Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

The original story was he had been a chef in London and a decrepit Alfie and headmistress SF ret

Then it turned out he seems to have come from the US, ran "Basil Bush" restaurant in Ballydehob in early 1980s with a wife and daughter and he spoke Russian and Italian.

Maybe he split from the family and went to London then returned.

I don't see any record in UK or US for him. There are a few Alfred Lyons born in the 1930s in Ireland.

I find it odd there were no death notices for him. Just one bakery lamenting him.

He just seems like a strange character. Speaking Russian and Italian might have been hobby but if it wasn't why would he need/want them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Regarding you posting, I don't see it fantasy land at all. It is speculation, and deductions, unanswered questions, doors left open, etc.. Sure, you can call that fantasy land if you want to. What makes this case so interesting, is that there are so many unanswered questions.

I don't know how often Sophie would have been at the house, and if so how long. I would suggest it would have been long enough to make the house worth while, enjoy this part of Ireland, frequent the pubs, hike around the countryside, be friendly with the locals, some more than others in many senses, whatever that meant....

To anybody in the drug business any outsider would have been the biggest threat, I'd say. Somebody from a different country, somebody from a big city not country life, somebody a bit naïve to certain things, and somebody with a bit of a financial background, not depending on local structures or the economy.

Same goes for Ian Bailey. His job involved having contacts, knowing things, connecting dots and getting things out into the open. To anybody in the drug business he would also have been a red flag.

It's totally possible that Sophie has seen something or gotten into contact with something she shouldn't have no matter how often or little she was at the cottage. It's also possible that she believed in the police, same as she was used to in Paris, but instead dealt with possible corrupt Gards.

And to your question, yes, I would also suggest that Shirley may have known a lot more as to what Alfie was up to than she publically stated. After all, she lived with him. Thus it doesn't surprise me that she sold the house, she wanted to move on, put things behind her.

Or to the question, why bring a rock? Or a brick? It was the murder weapon, after all and if the murder would take place in the darkness, it would make a difference if the murder was planned or not? Or would the murderer waste time to look around the property first for a decent size stone or a lose brick ? So looking for answers to this question isn't exactly out of this world. If the murderer would have stabbed her with a knife, there would certainly be the discussion, did he bring his own, or did he use Sophie's kitchen knife....etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

If your calling someone's theory fantasy you're too woke for this thread. Reminder this is an unsolved murder mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

Maybe it wasn't the White Lady she saw on her walk but someone she knew smuggling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Lintdrummer: If Bailey had any information of value why would he not have made it public. He's been persecuted for 25 years, why would he not have mentioned at some point that he was working on exposing a high ranking name? It would have been beneficial to his case to do so.

Maybe Bailey is implicated in the grow house shenanigans, we know he did 'gardening' for Alfie...

Or maybe he is protecting somebody else...

As previously stated, I highly doubt Bailey can prove any of he's theories, no more than the Gards could... He's an intelligent man, why would he state something that he can't support with evidence?

Do you really think that Ian Bailey would have swayed public opinion, or done himself any favours, if he said there was a high ranking Gard worthy of investigation?? He knew they were gunning for him already, his name was smeared, the Gards had the town convinced that he was on the verge of killing again...

C'mon.. Get real here..!

Before you condemn posters opinions, take a good look at the facts of the case.. Why do you think it has so many hits if its such a simple case to figure out..??

My dear friend, you either don't understand the case, or you yourself are living in fantasy land..

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Exactly, it's not like there was some multi-million pound international drug cartel in operation with half of Schull involved!

Maybe this was West Cork in the 1990s

Quote:

"And to your question, yes, I would also suggest that Shirley may have known a lot more as to what Alfie was up to than she publically stated. After all, she lived with him. Thus it doesn't surprise me that she sold the house, she wanted to move on, put things behind her".

Shirley knew what Alfie was up to, which was absolutely nothing, just living out his later years in the place he loved.

Maybe a bit of recreational weed now and then, if the goats hadn't been.

The reason she put the house up for sale should be obvious.

Quote;

"Or to the question, why bring a rock? Or a brick? It was the murder weapon, after all and if the murder would take place in the darkness, it would make a difference if the murder was planned or not? Or would the murderer waste time to look around the property first for a decent size stone or a lose brick ? "

Coals to Newcastle?;

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

Just to feed the conspiracy theory regarding a drugs connection ...

Taken from the Irish Independent on August 28, 2002:

Among the high profile departures is Detective Chief Superintendent Ted Murphy, head of the Garda National Drugs Unit (GNDU). Under Det Chief Supt Murphy, the drugs unit has achieved massive successes against drug gangs in recent months, including the smashing of a multi-million drugs importation racket with links to three countries in July.

It is not clear at this stage when the GNDU boss will leave or where he is to take up employment, but the Garda Commissioner has been informed.

At the time of the initial murder investigation, Detective Superintendent Ted Murphy, was attached to the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation and was one of the senior officers heading up the investigation. He was also a native of West Cork.

In a court appearance Ted Murphy said that in May 1997 he knew that Marie Farrell was lying in her statement about the night of the murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

During the 1980s and certainly up to the mid-1990s, bales of hash used to regularly wash up on the shorelines of West Cork. The LE Eithne and LE Aisling used to be on almost constant patrol along the south coast from Kinsale Head to Valentia from May to September.

How much would a slab of hash have been worth in 1996?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

Was the killer in the car with her? Also, how far was Marie Farrell's house from Sophies?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/ian-bailey-nominated-as-good-suspect-four-days-after-body-found-1.2100206

"Earlier, retired a Garda detective chief superintendent, Ted Murphy, disputed as “totally incorrect” evidence from Robert Sheehan, an official in the DPP’s office, that he asked Mr Sheehan, on the night of Mr Bailey’s first arrest on February 10th, 1997, to direct that Mr Bailey be charged with the murder of Ms Toscan du Plantier."

