Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl: 10c for used bottles and cans [Expired]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭beachhead

The "machine" is inside the Lidl store in Glenageary on the ground floor.It is being run independent of Lidl.The storage area attached is at least 100 sq m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭beachhead

Crushed cans or bottles are not accepted at the moment.The process is to be reviewed to see if the authentication procees can be refined..Crushed items will be accepted perhaps next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,167 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there any political party against this being implemented? It's going to be an out and out disaster seeing as it's fixing a problem which isn't there.

What is your counter proposal?

Or are you just having a moan?

And yet you still have reams of comments on here stating why it won't work in Ireland.

• Advertisement

It's assumed you would do it when you go to do your weekly shop, not go solely for the purpose of returning your cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,644 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Growing numbers of people do their weekly shop online.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What's wrong with the current system? Put separate bins in public and we need more enforcement of our litter laws.

The vast majority of my waste is generated in my home. If I buy something outside my home it goes in a bin. If I buy a bottle with a 20c deposit then I'll have to carry it back to my home or bin it because its not worth my while to travel to a shop for 20c back. Its not even worth my while to feed bottles into a machine to get 20c, but I currently recycle everything I can and pay for it to be collected.

So just having a moan, thanks for the clarification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was watching a documentary on lidl last night and it occurred to me that this could be their way of attracting people into their stores in the face of the online shopping surge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's free publicity by Lidl, the vouchers probably costs the same as paying for traditional advertising. We're talking about them and it hits our desires to be green

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭go4it

one of our Dublin team work buddy told us his experience :

• machine scans barcodes ( and probably checks against a database)
    • PET (soft plastics ) worked on drink bottles but not on soap container, or non drink stuff ; none of the HDPE (hard plastic) containers worked- milk jug, mayo bottle etc
    • aluminium cans worked even without a barcode ( multipack ones ) but he had a hard time with the flatten ones ( machines likes the original form? )

there's a space where to dispose of the rejected plastics , on a side ( not to bring them home again )

the discussion started from the ' insert password please' - seems that one machine was asking for a passcode , the other one had a long line of people. mostly curious ( looks like the lidl staff have a passcode to reboot the machine, in case there's a 'software glitch'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Every shop (or the ones I've been in) from the large supermarkets to the corner store in Finland have been doing this for years. The problem here is that there needs to be a collection system for the returned cans and bottles. There shouldn't be a need for a storage warehouse in each shop, just have regular collections.

It's a great system, especially if you like your beer. Would regularly see alcoholics going through the public bins looking for cans and bottles and taking binbags full to claim the refund....and get more beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,167 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did Finland previously have home collection for these goods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I assume by kerbside you mean bottle banks and recycling centres?

The problem is many people don't bother with them. But if people put cans/bottles in them that had a deposit paid on then it's their loss so I don't see how it would make recycling more expensive.

It's also nothing to with fly tipping so I don't see your point there.

A 20ct per bottle or can would work out at €4.80 on a slab 24 cans. I think that would be incentive enough for people to bring stuff back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Used and got 1.6 voucher..valid till end of year

Kerbside recycling is a truck driving by you home picking up a bin full of recycling materials, compost and general trash.

€4.80 depends on how fast the machine can process the transaction and how much of a queue there is, we all know that there will be rejects from the machine so even longer to get it.

People paid €6 to drink from a plastic glass at home when the pubs reopened for off sales. Do you think that someone who plays 3 times the cost of a can to drink from a plastic glass are going to be worried about 20c deposit?

The only thing that this will do is increase the cost of kerbside recycling by removing the valuable products from it. You already paid the 20c for the privilege of recycling something that costs a few cent to produce and your home recycling costs will increase.

We would be better off educating people on the need to properly segregate their waste so that less of our recycling bins aren't contained. That would improve our recycling a lot more than a 20c deposit

I recall a lot of nonsense around the time they brought in and charge for plastic bags.

I doubt many could tell you the last time they saw a plastic bag floating around the street.

It will be the same with this.

Worrying about the possible impact on your home collection, then avoiding packaging altogether and use refillable containers, cloth bags etc etc for bringing home your groceries and get rid of your bins.

Or just keep moaning about the inevitable change Del

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

And 🇩🇪 , plus in Germany atm ppl use it to top up their old age pension ( saw a doc on same 2 yrs back)

Imagine the environmental impact of instead of kerbside collection done by a small number of lorries for the majority of cans and plastic bottles people have to make an unnecessary car journey to a recycling facility ???? But sure we'll be going there in our ev's won't we?

I'd say add the 20c to single bottles or cans from a centra, circle k or where ever maybe when those will either be chucked or put in general waste bins, multipacks and larger containers (milk, a 2lt of coke etc) are consumed at home and find their way to green bins it makes no sense to change that.

If they go this route it should be as easy to apply the levy as it is to get the levy back and I can't see that happening.

• Advertisement

I see plenty of bags of rubbish dumped around the place, there's less shopping bags blowing around but we still have a litter problem. If the cost of kerb side collection goes up it'll get worse.

Huge amounts of the recycling collected is contaminated and ends up in the incinerator. Tackling the contamination of the recycling would have a bigger impact than 20c deposits on a few products because trucks full of recyclables are being burnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Did you have to clean out bottles or cans before the machine was used? If not that could be an advantage over the recycling bin

So because waste will have an actual monetary value more of it is going to be disposed of incorrectly?

Hard to see how this will be the outcome as it is in no way a logical outcome.

Has this been the case in other countries where they have been doing this for decades? Surely you have data or studies to back up your moaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

So because waste will have an actual monetary value more of it is going to be disposed of incorrectly?

More of the stuff that has less monetary value will be disposed if incorrectly I guess is the point. The stuff left for the kerbside bins that costs more to process.

Some context around this process where it has been in operation in Germany for several decades. Its not a perfect system and they are tweaking it but the positive effects can not be understated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Only drinks bottles are allowed…did no cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Lidl are masters at pretending they're doing something, which gets people yanking them off on social media.

They pay their staff a decent wage which makes people think they're mightly but then they understaff their stores and their workers are run off their feet. Tesco may not pay as well but their floor staff aren't as run off their feet like Lidl's. I saw a massive queue of about 20 people at a till one time and the poor worker was getting asked what was going on by grumpy customers.

I bought their own brand orange juice this week. They have the stupid paper straws yet the whole carton of 8 mini cartons are wrapped in plastic.

They sell kinder bueno packs which have 3 layers of plastic to get into the bar!

They sell wraps and sandwiches packaged in plastic.

Their bakery is completely full of plastic now. I know it's mostly down to covid but imagine all the extra plastic they've used since the start of covid?

I wanted to buy a single carrot and all I saw was a pack of 2kg or a packet with a mix of carrot/parsnip wrapped in plastic.

Next PR attempt I guess will be to bring your own container for re-filling cereal.

Lidl are masters at pretending they're doing something, which gets people yanking them off on social media.

See: marketing & PR

They pay their staff a decent wage which makes people think they're mightly but then they understaff their stores and their workers are run off their feet. Tesco may not pay as well but their floor staff aren't as run off their feet like Lidl's. I saw a massive queue of about 20 people at a till one time and the poor worker was getting asked what was going on by grumpy customers.

They borrow a lot from lean principles and 5S methodologies in that they look to eliminate any opportunity for waste and streamline efficiencies. This means the stores are setup to only need a few staff to operate, for example restocking often takes only a fraction of what it takes in the likes of Tesco, Dunnes etc because the roll out full boxes of stuff and just whack that on to a shelf rather than taking containers out one-by-one and doing merchandising. This has also been streamlined by them engaging with their suppliers who orientate the containers so they all face the same way when they open the box so no merchandising is needed. Sure there are days when staff numbers are lower due to sickness, holidays etc but in general its a well oiled machine.

As for pay rates, they are higher because the expect more from their staff. I guess its a personal choice as to what someone prefers in terms of work/salary.

I bought their own brand orange juice this week. They have the stupid paper straws yet the whole carton of 8 mini cartons are wrapped in plastic.

They sell kinder bueno packs which have 3 layers of plastic to get into the bar!

They sell wraps and sandwiches packaged in plastic.

Their bakery is completely full of plastic now. I know it's mostly down to covid but imagine all the extra plastic they've used since the start of covid?

I wanted to buy a single carrot and all I saw was a pack of 2kg or a packet with a mix of carrot/parsnip wrapped in plastic.

All supermarkets, regardless of brand, are under pressure from multiple sides to eliminate plastics in their packaging and products. This is ongoing with many ceasing the sales of plastic cups, straws, plates etc. Still a buttload to do on this front but its underway

Next PR attempt I guess will be to bring your own container for re-filling cereal.

Again, a lot of places are looking into this and experimenting. If the demand is there it will be rolled out across a lot of products where this makes sense and there are quite a few.

AS for the topic at hand, this will be rolled out to all supermarkets 2022/2023 so Lidl simply pulled off a PR masterstroke and got a load of free publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭pummice

Can the voucher be used in any lidl store or only glenageary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can somebody answer this?

People were saying it will eventually take crushed cans? I know the lidl one does not. Is this the case? are crushed ones taken in other countries. I know a guy who was in Belgium (I think) and was told off for crushing a can, so thought it might not be the case. If crushed are not accepted then this idea that kids or homeless people will do it is not going to work.

Comparing it to the euro in trolleys is ridiculous. If you had to put a fiver or tenner for a trolley and potentially queue up for several minutes to return it, and potentially take another several minites to process the return, then people would similarly be pissed off, esp. those who always did the right thing and did not steal trolleys or leave them flying around car parks knocking into cars.

Comparing to the bag tax/levy is also stupid, I DO see empty bags about the place. Most resuse them, if there was a levy on say bags of crisps, sweet wrappers, or those nets veg come in, and you had to gather them all up and process them in a machine then THAT is more comparable.

Advertisement