Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

I think optimiser are approx 45-50 euro for single panel (higher for dual panel) so thats already 810 euro at midsummer prices ! ( Dual panel version would be 531 but if you have irregular shading then with dual optimiser makes each pair operator like a single panel so if one is affected by shade then output of both panels is reduced by same amount as the affected shaded panel)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Hi all,

I have this quote, pre grant, and would like some thoughts from people more experienced than myself..

10 PANELS 340 WATT JA SOLAR 25 YEARS GUARANTEE

SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER 3.6 KW 

4.8 KW BATTERY

EDDI WATER DIVERTER 

WI FI DONGLE 

9000 EUROS INC.VAT.

Is it going to be a waste having the battery and water diverter?

Thanks in advance

Rn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

First thins first, the price is too high. by 2k ish

Can you fit more panels, if you can get a bigger inverter.

The battery is a good size IMO anything less is pointless. Plus you get a grant for it.

The water diverter works for me and i think you should keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Thanks for the info and suggestions. That was the cheapest quote I have gotten!

Even 10 panels might be too much, site visit will be needed to confirm.

• Advertisement

Hold on just one moment. There is a 6KW inverter out now tell your supplier you want that, they are nearly the same price.

Worth a shot, its just more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was passing the time and a friend sent me a link about fit and they had an option for quotes

I got this today. About 1200 overpriced. A company in Dublin.

System size: 4.4KW - PV Panels - Leapton 440w x 10 - All black Panels.

Panel Mounting - Renusol Pitched Kit.

Inverter - Solis single phase 4G inverter.

Total cost: €7,600 including VAT.

Price above excludes SEAI grant of €1,800.

Price after grant €5,800 ( subject to eligibility )

Warranties - 25 years for both performance and panel, 10 years on inverter.

Workmanship warranty - 5 years.

Insurance – Included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Trigger pulled and grant approved.

20x JA Solar 340w (6.8kw system)

6kw Solis Hybrid

5kw PureDrive battery.

€7600 after grant.

Will get rails extended to allow for another 4 panels when they are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭E30M3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Nice one! Now comes "the long wait" as you look at the roof and wonder what will be :-) I'm hoping the spark will hook me up this week myself.

Dunno if I'd bother with extending the rails to leave them empty. Rails are (relatively) cheap. I'd just get them to fit the panels making sure that your optimizing space for future expansion. A lot of them will install them in the center, which isn't wrong, but really what you want is for them to go top left or bottom right, and work from there so that you have the max space for additional panels. You don't want space for 1/2 a panel on one side and space for 1/2 a panel on the other - if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 RingSting

That's excellent ,

I priced up a similar system for a DIY install & it came in at 7300e without a battery (but with an eddie).

good price alright, like you I priced going diy but couldn't get close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jamesmct007

Hi,

I got a quote last week from the company in Enniskillen.

12 PANELS 4KW 340 WATT JA SOLAR 25 YEARS GUARANTEE.

3.6 KW HYBRID SOLIS INVERTER 

4.8 BATTERY.

EDDIE WATER DIVERTER.

WI FI DONGLE 

PRICE 10,500 EUROS INC.VAT 

TOTAL 7500 EUROS when grant included.

Is this a good price? I had received a price of 11k (excl grant) for 10 panels from a local company so in comparison I think its very good but when I look at other quotes on here it seems a little high.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

They had quoted 4-5 weeks although did say that they are in the area doing another 4 jobs so we will see.

Might as well get them to extend the rails when they are on the roof or certainly get them to fix the hooks at least and leave some slack in the cable.

Not short of room so will get them to start at the top and work down which would leave me room for another row if wanted, could fit 42 panels on the one roof section alone.

Post edited by THE ALM on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thats the exact same price I was quoted, but for 14 panels, and a 6kW hybrid inverter, and the battery is a 5kWh Puredrive battery

I see The Alm has an additional 6 panels, no Eddi and for only €100 more than me....

