Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

Am convinced DOC actually unsettled ROD for the pen. Both of them when in to get the ball and there was a bit of a debate until ROD finally took charge. If DOC was not the assigned penalty taker he should not have gone near it. Apart from the pen ROD was our best performer from 8-15 and DOC was poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Out of that list Higgins is the only one on a par with Keegan

Go back to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Do you even know who Liam McHale is? Mortimer second highest Mayo scorer ever after COC, and he quit the team before he needed to. Do some research.

I am well aware who Liam McHale is

A fine player but nowhere near the level Keegan has consistently played at .

One all star. Never won POTY. Fairly easy to see who is the better player

And of all the posters here I am the last person who needs to do my research on Conor ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Was thinking the same. But surely the assigned penalty taker was known to everyone? In which case this kind of thing shouldn’t happen. If ROD was on pens there should be no argument.

Its something the management should address when they sit down to analyze all the things that went wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

While we are all disappointed, angry and disillusioned, any real Mayo fan giving that brolly article any heed or traction need to step back and have a look at themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

You said in a previous post that possibly Mayo have pulled you into a false sense of security talent wise and yet follow on to fall into that age old mayo crap of thinking it's outside factors against you and deluding yourself that the players are top class.

The structure in Mayo is excellent. I only wish my county was the same. There's ferocious momentum and appetite for football. Horan is probably the best manager currently managing at IC level. He consistently gets huge buyin, effort and players outperforming their ability. Every county hates their county board and most fall back on this deluded excuse when things go wrong. Mayo get superb outside funding

The players aren't at the top level. The last proper class forward Mayo had was CMD and even that was only good enough to win one single all star. Perhaps TC can get to that level. Otherwise Mayo have been bang average at underage for a long time. This is supposed to be competing with the juggernaut of Dublin or Kerry with 5 consecutive minor titles. Mayo have consistently outperformed their talent level. Blaming structures and management is just simple easy excuses bar stool fans fall back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Mayo game plan should have been simple. Don't commit players forward, don't run into contact and get turned over because Tyrone will kill you on the break. High press doesnt work against Tyrone as Morgan nearly always goes long leaving you exposed at back which is how most of Tyrones scores came about.

Horan is a good manager but we saw his tactical limitations again yesterday.

Anyone have Jim McGuinness or Jim Gavins phone number to ask if they are interested in Mayo job?

Next year for me a bit of change needed in the game plan and I think that means looking at life past AOS. There is a role for him as impact sub

A team along the lines of

Hennelly - wanted a new face this year but in fairness I think it was his best season

Keegan - still has it for a couple of years

Harrison - best pure defensive player we have

O’Hora

Durkin

Coen

Hession

Mullen - think long term he moves to the middle

Ruane

E. Mcloughlin - legs

Flynn

Doc /

ROD - playing deeper, as distributor

Cillian

Conroy

Also the likes of the Morans, Towey, Orme to get more game time in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

On the Brolly article full agree re O'Hora substitution.

On AOS he had an average game but it says something when he was probably one of our better performers in the final.

I think he should captain next year. A true leader even if ability wise he is behind some of his teammates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

the easiest goal chance I have seen in a final. 

For any player ever in a final? Easier than, to take an example to hand, McCurry palming it in from six inches?

Well that's certainly the stupidest thing I've ever seen written in a newspaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It certainly was not an easy chance for AOS. He caught the ball well but seemed to panic then. He shud have soloed back in to himself, thereby getting free of the defender and better chance of a score. Even a point would have been ok.

An easy goal is the Tyrone 2nd (more credit goes to the midfielder who caught the ball and the forward who had the brains to hand pass it into the square) and the Mayo missed pen. I don’t think you should be going for top corner and doing a stop/start in such a crucial moment. I wonder what could have happened if AOS had taken it, could have got that demon of never scoring in a final off his back.

Made no sense to me, AOS was as stationary as a tree yesterday. Even if McHale was on and didn't score but at least stopped them walking out with the ball. At best he might have scored something. AOS has not scored in 8 All Irelands (including replays) and has also lost 4 out of 4 county final which i don't think he scored in either. What was Horans plan ? Its like he was afraid to sub him two games in a row. Boyle had a better chance of scoring. Really have to question what Horan was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He subbed him early in the semi but looked like he was not allowed sun him yday. I think AOS and the people around him must have some kind of influence on Horan yday.

We have to get point scorers onto the team even if it means sacrificing somewhere else. Bad teams can win All Ireland's with some good forwards that can score. You can have the best playing team in the country but if they can't put it over the bar or in the net, they will win nothing. There has to be more O'Donoghues or Conroys out there. I'd prefer to see AOS and the attached clan and buzz out of the squad.

Daren McHale was injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Without Question. He is a no nonsense guy. The way he went down the wing, got knocked to his knees and a few tyrone bucks around him... but guess what... he comes out with the ball. Best Mayo man ever to wear the jersey.. FACT. It's so sad this man will leave the IC without an all ireland medal. The bigger the day the bigger the performance with this guy.

AOS is finished tbh on the inter county scene after yesterday. Can't score as a forward and does not have the pace anymore for any other position. It's a pity it has ended like this for him but I can't see what he offers anymore as a starter or an impact sub.

Mcloughlin is also on the slide and add in Hennelly with a deja vu moment. We have patterns happening in finals. The problem now is the virus of losing finals has been slipped across into the young guys. Mullen will be off to Oz now as well.

Tyrone are no world beaters but a half decent display was good enough yesterday. They also look to have a half stone of muscle more than our guys. Maybe it's the jerseys but they looked physically bigger and stronger.

More new guys required and the cut off of the older guys, either they go or not selected. It needs to happen and lets see where it takes us. We have no option anyway imo but to do this, otherwise we are crazy and keep doing the same thing expecting a different outcome.

• Advertisement

Mullen is borderline too old to head to Australia. He will be 22 by the time he gets over there and coming up against rookies in development teams aged 18/19 who know the game. Would be a big risk for him I feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I feel bad for the Mayo team and the county in general, always there or there abouts, deserve it at this stage. That said I'd be more than happy to see Keegan finish his career without a single title. Throwing his GPS at a free taker in the dying seconds of an All-Ireland final is unforgivable and requires very low morals, knowing you're a role model for thousands of kids around the country and with the whole football community home and abroad watching you. Basically telling young people that play the game that it's ok to cheat if you're losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Oh stop. Do you ever see the antics of the Smalls, McMahon or McCarthy for BAC? Absolute thugs. Keegan never like that.

As others suggested, if AOS not good enough to be a starter anymore, then he's not really going to offer much off the bench either I think.

There's no curse. Mayo will win when they have enough good players, particularly in attack, on the field. It will come if you keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 longballer

Throwing a GPS is unlikely to be the worst football related crime of most footballers who grace the biggest stage and actually win an All-Ireland medal. Hopefully, Tyrone’s victory won’t be tarnished by some image of a late shoulder or holding off the ball that the officials didn’t pick up on or a query about Morgan drinking from a water bottle and chatting to the ref as the penalty taker was getting ready to take the kick! Every game has its questionable behaviours and throwing a GPS unit in an attempt to interfere with the balls flight is not the worst I’ve seen at most matches I’ve went to or played in. Personally, I’d like to see all the current Mayo squad get over the line & this coming from a Tyrone man who has been incensed at Keegan’s influence on matches against us in the past. When the games over, it’s over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

There is something seriously wrong with the aidan o'shea situation

When was the last time he was 7/10 + against decent opposition versus the number of times he's poor or worse.

Taking him off against Dublin was the winning of that game, he was terrible yesterday and yet remained on

His relationship with the manager is seriously questionable. Read the article yesterday about horan how in 2010 he was going to change the mayo mentality and attitudes but clearly he cannot practice what he preaches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

Can yas just win it next year please

Its like klopp he lost 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Grow a pair. Do you think any of the top players don't walk a tight line. Pure horse manure. Every dog in the street knows he is a top player and in order to deliver the result will do what is necessary. The problem with Mayo is we need about another 12/13 of Lee Keegans.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Would you stop. There are much worse things going on in the game at the moment.

And another over reaction. Please don't be calling players thugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Thought Tommy Convoy was very good but just wasn't fed the ball enough. Constantly trying to drive and pull the team through it, just a pity some lads around up didn't have his mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

It's about time the Mayo fans cracked onto Aidan O'Shea. He was always overrated and frankly a delight for any opposition (7 all ireland finals without a single point)

Tyrone captain Padraig Hampsey summed it up after the game - every single Tyrone player had to fight off 3 or 4 others desperate for the chance to wear the jersey. Can the same be said for Mayo?

If some of the Mayo players worked half as hard for a medal as they do for their sponsorship deals they'd have 3-4 all irelands by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is no question that Horan has changed the Mayo mentality.

The 2000s and the year before Horan arrived is a decade where they were beaten by teams like Westmeath, Cork, Fermanagh, Derry, Meath and Longford.

And were hammered in big games by Kerry.

Horan changed all that, they became tougher, stronger etc.

Since then they have only missed one SF.

So I don't think you can accuse Horan of not practicing what he preaches when it comes to Mayo's mentality.

However as for AOS yesterday, it's a common belief by us outside the setup that taking him off v Dublin was the winning of the game.

That's easy (and lazy) analysis for us lay people, but maybe management saw it differently, they could have come to a different conclusion about what was the winning of the Dublin game.

So maybe Horan left him on in the hope that he might do something, maybe Horan was seeing other failings all over the field that were leading to the losing of the game and not just O'Sheas ineffectiveness.

I think you're ignoring the elephant in the room. I'm from limerick, we've experience of this stuff in the past. I'll say no more except to wish year well next year. Keegan hopefully stays on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Who would you have brought in as a sub for Aido and did you think there were others on the field that were having equally poor or worse performances?. To my mind there were 3 or 4 other players who should have been, and some eventually were subbed off. Part of the issue was only 2 of our substitutions looked effective, the rest did not.

There’s no point in throwing on a sub for a player if it’s not going to improve the situation. Horan isn’t there to make decisions to appease the mob on Social media that seem to revel in abusing amateur players.

The problem with O'Shea in the 2nd half was he couldn't even run, it was like having an injured player. If you watched him when Tyrone had the ball going up the field, there was often no player within 10 metres of him. Now if he is not capable of scoring, tackling or even running at the end then absolutely anybody would have been better. James Carr was left on the bench till the end. At least he would of had the legs to follow the back up the field with the ball. We were basically playing with 14 in the 2nd half, very unfair on the rest of the team for Horan to leave him on. Probably unfair on O'Shea as well for Horan to leave him there, he just does not have the ability, skill, composure and no longer the fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

It may seem like the same annual conclusion for Mayo supporters but I think they can take huge positives from this year, and the future is brighter than where they are now. Some new players have been introduced, others have come on further. I don't think any of the players that may be considering hanging up their boots are irreplaceable.

They were clearly second best yesterday but if you'd asked me at the start of the year how Mayo would fare I wouldn't have thought they'd win Connacht, let alone reach the AI final. I hope they can take the positives and keep the faith.

Agreed, McKenna didn’t do a lot for most of yesterday's game yet the Tyrone management left him for longer than his performance was justified and then..... the wonderful offload for McCurry’s goal. Today, Tyrone management and McKenna are heroes (at least in Tyrone!). My point, O’ Shea is an exceptional footballer with a huge physical presence that could have been the game changer as the game unfolded. Sometimes it works out, in Mayo’s case you are just unlucky. I thought O’Shea had a number of good possessions & offloads. Some of the hyperbole on here about him being bad/poor/past it is unwarranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think Horan gave Aidan the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to set things right from the semifinal. But when it was clear he wasn't getting to the pitch of things, he should have come off.

Still I don't think he was our worst player. Matthew Ruane essentially played himself out of contention for player of the year yesterday. Loftus was awful too. And the two of them together in midfield were a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

yep. Matty, Conor, Walsh all had forgettable games. Plunkett was subbed off tightly at half time.

again - credit to Tyrone as they had the measure of these lads, they clearly had a strategy for Matty as he was just unable to get into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

If it was the Sympathy McGuire - Mayo's name would be on it, from what I'm reading here! Tyrone played better ball and were deserved winners - 13 time is a charm Mayo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm not sure by what you mean with "elephant in the room"

If you're talking about O'Shea I'm not ignoring it, I have suggested already here today that it may be the end of him as a nailed on starter.

If you're talking about Horan then your admission that you are not from Mayo says it all.

Any Mayo fan will tell you it's a different world pre and post Horan.

Malachy clerkin as always fair and on point

Basically we had enough chances to win the game from good positions but blew it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Malachy Clerkin is easily one of my favourites when it comes to writing about GAA

From reading the last few pages, I don't see where you are getting that.

In fact, I haven't heard one Mayo fan saying that Tyrone were not the better team and deserved winners.

I won't argue he's changed things but he hasn't followed it through to the end. Life and confidence flowed into the team when he went off against it visibly drained out of the team on Saturday. His 1-2 with coen was pitiful, he doesn't deserve to be there and it reflects very badly on the manager that he was imo

After watching limerick struggle for 30+ years, I really hope ye win next year, ye've given so much to the competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I thought he was poor too but i watched it back. He actually had a good second quarter, setting up several chances by winning ball and good use of quick hands. He missed a good chance for a point alright, the goal one was a harder chance and a great block. Others had poorer games. Durcan had a poorer game for example, but he has barely got a mention. In the second half he was moved out the field which i think was a mistake on the line rather than osheas mistake.

I take your point with barrett but i was just trying to make the point that only two guys we had last that year could have turned the tide. Put in harrison instead, same difference.

I think people saying we got the breaks arent right. Tyrone got a lot of breaks. Ohora hauled down heading for goal, no card. Mccurry hauls down keegan, no card. Tyrones persistant fouling when mayo got a run at the goal, no cards. Im not blaming the ref, i just think the narrative out there isnt really accurate. Kilpatrick could have gone with ruane also. Watch it back with a cool head and this becomes apparent.

The goal spooked us. We took rash shots on and they didnt come off. That killed us. We couldnt win any breaks, which gave tyrone a platform. They kept their composure and were a nice bit cuter. They deserved to win it. Hopefully odonoghue can get over the penalty miss and becomes the player he can be.

Much more balanced view of the game & O’Shea’s contributions. Quick hands & scoring chances were created by his vision. He had taken up great positions but wasn’t picked out by colleagues, note difference with McKenna/McCurry goal. In fairness, there certainly could/should have been an equal sanction at the sending off. McShane’s goal had a bit of luck attached to it, they don’t always go in. Keep the faith Mayo, you really aren’t that far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Agreed on the mcshane goal. Oshea was in similar positions and we didnt deliver the ball. Im not saying it is a definite goal if we did, but the truth is mcshane was fairly poor in the game besides (have a look at the free he missed - worse than osheas kick), yet he still got the goal when the ball went in. You cant score them if you dont try.

Our malfunction in the middle third was a far bigger issue than oshea. I think we just felt that we were going to win it and now are hurting. Oshea is an easy target. Im not saying he couldnt have played better, but who isnt guilty of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

No there shouldn't. Ruane struck with a closed fist, Kilpatrick didn't. Referee made the correct call without doubt.

In relation to O'Shea: he had zero vision - his hand passes were rushed and nervy, letting the reciever do the hard work. His colleagues didn't pick him out because he was cemented to the ground for most of the game.

McShane's goal was a touch of class - his positioning, timing, connection with the ball had nothing to do with luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

Lack of composure cost us (rushed shooting, hand passes going astray when in attacking positions). Mayo Management should employ a top Sports Psychologist, if not we will never win an All Ireland, look at the composure of the Limerick Hurlers, they can thank Psychologist Caroline Currid for that. I am surprised that Lee Keegan was never appointed Mayo Captain, he always delivered the goods in All Ireland Finals, the best Mayo Footballer I have ever seen (I am a Mayo Supporter since 1966).

Advertisement