Interesting. Is it possible Bailey was painted as a suspect to force him to stop reporting on the story.

Was the killer in the car with her?

Couldabeen.

Also, how far was Marie Farrell's house from Sophies?

About 12 km;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

@tinytobe We know that the house was a holiday home for Sophie. She occasionally visited and stayed for a week or two at most. On this occasion she was only staying for 4 days. She wasn't particularly well known in the area.

I would think that someone who is living in the area permanently is more of a problem because they're not going away. Why do you think someone who is only there occasionally is more of a threat?

As for the rock, again, I think if someone was planning on going there to murder Sophie, they would have brought a more conventional weapon. It's pretty clear to me that the rock was an impromptu choice, after all she was first struck with a poker or other blunt object.

@OwlsZat I'm not sure you understand the meaning of woke... but I'm all for theories. I just feel some of the stuff that got thrown around today was too far fetched. Alfie Lyons was painted as some sort of Cannabis Kingpin with a massive grow operation, and Bailey his sativa expert assistant. I mean if we're not talking about an operation big enough to involve considerable amounts of cash it wouldn't warrant a murder to protect it, would it? So where is the evidence of the trappings of drug fueled wealth in Schull? Alfie lived a modest life, as evidenced by his house which wasn't at all lavish.

Did she really see anyone at all, but that's one lie too big for her to retract. We've seen she's capable of phoning in false phone calls for the cops, were the original anonymous phone calls on behalf of someone else?

People have theorised that the person she was having an affair with may have been a cop. *If* that's true, could it be John O'Donnell the man mentioned in Ians tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Let’s get back to the facts. Sophie could speak some English, that means it’s very possible she heard CIA agents on holiday planning false flag attacks: “OK, so Ruby is all in for the thermite, Oswald is still plugging for old fashioned TNT. It’s his last job before he retires so he wants a big blow out” “wait, I thought she was French but she just asked the barman for a tea in English, we’re compromised guys”

Ian Bailey has confirmed she was complaining to the cops about Marijuana being grown, when Leo Bolger was arrested the plants value was worth E150,000 street value and was labelled the most sophisticated grow house ever in West Cork.

If Bolger thought her telling guards about the hash growing has the potential to send him to prison for a few years, that's motive IMO.

Where was Bolger that night do we know?

Welcome back Moonunit,

I knew all those maky-uppy theories would draw you out.

"Where was Bolger that night do we know?"

I don't know his alibi for the night, but I know he was up to Alfie's through the Garda cordon with "groceries"

while Alfie and Shirley were locked down.

• Advertisement

Why do I think she was more of a threat? Well, first of all, her way of making a living and her financial situation clearly didn't depend on anything in West Cork. Thus she had nothing to fear in terms of her livelihood, if somebody may have verbally threated her or tried to "reason" her as to what she might have heard, or seen, or thought she had seen..... The situation would have been different if you were local, making your livelihood locally and somewhat had an idea that the Gards were in it as well. And if Sophie wouldn't have gotten anywhere with the local Gards, the way she would have to be from the Gendarmerie in Paris, what would have happened, if she would have involved somebody higher up, in say, Cork or Dublin? Or even worse, but far-fetched, would have gone back to Paris, and mentioned the matter to the Irish embassy maybe?

If Sophie really had seen something she shouldn't have, she would have to be eliminated. This idea brings me to the murder weapon of choice. If she had to be eliminated the planning would have to have been rather short. Maybe one or two days at most. Stabbing or strangling would have been one way, but the rock or the brick were used to send a message, I'd say. The brutality of the murder would certainly imply a drug connection.

That may be the case but there would need to be a link to Alfie to make any sense of this theory. Either that Alfie was directly involved with growth/distribution or had regular visits from someone deeply involved in a large scale operation. I don't think there's any evidence of that. We have first hand information from a poster that knows Alfie. She says that Alfie grew one small crop for personal consumption, the majority of which got eaten by goats.

Did he live far away? I know he owned the land that the horses used to graze on.

Feck sake let's see what IB has to say tomorrow.. I think he knows more than we do for several reasons:

1) he has protested his innocence for 25 years and has never changed his story apart from some very honest forgetful details in the first month or so (can you actually tell me what you were doing 3 weeks ago from tonight?? Before social media and a digital trail please)... Its not that weird, trust me.

2) he's kept himself and the story in the limelight deliberately imo; some say its narcissism, or it could be to keep conversations going so that eventually he'll be proven innocent.

3) as time passes, more sources talk. With the resurgence of interest this year, more is being heard. If he heard a rumour 10 years ago, perhaps in 2021 there's more to it. It's foolish to criticise him for changing his theories, ffs what are we all doing on here??? If you take the view that he was none the wiser than the rest of us but still sleuthing, any other criticism seems unfounded. He has help now, and navigating social media is pretty new to him by all accounts.

Innocent until proven guilty is the blessing of the irish constitution, and I'm grateful for it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Okay, I don't buy it, but it's your theory and you're entitled to it. Anything's possible in this case I suppose.

I think the murder weapons were not chosen at all, because the murder wasn't planned. They were what came to hand when the situation, whatever it was, escalated. That makes the most sense to me.

Also your theory is possible. At this point we simply don't know.

The reason, why I think it was planned or at least short term planned, is because if the degree of the brutality. This leads me to believe that somebody in that drug operation may have ordered the killing and wanted the result to be seen, wanted a message to be sent, like "stay out of my / our affairs". Since time was of the essence the murderer didn't have another day to do it, had to make sure, it was on that night, thus he had to make sure, he had the murder weapon ready. If that was a rock or a brick didn't matter as long as the "job" was "done".

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement