Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You're a great poster for the bitter word! You really should let it go. My principal objection to AZ was the long gap between vaccine doses. At all times, despite reservations I have tried to follow the vaccination programme advice. Whether registering for and getting first vaccine promptly, followed advice not to turn up for second appointment as Covid positive and followed recent advice to go get a second vaccine and be counted as fully vaccinated. Except I was unable to comply with the latter despite taking a morning off work as the HSE vaccination centre wouldn't give me a second vaccine.

Send to who though. You phone the HSE vaccine helpline and you typically get someone with a pretty basic grasp of English who is probably on some some low wage telecentre contract. Anything other than scheduling an appointment is above their pay grade.

If I was in your situation I would be sending correspondence to Paul Reid or someone high up like that.

There is no way you should have to take 2 doses of mrna after getting vaccinated with 1 dose and then infected.

You are more protected than most fully vaccinated.

A GP had to resort to twitter to sort his vaccine cert last month.

Theres definitely some red tape in the system.

You have done nothing wrong, you just need to highlight your situation to the right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You've stated in various threads that you had one dose of AZ but didn't want to take the second, that you would prefer to take mRNA vaccines because they offer most protection, that you'd rather take no vaccines but you'll do it for the common good, and most recently that you're not now in favour of getting the mRNA vaccines.

At this stage the only way of satisfying your ever changing and mutually exclusive requirements is for the HSE to provide you with a time machine. Then you'd probably bitch about how it wasn't the best time machine and that you ought to be given a choice, or that you want a different one for the return trip.

• Advertisement

You have got your facts wrong.

Having a bad day are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Azatadine

On vaccines, I wonder what the plan is for Janssen recipients in the medium term? I never know how vulnerable to feel with that one dose.....if I could take a second dose of Janssen or a shot of am mRNA dose I would take it all day long. However, I do feel Janssen recipients have been a bit neglected so might have to just make do......

In the US they are trialling 2nd doses of it.

We just use other countries trial data.

I do think alienating these vaccine makers (viral vector) is a mistake.

Better to have more options.

Alot of talk in Ireland in May/June (second class vaccines- viral vector Kinston Mills et al), before Israels delta wave happened.

Viral vector vaccines are under rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Viral vector vaccine makers were not alienated, they just couldn't produce them in any mass quantity compared to mRNA.

The best vaccine is still the first one offered to you.

They kind of were.

Not renewing contracts.

MRNA going forward per Paul Reid.

If I went to get vaccinated today in ireland and said I want AZ or J&J rather than MRNA could I even get them?

I think in ireland we are past that last point you made.

• Advertisement

We actually have enough of the initial order of AZ to use for boosters if needed, why order more just to go to waste to prevent other countries placing orders.

AZ still haven't fulfilled the initial 300 million EU order yet.

mRNA going forward, yes a vaccine which can be tweaked (if needed) and can be given to all age groups and can deliver and upscale as required. So yes it makes sense to stick to a reliable supplier.

There's no many countries worldwide where you can pick and choose what vaccine you would like.

And yes we are past the point of the best vaccine is the first one offered as all 12+ have been offered one.

But are they reliable if you need a top up every 4 months?

You didnt see UK or US alienating viral vectors unlike (ireland) europe.

Keep your options open, try to stay on amicable relations with all suppliers (i.e keep damaging litigation to a minimum).

You never know when you'll need them in the future.

When I said reliable, I meant supply and delivery. What you're taking about is vaccine efficacy waning, which AZ also does.

Seeing as how Pfizer have delivered more initially, if there's any waning, it will be seen in Pfizer first.

The UK have shown AZ waning also.

Pfizer goes from 90% to 78% after 90 days

AZ goes from 69% to 61% after 90 days.

It's crude, but give you an idea maybe 12 months after you're fully vaccinated with Pfizer it will be the same as AZ.

Anyway that debate is for another time, boosters are not as simple as they sound, not everyone need them.

That is crude.

It looks BS.

Like a child drew it in primary school.

There is no way MRNA are 90% effective against delta at any point.

If MRNA is so superior why does UK want to give everyone AZ (were pactical) as a booster,

based on their extensive booster trial data using 7 different vaccines.

You should them the picture you drew.

Maybe theyll change their mind.

I though you could clearly see that it's Excel that drew it.

Ok, so what is the MRNA efficancy vs Delta and break it down via efficancy (symptomatic and asymptotic infection) vs hospitalization and death.

I was trying to highlight the waining effect, but you obviously know the details of what it should be and will share it?

The UK has not even officially announced it's booster program, but from what I've seen it's mRNA booster possible for everyone and AZ only recommended for those with AZ first and second doses, are you going by a twitter screenshot saying it's AZ for everyone?. If you have a link to the results of the booster trial, I'd love to see (7 different vaccines, of which only 4 are approved and the vast majority have only received 2, meaning the superior trial has it's limits, or more accurately, the results are limited, you cant be giving novavax as a first jab when nearly all the population is fully vaccinated, nor can you give them it as a booster as it's not approved.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yeah the system is ' set up to deal with the majority of straight forward cases 'as you say there .

That would be how 'systems 'work generally .

The 'system 'would not be the one to sort this , only a doctor or health professional could make that call .

Good news is you probably will never need a booster if you take the Pfizer vaccinations .

Also good news as woody 79 said is , that you are probably immune now anyhow , so it is only that you need a digital cert going forward...

There are an estimated 3.601 million Irish citizens living abroad. The majority of whom likely have never lived in the state. That would be a gargantuan task to provide vaccines for.

Many countries have proportionally far fewer citizens abroad either due to less emigration history or tighter definitions of eligibility for citizenship, such as recent parental residency etc. We have an unusually large diaspora.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

UK cancels Valneva order, these were being manufactured in Scotland and were expected to go for approval at the end of the year:

UK scraps Covid-19 vaccine deal with French firm Valneva - BBC News

This was a whole deactivated virus vaccine using an adjuvant and started rolling approval last month in the UK, they also failed to reach an agreement with the EU for an order and instead worked with countries directly (we have 654,000 on order).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Trying to get vaccines to Irish citizens who have decided to live in other countries would be one of the most bizarre waste of resources I've heard of in quite a while. Up there with Expats wanting to vote in Irish elections levels of delusional self-importance

Quite, as regards Covid itself I've no particular concerns as should have reasonable antibodies and basically fit anyway. Have a 'recovery cert' that will expire towards year end. But unless there's a major change in the path of the virus, can see the need for these fading, for ordinary everyday life anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I was in a similar situation to you - waiting for approval of Pfizer as 2nd dose in Ireland having got an AZ furst dose at the end of April.

Last Thursday week I spotted a statement on the web from HSE which said that they were now mixing vaccines and anyone who wanted one could go and get it in a walk-in centre. The next day I headed up to UCD and told they didn't know too much about it and staff had not been trained so they couldn't give it to me. Seemingly, I wasn't the only one who had turned up on the Friday to them. They took my details and told me they would make an appointment for me (by text that evening), which they did on the following Tuesday in UCD. I got AZ jab at end of April and they didn't seem to have a problem with that. Since getting the Pfizer jab last Tuesday, they have sent me a Covid Cert saying that I'm fully vaccinated. The only difference in our cases is that you had covid, so maybe that has got something to do with it rather than the timespan between doses.

By the way, I think its effective as I was wrecked for a couple of days after it!

Just checked by Covid Cert. It does not say that I had mixed jabs - just refers to being fully vaccinated by mRNA vaccine. No mention of AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

if registering now does anyone know how long the wait is likely to be for 1st jab appointment ?

That's interesting - response seems to vary then according to local personnel. Your first dose of AZ was a little before mine and I was definitely told that the reason they wanted me to re register and start again was because my May dose was too long ago. As above, the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right is doing.

From what I recall initially about AZ, it was a 16 week wait before you could get your 2nd jab, then reduced down to 12 weeks and the 8 weeks. Hard to understand that they were waiting to give a second jab of AZ at 16 weeks and now say that its too long a period!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Whatever about the issue you are having and the resultant frustration I do wish you would stop having a pop at the staff and the system .

It appears from reading your posts that you are so annoyed about initially being allocated AZ and the delay in doses, and then you unfortunately caught Covid , that you are implacable at this stage . This really is not the fault of the people you are dealing with.

As I said previously your issue falls well outside the norm and maybe if you feel strongly about it you should try going through your GP / or write a strongly worded letter to the HSE or something . Continually giving out here is tiresome.

You have a recovery cert , and you were offered two dose Pfizer. You said you refused this . I think this was a mistake . You could have availed of one dose and when in there discussed with a manager about your concerns about getting a second and whether it was in fact necessary .

I previously posted weeks ago that I understood your frustration as I have many nursing colleagues who were initially in your situation , some of whom would have been infected earlier in the pandemic, btw .

They have since gotten second doses and while it was an anxious time for them, they have moved on and have nothing negative now to say about their vaccination experience .

It was a pain at the time , but they are ok and life goes on .

I know this sounds brusque and I don't mean to be harsh and I hope you get sorted to your satisfaction, but you would be better off accepting the situation or as I said going directly to the top if you feel so angry about it , not complaining here .

Unless of course it makes you feel better to be complaining here ? If so fire away !

Very effective vaccines without need for boosters concludes the Lancet. Boards knows better

The vaccination system clearly has worked well for many but it's not without it's creases and faults. It's perfectly reasonable for members of the public to comment on these deficiencies and draw attention to them. As to having a pop at personnel I don't think I have particularly but at end of the day it is people who deliver the system and individuals are responsible for how it's delivered. Too often in the public service, people hide failings behind the organisation as a whole - we see that often across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭amandstu

Can I ask a thought experiment question regarding the vaccine?

Imagine that vaccine takeup was 100% and all restrictions of any kind were removed.

Would the virus still spread in the general population?And what about 95%?

99%?

Advertisement