Getting 20 of the same panels with a bigger inverter without the Eddi for €100 more so seems high.

I do seem to be getting a good price which is while I pulled the trigger in case it changes. As you can see from the photo I posted that it should be a fairly straight forward install so this may be playing a part in the various quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jamesmct007

Might go back and see what they can knock off. Seems like its at least 1k - 1.5k too high based on the extra 8 panels you were quoted.

If it was closer to 6k I would probably go for it for sure.

Massive roof to be fair. I got 14 panels (380w) and I'd say with a bit of jiggery-pokery I might get another 3 on mine, but yeah....you've plenty of space. You should be fine on the cabling and they won't need to leave slack - although you've nothing to lose from mentioning it. Usually what they do is connect the panels in series, so if you add on another panel, they'd hook it into one of the existing strings and that whole string then goes back to the inverter, So additional panels only have to reach the nearest one already there.

However, you're probably approaching the limits of voltage/wattage on a single inverter. I don't know your specifics, but you may have to get an additional inverter if you plan on expanding much (1-2Kwp) beyond what you have already. That's a nice system that. Jealous.

another 2 panels should be fine although 4 pushes me over the 8kw limit of the inverter, will monitor it and see what figures it is producing before deciding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭deravarra

Excellent price in comparison with most of what I've seen. Can you PM details please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I am hearing from a few people that price rises are on the way if not happening right now.

If you are seriously thinking of Solar PV or already have quotes ya better get your skates on.

Please remember value can still be found, don't jump at the first quote but don't hang around.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I had also heard that potentially the grants are going to be looked at, with a view to reducing them…..

they did it with EV’s over €50k, so who’s to say home grants won’t be next for a bit of a chop..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭tnegun

Hey guys thanks for all the info on thread and via DM. I've been learning and pricing a system for a couple of weeks now and want to know have I got the right idea! My roof is small so can only fit 8 panels so a 2.5-3kw array with hot water diverter looks like the solution I'll be going for. All bar one of the companies I've spoken to didn't think it would be worth installing a battery due to the price of the batteries and limited generation power so I'm excluding for now. There's 6 in the house too so hot water is in high demand.

With that in mind, I'm looking for

8x 380w panel

3kw+ Inverter with battery support in case it becomes viable!

Hot water diverter

BER

The SEAI site seems to suggest if I get to 3kw I can claim €2100 as a grant?

Anything wrong or improvements that could be made to that shopping list? Also I'd like to monitor/connect the system to my home automation any advice for that?

Post edited by tnegun on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You will get 1800 grant with no battery.for a small system it's not justified.

A lot of us have gone solar as a service.

7 x 360 w panels payable over 10 years works out at 20 per month over 10 years.

Some of us bought extra panels at 400e each payable in full on installation.

Their diverter over 10 years is too dear. They may do one paid up front For less.

I didn't get one but priced one locally for 435 installed.. I've not decided on it yet

• Advertisement

I take it you've done the math on the roof space verses panel size? Most panels are 360-380w, but there are 450w panels out there which are larger (physically). Depending on the shape of your roof you might be able to squeeze in 8 larger panels over the 8 "regular" sized ones. All depend on how much spare space you have left over with the regular panels I guess.

Another alternative is if hot water is a priority, the evacuated tubes are more efficient in converting suns energy into hot water. Most PV systems run about 20-25% efficient in converting suns energy to usable energy, but the evacuated tubes are in about the 50% range, meaning that you may be able to get more hot water out of that system for more months of the year than you would out of a PV one. I personally don't know much about them to be honest, but perhaps someone whos on the forums can educate us.

Certainly for flexibility the PV system is the way to go. One last alternative is if roof mounting can only give you 8 panels. Perhaps mounting some ground mounted ones may be an option, or perhaps a few panels on a shed? Dunno your layout, but I'd have a think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement