities end if you start looking at it objectively.

Was the second car alongside?

Silverstone: No, he only managed to clip the car ahead with his front wheel against the other car's rear

Monza: Yes, it was contact between rear wheel and rear wheel

Did the lead driver leave room?

Silverstone: Yes, the lead car left about 2-3 car widths to the apex, ensuring the second car had tons of room if he drove cleanly and stayed on the racing line

Monza: No, the lead car turned in on top of the second car, leaving less than a car's width between himself and the sausage kerbs, basically guaranteeing a crash

Would the second driver have made the corner without crashing if the lead driver wasn't there?

Silverstone: The telemetry suggests no, the second car carried far more apex speed than any other lap and would not have made the corner if the lead car wasn't there to crash into

Monza: Yes, the second car slowed down appropriately and would have made the corner had the lead car not turned into them

Was it a genuine overtaking chance?

Silverstone: No. While it is possible, albeit very rare, to overtake into copse, it only works if you're already substantially alongside before the turn. Sticking a single wheel in mid-corner has zero chance of working unless the other driver goes off circuit

Monza: Yes, that chicane is one of the main overtaking spots on the circuit, and the second driver had a particularly strong chance given that he was carrying more momentum and had warmed up tyres, versus his opponent who had just come out of the pits

Was it dangerous?

Silverstone: Extremely. It's one of the highest speed corners on the calendar and putting a wheel in there pretty much guarantees the other driver is taking a trip to the hospital.

Monza: Low speed rubber on rubber contact is normally innocuous, though by a complete fluke the cars ended up in a configuration that could have been dangerous without the halo

What did the "perpetrator" gain?

Silverstone: A net 32 points in the race, as the sprint showed he wasn't going to be able to overtake after the first lap. Additionally the destruction of the opponents car guarantees a future engine change penalty, probably leading to another 10-20 net points, and the millions in damage means the opposition car has less budget cap room for developments, which is hard to quantify but it ultimately means the opposition has a slower car with fewer developments for the rest of the year.

Monza: Pretty much nothing. He had been comfortably ahead before a botched pitstop and with warmed up tyres would have had more opportunities to get back ahead later in the lap. The two of them were almost certainly finishing 3rd and 4th, which is a 3 point difference, but it's unclear in what order.

What did the penalty cost?

Silverstone: Nothing. A 10 second penalty with only the Ferraris left for competition was always a guaranteed victory.

Monza: Time will tell. Given that the driver has won every race he hasn't been taken out of since May, it's reasonable to assume he would have won in Sochi. With the grid penalty on a track where overtaking is very difficult, a win is almost out of the question. We're probably looking at a most likely net loss of 14 points if he gets up to 2nd, though with engine penalties etc who knows.

A fantasy that J R R Tolkien could be proud of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement